PDA

View Full Version : Vomiting Cat

corgifan
May 31st, 2012, 9:56 PM
I have a young female cat, about 18 months old. Common domestic shorthair. She's on Iams kibble, and when that is her only food she does fine. She's all muscle, healthy and happy. We have another much older cat, toothless, that is on canned food (more about him in my next post.)

Occasionally the old boy leaves the tiniest bit of food left in his bowl, and I mean nothing more than a few specks. If the youngster manages to get to the bowl before we pick it up she licks it clean, and without fail she ends up vomiting her guts out each and every time. We actually started the queen on canned food, but she threw all of it up every time. None of her vomits have involved a hairball. Even so, we've tried hairball specific food (canned and kibble) to no effect.

We are very experienced cat people, and had the same problem with a recently departed male, a long haired Turkish Angora, but he clearly had hairballs. This one has us quite puzzled.

Texas Immigrant
May 31st, 2012, 10:00 PM
Have you compared the ingredients? Maybe something they're allergic to?

corgifan
June 1st, 2012, 12:06 AM
We haven't looked for specific ingredients. These days, unless you're feeding an animal home prepared meat, the list of ingredients on the package is so long it has to be printed in 5 point font. We have, however, tried several different brands and styles, high end and higher end, conventional and holistic. Same result. Kibble stays down, canned comes straight up, and I mean immediately after finishing the bowl.

xzochye
June 1st, 2012, 9:17 AM
I have a young female cat, about 18 months old. Common domestic shorthair. She's on Iams kibble, and when that is her only food she does fine. She's all muscle, healthy and happy. We have another much older cat, toothless, that is on canned food (more about him in my next post.)

Occasionally the old boy leaves the tiniest bit of food left in his bowl, and I mean nothing more than a few specks. If the youngster manages to get to the bowl before we pick it up she licks it clean, and without fail she ends up vomiting her guts out each and every time. We actually started the queen on canned food, but she threw all of it up every time. None of her vomits have involved a hairball. Even so, we've tried hairball specific food (canned and kibble) to no effect.

We are very experienced cat people, and had the same problem with a recently departed male, a long haired Turkish Angora, but he clearly had hairballs. This one has us quite puzzled.

One of my cats throws up canned cat food every time he eats it. That's the only thing he ever throws up.

CenTexDave
June 1st, 2012, 9:59 AM
So does mine. My fat cat has become very finicky - will only eat Meow Mix or some other dry food. lol

Texas Immigrant
June 1st, 2012, 9:59 AM
Maybe it's a texture thing.

Night Owl
June 1st, 2012, 12:57 PM
I have no opinion on this subject at this time.:)

corgifan
June 1st, 2012, 1:46 PM
That's a surprise. I thought that owls were experts on the subject of regurgitation.

Ludwig
June 1st, 2012, 1:52 PM
Perhaps Corgifan has hit on it. The cat is throwing up to feed her/his kittens (invisible). That is why owls regurgitate.

I, on the other hand, vomit only when I eat too many peanuts with my beer. :)):))

Night Owl
June 1st, 2012, 2:08 PM
That's a surprise. I thought that owls were experts on the subject of regurgitation.

Why yes they are, especially when they are trying to get rid of the fur balls.

Grammar Rules
June 2nd, 2012, 12:02 PM
One of my cats throws up canned cat food every time he eats it. That's the only thing he ever throws up.

Mine are equal-opportunity barfers, but especially when I've given in to their pleas and let them out for a little supervised grass-grazing.

Actually, mine barf less often now that I've changed their dry staple to "Evolve" brand. They get a small serving of canned as a daily treat. I've never heard of one unable to tolerate canned, though.

corgifan
June 2nd, 2012, 1:30 PM
I've never heard of one unable to tolerate canned, though.
WELL YA' HAVE NOW!!!!!