PDA

View Full Version : Japan musings

Ludwig
July 15th, 2012, 6:36 AM
Went to Hirohitu's tomb to pay my respects on behalf of all my old WW II veterans. I did not get caught.

I have found that big is not always better. There are no 18-wheelers in this country.

One can walk through a public park in a crowd and find no trash containers and yet the park is absolutely immaculately clean.

There is no welfare for men. Taking care of the indigent is a family responsibility. If they cannot help the government gives the person a job at minimum wage. The only people receiving direct assistance are women with children who have no man in their lives (case workers visit the home and verify male absence).

Only the well-to-do have cars. Local travel is by foot or bicycle. If one needs to travel farther, there is an excellent mass transit system of trains and buses. The trains can put the German system to shame.

One must be a citizen of Japan to buy property. Land is sold by the square meter and in most cases one does not pay for the house but rather for the land on which it sits.

There is no such thing as single family dwellings. Each home is occupied by the extended family.

Privacy is a premium. There are special motels with rates for 2, 6, and 8 hours where married couples go for their conjugal relations.

cityboy
July 15th, 2012, 1:17 PM
All in all, sounds pretty damn great ...

CenTexDave
July 15th, 2012, 1:26 PM
I was wondering though - you buy the land and does the house just come with it?

Ludwig
July 15th, 2012, 6:32 PM
I was wondering though - you buy the land and does the house just come with it?

That seems to be the case though a really good house puts a premium on the property. Kind of like we sell farms and ranches.

onetime
July 15th, 2012, 7:02 PM
My sister was born there and I would love to visit but I would pass on living there. The men reportedly work 60-80 hours per week year round, the suicide rate is the one of the highest in the world, it is difficult for women to find meaningful employment due to the glass ceiling. Their people continuously seek refuge here in States for the opportunity for individuality, the political system takes cronyism to a new level. The birthrates are down and so on so on so on. It is amazing that you get to visit the country though I pray I get to that level of comfortability one day to. I would love to visit Australia, Russia, England, France, Israel, and a few other places if given the opportunity. Cheers to you, you should put some pics on here.

Ludwig
July 16th, 2012, 3:54 AM
Workers work a six-hour day but to increase productivity and to provide more employment most work centers have two or more shifts.

Management is saddled with a 60-80 hr work week but much of their work would be called leisure in the US.

It is true that there is a bullet-proof glass ceiling in place for women. They have, however pretty much achieved equality in the workforce.

Gasoline sells for $6.75 per gallon.

Dogs are carried in carriages while the toddler walks and Dad carries.the baby. There seem to be no working dogs.

But for their costumes (all seem to want to be ugly Americans) one finds it difficult to identify male/female.

There seem to be no Flies or Mosquitos but Dragonflies are almost as big as Barn Swallows. 2738
Flowers at Hirohito's tomb.
Not much arable land.

onetime
July 16th, 2012, 6:29 AM
Workers work a six-hour day but to increase productivity and to provide more employment most work centers have two or more shifts.

Management is saddled with a 60-80 hr work week but much of their work would be called leisure in the US.

It is true that there is a bullet-proof glass ceiling in place for women. They have, however pretty much achieved equality in the workforce.

Gasoline sells for $6.75 per gallon.

Dogs are carried in carriages while the toddler walks and Dad carries.the baby. There seem to be no working dogs.

But for their costumes (all seem to want to be ugly Americans) one finds it difficult to identify male/female.

There seem to be no Flies or Mosquitos but Dragonflies are almost as big as Barn Swallows. 2738
Flowers at Hirohito's tomb.
Not much arable land.

Where are the cherry blossoms?

Ludwig
July 16th, 2012, 6:43 AM
Where are the cherry blossoms?

Way too late in the season. Their bloom is much shorter than is Texas' Bluebonnets.

Ludwig
July 16th, 2012, 6:44 AM
You can google for them if they turn you on.

Night Owl
July 16th, 2012, 6:58 AM
Where are the Catholic Churches?

Ludwig
July 16th, 2012, 7:11 AM
I attended the one at Yakota AFB. Next Sunday we will go to a Japanese church. Nagasaki is the most Catholic city in Japan.

sojourner truth
August 25th, 2012, 1:35 PM
Nice article in the KDH last week about those 2 ladies that braved the climb up Mt. Fuji. Wonder where the lazy old man was? :)