PDA

View Full Version : What not to feed your dog.

circle_c
June 12th, 2012, 5:56 PM
There may have been similar posts related to this, couple of things listed I was not aware of. Hopefully this may be helpful to others. Raising a dog now days has become a chore and expensive, but you gotta luv 'em
http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/ss/slideshow-foods-your-dog-should-never-eat

siamcat
June 12th, 2012, 7:19 PM
Well, I don't know about other dogs, but our dog has no problems eating anything.
He chews up wood sticks for fun.

Of course we keep dangerous foods from him, but some on that list made me laugh.

engteach64
June 12th, 2012, 7:36 PM
Don't feed your dog onions, or let them get to them. They will kill their blood cells. Onions are VERY dangerous to dogs.

circle_c
June 12th, 2012, 8:03 PM
My sons golden retriever (mostly) carries around thre to four golf balls in her mouuth all the time. She lays them at peoples feet to throw so she can retrieve them. She chews up and eats three to four a week. She used to do rocks. Need to put her to work on a driving range that would tire her butt out.

mac
June 13th, 2012, 11:58 AM
that's a disease, circle. my jack russel has it also. it's even treatable but to complicated for me. i've never tried to treat it because i don't have the patience, i just choose to put up with it. it has a name but i can't 'member what it is right now.....i s'pect the vet can tell you. it doesn't necessarily have to be golf balls and stones that they obsess on, it can be darn neert anything.....the disease may be called some kind of "pica"......mac

My sons golden retriever (mostly) carries around thre to four golf balls in her mouuth all the time. She lays them at peoples feet to throw so she can retrieve them. She chews up and eats three to four a week. She used to do rocks. Need to put her to work on a driving range that would tire her butt out.

Ludwig
June 13th, 2012, 3:50 PM
Dog's ought not share human food, for their health and well-being. But, of course, they will. Don't blame them if they sicken and die.

SamBrown
June 13th, 2012, 6:14 PM
I am surprised to see grapes on the list. Could it be that it is grapes WITH seeds? I have given my dogs seedless grapes in small amounts for years (5 or 6) and they have never shown any signs of illness. They also love apples and pears. Never tried bananas. When I offer carrots, I get the ugly looks from all three. The only time they eat human food, is when I forget to put something up and they snatch it off the counter. Yes, at times the two younger ones are misbehaved and steal. They did today .... left hotdog buns out to thaw. When lunch was ready, I looked for the buns and they were gone. The empty bag was in the backyard. I am thankful that neither has a taste for plastic bags.

circle_c
June 13th, 2012, 7:13 PM
I don't believe anyone has found the cause or reason why yet, other than raisins and grapes are fatal to dogs. :(

Ludwig
June 13th, 2012, 7:36 PM
Thank goodness that neither of my dogs can reach past my knee while standing on their hind feet. The way my spouse leaves stuff on the counter-tops, they'd both be long dead, or fatter then me.

siamcat
June 13th, 2012, 8:21 PM
Thank goodness that neither of my dogs can reach past my knee while standing on their hind feet. The way my spouse leaves stuff on the counter-tops, they'd both be long dead, or fatter then me.

My dog can reach the countertop, but he knows better. Even his dogfood sitting on the counter while I get dinner finished will still be there even if you leave.
Anything that drops on the floor is another story:).

Sloane Peterson
June 13th, 2012, 9:34 PM
That's an interesting list, I am glad I can keep giving my dog carrots every now and again, she loves them.

Ludwig
June 13th, 2012, 10:22 PM
I used to have a cow dog at the ranch who would do anything for an ear of sweet corn. He'd devour it cob and all.

SamBrown
June 14th, 2012, 12:32 AM
Tried oranges and pink grapefruit this evening .... our Great Dane mix loved both; the Black Lab gave it a lick and left; the Chocolate Lab did not even bother to try it. Just like kids. Spoiled:))

FieryPrincess
June 14th, 2012, 9:09 AM
Our dogs have been trained to leave the countertops and the table food alone.

Now if you have food on a tray and you walk away they take it as a gift from heaven. Haven't quite broken them of that yet, but I have broken the children from leaving food on a tray at the dogs' level.

sojourner truth
June 14th, 2012, 10:09 AM
About the worst no no for my dog is giving her leftover bean burritos...It has an unfortunate effect on her.:) One that requires her staying "out of doors" for a while.