PDA

View Full Version : General Olympics Observations

FieryPrincess
August 4th, 2012, 1:37 PM
We have enjoyed watching them as a family. It seems like they are always on and at least you know it is family style entertainment.

I do not care very much for how they handled showing some of the sports. Instead of showing the event, they showed top contenders in the event. I found this especially egregious in men's all-around gymnastics when the one guy made a big mistake and we saw no more of his events. I didn't care that he was no longer a medal contender. He was one of ours and I wanted to watch.

I also wanted to watch some of the contenders that had no prayer. They were still better than I could ever do in those events. It would be nice to watch humans being human rather than always watching the ones who were so perfect that we called them robots.

I can't tell if it is because I am older and I have less patience or if the commentators really get worse every time they are on. Either way, someone should tell them that they don't have to talk every second because there are only so many intelligent comments they can make. The rest is just twaddle and annoying.

I love watching how proud some of the athletes are. As much as I didn't like hearing every pool event tied back to Michael Phelps, I enjoyed watching him come some sort of an epiphany with himself during the games. I love watching the swimmers when they were surprised to see how well they did. I loved it when the gymnasts were so upset and someone had the presence of mind to step between the gymnast and the cameraman. I didn't like having to watch their pain. That should be private.

I want to know why (when we hear of past Olympic greats) why we never hear about Bruce Jenner anymore?

cityboy
August 4th, 2012, 1:45 PM
I think the coverage has been pretty bad. Every time I turn to the Olympics, it seems like I get kayaking or water polo or something ...

sojourner truth
August 4th, 2012, 3:31 PM
Yep, water polo is like watching paint dry. As far as Jenner, anyone would beat seeing Mary Lou Retton again. I got so tired of seeing her over the years. I'll never eat wheaties again. Bob Richards is my hero. Ypu're right about the commentators. Only Tom Grieve of the Rangers is worse. You know, the guy who tells you about all the hot bats the rangers had years ago while they are losing a game 18 to 2? I liked the interviews with the royal kids. Is it me, or does it seem like there is a lot of cheating going on this year? I'll watch swimming and track and field, but since when is trampoline an olympic sport? Get real. Womens beach volley ball is good too. Sometimes I even look at the score....:)

Grammar Rules
August 4th, 2012, 4:18 PM
My husband was just griping about the trampoline competition. "A child's game." And this is not bashing the Romneys, but horse dancing? Seriously? Whoever can buy the best horse and pay the best trainer wins a medal? Why not dog tricks? Lion taming?

We just watched the men's 10,000 meter race, and it was a joy to watch the British Gold Medal winner and the American Silver winner exulting, hugging, and celebrating together. Very classy.

siamcat
August 4th, 2012, 5:18 PM
I have to agree the announcers talk to much about the same stuff over and over.

It also upset me when we saw no more of the other male gymnast.

We record it and fast forward through the blather so we can still watch some of our other shows on other channels. Although the story about the "Magnificent Seven" made me tear up, since I watched it live.
Overall, I think our American Athletes have a lot of class and are representing us well ( not just in the standings).

Water Polo is boring, except for the Speedos:), as long as I don't look at the silly caps. I swear the one guy with the beard looked like the wolf acting as grandma with that cap.

sojourner truth
August 4th, 2012, 5:54 PM
Yep, those young ladies are heros aren't they. All the stuff Gabby had to go through just to get there. Wow. I sure hope she gets all the opportunities her efforts have earned her. Talk about "you've come a long way baby". Our common heritage with the Brits has been the talk of both camps I hear. 2 People seperated by a common language. Loved it that the queens neice won a medal (silver) for her country dancing that horse over some fake castles. The royal family was busting its buttons. And how about her majesty and that parachuting thing with James Bond. How cool was that? And little Missy Franklin..17 years old and winning gold. Did anyone see the sendoff her high school gave her in Denver? Just ordinary American kids doing extraordinary things. The best part is watching them sing the National anthem when they get their medals. No other countrys athletes do that. Our kids know the words and sing them proudly with a tear in their eye. Now that will make you tear up fer sure.

kantwin
August 4th, 2012, 10:36 PM
Anyone notice that there are some of the American Athletes that do not place their hand on their heart when the national anthem is played for THEM?
How disrespectful.

FieryPrincess
August 5th, 2012, 12:46 AM
Did you catch the little 15 year old that won the 800 meter freestyle?

My husband and I were laughing at the prospect of what happens when their high school swim teams go to compete (if Missy and the 15YO are on their high school teams).

"You hold the speed record for your school? We have an Olympic GOLD medalist on our team!"

Grammar Rules
August 5th, 2012, 6:43 AM
Anyone notice that there are some of the American Athletes that do not place their hand on their heart when the national anthem is played for THEM?
How disrespectful.

When reciting the Pledge of Allegiance, all present should stand at attention facing the flag with their right hand over their heart, with the exception of those in uniform who shall salute.
When the national anthem is played or sung:
Designation: The composition consisting of the words and music known as the Star-Spangled Banner is the national anthem.
Conduct During Playing: During a rendition of the national anthem:
When the flag is displayed:[14]
individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note;
members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute in the manner provided for individuals in uniform; and
all other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, and men not in uniform, if applicable, should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and
when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Flag_Code#Parading_and_saluting_the_ flag

According to the above, since the flag is being lowered BEHIND the platform, they should turn their backs and face it. Maybe the Olympic Committee should correct that. :rolleyes

corgifan
August 5th, 2012, 1:43 PM
Anyone notice that there are some of the American Athletes that do not place their hand on their heart when the national anthem is played for THEM? How disrespectful.
Why is that disrespectful? As long as they stand at attention (or at least stand up straight) and keep their eyes on the flag that's plenty respectful enough.

sojourner truth
August 5th, 2012, 4:13 PM
Everyone is supposed to salute. Either hand over the heart, or a military salute for active duty military or veterans. To simply stand is not a sign of respect. I missed it, but would love to know who was disrespecting their flag and nation by not rendering the proper honor. Grammars right about facing the flag too. I would expect something like that from a professional athlete, but not from those representing their country. Of course, if we give the benefit of the doubt, there may be some who smply forgot in the emotions of the moment or weren't aware they were supposed to. I can understand that. But if it is done as some sort of "statement" they should not be allowed to compete for their supposed country.

kantwin
August 5th, 2012, 4:19 PM
I missed it, but would love to know who was disrespecting their flag and nation by not rendering the proper honor.
Serena Williams, for one, after her singles gold medal win.

cnjbond
August 5th, 2012, 4:50 PM
Serena Williams, for one, after her singles gold medal win.

I think the flag falling to the ground was more of an offense than Serena's perceived disrespect of the National Anthem & Flag.

kantwin
August 5th, 2012, 5:17 PM
I think the flag falling to the ground was more of an offense than Serena's perceived disrespect of the National Anthem & Flag.

Athlete cannot control that. They CAN control what Rey do or don't do on the podium.

FieryPrincess
August 5th, 2012, 5:38 PM
Of course, if we give the benefit of the doubt, there may be some who smply forgot in the emotions of the moment or weren't aware they were supposed to. I can understand that. But if it is done as some sort of "statement" they should not be allowed to compete for their supposed country.

It is also entirely possible that they were given instructions on which way to face for staging purposes. After all - televising this thing is worth bazillions.

cnjbond
August 5th, 2012, 5:44 PM
Athlete cannot control that. They CAN control what Rey do or don't do on the podium.

If she did it purposefully as some seem to think...

Ludwig
August 5th, 2012, 5:49 PM
The hosts, unfortunately, chose to hoist the flags to the rear of the winning athletes. I guess they could turn around and show their butts to the TV audience but then you'd bitch about them disrespecting you. At any rate, they should stand and place their hands over their hearts (or render a hand salute if authorized) while the National Anthem is being played.

sojourner truth
August 5th, 2012, 6:17 PM
Well, I'll reserve an opinion until I hear a resposne frome Serena. She may have been unaware of the courtesy. Or forgot. Or may have never done it before. If it even becomes an issue.

siamcat
August 5th, 2012, 7:26 PM
Most of the ceremonies I've seen ( and I didn't watch the Tennis one) the American athletes are proudly singing along with their hands over their heart.
I guess the flag being raised behind them is done for visual effect and while proper protocol says you should face the flag I would find it kind of strange to look at their behinds. Maybe they have a TV screen in front of the athletes for them to still face the flag....

onetime
August 5th, 2012, 9:34 PM
Why is that disrespectful? As long as they stand at attention (or at least stand up straight) and keep their eyes on the flag that's plenty respectful enough.

I don't know if it is disrespect more so a lack of knowledge for the custom.

onetime
August 5th, 2012, 9:40 PM
Back to the overall discussion, I find the olympics to be nothing more then the Easter bunny or Santa Claus. Something that was so neat as a youngster but kind of wore off as I've gotten older. I would like to note in contradiction to my last statement I met a guy at a house warming the other day that participated in the 2004 Olympics and won a gold medal, talked to him for about an hour I was a little in awe. Lastly, the olympics in my opinion should stick to the winning recipe talk about the kids and their background, once that kid is overly discussed, talk about other kids and their background everything doesn't have to be about Michael phelps oversized head and his mom clapping while she watches. I wish they would stop screaming about all of the endorsements these people are going to make, "WE GET IT"

siamcat
August 5th, 2012, 10:21 PM
Back to the overall discussion, I find the olympics to be nothing more then the Easter bunny or Santa Claus. Something that was so neat as a youngster but kind of wore off as I've gotten older. I would like to note in contradiction to my last statement I met a guy at a house warming the other day that participated in the 2004 Olympics and won a gold medal, talked to him for about an hour I was a little in awe. Lastly, the olympics in my opinion should stick to the winning recipe talk about the kids and their background, once that kid is overly discussed, talk about other kids and their background everything doesn't have to be about Michael phelps oversized head and his mom clapping while she watches. I wish they would stop screaming about all of the endorsements these people are going to make, "WE GET IT"

I feel sad for you.

FieryPrincess
August 6th, 2012, 12:11 AM

Is flag etiquette taught outside of the scouts anymore?

I was appalled at the amount of people who didn't stand as the official flag and honor guard went by at the local parade.

My kids stand with their hand over their hearts.

As for facing the flag - I read once that most countries aren't as into their flags as we Americans are.

sojourner truth
August 6th, 2012, 8:20 AM
I'd love to hear the full story about Gabby. She's just so full of life and exuberates hope for a better future that stands as a model for kids today to take to heart. My understanding is that she is now in a position to help her mom out financially. That's great. Missy Franklins story is great too. Although I find her fascination with Justin Bieber a bit disconcerting. It's so hard to see her as a 17 year old high school kid. Her interview last night was so uplifting. I am also taken by the contrast between what the Chinese athletes and the American athletes go through to get to the olympics.
The brightest spot in the olympics is seeing all the kids from all over the world in one place doing the same thing. Despite the doping and cheating blurbs that pop up, I see hope every time we all get together to compete. I am also happy to see the Brits getting some gold also.

Rick
August 6th, 2012, 10:19 AM
Um, has anyone ever been to a sporting event in the US where the National Anthem WASN'T played? Maybe little league etc, I don't remember.

These people are athletes, I think it is safe to say that they have been to a sporting event or two.

Anyone who doesn't pay the proper respect to the flag is a self centered, egotistical, bottom feeding, mouth breathing, knuckle-dragging jerk!

cityboy
August 6th, 2012, 10:30 AM
How dare you say something like that about Serena Williams! :)

cnjbond
August 6th, 2012, 11:33 AM
Um, has anyone ever been to a sporting event in the US where the National Anthem WASN'T played? Maybe little league etc, I don't remember.

These people are athletes, I think it is safe to say that they have been to a sporting event or two.

Anyone who doesn't pay the proper respect to the flag is a self centered, egotistical, bottom feeding, mouth breathing, knuckle-dragging jerk!

I used to think the same thing. Just recently at my son's Basic Training graduation, there were plenty of folks in the small auditorium that didn't place their hands over their heart although they were standing and singing the National Anthem...some people just don't know...at least I hope that's why they didn't and it wasn't because they didn't care. They were singing so they obviously had a little bit of patriotism in 'em.

mac
August 6th, 2012, 11:47 AM

or harwick yesterday afternoon. i've already sent my complaint to nascar. jeff didn't do it either but at least he was holdin' a little baby in his arms so he does have an excuse....a lame one but still an excuse...mac

Rick
August 6th, 2012, 12:17 PM
Don't go starting rumors. :))

Rick
August 6th, 2012, 2:54 PM
Whoever can buy the best horse and pay the best trainer wins a medal? Why not dog tricks? Lion taming?

Are you saying that you could climb on the winning horse and win the same medal?

Ludwig
August 6th, 2012, 4:12 PM
I have seen riderless horses complete a steeple-chase and horses cut calf with no input from their rider. IMHO, a rider on a good horse is no more than an accessory and if a medal is awarded it should go to the horse. I don't consider those horse events to be sport. However, my opinion is worth less than fourth place in any event.

kantwin
August 6th, 2012, 4:20 PM
Horses can't pay taxes on the medal.

Ludwig
August 6th, 2012, 4:24 PM
Horses can't pay taxes on the medal.

Neither will the humans if the spawn of Sunny Bono who was elected to Congress based on name recognition has her way. Well, at least she's doing SOMETHING.

CenTexDave
August 6th, 2012, 5:02 PM
I'm fed up with NBC's coverage of this Olympics.
This afternoon we get to see men's basketball - Spain vs. Brazil. Who cares about that?
They have yet to show any USA women's soccer match, and this afternoon we beat Canada, 4 - 3, in stoppage time after two extra periods (overtime).

xzochye
August 6th, 2012, 5:25 PM

I'm not sure about varsity level football games, I think they play the anthem. That is the only game that does though. I have never heard it play at any city league event, junior high, freshman or junior varsity basketball, baseball or football game.

I think the deal with the hand over the heart is just not knowing about it. I have always done it because that was what I had seen done. However, I just thought it was a person's choice to do that. I didn't know that it was considered disrespectful if you didn't . I thought as long as your were standing and being respectful all is good. I had to Google it to learn the facts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Star-Spangled_Banner

CenTexDave
August 6th, 2012, 5:36 PM
At least they stand there and sing.
Anyone remember those two morons at the 1968 Mexico City Olympics that didn't wear shows, or the Munich Olympics with the black power salute?

siamcat
August 6th, 2012, 5:43 PM
I'm fed up with NBC's coverage of this Olympics.
This afternoon we get to see men's basketball - Spain vs. Brazil. Who cares about that?
They have yet to show any USA women's soccer match, and this afternoon we beat Canada, 4 - 3, in stoppage time after two extra periods (overtime).

We saw the match. It was on one of their affiliate stations. Can't remember which one, but normally during the day there are at least two channels showing events.

I always look in the KDH to see where what is showing :).

mac
August 6th, 2012, 6:09 PM
sonny's widow is already in congress.....now his daughter's gonna be in there too?....mac

Neither will the humans if the spawn of Sunny Bono who was elected to Congress based on name recognition has her way. Well, at least she's doing SOMETHING.

xzochye
August 6th, 2012, 6:14 PM
sonny's widow is already in congress.....now his daughter's gonna be in there too?....mac

I think you are a but confused. Cher is not in congress. She is starting a new tour next month. Sonny was the one in congress.

gnatsum
August 6th, 2012, 6:36 PM
At least they stand there and sing.
Anyone remember those two morons at the 1968 Mexico City Olympics that didn't wear shows, or the Munich Olympics with the black power salute?

The 'Black Power' salute was at the '68 Summer Olympics in Mexico City. Interesting bit of trivia from Sports Illustrated a few years ago was that one of the black American athletes had forgotten his gloves, so he was loaned one by the other, after a suggestion by the SILVER-medal winning Australian athlete (explains the fact that each of them raised a DIFFERENT fist in that iconic photo).
Explanation then and now was that they were protesting tgreatment of Blacks in the U.S. as second-class citizens (Gold medalist Tommie Smith says it was a "human rights salute", NOT a 'Black Power' salute).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1968_Olympics_Black_Power_salute

Rick
August 6th, 2012, 6:54 PM
I'm not sure about varsity level football games, I think they play the anthem. That is the only game that does though. I have never heard it play at any city league event, junior high, freshman or junior varsity basketball, baseball or football game.

I think the deal with the hand over the heart is just not knowing about it. I have always done it because that was what I had seen done. However, I just thought it was a person's choice to do that. I didn't know that it was considered disrespectful if you didn't . I thought as long as your were standing and being respectful all is good. I had to Google it to learn the facts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Star-Spangled_Banner

That's ok, I don't really feel that way, I just wanted to use, "self centered, egotistical, bottom feeding, mouth breathing, knuckle-dragging jerk!" in a sentence. :))

xzochye
August 6th, 2012, 7:09 PM
That's ok, I don't really feel that way, I just wanted to use, "self centered, egotistical, bottom feeding, mouth breathing, knuckle-dragging jerk!" in a sentence. :))

Haha!

Ludwig
August 6th, 2012, 9:41 PM

I'm thinking that anyone who WANTS to use "self centered, egotistical, bottom feeding, mouth breathing, knuckle-dragging jerk!" in a sentence, may be a self centered, egotistical, bottom feeding, mouth breathing, knuckle-dragging jerk! :)

CenTexDave
August 6th, 2012, 9:49 PM
I think you are a but confused. Cher is not in congress. She is starting a new tour next month. Sonny was the one in congress.
Not Cher. Sonny Bono divorced Cher decades ago. He remarried. While he was a congressman from California, he was killed in a skiing accident. His widow took his seat in the House, and has been reelected a few times.

xzochye
August 6th, 2012, 9:51 PM
Not Cher. Sonny Bono divorced Cher decades ago. He remarried. While he was a congressman from California, he was killed in a skiing accident. His widow took his seat in the House, and has been reelected a few times.

Yes, I know. Mac said that Cher was in congress and I was correcting him :)

sojourner truth
August 7th, 2012, 7:56 AM
Thank goodness...for a minute I thought that Chaz had somehow managed to get elected.

Gramps
August 7th, 2012, 7:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYLY3WRK3Zw

FieryPrincess
August 7th, 2012, 7:22 PM
I really like it when the athletes from a foreign country have to teach the American reporters how to act.

cnjbond
August 7th, 2012, 9:04 PM
I really like it when the athletes from a foreign country have to teach the American reporters how to act.
I don't think she was an American reporter...lol.

CenTexDave
August 9th, 2012, 1:57 PM
Olympics Women's Soccer Final: USA - 1, Japan - 0, still early first half
For those that have DirecTv you can watch it on channel 751. NBC regular Olympic program isn't covering it. I guess it's more important to show Bulgaria and Czech Republic in turtle racing.

CenTexDave
August 9th, 2012, 3:34 PM
I know you guys don't like soccer, but the USA Women just won the gold medal!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

sojourner truth
August 9th, 2012, 5:14 PM
I heard one of the American Basketball players got kicked in his "buddies" while making a free shot today by a disgruntled opponent. There was also a story about a US soccer player getting kicked in the head on purpose as well.

CenTexDave
August 9th, 2012, 9:58 PM
The soccer player was Abby Wambaugh, but it was a couple of games ago. She had a nice shiner for a while. The American girls have been complaining all throughout these Olympics that the other teams are out to hurt them. I guess success breeds contempt. lol
Don't know about the basketball team.

FieryPrincess
August 10th, 2012, 12:33 AM
I have heard that there are places in Europe where stores will specify that patrons are not to wear team jerseys. Apparently tensions/loyalties run so strongly that fights will break out.

CenTexDave
August 10th, 2012, 5:46 AM
Wars have been declared. Seriously. :))

sojourner truth
August 10th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Mostly the brits go bonkers over jerseys. Most pubs won't allow them because a fight alway breaks out...even before a few pints have gone down range. Dang...now I want a Guiness.

siamcat
August 11th, 2012, 9:44 PM
Wow, David Budaia (sp?) beat the chinese in diving winning gold.
For those who don't like or follow diving that's huge.

FieryPrincess
August 12th, 2012, 12:59 AM
USA! USA! USA!!

CenTexDave
August 12th, 2012, 11:47 AM
When this Olympics started two weeks ago I thought we had no chance to win 100 medals. We have exceeded that and the Chinese are well behind us, with the once powerful Russians far behind in third place.

sojourner truth
August 12th, 2012, 2:44 PM
Well, ever since the USSR ceased to exist we knew that was going to change. Now if the peoples republic (ha ha ) of China could have just one more revolution, all our problems would be over. Riiiight. What a hoot...America is trying to get where they are escaping from.

siamcat
August 12th, 2012, 7:51 PM
Well, ever since the USSR ceased to exist we knew that was going to change. Now if the peoples republic (ha ha ) of China could have just one more revolution, all our problems would be over. Riiiight. What a hoot...America is trying to get where they are escaping from.

I don't quite understand the end of your post. Are you talking about politics?

To me the victories by the U.S. in the olympics shows the American Spirit is alive and well.
Nobody is forced to compete or train in any sport by the government, yet the ones that do can compete with athletes from all over the world and do well.
Even some foreign athletes live in the US and go to college here, yet compete for their home country.

corgifan
August 12th, 2012, 8:31 PM
I believe this was the strongest women's showing ever, across the board. Thank you Title IX!!!

Ludwig
August 12th, 2012, 9:06 PM
It was the strongest showing for U.S. women, they won more medals than did their male counterparts. Great! Now, back to the kitchen.:)

CenTexDave
August 12th, 2012, 9:23 PM
And I sincerely hope the Rio Olympics are broadcast by some other network. Worst coverage of all time.
During Thursdays women's gold medal soccer game, good ol' NBC broadcasts such highly viewed events as rythmic gymnasts. Was only the USA vs Japan in the revenge game from the World Cup Finals.
Then on Saturday the women's gold medal volleyball match - USA vs Brazil. More neat rythmic gymnastics. Swell.

FieryPrincess
August 12th, 2012, 10:55 PM
I kept hearing how many world athletes trained in America. That says something nice about our country too.