PDA

View Full Version : Junior Seau

Rick
May 2nd, 2012, 2:35 PM
Just saw on ESPN that he committed suicide. How sad.

Ludwig
May 2nd, 2012, 2:42 PM
Suicide... the highest form of narcissism and cowardice. RIP... whoever you are.

Night Owl
May 2nd, 2012, 3:32 PM
43 yers old, 10 time all-pro and he ends life by his own hands. Very sad. RIP

blueeagle
May 2nd, 2012, 3:35 PM
Suicide... the highest form of narcissism and cowardice. RIP... whoever you are.

It IS very sad when someone cannot see any other way to work out a life difficulty. Have a little compassion.

harleygirl
May 2nd, 2012, 3:47 PM
So sad he was a great football player. :crying

Ludwig
May 2nd, 2012, 3:51 PM
... Have a little compassion.

Not from me.
First, I define compassion as sympathetic pity and concern for the sufferings or misfortunes of others and if I said I had that for a person I don't know and had not even heard of before I heard of his suicide, I'd be the worst of hypocrites. The best I could do, in all honesty, was to say, RIP.
Second, I said nothing about what's-his-face... I said that suicide is the highest form of narcissism and cowardice.
Third, the jury is still out whether or not this was a suicide.

sojourner truth
May 2nd, 2012, 8:08 PM
It is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. He was a great player, and will be missed. His poor mother is distraught, and Iwill pray for her.

xzochye
May 2nd, 2012, 8:20 PM
It is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. He was a great player, and will be missed. His poor mother is distraught, and Iwill pray for her.

I saw her on the news. Broke my heart to watch her. One can't even begin to imagine the pain she is going through.

Did you hear on the news where they mention the possible connection with head injuries/concussions among these NFL players and the numbers of suicides lately?

corgifan
May 2nd, 2012, 9:30 PM
His young daughter and two young sons will have to pick up the pieces and live with this for the rest of their lives.

CenTexDave
May 2nd, 2012, 10:07 PM
His good friend, think his name was David Duerson, who played for the Bears did the same this past Feb.

Rick
May 2nd, 2012, 10:43 PM
They are thrust into the limelight (yes, by choice) then, like turning off a light switch, they are just "regular guys" the entourages are gone, the praise is gone and all that's left is the physical pain from the years of abuse. Is knowing that you have to live the rest of your life with ever worsening pain temporary?

Yes, suicide is unfair to the ones left behind and can seem like the act of selfishness and that of a coward. It's still sad.

jimbob
May 3rd, 2012, 8:04 AM
They are thrust into the limelight (yes, by choice) then, like turning off a light switch, they are just "regular guys" the entourages are gone, the praise is gone and all that's left is the physical pain from the years of abuse. Is knowing that you have to live the rest of your life with ever worsening pain temporary?

Yes, suicide is unfair to the ones left behind and can seem like the act of selfishness and that of a coward. It's still sad.You seem to have all the answers.

sojourner truth
May 3rd, 2012, 8:14 AM
I have "ever worsening pain" called "degenerative bone deterioration of the lower spine", and it will never get any better, only worse. I would never consider suicide...while there is life there is hope. They may devise a cure tomorrow, for all I know. Still, I was unaware of the fact that he had an uncurable, painful health condition. I suspect that his reasons for taking his life were from pain not related to physical pain. If he could see the pain in his poor mothers face today, I wonder if he would change his mind. True strength of character is not giving up the fight even when you know you can't win. If nothing else I would like to think of junior, it would be that he was a fighter despite the odds.

Rick
May 3rd, 2012, 11:14 AM
You seem to have all the answers.

I know, it's a hell of a cross to bear.

Or is it bare? :bluerofl

Ang
May 3rd, 2012, 12:07 PM
I always wonder how it could be so bad that you lose your survival instincts

cityboy
May 3rd, 2012, 12:10 PM
My grandfather committed suicide about 25 or so years ago, and it had nothing to do with narcissism and cowardice. He was an old man whose health was failing, and his daughter (my aunt) was about to put him into a nursing home, as he could no longer adequately care for himself. His own mother had lived for a long time in a nursing home, and he did not want that for himself. So he ended his life. I actually think it was a lot more brave than cowardly ...

harleygirl
May 3rd, 2012, 12:24 PM
http://deadspin.com/5907297/the-night-junior-seau-picked-up-a-marine-captains-tab-and-serenaded-bar-patrons-with-a-ukulele

I seen this on facebook

sojourner truth
May 3rd, 2012, 12:44 PM
My grandfather committed suicide about 25 or so years ago, and it had nothing to do with narcissism and cowardice. He was an old man whose health was failing, and his daughter (my aunt) was about to put him into a nursing home, as he could no longer adequately care for himself. His own mother had lived for a long time in a nursing home, and he did not want that for himself. So he ended his life. I actually think it was a lot more brave than cowardly ...

No, it wasn't brave. It wasn't cowardly either...it was selfish. And I don't mean to speak poorly of your grandfather..I'd say the same thing about my own grandfather if he'd done that. I've already told my wife and daughter that when I am no longer able to care for myself, they are to put me in a nursing home. I know too many people who are in one, and doing just fine.

cityboy
May 3rd, 2012, 12:55 PM
I'm not so sure it was selfish. I understand why it might be considered selfish, but not sure I agree. In his mind, he had become a burden to his family, and so he relieved them of that burden. That is unselfish, isn't it?

Night Owl
May 3rd, 2012, 12:57 PM
Depends on the lens you look at the world through.

cityboy
May 3rd, 2012, 12:58 PM
How so?

xzochye
May 3rd, 2012, 2:05 PM

Reasons like this is why I believe in euthanasia. If I knew that the last year(s) of my life was going to be spent being laying in a bed hoping someone will come wipe my butt (or worse yet wondering who that person is that was wiping it!) while I am laying there in extreme pain I would want to be able to choose euthanasia. It wouldn't put the family in the same position as a suicide would (I don not believe that this is the same as suicide.) It would be discussed with family and all while I was still able to make those decisions for myself.

Night Owl
May 3rd, 2012, 2:21 PM
You look at life through a different lens than I or anyone else does. Your thoughts and opinions are different that mine on many things. We might and probably do agree on a lot of things but there are differences. The life you have lived gives you a different perspective than what my life has given me.

So everyone looks at the world and life through different lens.

Ludwig
May 3rd, 2012, 2:52 PM
Reasons like this is why I believe in euthanasia. If I knew that the last year(s) of my life was going to be spent being laying in a bed hoping someone will come wipe my butt (or worse yet wondering who that person is that was wiping it!) while I am laying there in extreme pain I would want to be able to choose euthanasia. It wouldn't put the family in the same position as a suicide would (I don not believe that this is the same as suicide.) It would be discussed with family and all while I was still able to make those decisions for myself.

If the decision to end the life is made by the victim and the victim performs an act leading to his/her death, then it is suicide, which has the moral equivalent of murder. If the decision is made my someone other than the victim then you can give it a fancy label of euthanasia but God says that it's murder.

Hey, if it's good enough for my cat (that's going down on Monday) it's good enough for you, right?

jimbob
May 3rd, 2012, 3:08 PM
I know, it's a hell of a cross to bear.

Or is it bare? :blueroflArrogance will cause a hard fall. It is easier to judge and criticize than to have compassion, isn't it?

mac
May 3rd, 2012, 3:13 PM
actually, jim bob, i'm not ludwig but it's a hell of a lot easier to have compassion than to judge and criticize. it takes real men to understand that and a lot of guts to tell it like it is sometimes......mac

Arrogance will cause a hard fall. It is easier to judge and criticize than to have compassion, isn't it?

xzochye
May 3rd, 2012, 3:45 PM
If the decision to end the life is made by the victim and the victim performs an act leading to his/her death, then it is suicide, which has the moral equivalent of murder. If the decision is made my someone other than the victim then you can give it a fancy label of euthanasia but God says that it's murder.

Hey, if it's good enough for my cat (that's going down on Monday) it's good enough for you, right?

Don't know how you feel about your pets but mine are a part of my family and I do everything possible to maintain their health. So yes it's good enough for me.

You can believe what you want to believe and I will do the same.

sojourner truth
May 3rd, 2012, 4:13 PM
I'm not so sure it was selfish. I understand why it might be considered selfish, but not sure I agree. In his mind, he had become a burden to his family, and so he relieved them of that burden. That is unselfish, isn't it?

No. If he's in a nursing home the only burden he poses is coming to visit him, unless he needed finacial support. My dad had incurable cancer, and fought tooth and nail to stay in his home. When it was time for him to go to the nursing home, he refused and moved in with my sister...She was miserable because he was a demanding, selfish old man who didn't care what anyone had to go through as long as he got what he wanted. Not saying your grandfather was the same way, but I have had a lot of experience dealing with people who faced that decision. Almost to a person, they did everything possible to stay out of the home. Kicking, screaming, threatening, trying to make their kids feel like they didn't love them..the whole gamut of guilt trip things. Once they got there, they were pretty darn surprised at how much they enjoyed it, and adapted quickly. Because of witnessing that so many times, I have decided that I won't burden my family with my daily care when I get to that point. Probably won't remember who they are anyhow. I do know how taking my own life would affect them though. Now that, I won't put them through. In other words, I have decided to be "unselfish" by taking that decision from them. Plus, I believe suicide is a sin, so that's out of the question. Your decision is yours to make however. Whatever trips your trigger.

cityboy
May 3rd, 2012, 5:16 PM
What is sin, exactly ...

Ludwig
May 3rd, 2012, 5:55 PM
... You can believe what you want to believe and I will do the same.

Thank you.

mac
May 3rd, 2012, 6:09 PM
the breaking or transgression of God's law...mac

What is sin, exactly ...

sojourner truth
May 3rd, 2012, 7:31 PM
What is sin, exactly ...
Figure it out for yourself. Pretty simple really.

Rick
May 3rd, 2012, 9:20 PM
Arrogance will cause a hard fall. It is easier to judge and criticize than to have compassion, isn't it?
WTF? You seem to have some kind of anti-Rick agenda going on.

I beg you to show where I lacked compassion.

You on the other hand, have quoted me twice and have yet to add to the discussion.

Grammar Rules
May 3rd, 2012, 9:51 PM
Jimbob is not my secret identity, just in case anyone is wondering. :)

Ludwig
May 3rd, 2012, 11:17 PM
Ok, Ok! I have decided to have compassion for this total stranger. In his honor(?) and loving memory I will wear a bear pin on my lapel for seven days. I hope that makes up for all my crassness and makes those poor souls who were so saddened by my previous comments feel much better.

jimbob
May 4th, 2012, 2:17 PM
WTF? You seem to have some kind of anti-Rick agenda going on.

I beg you to show where I lacked compassion.

You on the other hand, have quoted me twice and have yet to add to the discussion.

No, I don't have an anti-rick thing going on. No reason to beg me. If I misunderstood you, then that is my short sightedness. I might have not understood your message. I never did quote you, though.

Rick
May 4th, 2012, 8:18 PM
I never did quote you, though.

Post #12 (http://www.centextalk.com/vb/showthread.php?15294-Junior-Seau&p=209888#post209888)
Post #25 (http://www.centextalk.com/vb/showthread.php?15294-Junior-Seau&p=209972#post209972)

jimbob
May 7th, 2012, 7:46 AM
Qouting someone is repeating what they said. I'm sure you knew that. Here is a definition of quote: Repeat or copy out (a group of words from a text or speech), typically with an indication that one is not the original author or speaker. #12 and #25, there is nothing repeated.

Rick
May 7th, 2012, 10:21 AM
Ok, um. :poke%%-

cnjbond
May 7th, 2012, 10:49 AM
Qouting someone is repeating what they said. I'm sure you knew that. Here is a definition of quote: Repeat or copy out (a group of words from a text or speech), typically with an indication that one is not the original author or speaker. #12 and #25, there is nothing repeated.

You're brilliant!

Ludwig
May 7th, 2012, 12:24 PM

Ignorant or stupid? I'm really having a tough time deciding... I think that stupid fits a little better... but then there is no hope. Ah well... back to my reading.

Night Owl
May 9th, 2012, 10:14 AM
You're brilliant!
or not.:))