PDA

View Full Version : Grassy Yard

engteach64
March 7th, 2012, 3:32 PM
What can I do to make my yard beautiful? I hate the grass in Texas, and after the drought last year I have more weed things growing in my yard than grass. Is weed and feed enough, or should I do something more drastic to beautify my yard? Advice.

mac
March 7th, 2012, 3:37 PM
weed and feed.....and quickly!....mac

sojourner truth
March 7th, 2012, 3:45 PM
There are a lot of folks with that problem right now. Most of your large bare, dead spots are from white grubs eating all of the grass roots and killing the grass. The only thing they don't eat is weed roots. Once they get your lawn, it's gone for good unless you resod or reseed. In order to keep a lawn from getting destroyed every year, you must apply grub bait at least 4 times a year. Don't believe the "one feeding kills them all" baloney. The really effective insecticides have all been taken off the market because they had organophosphates in them, and EPA banned them. The newer products are almost useless unless you apply them 4 to 6 times a year. I applied 4 times last year, and lost a few spots anyhow. This year I applied 6 times, and it's looking better. Weed and feeds have never worked for me very well. Plus, they harm the trees if they leach into the ground water and can get your shrubs as well. I hate to say this, but I think the only way to fix your yard is to spray the weeds, kill them off, and then resod or reseed. That will not be cheap. Lawn care is one of the things when "an ounce of prevention" is a good idea. A good, healthy, thick St. Augustine lawn will keep weeds out naturally, as long as the grubs don't get it.

mac
March 7th, 2012, 3:52 PM
ST: diata******** earth and milk spores are awful good for these white grubs.....absolutely destroys them and stays effective for a good ten years......mac

There are a lot of folks with that problem right now. Most of your large bare, dead spots are from white grubs eating all of the grass roots and killing the grass. The only thing they don't eat is weed roots. Once they get your lawn, it's gone for good unless you resod or reseed. In order to keep a lawn from getting destroyed every year, you must apply grub bait at least 4 times a year. Don't believe the "one feeding kills them all" baloney. The really effective insecticides have all been taken off the market because they had organophosphates in them, and EPA banned them. The newer products are almost useless unless you apply them 4 to 6 times a year. I applied 4 times last year, and lost a few spots anyhow. This year I applied 6 times, and it's looking better. Weed and feeds have never worked for me very well. Plus, they harm the trees if they leach into the ground water and can get your shrubs as well. I hate to say this, but I think the only way to fix your yard is to spray the weeds, kill them off, and then resod or reseed. That will not be cheap. Lawn care is one of the things when "an ounce of prevention" is a good idea. A good, healthy, thick St. Augustine lawn will keep weeds out naturally, as long as the grubs don't get it.

sojourner truth
March 7th, 2012, 8:26 PM
Can you let me in on the formula mix. Sounds like you have had experience. The used to have an insecticide called Chlordane that would kill every bug in your grass for 5 years straight. Of course, it was banned after a while. Probably because it worked. Diazanon, which had marginal effects at best, was alo banned. The stuff on the market now is almost useless unless you put on 10 times as much as directions say. Diatamaceous earth and milk spores sounds wierd, but if it works it will be worth it. The only problem would be where to get it.

CenTexDave
March 8th, 2012, 3:05 AM
This is Texas. If God wanted you to have a beautiful lawn he'd make it rain.
Enjoy the extended break from weekend grass cutting, trimming, etc.

IronErnin
March 8th, 2012, 5:07 AM
For those looking for a source of Milky Spore, the Whatever Works catalog is offering a 10oz can for 49.99 or two of them for 47.99 each. I've never used anything like this, so $50 for a 10oz can doesn't sound like a great deal. But, if you want it or need it...
It appears on pg 27 of the current catalog. The company can be reached at 1 800 499 6757; on the web @ www,whateverworks.com

Night Owl
March 8th, 2012, 7:03 AM
nematodes (misspelled, I'm sure). Those little critters love grubs and fire ants.

IronErnin
March 8th, 2012, 8:41 AM
Also, I've never tried it, but a gentleman that I met once recommends using Amway's Liquid Organic Cleaner (LOC) in 50/50 mix with water through a garden sprayer twice a year to maintain a lush green ant and flea free lawn.

Grammar Rules
June 12th, 2013, 7:10 AM
I have a lawn-related question relating to my lawn mower which runs on gas which requires a gas can which needs a cap. ;)

Lost the darned cap, and I couldn't find a replacement one at the auto store or HEB, so I splurged on a new can (plastic, of course) at the Walmart. Who designed this thing? Ecoterrorists? It has a handle only on the top, where my old one has one on the back side as well for stability. Then there's the spout, which is some crappy plastic combo of pointy gear teeth and child-proof tabs that have to be twisted until they interlock, at which point I attempt to simultaneously lift the five-gallon can with one hand and hold the spout in "position" with the other, tip the can, and fill the mower, pouring a cup or two onto the driveway or my foot.

Does anyone know where I can get a cap for my simple, old gas can?

cnjbond
June 12th, 2013, 7:42 AM
I have a lawn-related question relating to my lawn mower which runs on gas which requires a gas can which needs a cap. ;)

Lost the darned cap, and I couldn't find a replacement one at the auto store or HEB, so I splurged on a new can (plastic, of course) at the Walmart. Who designed this thing? Ecoterrorists? It has a handle only on the top, where my old one has one on the back side as well for stability. Then there's the spout, which is some crappy plastic combo of pointy gear teeth and child-proof tabs that have to be twisted until they interlock, at which point I attempt to simultaneously lift the five-gallon can with one hand and hold the spout in "position" with the other, tip the can, and fill the mower, pouring a cup or two onto the driveway or my foot.

Ebay has EVERYTHING....or you might get lucky with Craigslist.

CenTexDave
June 12th, 2013, 8:07 AM
use a rag lol

Grammar Rules
June 12th, 2013, 9:37 AM
I'm not sure that's a good idea, Dave. I ordered two sets, spout, lid, and all, from Amazon. Probably pricier than eBay, but I have a regular account with Amazon, and simplicity is important (no smart alek comments needed). Craig's would be the cheapest, but I'm not driving 20 miles to deal with a weirdo.

mac
June 12th, 2013, 10:42 AM
Can you let me in on the formula mix. Sounds like you have had experience. The used to have an insecticide called Chlordane that would kill every bug in your grass for 5 years straight. Of course, it was banned after a while. Probably because it worked. Diazanon, which had marginal effects at best, was alo banned. The stuff on the market now is almost useless unless you put on 10 times as much as directions say. Diatamaceous earth and milk spores sounds wierd, but if it works it will be worth it. The only problem would be where to get it.

sorry, sojurner, but i just now saw this. there's no "recipe" involved, i did not mean to say diat****** earth w/milk spores. i meant to say one or the other. in fact, it wouldn't s'prise me but what if the earth might not kill the milky spores if used together. sorry i didn't see this sooner. i get my milky spore at Oma's.....over on old 440.....mac

mac
June 12th, 2013, 10:44 AM
use a corn cob.....mac

HistoryTeacher
June 12th, 2013, 10:57 AM
Picked up a regular gas can at Mickey's on Trimmier and Jasper a few months ago.

Mestral
June 12th, 2013, 5:57 PM
I'm not sure that's a good idea, Dave. I ordered two sets, spout, lid, and all, from Amazon. Probably pricier than eBay, but I have a regular account with Amazon, and simplicity is important (no smart alek comments needed). Craig's would be the cheapest, but I'm not driving 20 miles to deal with a weirdo.Dave's recommendation comes from some guy named "Molotov" who is famous for cocktails.

Let me guess, the cap you lost was a little yellow thing? The cans that had an open tube spout with a little yellow cap were the first ones to handle this new gas with butane in it without letting the butane get away. (not too big a deal with push mowers, but death to cars) Did you find something similar on Amazon, or settle for something different? If you can find spout sets that use that open tube with the little yellow cap on the top, the info would be golden. Some years back, the EPA made a "rule" that you can't sell gas cans with that kind of spout any more. Please let us know if what you get from Amazon is any good.

Mestral
June 12th, 2013, 6:07 PM
There are a lot of folks with that problem right now.
. . .
Weed and feeds have never worked for me very well. Plus, they harm the trees if they leach into the ground water and can get your shrubs as well. I hate to say this, but I think the only way to fix your yard is to spray the weeds, kill them off, and then resod or reseed. That will not be cheap. Lawn care is one of the things when "an ounce of prevention" is a good idea. A good, healthy, thick St. Augustine lawn will keep weeds out naturally, as long as the grubs don't get it.I got the same problem with weeds, but not from grubs. You must have a serious grub problem in your neighborhood. The weed and seed stuff contains 2,4D and that will kill ANYTHING that has "leaves" but won't kill grasses. I killed a couple trees with it before I found out how sensitive the trees are in this area.

Anybody have any experience with Atrazine? I have been using small amounts of it. Stuns grasses, which tend to recover, kill weeds, which tend not to recover. Don't know the effect on local trees. I came from a place where it rained very very often, and have had some trouble figuring out how to deal with plants here. (I poured 200+ pounds of salt on a rock bed to kill off grasses that were growing up in it, and the grass and weeds ignored it, but a couple oz of 2,4D kills a tree?)

Grammar Rules
June 12th, 2013, 8:01 PM
Here's what I ordered. It's illegal? Cool. I feel like a part of the anti-establishment now.:))
I'll report back next week.

Moeller Scepter Gas/Diesel/Water Can Replacement Parts by Moeller Marine (Jan 19, 2007)

$5.62
Order in the next 22 hours and get it by Friday, Jun 14.
(40)
Eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping.
Sports & Outdoors: See all 25 items

sojourner truth
June 12th, 2013, 8:26 PM
I got the same problem with weeds, but not from grubs. You must have a serious grub problem in your neighborhood. The weed and seed stuff contains 2,4D and that will kill ANYTHING that has "leaves" but won't kill grasses. I killed a couple trees with it before I found out how sensitive the trees are in this area.

Anybody have any experience with Atrazine? I have been using small amounts of it. Stuns grasses, which tend to recover, kill weeds, which tend not to recover. Don't know the effect on local trees. I came from a place where it rained very very often, and have had some trouble figuring out how to deal with plants here. (I poured 200+ pounds of salt on a rock bed to kill off grasses that were growing up in it, and the grass and weeds ignored it, but a couple oz of 2,4D kills a tree?)

I hate to dissagree, but 24D (alias agent orange) will kill Saint Augustine. I doesn't kill Bermuda or othe narrow leaf grasses, but it does a JOB on St. Augustine. Especially Raleigh.

If You really want a cheap gas cap, go to either tractor supply or any place that supplies boat stuff and you can buy an expandable rubber stopper plug, like what you use on the boat (affectionately referred to as the dammit plug, as your boat sinks if you don't remember to put it in). I had one in an old mower and it worked for years. Walmart actually has replacement caps, and they are usually a universal fit.

Mestral
June 13th, 2013, 2:16 AM
I don't use 2,4D anywhere near my house any more.

I'll have to check into the boat plug.
Would be good for emergencies, if nothing else.

sojourner truth
June 13th, 2013, 8:29 AM
Yeah, theol' boat plug has come in handy for a numberof emergencies....

If you really need something creative for the yard go to tractor supply...If, for no other reason, just to take an hour and browse. They have some stuff in there that you wouldn't even think about until you saw it. Very creative solutions to real problems. They have containment and distribution stuff for all sorts of fluids...from water, oil gas and chemicals.

I'd also be willing to bet they have some very neat fuel storage containers, as well as gas caps etc....

I'm going over there today to check out some wire welders...as I am thinking of building another hot rod, and don't want to have to pay someone else for welding I can do myself.

Mestral
August 12th, 2013, 3:47 AM
Here's what I ordered. It's illegal? Cool. I feel like a part of the anti-establishment now.:))
I'll report back next week.
Moeller Scepter Gas/Diesel/Water Can Replacement Parts by Moeller Marine (Jan 19, 2007)
$5.62
Order in the next 22 hours and get it by Friday, Jun 14.
(40)
Eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping.
Sports & Outdoors: See all 25 items
Did you ever get this cap?
Was it what you expected?

Grammar Rules
August 12th, 2013, 5:20 AM
I got it, but silly me, it's not a universal cap. If I had a Moeller gas can, it would be perfect.