PDA

View Full Version : Dental insurance

cityboy
March 13th, 2012, 5:02 PM
I guess this is the proper forum for this:

If you have dental issues at all, beware of your dental insurance coverage. It could be highly inadequate. I know, I know, it's my own fault for being ignorant, but I had no idea my dental insurance covered a grand total of $1,000 per year. That's it. I have a lot of dental issues, and now I need a root canal. After a series of gum treatments already this year, I'll be paying for most of the root canal myself. For most people, I guess, $1,000 a year is plenty of coverage, but if you have one major issue (root canal, for example), you're maxed out for the year ...

FieryPrincess
March 13th, 2012, 7:46 PM
We are double covered and it still isn't really enough.

My daughter got braces this January, my son had two teeth pulled today (and assorted other dental things done) I had some cavities filled:

Even with double coverage, I've paid out $1600 in the last six months. And got trismus for my pain and anguish (look it up, it's "fun")

CenTexDave
March 13th, 2012, 9:53 PM
Dental insurance is expensive and, for the most part, very inadequate.

siamcat
March 14th, 2012, 7:02 PM
Through my husbands employer we have dental and haven't run into any caps yet ( 4 checkups/cleanings, one extraction, 4 crowns).
Dental is still expensive, but I guess it depends on what coverage you have.

cityboy
March 17th, 2012, 4:00 PM
I think my dentist is a good one, but it seems like he also likes to recommend the most expensive solutions to my dental problems. Never mind that I'm just a workin' stiff and no money tree in the backyard, it's like, yep, that's what we need to do or you're gonna have problems somewhere down the line. Well, guess what? I'm an old man, and I don't need to die with a million-dollar mouth! The tooth that he so quickly determined last week needs a root canal and fancy crown? Just pull it, for heaven's sakes. And then I'll get the fancy implant that he is pushing for the other side of my mouth ...

CenTexDave
March 17th, 2012, 5:52 PM
Watch out for implants. I have a friend who got 5 or 6 implants, and is in constant pain from them.

Mestral
March 17th, 2012, 6:16 PM
I guess this is the proper forum for this:

If you have dental issues at all, beware of your dental insurance coverage. It could be highly inadequate. I know, I know, it's my own fault for being ignorant, but I had no idea my dental insurance covered a grand total of $1,000 per year. That's it. I have a lot of dental issues, and now I need a root canal. After a series of gum treatments already this year, I'll be paying for most of the root canal myself. For most people, I guess, $1,000 a year is plenty of coverage, but if you have one major issue (root canal, for example), you're maxed out for the year ...

There are no easy solutions for dental. Since most of us have pretty much the same mouth as others in our age group have, the vast majority of dental "insurance" isn't insurance, but rather a dental "plan." As in time payments for your dental bills.