PDA

View Full Version : Barking Dog

engteach64
May 18th, 2012, 8:53 PM
Anyone have any ideas on how to get a dog to stop barking? My daughter's dog just will not stop barking. She barks at my other dogs, or with herself. She's driving us nuts. We have to get her to be more calm before my daughter's baby comes or we will never sleep. Any ideas.

mac
May 18th, 2012, 8:59 PM
maybe she's only barking because you're daughter's not there and will quit......but back to your question, yeow, at the first yip put the dog outside.......have a hose handy....dog bargs, dog gets sprayed.....hard....and scolded.....dog barks again, dog gets sprayed again, and again, and again....dog finally quits but is now wet......no sweat, put her in the garage...she'll bark again so put her outside again etc etc etc. it's a contest tween you and he beast.......it's a beast and you're a human.....you will win......mac

Anyone have any ideas on how to get a dog to stop barking? My daughter's dog just will not stop barking. She barks at my other dogs, or with herself. She's driving us nuts. We have to get her to be more calm before my daughter's baby comes or we will never sleep. Any ideas.

xzochye
May 18th, 2012, 9:02 PM
I had the inside of an empty gift wrapping roll and I would hit the table or couch with it real hard when my dogs would start barking and say quiet real loud. Took about a week of doing this constantly but it worked. I never hit them with it just something that would make a loud noise to startle them.

No up and down for you and no wet doggie smell!

sojourner truth
May 18th, 2012, 9:44 PM
When ours barks, we put her on her leash which is tied to the dog house. That always stops it. She didn't bark once until she was a year old. We thought she would never bark. But the 14 pomeranians next door have been giving her lessons, and now she barks at everything. The leash stops it dead.

mac
May 19th, 2012, 10:43 AM
interesting SJ. like you, my jack russel never barked 'till the akita breeders moved in next door.....mac

Texas Immigrant
May 19th, 2012, 1:21 PM
14 Poms????? Wow!!

sojourner truth
May 19th, 2012, 1:43 PM
Yeppers, and she won't get the male fixed. Started out with just one, and then her son got her a female. Then, every time she was in heat a new batch of puppies would pop out. Thats happened about 6 times, and she's managed to sell some of them, but keeps the ones she can't sell. I asked her why she kept letting them have pups and she said "well, I try to keep them apart, but he always manages to sneak around me somehow". What a dumbass. The worst part is that she keeps them outside all the time, and you know how Poms love to bark. She's had the police called on her many times, but it does no good. I got so tired of losing sleep because of the barking I have even entertained ideas of "mayhem", but never could bring myself to do it. When you call the cops on her, she retaliates with loud music and nasty remarks whenever she sees you. The smell from her yard is bad enough, because her and her husband (who is never there) won't take care of their house. It looks like Sanford and son. And it's a $250,000 home. Not worth that now, that's fer sure. Yep, neighbors from hell. Still, the thought of tossing a handful of chocolate bars over the fence still sounds better every day.

Texas Immigrant
May 19th, 2012, 1:46 PM
Aww, poor puppies. My favorite dog that I've had as an adult was our Pom. We had him before we had kids. I LOVED that dog. She needs to get them fixed. I take our dogs to Animal Birth Control Center in Waco. It's very inexpensive and they do a great job. I hope she wises up soon. I'd hate to see those puppies hurt because she's not a responsible owner.

engteach64
May 19th, 2012, 4:58 PM
The spray in the face with the water bottle works, but then she thinks it is fun. Drives me nuts. My daughter is here too, so it isn't that she misses her. She only barks at my older beagle, and I wonder if she isn't trying to become the dominant dog. I'm not sure.

Thanks everyone for the advice. We will have to see if any ideas work. Thanks again.

Grammar Rules
May 19th, 2012, 8:09 PM
We had a black Lab mix years ago who kept us and the neighbors awake. I got one of those expensive shock colars that was supposed to deliver a selected jolt when she barked. I could turn it all the way up and she would bark until her legs were weak and trembling, but she would not shut up. Her littermate was quiet, sweet and obedient. Sadly, the barker got more cranky with age, getting very hard to control. The last straw was when I tried to get her back into the yard, and she growled at me. Buh bye.

engteach64
May 21st, 2012, 8:07 PM
Grammar Rules~I hope you mean you found her a home outside in the country, but I fear you didn't. :(

Grammar Rules
May 22nd, 2012, 7:20 AM
I couldn't take the chance on trying to give an aggressive and temperamental dog to a family. There was more to the story. She was a 75-lb escape artist and would run through our neighborhood, chasing children. She would snarl and run her smaller littermate off HER food, and even after the larger dog had eaten, she would attack the smaller one. No, I had her euthanized. The smaller dog lived in happy peace as an only dog, to the ripe old age of 13.

Night Owl
May 22nd, 2012, 8:22 AM
Sometimes the only thing you can do is put a puppy down. I know it was tough but it had to be done before someone, even a child, got hurt.

engteach64
May 24th, 2012, 2:43 PM
Yikes! Sadly, I understand that there was no choice.

engteach64
May 28th, 2012, 7:37 PM
Well, we bought a muzzle. The first time we tried to put it on her she went crazy. The next time my daughter walked right up and put it on. The dog looked so hurt. It was sad. We told her "no speak," and she just sat totally dejected. After about a minute we took it off, and told her "good girl." The next time she barked we did the same thing. She is now so quiet. We haven't had horrible barking issues at all in the last few days. She doesn't even go up to our other dog and bark at her. We may be on an upward trend here.

CenTexDave
May 29th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Excellent. You obviously know how to train animals.
Care to give Night Owl a try? :)

engteach64
May 29th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Sorry, no experience with owls. I'm pretty sure if they get mean enough they can eat an average sized person. (No snarky comments please):-s