PDA

View Full Version : Fences

xzochye
February 9th, 2009, 11:58 AM
I have a nice sweet little dog that always gets out of the backyard. I have tried placing bricks where he digs and he some how manages to move them. Any suggestions on how to "rig" up my fence in the backyard? I have thought about buying an electric fence but really can't afford the $200+ it would cost.

Scarlett
February 9th, 2009, 12:19 PM
My dog was doing that. I bought a roll of chicken wire, at Lowes, and tacked it along the bottom of my fence and then bent it and tacked it to the ground. (I hope that made sense.)
The dog doesn't like how it feels on his paws, so he stopped digging there.
It was around $30 or less for a 50 ft. roll.

xzochye
February 9th, 2009, 1:12 PM
My dog was doing that. I bought a roll of chicken wire, at Lowes, and tacked it along the bottom of my fence and then bent it and tacked it to the ground. (I hope that made sense.)
The dog doesn't like how it feels on his paws, so he stopped digging there.
It was around $30 or less for a 50 ft. roll.

Did you just use tent spikes or something similar in the ground? Sorry I am not good at envisioning some things and need lots of details....LOL

Scarlett
February 9th, 2009, 2:24 PM
You can get little U shaped (flip that U upside down) metal thingys at Lowes too. Just do what I do...find a guy who works there, tell him you "Need a roll of chicken wire and little metal U thingys to push it into the ground" and chances are he will walk you to them...haha.

Staple gunned the top half to the wooden fence.

FieryPrincess
February 16th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Use heavioer rocks? If is it a little dog, there is only so much they can move.

I used those decorative bricks that had gone around my trees in circles. One day, i hope to put them back around the trees. I wedged them in and covered them up and neither my 50-pound nor my 70-pound dog moves them.

xzochye
February 20th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Use heavioer rocks? If is it a little dog, there is only so much they can move.

I used those decorative bricks that had gone around my trees in circles. One day, i hope to put them back around the trees. I wedged them in and covered them up and neither my 50-pound nor my 70-pound dog moves them.
Tried that and he is very persistent and he manages to move them. He has also chewed his way out of a dog taxi and bent the wires to get out of a dog crate...lol. Other than that he is a good dog. He doesn't chew what he shouldn't chew. I would just like to be able to leave him outside worry free when I take a day trip etc... A vet. suggested that he has separation anxiety and that I could medicate him. NOT!! [-(

Scarlett
February 20th, 2009, 10:58 PM
A vet. suggested that he has separation anxiety and that I could medicate him. NOT!! [-(
Your dog has ADD?
Even vets wanna solve problems by just medicating the "patients." Too funny.

Deb
February 21st, 2009, 2:24 PM
Tried that and he is very persistent and he manages to move them. He has also chewed his way out of a dog taxi and bent the wires to get out of a dog crate...lol. Other than that he is a good dog. [-(

Your dog is the second one who chewed his way out of the dog taxi and dog crate. My trainer has a basenju/beagle mix who did that, and Sprat the Brat ended up needing a couple of root canals. The trainer eventually got Sprat the Brat trained, but he had a heck of a time training Sprat. He still says today that Sprat was the hardest dog he's ever had to train. People who adopted him from the humane society would return him within a week because he was so untrainable. Made the humane society quite a bit of money till the trainer got hold of him.

FieryPrincess
February 21st, 2009, 7:40 PM
We had a dog that had been returned to the shelter.

Personally I am guessing it was his chewing that got him returned. He was a little tough to train out of that and will still chew on things that are left out occasionally, but other than that he is a WONDERFUL dog. Someone really missed out. This dog lives to make us happy and sleeps curled up next to my children. If it is cold, he'll sleep next to them and help keep them warm.

poundpup
February 21st, 2009, 10:36 PM
Your dog needs - I am sorry to say - exercise and mental challenges. Do you have a tree where you can hang a tire from and teach him to jump through it? Set up an obstacle course and teach him to run/jump it.

Or of course, free WALKS ... i have learned the hard way, that a nice long walk until the tongue hangs out is a cure-all. Once a day.

Also mental stimulation, obedience work. You have a smart dog that needs a challenge, whether it be physical or mental, or optimally, both.

The chicken wire along the ground is an excellent idea! Actually, I just remembered something that worked for me years ago with one of my dogs. I followed someone's advice, and put the poop I had scooped in the hole and covered it back up. It worked like a charm, and actually broke the dog's habit. Might be worth a try - and it's free.

As far as going somewhere ... get a large crate, if it's only once in a while, and crate train him. One foster dog I had LOVED his crate. He demanded to be able to get in it when the foster mom went to work and would happily stay in there all day. They get security from it - a safe cave. Just a thought!

Scarlett
February 21st, 2009, 11:33 PM
I am all about the crate. My dog sleeps in his. He goes right in there when he is tired and we close him in for the night and toss a blanket across it. I know he isn't tearing things up when I am asleep this way, and he stays nice and quiet until I wake up. A win-win. :O3