PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

liessemsed
March 29th, 2012, 9:21 PM
Situation: You are a father who has just received custody of your 6-year old daughter "Jade", whom you haven't been around daily since she was 18 months old. Your ex-wife decided that Jade was too much to handle, which is how you got custody of her (Jade has speech problems, some educational issues, but is fine behavior-wise). Because of your job, you have to drop off "Jade" at child care at 5:30 a.m. while she's still sleeping. Child care takes her to school, and because she's been sleeping all morning, she has wild bedhead. Jade's hair is constantly in her hair all day long. Jade's teacher notices that her hair is bothering her all day - getting in her eyes, in her food, and it's still tangled from sleeping. The teacher decides to buy Jade a little brush and some rubber bands that she keeps at school. Since Jade gets to school early enough, the teacher decides to brush Jade's hair and put it up, figuring that Jade misses her mom doing her hair and she's trying to help Dad out a little bit since Jade is still a little young to put it up herself.

How would you react towards the teacher?

xzochye
March 29th, 2012, 9:28 PM
The teacher is being nice but if it bothers you speak with the teacher. I am sure she doesn't mean any harm believe it or not something as little as that can set the tone for that kids entire day. I did the same thing for one of my students a few years ago. Her hair was always wild and crazy and she was constantly brushing it aside. One day I was just being silly with her on the playground and put her hair in a braid. Everyday after that she started asking me to do her hair. She even brought me her brush the next day...lol. She was 5 or 6.

Ludwig
March 29th, 2012, 10:59 PM
Like it or not, the fact is that all teachers, by virtue of their exposure to our children, take on the position of alter-parent. I have a problem where in your initial posting you said the teacher was combing Jade's hair because she was, "figuring that Jade misses her mom doing her hair". And yet you give no basis for such an insight. Unless you have already spoken with the teacher you have no way of knowing her motives for her action. Accept with gratitude the teachers assistance. If her assistance bothers you then go have a talk with the teacher and come up with a unified plan for the child's proper hygiene.

CenTexDave
March 30th, 2012, 1:59 AM
Is the teacher a woman?
How old is she?
Is she married?
:)):)):))

liessemsed
March 30th, 2012, 6:15 PM
I asked this because the father of the child requested a meeting with me (the teacher). I was just going over possible scenarios in my head of what his reaction might be. I met with him today, and at first he was very apprehensive of why I would be taking care of his daughter. He thought it was to show him how inadequate he was as a father, like "You can't even brush your daughter's hair in the morning?!" He also thought I was using it as fodder to use when I called CPS. I told him that I had no intention of involving CPS, since his daughter was always dressed in clean clothes, had food, and seemed to be happy. I knew that she was dropped off super early, and having sported long, unruly hair back in the day, I knew what a pain it was to have to keep pushing it out of my face all day long. I told him I knew he'd had a hard time adjusting and just wanted to make his life a little easier. He softened up a bit, and explained that he was so nervous taking care of his little girl and was always worried that people were thinking he was a terrible father. I told him he was doing just fine. The reason I knew that Jade missed her mom doing her hair is she is always trying to touch or play with her classmates' hair and when I spoke to her about it she said, "Mommy used to put hair in piggietails. I like piggietails."

I was very glad everything worked out okay... thanks for your opinions!

corgifan
April 1st, 2012, 11:05 PM
I knew you were talking about yourself! Glad things worked out.

JoAnn Purser
April 2nd, 2012, 8:20 AM
Why wouldn't Dad ask childcare to help out too?

sojourner truth
April 2nd, 2012, 2:49 PM
My wife went through this when we were both in the army and our daughter had to go to a sitter, then to school, and then back to the sitter until one of us came and got her. She felt like she was an inadequate mother. Despite the fact that she loved and cared for our daughter 10 times better than many of our friends did when we were all together at the end of the day and on weekends. Despite the absences, our daughter grew up just fine, is well adjusted, has a good marriage and a great career. My wife still agonizes over it, and when our daughter came down last christmas from Florida my wife broke down and cried for an hour about it in front of her. My daughter tried to tell how she knew how much mom loved her and how great a mom she was, and that made her feel a little better, but not much. Todays society is very much afraid of CPS involvement in ther lives because it doesn't take much to have them show up on your doorstep. All it takes is a snoopy neighbor who has a grudge, or is simply a busybody to see something they don't like and report you. Feelings of guilt an inadequacy are reactions shown only parents who give a damn about their kids. The ones I worry about are the ones who don't care what their kids look like, much less what they are up to. You done good teacher. I wish dad could see that, and I wish more parents could see how much it means for a teacher to help when they can, especially at that tender age. Still, until dad KNOWS you are only doing this from the goodness of your heart, he's going to be leary because he's vulnerable...Plus he's probably heard a lot of CPS horror stories, and lays awake at night letting his imagination get the better of him. Your kindness and care may help him overcome that, as long as it doesn't become meddlesome to the point that it drives him into his defensive protected zone.

Rick
April 5th, 2012, 3:12 PM
It's a good idea for parents to learn to accept positive influences in their kids lives. It's certainly not a sign of weakness to do so.

Mr. Lucky
April 7th, 2012, 1:31 AM
That story made me think about Miss Jeanie Harmon. She was from France and actually married to Elwood Harmon. She taught my daughter at the Luthern School off Trimmer. It was Picture Day and my daughter showed up in her favorite t-shirt looking like the rag-a-muffin as normal. Jeanie put the prettiest white sweater on her for the pictures. It is my most favorite picture of my daughter. I always think of Jeanie when I look at it. She was and is such a wonderful and loving person. I am so happy my daughter had her as a teacher.

sojourner truth
April 7th, 2012, 2:34 PM
It also reminded me of when my wife went to Saudi for Desert Storm leaving me home to play "Mr. Mom" for our 10 year old daughter. The daily requirements for a 10 year old came as a stupendous surprise for me. Everything from getting her up, dressing her, getting her to school, and helping her with homework. Bath and story time were true bonding experiences for me. Every night we would sit down and write mommy a letter, and then I would put her to bed and read her a story. But then there were the other things...Finding out that she had a number of notes from her 4th grade teacher that she was hiding in her backpack (which I found by accident while cleaning the birds nest out). Then having to deal with the problem and then fixing it. All of these things can be a shock, and a steep learning curve for a father who has had the role of sole parent thrust upon them. Just figuring out when progress reports are due, or report cards, is a trick in itself. Miss one, and you're a bad dad. But, it was the best thing that ever happened for me, and my daughter. We are a lot closer than most dads and daughters are, and I thank God for the experience. But it isn't easy. I hope this dad will bond with his daughter in the same way, and learn that a moms life, a good mom, isn't as easy as a lot of men think. At least he cares....I've seen a lot of men who wouldn't even care, or try. I'll be saying a prayer for all 3 of the parties in this one.

lovetoread
April 8th, 2012, 5:01 PM
I was sick and in the hospital for several months. My husband was able to stay home and take care of the kids. I was asking him how things were going and he complained he could never pack lunches right so he had been send the kids with lunch money. My daughter was allergic to milk and couldn't eat pizza. Whenever checked menus. When the teacher called me to let me know how things were going she told me she had been making my daughters lunch. My husband finally figured it out but I will always be grateful for all the help.my husband was over whelmed with me and the kids. The help from school made a difference. That little girl is going to feel special. It takes all of us working together.

FieryPrincess
April 16th, 2012, 5:08 PM
I asked this because the father of the child requested a meeting with me (the teacher). I was just going over possible scenarios in my head of what his reaction might be. I met with him today, and at first he was very apprehensive of why I would be taking care of his daughter. He thought it was to show him how inadequate he was as a father, like "You can't even brush your daughter's hair in the morning?!" He also thought I was using it as fodder to use when I called CPS. I told him that I had no intention of involving CPS, since his daughter was always dressed in clean clothes, had food, and seemed to be happy. I knew that she was dropped off super early, and having sported long, unruly hair back in the day, I knew what a pain it was to have to keep pushing it out of my face all day long. I told him I knew he'd had a hard time adjusting and just wanted to make his life a little easier. He softened up a bit, and explained that he was so nervous taking care of his little girl and was always worried that people were thinking he was a terrible father. I told him he was doing just fine. The reason I knew that Jade missed her mom doing her hair is she is always trying to touch or play with her classmates' hair and when I spoke to her about it she said, "Mommy used to put hair in piggietails. I like piggietails."

I was very glad everything worked out okay... thanks for your opinions!

I am glad that "Jade's" dad sees that you are a positive influence in her life and I think "Jade" is lucky that you are her teacher.

ItsMe
April 17th, 2012, 8:57 PM
Is the teacher a woman?
How old is she?
Is she married?
:)):)):))

;)
LOL

CenTexDave
April 18th, 2012, 8:59 AM
I joke around here a lot, but I do understand the problem and I went through the same thing when my ex was staying in Austin trying to make her business get off the ground.
It takes a lot to be a single parent, especially if you are working. I thought I'd never have a moment's peace and quiet.