PDA

View Full Version : Most Expensive High School Stadium in the Country Set to Open

BobKerley
August 7th, 2012, 10:23 AM
We do things a little bigger in Texas. I think this is larger than a few D-1 stadiums. It seats 18,000 and includes a 75-foot long high-definition video scoreboard, 42 concession stands and 192 public restrooms.

New $60 million Allen High School stadium one of a kind

WFAA
posted on august 3, 2012 at 6:00 pm

allen - it’s an unprecedented amount of money spent on a high school sports facility.

friday, wfaa took our first look inside the $60 million complex for football and other sports in allen.

they say everything is bigger in texas. walk into the new allen eagle stadium and you understand exactly what they mean. there's nothing like it anywhere in the country. when eagle stadium opens on august 31, it will instantly become the nation's largest and most expensive high school football stadium.

at first glance, it's hard to believe it's a high school stadium. it holds 18,000, 4,000 more than district's old stadium.

"Eighteen-thousand seats is definitely something that is unheard of in terms of a high school stadium," said Christian Herr, who works with the architectural firm that designed the stadium.

Even though a single game has yet to be played at Eagle Stadium, its size and price tag are making national headlines. College recruiters who visit Allen are also in awe.

"During the recruiting season, there were a lot of colleges coming in here," said Allen Coach Tom Westerberg. "Coaches were taking pictures and bringing them back."

So, what about that exorbitant price tag? Allen voters approved bonds in 2009 to build the stadium.

"As far as the price tag, the citizens of Allen approved that," said Steve Williams, Allen ISD athletic director. "And so, it was something they felt like they needed and something they voted for."

Allen will play only six regular season games at the stadium this year. But, district officials emphasize the athletic complex will be used every day, all year round. Among the amenities are a vast weight room, an area for the three-time state wrestling champs and an indoor golf practice area.

"If they didn't want it, they could have voted it down," Westerberg said. "And they didn't."

Some other features of Eagle Stadium include a 75-foot long high-definition video scoreboard, 42 concession stands and 192 public restrooms.

The first game will pit Allen against nemesis Southlake Carroll on August 31.

More Allen stadium pics:

BobKerley
August 7th, 2012, 10:29 AM
The writer didnt do his research. As of 2010...

10 Largest High School Football Stadiums
By: Alya Khalid Break Studios Contributing Writer

Wondering where the 10 largest high school football stadiums are located? Since American football is one of the most popular high school sports, administrators are trying to make larger and better facilities to accommodate their fans. Here are the 10 largest high school football stadiums.

1. Alamo stadium. This is the largest high school football stadium with the seating arrangement for 23,000 people. This stadium situated in San Antonio, Texas is a home ground for a lot of high schools like Jefferson high school, Sam Houston high school, Burbank high school.
2. Fawcett Stadium in Ohio. A stadium with seating capacity of 22,375 people is the one of the largest high school football stadiums.
3. Memorial stadium in Mesquite, Texas. This is located on the campus of West Mesquite high school. It has a capacity of around 20,000 people.
4. Ratliff Stadium in Odessa, Texas. It is a home field for two public high schools, Odessa and Permian high school. It has a capacity of 19,302 people.
5. Eagle Stadium in Allen, Texas. This is the newest and most popular stadium of the state. It has a seating capacity of 18,000 people. The home school of this stadium is Allen high school (Allen, Texas).
6. San Angelo stadium in Texas. This is the fourth largest high school football stadium in Texas. It can hold 17,500 people in a game.
7. Stallworth Stadium in Texas. This stadium is a home field for two high schools in Baytown, Texas. It has a capacity of 16,500 people.
8. Paul Brown Tiger Stadium in Massillon, Ohio. This is one of the largest high school football stadiums. It has a seating capacity of 16,392. The home school of this stadium is Washington High School.
9. Stadium Bowl, Tacoma, Washington. This is one of the oldest and biggest arenas of football. It has a seating capacity of 15,000 people.
10. Bazemore and Hyder stadium in Valdosta, Georgia. It is one of the largest high school football stadiums. It has the seating capacity of 10,349 people and is going under renovations to increase the capacity to 11,249 seats

I believe that FC Dallas Stadium seats over 20,000 and is partially owned by the Frisco ISD (though it's not a home stadium for any other programs). I think the WFAA report meant (or should have said) the largest stadium for one single high school. But even that list you posted is wrong. Shotwell Stadium in Abilene seats a little over 15,000 (20,000 including the grass berms). Maverick Stadium in Arlington (owned by UT-Arlington bu the home stadium for Arlington High and Arlington Grace Prep) seats 15,000. Dick Bivens Stadium in Amarillo seats 15,000. Grande Communications Stadium in Midland seats 15,000 (18,000 with the grass berm). Mesquite Memorial Stadium seats 20,000 but has no one single team that calls i home and instead is used by the 5 Mesguite ISD high schools. Tully Stadium in Spring Branch seats 15,000. I could go on. There's at least a dozen stadiums with capacities of 15,000+ in the state.

BobKerley
August 7th, 2012, 10:38 AM
I remember 10 years ago when the Midland ISD opened Grande Communications Stadium. It cost just under $30 million and that included a minor league baseball stadium next door. There was nothing like that stadium at the time...

Now, it's probably not even top 10.

BobKerley
August 7th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Some Allen Stadium pics that were posted to the Dallas Morning News website...

BobKerley
August 7th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Just for comparison sake, the University of North Texas opened their new 30,000 seat stadium last year, built for $78 million...

CenTexDave
August 7th, 2012, 4:35 PM
Yes, Bob, but consider:
The AlamoDome is home to many high schools, not just one. Itis owned by the city, not any school district.
Fawcett Stadium, Canton, OH, is home to the Pro Football Hall of Fame game. It is also home field for Canton McKinely HS and Canton Timken HS, and two small Div III universities.
Ratliff Stadium in Odessa is home field for Odessa Permian, Odessa and their other high school (forget the name). Same with Midland.
San Angelo Stadium is home to San Angelo Central and San Angelo State University. I don't know if San Angelo's other two high schools play there or not.
Allen is a rich community. If they have it to build it, why not?
Nobody bashed Southlake when Carroll High School built that domed indoor practice facility. Hell, they got their money back by renting it to the Cowboys. :))

BobKerley
August 7th, 2012, 4:52 PM
Yes, Bob, but consider:
The AlamoDome is home to many high schools, not just one. Itis owned by the city, not any school district.
Fawcett Stadium, Canton, OH, is home to the Pro Football Hall of Fame game. It is also home field for Canton McKinely HS and Canton Timken HS, and two small Div III universities.
Ratliff Stadium in Odessa is home field for Odessa Permian, Odessa and their other high school (forget the name). Same with Midland.
San Angelo Stadium is home to San Angelo Central and San Angelo State University. I don't know if San Angelo's other two high schools play there or not.
Allen is a rich community. If they have it to build it, why not?
Nobody bashed Southlake when Carroll High School built that domed indoor practice facility. Hell, they got their money back by renting it to the Cowboys. :))

agree with everything... and,yes, most of those large stadiums listed above are shared. I also agree that if you have the money and that is what you want, go for it. I dont think Killeen should build anything, anywhere close to what is listed above but the current KISD stadium is not adequate and parking is terrible. I think the city should consider a large, joint use stadium with good access to 190. As these schools continue to grow in size and quantity, there just isnt anywhere go to with the current facility, IMO.

CenTexDave
August 7th, 2012, 5:59 PM
Leo Buckley is just fine. There's plenty of parking.
Of course, when Cove plays there I park outside on the street near the visitors' bleachers. We always outnumber the home teams fans about 3 - 1.:)

RooDawg
August 8th, 2012, 6:38 PM
agree with everything... and,yes, most of those large stadiums listed above are shared. I also agree that if you have the money and that is what you want, go for it. I dont think Killeen should build anything, anywhere close to what is listed above but the current KISD stadium is not adequate and parking is terrible. I think the city should consider a large, joint use stadium with good access to 190. As these schools continue to grow in size and quantity, there just isnt anywhere go to with the current facility, IMO.

If you ask KISD, they do have "a large, joint use stadium with good access to 190." That stadium is suppose to be the new fort hood stadium currently being built...oh, by the way, there are only going to be seating on one side of the field.

CenTexDave
August 8th, 2012, 7:02 PM
Enjoy. Too much hassle to get on Fort Hood, with a decal even.

IronErnin
August 9th, 2012, 10:46 AM
With 192 public restrooms, I just hope they operate their own paper mill. :-) :) :)) ;)

BobKerley
August 9th, 2012, 1:22 PM
If you ask KISD, they do have "a large, joint use stadium with good access to 190." That stadium is suppose to be the new fort hood stadium currently being built...oh, by the way, there are only going to be seating on one side of the field.

I havent heard that but I havent been tracking it either. Is the intent to use the new Fort Hood Stadium for KISD games and events? Has there been something published on this? I'm not doubting you; just would like to learn more about it.

BobKerley
August 9th, 2012, 1:23 PM
With 192 public restrooms, I just hope they operate their own paper mill. :-) :) :)) ;)

hahaha That DOES imply that they are full of ****, doesnt it? :))

Gramps
August 9th, 2012, 1:35 PM
Each of the four KISD High Schools has one or two games scheduled for the new Fort Hood Stadium this year <https://www.killeenisd.org/departmentDocs/c874/documents/KISDHighSchool.pdf>. As I understand it, there is supposed to be a Hood Stadium entrance that does not require fans to process through the normal time conusming Visitors Center.

I havent heard that but I havent been tracking it either. Is the intent to use the new Fort Hood Stadium for KISD games and events? Has there been something published on this? I'm not doubting you; just would like to learn more about it.

BobKerley
August 9th, 2012, 1:55 PM
Each of the four KISD High Schools has one or two games scheduled for the new Fort Hood Stadium this year <https://www.killeenisd.org/departmentDocs/c874/documents/KISDHighSchool.pdf>. As I understand it, there is supposed to be a Hood Stadium entrance that does not require fans to process through the normal time conusming Visitors Center.

Thanks for the link. That's awesome. I'm going to try and make those games. I like to hang out with the cars guys (at Home Depot most of the times) on Friday evenings but I like to go to HS football games in the fall.

IronErnin
August 9th, 2012, 4:23 PM
hahaha That DOES imply that they are full of ****, doesnt it? :))

Nothing of the sort. But with that many public restrooms, a papermill would be useful in keeping them all properly stocked. ;)

gnatsum
August 9th, 2012, 5:59 PM
Odessa still has two high schools (Odessa and Permian), just like Midland (Midland and Midland Lee). Midland's ISD is looking at expanding into a third high school, while Odessa has a TECHNICAL school campus (forgot the name) that doesn't play football. It's too close to Odessa's main campus anyway. There ARE rumors of either expanding the tech school or taking the "alternative" school and expanding it.

CenTexDave
August 9th, 2012, 10:02 PM
Midland has a 3-A high school also, I can't remember their name, but they are pretty good and have advanced fairly far into the playoffs.

Brian McCall
August 9th, 2012, 11:28 PM
"Allen voters approved bonds"

Let me fix that for you. A bunch of sports-fixated a-holes decided it was just dandy to rob their less-fixated neighbors to pay for this vast, wasteful piece of self-indulgent vanity sh*t.

If I lived in this town, I would move. I would sell my property, and make sure not a single dime of mine ever went to benefit anyone in that town again. What a load of horsesh*t that is.

If you think your little vanity pastimes are that valuable, you find some way to pay for it yourself. This, this borders on criminal. This should have been funded ONLY by the people who voted for the bonds.

BobKerley
August 10th, 2012, 2:13 AM
Allen desperately needed the new stadium and despite it's cost, it will generate a lot of revenue for the district. They didn't need to build a $60 million stadium, but because it was a bond election, that is not money that can legally be used for anything but facilities (you can't hire teacher or buy text books with that money) It was part of a greater $120 million bond package that is also building a new performing arts center at the high school. It is at that performing arts center that you will find maybe the greatest extravagance, a brand new $100,000 Steinway grand piano...

Allen High buys Steinway grand piano for performing arts center (http://www.dallasnews.com/news/community-news/allen/headlines/20101215-allen-high-buys-steinway-grand-piano-for-performing-arts-center.ece)

In May 2009, Allen ISD residents approved a $119 million bond package that included the stadium, which has a weight room and indoor golf practice area, and the $23.3 million performing arts center. The piano's cost was factored into funding for the arts center.

I think it's over the top but again, if over 66% of the voters wanted it, then it's on them.

Brian McCall
August 11th, 2012, 4:27 AM
Allen desperately needed the new stadium and despite it's cost, it will generate a lot of revenue for the district. They didn't need to build a $60 million stadium, but because it was a bond election, that is not money that can legally be used for anything but facilities (you can't hire teacher or buy text books with that money) It was part of a greater $120 million bond package that is also building a new performing arts center at the high school. It is at that performing arts center that you will find maybe the greatest extravagance, a brand new $100,000 Steinway grand piano...

Allen High buys Steinway grand piano for performing arts center (http://www.dallasnews.com/news/community-news/allen/headlines/20101215-allen-high-buys-steinway-grand-piano-for-performing-arts-center.ece)

In May 2009, Allen ISD residents approved a $119 million bond package that included the stadium, which has a weight room and indoor golf practice area, and the $23.3 million performing arts center. The piano's cost was factored into funding for the arts center.

I think it's over the top but again, if over 66% of the voters wanted it, then it's on them.

Yes, those 66% and NO ONE ELSE need to have their property taxes raised. That is how it should be done.

BobKerley
August 11th, 2012, 8:27 AM
Yes, those 66% and NO ONE ELSE need to have their property taxes raised. That is how it should be done.

Would you apply that same rational to ALL bond issues?

For some reason, I dont think you do but, if you do, that must mean you are against all bond initiatives. If that is so, no large initiatives would ever get passed. Furthermore, the administration of selective taxation would be a nightmare. If you want to go down the road of selective taxation, then you really need to sell shares for a project rather than a municipality. Maybe you're smart enough to figure out how to make that work. Bottom line is: A person who is deeply offended by a school district that wants to be excellent in all areas, including sports, then that person should move to a different area.

CenTexDave
August 11th, 2012, 9:35 AM
Bond issues? Doesn't seem to matter in Bell County. Vote no and they build it anyway.
In Coryell County we vote yes and they don't build it.
:))

IronErnin
August 11th, 2012, 11:04 AM

After taxing just those that voted for it, I suppose you'll go further and allow only those who paid for it, use it.
I can just picture this scene...
The headcoach telling a new rising talent LB that he can't be on the team because his parents voted against the bond issue.

kantwin
August 11th, 2012, 11:09 AM
After taxing just those that voted for it, I suppose you'll go further and allow only those who paid for it, use it.
The headcoach telling a new rising talent LB that he can't be on the team because his parents voted against the bond issue.
Or didn't for FOR it - as in if they didn't vote, period, or if they moved to the area after it was a bond issue...

BobKerley
August 11th, 2012, 11:54 AM

wow... I didnt think of that angle.

BobKerley
August 11th, 2012, 12:05 PM
I think even from the Frisco and Plano perspective, the Allen stadium is excessive but that is apparently what Allen wants for all their academic and extracurricular activities. The football stadium was one of the last big ticket item upgrades that they needed to make and, by needing an upgrade, I'm not exaggerating on that. If you are willing to spend $60 million on a performing arts center for the high school, spending the same amount on a football stadium is a no-brainer, relatively speaking.

It is a small college... literally. Allen High is home to a Collin County Community College campus. It includes a Collin County CC wing where high school students can take advanced classes here to get a head start on college credits on the high school campus.

Really though, Allen is not the norm. There are around 1,800 high schools in the state of Texas... 3 have enrollments of 5,000 or more (and they're all right next to each other in Allen High, Plano East and Plano High) and only 8 have enrollments of 4,000 or more. Of those 1,800 or so high schools, only 245 are in class 5A (enrollments of 2,000+) so a vast majority of the high schools in the state have enrollments in grades 9-12 less than the enrollment at Allen's freshman campus.

They also previously spent $60M on a new Performing Arts wing including a state of the art auditorium, a culinary teaching facility that includes a cafe that the students cook and serve the general public in an official business setting, a retail center where students learn marketing, advertising and distribution and get hands on experience with a spirit store

And the few really big schools, aren't hurting academically. When Newsweek listed the top 1,000 high schools in America Plano West was #63, Plano High was #108, Plano East was #243 and Allen was #651. All the Plano schools and Allen also made the Washington Post's list of "America's Most Challenging High Schools". FWIW, the Dallas ISD's magnet high schools consistently rank as the very best public high school in America.

Make no mistake, Allen along with the three Plano high schools are massive and outstanding schools. And they are that because of money. Plano is the most affluent city in America with a population of more than 250,000 and Allen is even more affluent with the average annual family income over $100,000. That kind of money buys a lot of nice new things, tutors, computers, etc. which is generally why those schools are so good despite their size.

gnatsum
August 11th, 2012, 2:24 PM
Midland has a 3-A high school also, I can't remember their name, but they are pretty good and have advanced fairly far into the playoffs.

Friend of mine clued me in--Midland ISD's superintendent WANTS a THIRD High School, as of a public hearing this week on what to do with the HSs. First proposed plan was to expand BOTH Midland and Midland Lee, second plan was to replace Midland Lee with a NEW LARGER high school campus and turn the existing Lee campus into a middle school (MISD is currently Junior High, not Middle School), and the third proposal was to build an all new third HS campus.
Super was quoted as saying the third plan is THE WAY to go...$131 mill for #3, and a further $99 mill to updgrade Lee. One downside to three schools? ALL THREE are expected to be at 3A enrollment levels (for now...).
http://www.mywesttexas.com/life/education/article_e7566310-e2ab-11e1-a223-001a4bcf887a.html
And that 'technical' high school in Odessa is called New Tech Odessa, or NTO for short. Decent sized campus, but no room for athletics, unless some bulldozers come out and take out a few businesses along Andrews Highway, or in the residential areas across the street (maybe take out Circle Drive, move the parking lot to the corner, and build out from the front of the school??)

CenTexDave
August 11th, 2012, 7:31 PM
They have a third high school: http://www.midlandisd.net/site/Default.aspx?PageID=13751

Brian McCall
August 11th, 2012, 9:49 PM

No, those who paid for it will have membership. Everyone else will pay an entrance fee which will also be used to pay off the debt. Thereafter, all monies earned from the fees can be used for maintenance and anything left can be disbursed to the ones who paid for it originally as dividends.

I much like Bob Kerly's idea of selling shares. I think that is a wonderful idea and that is how all such things should be paid for.

gnatsum
August 12th, 2012, 2:27 PM
They have a third high school: http://www.midlandisd.net/site/Default.aspx?PageID=13751

Interesting. On the one hand, MISD has THREE High Schools, but on the other hand...they DON'T count Coleman?!? AND judging by the link in your post, one has to APPLY in order to get their teenager accepted to Coleman.
The link in my post above contains the following paragraph "With option three, a new Midland High School would be built on an undetermined site for $131.6 million, a third high school built at an undetermined site for $131.6 million and $99.7 million in renovations and upgrades would be completed at Lee High School." (having just re-read that, I get the impression that MISD is planning to build TWO NEW HIGH SCHOOL CAMPUSES at the same time!)
Maybe Coleman is one of those "magnet" high schools for the District's "best and brightest" or 'specialized' arts and/or science students, but doesn't "exist" in the UIL's world of athletic competion.
Hmmm...

IronErnin
August 12th, 2012, 3:27 PM
Maybe Coleman is one of those "magnet" high schools for the District's "best and brightest" or 'specialized' arts and/or science students, but doesn't "exist" in the UIL's world of athletic competion.
Hmmm...

There are competitive events in UIL that aren't sports based. Almost all school based competition is UIL sponsored and sanctioned.

gnatsum
August 13th, 2012, 6:49 PM
True, but does the UIL bracket the non-atheltic competitions the same way they do athletics, for example would Florence High School's choir compete in the same contests as Killeen's or Cove's, IF the choirs happened to be the same size, even if the student bodies weren't?
Vaguely remember competing in Industrial Arts back in my HS days, but don't remember how it worked then.

CenTexDave
September 1st, 2012, 8:55 AM
Surprise, surprise.
Midland also has Midland Christian Academy that competes in UIL sports. Mark up 4 high schools then, but I don't know if this school uses Midland's stadium.

IronErnin
September 1st, 2012, 9:16 AM
I've got a question. When a district has multiple schools that use a single facility, when they play one another how do they choose who is the Home team and who're the visitors?

xzochye
September 1st, 2012, 9:21 AM
I've got a question. When a district has multiple schools that use a single facility, when they play one another how do they choose who is the Home team and who're the visitors?

The schools alternate. For example last year SHS was home and Ellison was the visitors, this year SHS are the visitors. Not sure if there is something more technical behind it.

CenTexDave
September 1st, 2012, 10:17 AM
I guess the people in Allen now think this stadium is worth every penny:
"ALLEN, Texas (AP) - Allen High School in suburban Dallas has christened its new $60 million stadium with a shutout win.
The Eagles beat defending state champion Southlake Carroll 24-0 on Friday night. Southlake won a Class 5A division championship in 2011 and was ranked No. 1 in The Associated Press' 5A poll.
Allen was No. 8.
More than 21,000 people attended the game at new Eagle Stadium, which has generated national interest for its upper deck, concrete seating and high-definition video board. The stadium has seats for 18,000.
The stadium was built as part of a $119 million bond package approved by local voters in 2009."

xzochye
February 27th, 2014, 7:20 PM
And it is indefinitely closing, ALREADY!!

http://www.kwtx.com/_254sports/home/headlines/60-Million-High-School-Football-Stadium-Closed-Indefinitely-247648591.html

Iteachtoo
February 27th, 2014, 8:17 PM
Proves bigger is not always better!

Ludwig
February 27th, 2014, 9:32 PM
The inevitable outcome when you contract with the lowest bidder. They would have been better off spending a bit more for the best quality.

IronErnin
February 28th, 2014, 6:32 AM
I can remember high school football games played in an open field with portable goal posts and scoreboard and a cafeteria table and folding chairs for a press box. Oh yeah, and fan seating was 'bring your own'! Why is that not good enough, any longer?

CenTexDave
February 28th, 2014, 7:13 AM
This is Texas. Gotta have a better stadium than your opponent. lol
Hope this makes the citizens of Allen start asking long and hard questions. A $60M high school stadium!! :))
Waco ISD Stadium is great and cost, I believe, $15M. Still too expensive, but it serves multiple schools.
Round Rock's Crystal Palace is fabulous. I don't know its cost, am sure it was much more than $15M but serves 5 high schools.
Hell, Leo Buckley is a great stadium.
Allen is on top of the Texas high school football world these past couple of years. It won't always be this way. Then what - let the stadium crumble? :)

JoAnn Purser
February 28th, 2014, 8:03 AM
I can remember high school football games played in an open field with portable goal posts and scoreboard and a cafeteria table and folding chairs for a press box. Oh yeah, and fan seating was 'bring your own'! Why is that not good enough, any longer?

Was there a half time? ;)

xzochye
February 28th, 2014, 8:11 AM

We have come along way since your days. I think I see you in this drawing. :)

IronErnin
February 28th, 2014, 8:47 AM
Yeppers, that's me, third from the back.