PDA

View Full Version : Down Time and Slow Page Loads

Rick
August 9th, 2012, 9:36 AM
I have submitted numerous requests to the hosting company to correct these issues. I am not happy with this at all and am starting to research hosting companies for a possible switch. I have been with this company for more than ten years with my former forum/domain and it has never been this bad.

I will update you all when and if I decide to move.

My apologies,

Rick

sojourner truth
August 9th, 2012, 9:55 AM
Thank God...I thought it was just me. The last 3 posts took over 5 minutes to post. You really have to want to say something to bother any more. Thanks Rick. It really is getting cumbersome, as I am sure you know. Gives you a whole new definition of "post quick reply".

RockinRita
August 9th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Whew I thought it was my Mac! Thanks Rick~ :)

Rick
August 9th, 2012, 10:26 AM
Probably is your Mac, screwing it up for all of us. Gee thanks! :))

sojourner truth
August 9th, 2012, 11:06 AM
Seems better this time...

Rick
August 9th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Here's the answer that I received from the host after I submitted the "Trouble Ticket".

Hello Rick,

The site is up and loading fine. Please have a check now. There was a load spike in the server and we have reduced and optimized the server load.

Sincerely,

Jose
InsiderHosting.com

I told him that this has been a common occurence lately and asked what can be done to prevent this from happening so frequently. We'll see what they say.

Rick
August 9th, 2012, 1:27 PM
Here's their reply. Unsatisfactory as far as I'm concerned.

Hello Rick,

We understand your concern regarding this issue. Since it is a shared server, any one user activities can affect the entire server performance. I have checked the server logs and found that the load spike happened around 6:30 to 7:30 AM PST. We are giving it top priority to monitor the server during these time period in the coming days during these periods and identifying the core cause behind the load spikes. Please get back to us if you require further assistance.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to let us know.

Mestral
August 9th, 2012, 5:42 PM
I have found that the whole management, and much of the technical staff at most corporations get replaced every few years nowadays. I held a grudge against K-Mart for some years, and against Texaco, and now do business with both because I realize no one who worked there when things went sour would still be there. The same is true in reverse, it is likely no one who worked there when you began doing business with this hosting company is still around.

sojourner truth
August 9th, 2012, 7:17 PM
Reminded me of a saying we used to remind the passengers of at the airport...Don't go hollering at the airline agent because your bag is lost..He's not the guy who lost it, he's the guy that has to find it and you don't want to piss him off.

Rick
August 10th, 2012, 2:55 PM
Is anyone else receiving 406 errors when trying to post?

Mestral
August 10th, 2012, 4:13 PM
I sometimes get a box asking if I am sure I want to leave the page, and sometimes cannot tell if the post "took"
I was assuming it was my system, since I sometimes don't update my java or flash systems when it tells me to.

xzochye
August 10th, 2012, 4:21 PM
I sometimes get a box asking if I am sure I want to leave the page, and sometimes cannot tell if the post "took"
I was assuming it was my system, since I sometimes don't update my java or flash systems when it tells me to.

I have gotten that post on and off for a few months. I thought it was something wrong with my laptop but this is the only site it happens on.

sojourner truth
August 10th, 2012, 4:57 PM
Yep, me too. It asks you if you want to navigate away from the page after digesting your post for a while, then after a few minutes, it will post. It has been faster since yesterday doing this, unless your post starts a new page and then it takes a lot longer. Not sure what a 406 error is.

Rick
August 10th, 2012, 5:07 PM
That's normal. Annoying, but normal.

The other error seems ot be an isolated issue and is fixed now.

Mestral
August 10th, 2012, 5:59 PM
Yep, me too. It asks you if you want to navigate away from the page after digesting your post for a while, then after a few minutes, it will post. . . .Yes that is the one.

I have gotten that post on and off for a few months. I thought it was something wrong with my laptop but this is the only site it happens on.Same here, but this is the only site I post on any more.

Rick
August 10th, 2012, 6:19 PM
If you start to post on a page, then back out of it, that pops up. Hopefully, the new version of the software that I need to install removes that annoyance.

sojourner truth
August 12th, 2012, 2:32 PM
OK, now I am getting all kinds of 404 error alerts whenever I try to post something. This is a new phenomena.

Rick
August 12th, 2012, 2:36 PM
I'll look into it. I haven't had any 406 errors since the other day.

xzochye
August 14th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Pages are loading really slow again.

Rick
August 14th, 2012, 12:46 PM
I just ran the pingdom test and it came out good.

http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/#!/HuZ0JC537/http://centextalk.com

xzochye
August 14th, 2012, 12:49 PM
Yeah, it was faster after I posted this. Go figure! LOL Kinda like going to the doctor, you feel horrible until you get there!

Rick
August 14th, 2012, 12:51 PM
I gett hat after I report an issue to the host. It is usually fixed by the time I click submit. Oh well, that's what I pay them for.

Mestral
October 2nd, 2012, 8:47 AM
Is anyone else receiving 406 errors when trying to post?

I believe I have found a partial clue to the 406 errors. I got some this morning:
406 Not Acceptable
Not Acceptable
An appropriate representation of the requested resource /vb/newthread.php could not be found on this server.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server at www.centextalk.com Port 80

I traced it to having the ' u r l ' tag inside a 'quote' tag, and found it sometimes wouldn't take it, even if it put the tag there itself, as in when I hit page preview or edit.

sojourner truth
October 2nd, 2012, 9:33 AM
Yep...I tried to post something 3 times yesterday and WHAM...it just dissapeared with a 406 error message on the screen. I just quit trying.

Then, I couldn't even find the thread agin. It's like it evaporated or something.

Rick
October 2nd, 2012, 9:44 AM
Strange, it's been fine for me since I got them to make the change when KISD locked us out.

Mestral
October 2nd, 2012, 9:53 AM
I think the problem is a remarkably narrow set of circumstances. I had a # sign in one u r l that it refused to allow, but not in another. But in a third case, it didn't seem to mind the u r l.

It may be that only certain characters in the u r l cause a problem, and then only when the u r l is inside a 'quote' box.

My solution was to remove the u r l tags and allow the editor to reinstall them as it posted. That seemed to work.