PDA

View Full Version : Good roofing contractor?

Imagine
May 26th, 2012, 2:55 PM
This is definitely not a DIY question, but I'm not sure where else to post this. Husband and I own a somewhat oldish house, built in the early 60's, when teeny-tiny windows were the "make sense" feature. The house is dark, and I want to let light in. Because of the neighborhood, which has changed in the 30 years we've been living here, I don't want to replace existing windows with larger windows. I love the sky-lights in my Mom's house, lots of light and lots of privacy and want to get some installed.

I have no idea how to go about finding a truly qualified / reliable / won't gouge roofer who will install two sky-lights when I replace the ten-year old roof. I would like to get this done this summer. Anyone know of anyone that I could contact for a "get started" estimate?

Ludwig
May 26th, 2012, 3:18 PM
We had ours done, including a ridge vent (no easy task) with excellent results by Lange Roofing, 1538 Stan Schlueter Loop, (254) 554-7665.

Rick
May 26th, 2012, 4:40 PM
I'm sure they can install the skylights when they do the roof. Call them, they know what they are doing.

mac
May 27th, 2012, 10:59 AM
are you really talkin' 'bout sky lights......or are you talkin' 'bout these deals (sun tunnels)that bring light from the roof, through the attic, through the ceiling into the living area?....mac

JoAnn Purser
May 27th, 2012, 12:44 PM
Skylights give a roof opportunity to leak in time.

You may want to rethink the newer, larger windows first.

With new windows you can have better insulation and easier operating models for opening and cleaning.

mac
May 27th, 2012, 3:07 PM
that's true, imagine. what jo ann is saying there is absolutely fact. those sky lights or light tunnels are gona require flashing and tons of shingle nails....you'll have to remove some shingles and loosen others up. puttin' on sky lights or light tunnels is best left for doin' when you're shinglin' the roof. be patient, we're due for a hail storm any day now......mac

Skylights give a roof opportunity to leak in time.

You may want to rethink the newer, larger windows first.

With new windows you can have better insulation and easier operating models for opening and cleaning.

mac
May 27th, 2012, 3:11 PM
hell, i didn't even mention those big ole boys walkin' and scootin' all over the place up there plus the shingles are prob'ly pretty dried out and just waitin' to crack anyway. BEWARE!......mac

cnjbond
May 27th, 2012, 6:13 PM
Good thing the poster stated they were considering doing this at the time they replace the roof. ;)

mac
May 27th, 2012, 7:07 PM
yeow....i saw that but it also said the roof was only 10 years old? who replaces a 10 year old roof?.....mac

Good thing the poster stated they were considering doing this at the time they replace the roof. ;)

Ludwig
May 27th, 2012, 9:25 PM
Trust me mac, if you bought cheap ten years ago you will need to replace that roof.

Imagine
May 28th, 2012, 9:18 AM
hell, i didn't even mention those big ole boys walkin' and scootin' all over the place up there plus the shingles are prob'ly pretty dried out and just waitin' to crack anyway. BEWARE!......mac

Have been waiting for the shingles to dry up for about four years now, so I can put in the skylights (or I guess what you are calling tunnels), but thanks for the good thought.

Imagine
May 28th, 2012, 9:19 AM
Trust me mac, if you bought cheap ten years ago you will need to replace that roof.

Didn't buy cheap, bought mid-range...maybe I got ripped off. That's why I want to get advice on a trustable roofer. I'm hoping insurance adjuster will say there's enough wear and tear to replace now. Do not want to try to replace roof when I'm on my retirement check.

joyohjoy
May 28th, 2012, 9:27 AM
Lange is the best in this area. They did ours and was reasonable...we are retired also.

CenTexDave
May 28th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Wait until your great insurance company depreciates the roof, then less the deductible.
Plan on spending at least half of the replacement cost out of your own pocket.

engteach64
May 28th, 2012, 3:34 PM
I could never have sky lights. It would freak me out. Remember the episode of Twiligh Zone with William Shatner, where he was on the airplane and a creature kept looking in his window as it tore the wing apart? That would be what I thought about every time I looked up and saw sky. FREAK ME OUT!!

Imagine
May 28th, 2012, 4:23 PM
Yeah, but what freaks me out more are the people who prowl this neighborhood trying to peep into windows to see if there's something good to steal inside. Sadly, home owner neighborhood has become largely rent property over the past decade as old timers move on. Now I'm the old timer, and I've had some really scary neighbors. Wanted to look into relocating last year when my Mom and Dad's old house was put on the market. It just didn't make any sense to start out with a new 30 year mortgage when we just paid off this house. My husband agreed to let me do the roof and add sky lights as second prize. Besides as Roy Rogers or Gene Autry used to sing, "Give me sky, lots of sky, lots of wide open sky..." or something like that.

CenTexDave
May 28th, 2012, 5:03 PM
Add some claymore mines as they put in the skylights.