PDA

View Full Version : Salt Lamps

JoAnn Purser
February 27th, 2012, 7:09 AM
Saw these the other day and am curious if anyone uses a salt lamp at home or office.

I notice them in spas and have never asked why they are there, but have been recently told of some health benefits from negative energy from TVs and computers.

Brian McCall
February 27th, 2012, 9:59 AM
Never heard of them. But a warning: Be wary whenever someone uses phrases like "negative energy." It usually means someone wants your money.

stormy
February 27th, 2012, 10:24 AM
They have these at the store in the mall that's located right next to the food court. The lady said that it ionizes the air or something like that (can't remember exactly what she said) and it helps purify the air. She specifically said it helps people with allergies. They're pretty cool to look at too! :)

mac
February 27th, 2012, 10:24 AM
we have 2 that we use as night lights......didn't know, and don't believe they have any therapeutic or curitive value....mac (they are pretty, though)

Never heard of them. But a warning: Be wary whenever someone uses phrases like "negative energy." It usually means someone wants your money.

Brian McCall
February 27th, 2012, 10:46 AM
They have these at the store in the mall that's located right next to the food court. The lady said that it ionizes the air or something like that (can't remember exactly what she said) and it helps purify the air. She specifically said it helps people with allergies. They're pretty cool to look at too! :)

Yeah. Stick with what mac likes them for.I have seen them before, and yeah, they're pretty. But whenever someone starts talking about "ions" and "purifying" anything, run away. You're about to step into a big steaming pile of scientific quackery. It's as bad as those so-called ionic air purifiers that were really nothing more than ozone generators. Everyone thought they were cleaning the air, but really were just destroying their lung tissue by breathing in lots of nasty ozone gas.

Ludwig
February 27th, 2012, 5:41 PM
Salt lamps give off a pleasing light. There are no studies proving salt lamps are harmful to health. While some proponents claim great health benefits, there is no scientific data to back up those claims.

I would not pay more for a salt lamp than I would pay for any other pleasant lamp. I ceratinly would not spend more for a salt lamp based on unproven and non-specific "atmosphere cleansing" properties.

IronErnin
February 28th, 2012, 7:06 AM
I see them in most of the catalogs I receive in the mail. I agree with what everyone is saying about them being pretty to look at. As to the health claims, I've seen the same substance advertised as a natural deodorant.