PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to Reggie Huggins for getting the Running Roos job

onetime
June 29th, 2012, 9:57 AM
Some people are born to coach, the guy went from being an assistant principal at KHS to the head boys basketball coach (One wonders how the "boss" took that, or if the "boss" had a helpful/forceful hand pushing him to that position). I don't think the talent is there to compete but we will see these are my predictions for boys basketball, the district sucks just enough for them to get in on that 4th seed but they can't have any lapses. On a side note, the "boss" will have the opportunity to hire a young new female principal with half a year of teaching experience. Good for you "boss" :thumbsup

1. Heights/Ellison
2. Ellison/Heights
3. Shoemaker/Killeen
4. Shoemaker/Killeen/Temple
5. Temple
6. Midway
7. Belton
8. Cove

http://www.kdhpressbox.com/index.php/schools/killeen-kangaroos/6567-ap-huggins-named-new-roos-hoops-coach

onetime
June 29th, 2012, 8:04 PM
I'm surprised he's going to remain at the same campus. I know, I know, there are exceptions...but moving up and down in authority often results in problems--it's hard for people to made adjustments to others taking new roles...and many will interpret this as a demotion. I'm also guessing there will be people who expect him to do AP roles even though he is not an AP any longer.

Only those on campus will "know" or sense whether this was his choice or not. We had a few moves at the end of the year where people said "I asked for this" and the rest of the staff said :callbs.

I think this is a mixture of Huggins being about 49% in favor of the basketball spot and the "boss" 2698 being about 100% in favor of him going to basketball. Otherwise their would be a fat no, I consider it a either your going to go do that or we are going to make as uncomfortable for you here as we have for all the teachers that have left. Take it or leave it. I would not consider it a demotion either because its a head basketball job in KILLEEN, its a job a lot of people would have coveted 5 and 10 years ago, its lost a lot of luster the last year or so. If someone were to say he took the head spot of KHS tennis, swim, soccer, golf, volleyball, baseball, or wrestling with all due respect, that would have been a demotion. As far as, confusion in roles, lol, the "boss" considers that guy long gone in regards to being an AP.

1962bc
June 29th, 2012, 11:55 PM
The school is a complete joke, all of the administrators are women, there's not one male applicant thats adequate to fill the job? It sucks that it has come to this, never seen a campus with an all male/female admin staff ever, although I am sure their are some that have. Before someone responds with the "oh it could happen" I just want to tell that person to "GET OUT" Most people that hire folks with common sense understand that they want to at least come close to having people on staff that the clientele you service can relate to. While there are rare occasions where someone applies with an impeccable resume, in this particular instance it will be a career admin person that knows little about managing a classroom let alone adults. No one Reggie, not Nick Saban, not Bill Cowher, is going to take a position where he receives a pay cut, more responsibilities with the assumed class room duties he will have to take on, and working about 30 to 40 hours more per week. I would also like to say on the decision made that KISD is driving off their assistant coaches in the district. They have had an assistant coach their for the past 6-8 years and unless he did not apply how does the district break to the far left and pluck Mr. Huggins for the position over him. What do you tell him? "While the position was not open to the public (which means no other head coach could apply), we still feel more comfortable giving the position to a guy that has not coached in 4 years and has less coaching experience at the HS level then the assistant coach. STOP IT

Some of what you state, is simply not true. Huggins is a long time assistant coach at HH. The assistant at KHS under Fossett had not been there for 6-8 years. Huggins loves hoops and in fact helped coach the Roo girls, three years ago while in his first year of being an AP. If you know him, you would understand that he loves coaching more than he loved administration. I really believe the principal let him make the choice. Once, the district made the decision to not open the job to outsider applicants, it was almost a given that the job would go to Huggins if he applied, or to HH assistant Roger Gonzales.
One would also think that Huggins had the recommendations of Fossitt and HH head man Bobbitt. Add to that fact, the district AD has known Huggins for many years and he is a former Roo player, and you can better understand the reasoning behind the move. Good luck to Huggins and congratulations.

onetime
June 30th, 2012, 1:37 AM
Some of what you state, is simply not true. Huggins is a long time assistant coach at HH. The assistant at KHS under Fossett had not been there for 6-8 years. Huggins loves hoops and in fact helped coach the Roo girls, three years ago while in his first year of being an AP. If you know him, you would understand that he loves coaching more than he loved administration. I really believe the principal let him make the choice. Once, the district made the decision to not open the job to outsider applicants, it was almost a given that the job would go to Huggins if he applied, or to HH assistant Roger Gonzales.
One would also think that Huggins had the recommendations of Fossitt and HH head man Bobbitt. Add to that fact, the district AD has known Huggins for many years and he is a former Roo player, and you can better understand the reasoning behind the move. Good luck to Huggins and congratulations.

I wish him good luck as well, but the assistant coach for Killeen has been there for 6-8 years in the basketball program. The other points you brought up about him wanting to do that is subjective and opinionated comments, you see it your way and I'll see it mine. I didn't say I had a problem with it more so what type of message does it send to your assistant coaches that applied for the job. Honestly, the set up at KHS is so unique that I would have to say Fosset probably didn't even get a call for a recommendation, if he did how would recommend mr huggins whom he's never worked with over his assistant coach that he's been with for the past 6-8 years. I do happen to know Reggie and i think he'll be a great addition to the team. Lastly you mentioned the assistant coach at HH who is a nice guy as well, but again how would the school hire him when they have some in place that has been around for the success of the team.

onetime
June 30th, 2012, 9:09 AM
Some of what you state, is simply not true.
Huggins is a long time assistant coach at HH. 2003-2007
The assistant at KHS under Fossett had not been there for 6-8 years. Been in the basketball program since 2005 maybe 2004
Add to that fact, the district AD has known Huggins for many years and he is a former Roo player, and you can better understand the reasoning behind the move. The AD had known both coaches the same amount of time so I think that cancels that out, and both are former roos so I guess that cancels each other out as well

1962bc
June 30th, 2012, 1:27 PM
Don't think your timeline is correct for either coach. Venus played football at Baylor in 2004, which means he would have graduated in 2005 at the earliest. Venus also spent at least one year at Fairway Middle School, maybe 2. Looks like 6 years at the most that Venus could have been at KHS.

Huggins has been AP at KHS for 4 years, and asssisted the girls' hoops program for at least one year. Prior to that, he was a coach at Heights from 2003-2008, which is 6 years. Looks to me like Huggins has been with KISD for 10 years, 4 in an administrative position. Rogers was also a football coach at Heights with Huggins and Bobbitt. So, Rogers has known Huggins longer.

In addition to that, it is believed that Sibberson and Rogers, did listen to Fossett and Bobbitt recommendations of Huggins. FYI, on one night in Dec of 2011, KHS was playing Temple in Temple. Fossett, for some reason, was the only coach KHS had that night. Huggins was there in a supervisory role. Fossett spotted Huggins in the stands and asked him to sit on the bench with him. Huggins did so.

Bottom line in all of this, Sibberson and Rogers wanted Huggins and thought his experience and administrative experience made him the best qualified for the job. Nothing sinister about it.

onetime
June 30th, 2012, 1:53 PM
Don't think your timeline is correct for either coach. Venus played football at Baylor in 2004, which means he would have graduated in 2005 at the earliest. Venus also spent at least one year at Fairway Middle School, maybe 2. Looks like 6 years at the most that Venus could have been at KHS.

Huggins has been AP at KHS for 4 years, and asssisted the girls' hoops program for at least one year. Prior to that, he was a coach at Heights from 2003-2008, which is 6 years. Looks to me like Huggins has been with KISD for 10 years, 4 in an administrative position. Rogers was also a football coach at Heights with Huggins and Bobbitt. So, Rogers has known Huggins longer.

In addition to that, it is believed that Sibberson and Rogers, did listen to Fossett and Bobbitt recommendations of Huggins. FYI, on one night in Dec of 2011, KHS was playing Temple in Temple. Fossett, for some reason, was the only coach KHS had that night. Huggins was there in a supervisory role. Fossett spotted Huggins in the stands and asked him to sit on the bench with him. Huggins did so.

Bottom line in all of this, Sibberson and Rogers wanted Huggins and thought his experience and administrative experience made him the best qualified for the job. Nothing sinister about it.

Wrong assistant coach that your talking about there bud. I was referring to Bob Hawkins

onetime
June 30th, 2012, 1:57 PM

I disagree, sorry Reggie started at KHS in 2007 per the paper, I don't remember Tom being at Heights, I know his brother coached their but you have got me on that information if it is true.

1962bc
June 30th, 2012, 3:01 PM
Paper is incorrect. Reggie did not start at KHS in 2007. He began his administrative career in 2009 at KHS. Tom Rogers was in fact a football coach under his brother, Ross.

If you are referrring to Hawkins, that explains it. He was never considered the top assistant for the Roos.

onetime
June 30th, 2012, 3:41 PM
Paper is incorrect. Reggie did not start at KHS in 2007. He began his administrative career in 2009 at KHS. Tom Rogers was in fact a football coach under his brother, Ross.

If you are referrring to Hawkins, that explains it. He was never considered the top assistant for the Roos.

Now how'd you assume it was venus when Hawkins had been there longer? Either way I think it's a good hire for the Roos. I just don't see things as being black and white.

1962bc
June 30th, 2012, 4:29 PM
Now how'd you assume it was venus when Hawkins had been there longer? Either way I think it's a good hire for the Roos. I just don't see things as being black and white.

Actually, it may be black and white. Why did I assume it was Venus? Because, the timeline you gave, appears to be close to Venus' resume. And, he was a Roo player as was Huggins. I don't know Hawkins and don't remember him being a Roo player under Bo Burgess.

Also, you or Hawkins, don't appear to know the intricacies of KISD politics. Ross Rogers was a Roo; Tom Rogers was a Roo; the assistant AD now for KISD and the former AD Allen were all coaches at Heights under Ross Rogers. Huggins and Bobbitt were Roos and coached at Heights with Rogers and Allen. It was a slam dunk that if Huggins wanted the job, it was his.

Don't know who was on the committee besides Sibberson in interviewing, but if Sam Jones, Sibberson, and Rogers were on the committee, it was easy to discern who the new coach would be.

onetime
June 30th, 2012, 4:35 PM
Actually, it may be black and white. Why did I assume it was Venus? Because, the timeline you gave, appears to be close to Venus' resume. And, he was a Roo player as was Huggins. I don't know Hawkins and don't remember him being a Roo player under Bo Burgess.

Also, you or Hawkins, don't appear to know the intricacies of KISD politics. Ross Rogers was a Roo; Tom Rogers was a Roo; the assistant AD now for KISD and the former AD Allen were all coaches at Heights under Ross Rogers. Huggins and Bobbitt were Roos and coached at Heights with Rogers and Allen. It was a slam dunk that if Huggins wanted the job, it was his.

Don't know who was on the committee besides Sibberson in interviewing, but if Sam Jones, Sibberson, and Rogers were on the committee, it was easy to discern who the new coach would be.

Coach Hawkins did graduate from Killeen and played ball at the school, If I'm not mistaken he coached with Tom and coach jones. He has worked for the "boss" for sometime now, I assumed that when a person puts in his time and is a part of a successful run he gets the first nod once the head coach leaves. Isn't that the way it works in college? Don't get me wrong, I like the hire and I think he'll be a good fit, but it's just so out of left field that there has to be smoke. We will agree to disagree.

Bob_Popular
June 30th, 2012, 11:08 PM

First off I don't see how it was a "given" that Huggins would get the job. He applied for both the Shoemaker and Killeen job while he was an assistant at Heights and got neither. I guess being an AP would now qualify you for a head job over the guy who was in the program for a pretty successful run right?

Bob_Popular
June 30th, 2012, 11:11 PM

Went to several Runnin Roo games and im pretty sure that Bob Hawkins was the varsity assistant for at least 3-4 years. That would make him the "top" assistant last time I checked.

Bob_Popular
June 30th, 2012, 11:15 PM
Coach Hawkins did graduate from Killeen and played ball at the school, If I'm not mistaken he coached with Tom and coach jones. He has worked for the "boss" for sometime now, I assumed that when a person puts in his time and is a part of a successful run he gets the first nod once the head coach leaves. Isn't that the way it works in college? Don't get me wrong, I like the hire and I think he'll be a good fit, but it's just so out of left field that there has to be smoke. We will agree to disagree.

You would THINK that putting in time at one particular place and having success would mean good things for someone........unfortunately not in KISD. I totally agree with onetime, this hire is so far out of left field questions have to be asked.

siamcat
June 30th, 2012, 11:44 PM
You would THINK that putting in time at one particular place and having success would mean good things for someone........unfortunately not in KISD. I totally agree with onetime, this hire is so far out of left field questions have to be asked.

Why do questions have to be asked?

I understand that you have a problem with KHS, but I'm happy for Mr. Huggins and KHS.
While they lose a great AP they gain a great coach.

Bob_Popular
July 1st, 2012, 11:19 AM
Why do questions have to be asked?

I understand that you have a problem with KHS, but I'm happy for Mr. Huggins and KHS.
While they lose a great AP they gain a great coach.

And if you read the sports section of today's kdh apparently they feel questions should be asked as well.

onetime
July 1st, 2012, 11:26 AM
And if you read the sports section of today's kdh apparently they feel questions should be asked as well.

Where is that at?

Bob_Popular
July 1st, 2012, 12:24 PM
Where is that at?

The editorial by nick talbot

onetime
July 1st, 2012, 1:21 PM
The editorial by nick talbot

Different perspective, but I wonder if the assistant coaches would have been more open to a new guy coming in taking the spot.

http://www.kdhnews.com/news/story.aspx?c=45

cuatro
July 9th, 2012, 9:25 AM
Just to clarify it is not "Bob" Hawkins, its Robert. No one calls him Bob. Some call him Rob. He was the top assistant under Fossett.