PDA

View Full Version : Garage Door Opener

xzochye
July 20th, 2012, 9:11 AM
So I went to leave my house this morning and the stupid opener wouldn't work. I checked the sensors first to make sure they are okay. The opener makes no noises at all when I push the button on the pad and the remote. I know it is getting power because the light will come on but only when I push the light button.

Any suggestions?

Rick
July 20th, 2012, 9:56 AM
Try cleaning the sensors, they sometimes get dirty and can't see each other.

xzochye
July 20th, 2012, 10:00 AM
I will try that when I get home. If it was the sensors wouldn't the unit still make a clicking noise or something? Also, when I push the button for it to open the light usually comes on. Now the light only comes on when I push the light button.

Night Owl
July 20th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Sounds like the sensors could be out of alignment. It doesn't take much.

sojourner truth
July 20th, 2012, 10:39 AM
Batteries in the remote? The sensors have to be aligned...Mine went haywire once andI found out that a piece of tape that was stuck on the inside handle was breaking the sensor beam on the way down so it would almost close all the way, then shoot right back up when it sensed the tape. I hit one of the sensors, and knocked it out of alignment, and that will do it too. Or, the remote may have lost the code and you will have to reload it. That has happened to me once.

xzochye
July 20th, 2012, 10:45 AM
Sensors are working fine, in light steady green the other is a steady red. I will try cleaning them when I get home.

It's not the batteries in the remote, the button on the wall wouldn't work either.

I will see if I can find the manual when I get home and try to redo the codes.

It worked at 10:30 last night :-(

Night Owl
July 20th, 2012, 10:56 AM
Shouldn't the one sensor be yellow, not red?

xzochye
July 20th, 2012, 11:15 AM
On mine steady red means it's clear and if it's blinking that means it isn't aligned right or something is in its way.

xzochye
July 20th, 2012, 12:13 PM
Checked the fuse box....no go

Cleaned the sensors....no go

Made sure all the wires were in the right place.....no go

Unplugged it and plugged it back in....VoilĂ#!!

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

Rick
July 20th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Nice!!!

Texas Immigrant
July 20th, 2012, 1:05 PM
Now you can come to the pool party!!:)

xzochye
July 20th, 2012, 1:11 PM
Nice!!!

I wish every home repair that I have to do would be that easy.

Night Owl
July 20th, 2012, 2:24 PM
That was gonna be my next suggestion!!!:))

middleschoolteacher
July 20th, 2012, 6:22 PM
:) my favorite fix, pull the plug then plug it back in again....and if that doesn't work, hit/kick it...when the power went out the other night, the internet didn't come back on....I pushed every button and nothing, pulling the power plug, waiting a minute and then plugging it back in fixed it! I felt like a genius :)

circle_c
July 21st, 2012, 3:16 PM
Unplug it wait for 30-40 seconds then plug it back in.....sounds like TWC or Dish technician on the phone. :)

engteach64
July 21st, 2012, 4:21 PM
Our dvr was messed up and I called TWC She said, "Let's try unpluggin it..." I stopped her and said I knew the drill, tried it, didn't work, tried it again, didn't work. She said, "So you want a technician to come out?" Duh.