PDA

View Full Version : Home Warranty

Texas Immigrant
April 14th, 2012, 6:29 PM
We are currently with American Home Shield. Just looked at our new contract and they're upping our service call deductible and our premium. We don't have enough saved up in an emergency fund to cover a major expense, so I'd like to keep some sort of warranty current. Does anyone use another company with better rates?

Thanks!

CenTexDave
April 14th, 2012, 7:24 PM
I hope you have read the fine, fine print of these.
Everyone I signed up for I cancelled immediately when I received the papers in the mail. Too many "won't cover this, won't cover that" stuff.

Texas Immigrant
April 14th, 2012, 7:31 PM
Since we've had them they've covered a water heater, A/C problems, dish washer, and stove. But they've raised the prices so much I don't know that it's worth the investment. I don't think we used them at all last year.

siamcat
April 14th, 2012, 8:49 PM
Personally I have never used any of the extended coverage companies for my house.
Calculate the cost of what they covered for you against what you paid them and in most cases you could just take the money you pay for coverage and put it away to cover expenses when they creep up.
These companies in my opinion are in it to make money and they sell a fake sense of security. I think of them in the same term I do extended warrenties.
Water Heater, around $300 for a new basic one, same for a dishwasher, stoves can be expensive but a basic one around $500 new, and most airconditior problems cost less then $200 (unless it's a major problem). It's money for sure, but in my opinion it's cheaper to just put the premium away for repairs like that instead of giving it to a company.
Our house is 15 years old and (knock on wood) with basic maintenance all major things are working.

engteach64
April 14th, 2012, 10:07 PM
I have Old Republic. When you sign on you get a little booklet that very specifically tells what is covered and what isn't. My plan covers my house and my in ground pool for 525.00 a year. I have a 60.00 service fee for every call. I've used them two or three times now. I really like the company, and get very good results without any complaints on their end. Once the company they sent me didn't do the entire job, so they sent someone else at Old Republic's expense, not mine. I've talked to others who use them, and everyone seems to be happy with them.

Every page says what is covered, and right below each one it tells what isn't covered. There are no questions, but if you do find a question, just call them and they are happy to talk to you. I love this company.