PDA

View Full Version : Other States are Hiring

Godzilla
April 28th, 2012, 6:35 PM
8-; Alaska, Illinois, East Coast

Scarlett
April 28th, 2012, 6:37 PM
I'd like to give Alaska a try.
My children would stage a revolt though.

Godzilla
April 28th, 2012, 6:48 PM
It is beautiful, would love to go back!! Bet I could get an admin. job there ya know;)

Texas Immigrant
April 28th, 2012, 6:51 PM
Oh, I'd like Alaska!!

Night Owl
April 28th, 2012, 9:24 PM
Scarlett
The kids would love Alaska. So would you.

CenTexDave
April 28th, 2012, 9:43 PM
Or check out Montana. Great place, except they had a blizzard there today!! :))

Texas Immigrant
April 28th, 2012, 10:37 PM
I was looking online about the Alaska Jobs. http://www.alaskateacher.org/jobs/detail.htm?categorySelect=Elementary+School+Teachi ng&AppliTrackRegion=&district=all&AppliTrackPostingSearch=+category%3A%22Elementary+ School+Teaching%22&cmdSearch=Search
A lot of the positions are for tiny villages. Sounds like an adventure. The ones I looked at had housing, and you even got a discount on your rent if you got one with no indoor plumbing.

corgifan
April 29th, 2012, 3:16 PM
No mass job hiring in Alaska. There never has been, never will be.

curmudgeon
April 29th, 2012, 8:08 PM
I lived in Montana for 8 years. I earned an Ed. degree from the University of Montana and searched for 3 years to find a job in state (2002-4). I was offered several in the eastern part of the state (think w. Texas with 1/5 as many people and twice as cold). I was offered another job on the east slope of the rockies for $19,000 if I coached football, basketball, and directed 2 plays. And to top it was offered another job at a private school for "troubled youth" for $10/hour teaching time only!

While I visit Montana biannually, I'm not certain what the job market is like there anymore. However, I do know that the population is getting smaller throughout most of the state except Missoula and Billings.

CenTexDave
April 29th, 2012, 8:45 PM
The population is getting smaller because it's becoming the playground of the rich and famous. Nobody else can afford to live there. Last time I was there I drove by Mel Gibson's "summer ranch" which he plucked down a cool $2M for near Big Sky.

curmudgeon
April 29th, 2012, 10:56 PM
The population is getting smaller because it's becoming the playground of the rich and famous. Nobody else can afford to live there. Last time I was there I drove by Mel Gibson's "summer ranch" which he plucked down a cool $2M for near Big Sky.

You're right and those jerks are greasing legislators pockets to restrict access to the rivers and wilderness to the common person at every opportunity. I've spent most of my time there in the western part of the state. But had Huey Lewis launch a firework at me while I was floating/fishing on the Bitterroot river adjacent to his property. As a side note, I got him back a few years later at a golf course in Missoula when he was playing in front of me and I drilled him in the back with a 5-iron punch shot from about 80 yards away "accidentally".... I had Bob Knight cuss me out because I wouldn't let him and his guide cut in front of me at a boat ramp on the Clark Fork. I've got a number of stories of these types harassing the common folk while I lived there...

prideworks
May 31st, 2012, 4:42 PM
Here in NC we're under 10% unemployed for the first time in 3 years. We're starting to see a slow increase in skilled and semi-skilled areas. That doesn't count the underemployed.

Night Owl
May 31st, 2012, 5:59 PM
What are those unemployment numbers based on?

CenTexDave
May 31st, 2012, 10:14 PM
Glad to see unemployment starting to come down, but like Owl insinuates, I have my doubts. Probably a bunch of unemployed have just given up.

prideworks
May 31st, 2012, 11:02 PM
data collected by Employment Services under Department of Commerce.

prideworks
June 1st, 2012, 8:38 AM
Glad to see unemployment starting to come down, but like Owl insinuates, I have my doubts. Probably a bunch of unemployed have just given up.

Having been through the process myself, I can tell you there is a level of depression that sets in after distributing 200 resumes with no results. I had to be really careful to keep a routine and not self-medicate in order to keep my spirits up. It ain't easy.
That being said, there are also a number of folk that don't try. I focus on working with those who don't give up.

Night Owl
June 1st, 2012, 8:43 AM
Those numbers are skewed by the government. Doesn't matter who is in office. Those numbers don't count the people who have run out of unemployment benefits, stopped looking, are underemployed, or are working part time only. The real unemployment rate is normally about double what is reported.