PDA

View Full Version : UIL Realignment - Just As Most Of Us Thought

CenTexDave
February 2nd, 2012, 1:02 PM
Hewitt Midway and Killeen move to 5-A.
The new district is 8-5A: Midway, Temple, Belton, Heights, Ellison, Shoemaker, Killeen and Cove.
Bryan and A&M Conso were moved into District 14 and will have some good programs in there - Lufkin and The Woodlands.
What everyone now needs to realize is that 8-5A is in Region I - we get playoffs with the likes of DeSoto, Duncanville, Euless Trinity, Southlake Carroll, Odessa Permian, Abilene and Midland Lee. Fat chance any of our teams will win a state championship in this setup.

dawglover
February 2nd, 2012, 2:29 PM
Hewitt Midway and Killeen move to 5-A.
The new district is 8-5A: Midway, Temple, Belton, Heights, Ellison, Shoemaker, Killeen and Cove.
Bryan and A&M Conso were moved into District 14 and will have some good programs in there - Lufkin and The Woodlands.
What everyone now needs to realize is that 8-5A is in Region I - we get playoffs with the likes of DeSoto, Duncanville, Euless Trinity, Southlake Carroll, Odessa Permian, Abilene and Midland Lee. Fat chance any of our teams will win a state championship in this setup.

Aww com'on! Our Dawgs can beat them. I hear you on the rest of the district though. :)):)

CenTexDave
February 2nd, 2012, 2:51 PM
Southlake Carroll went undefeated this past year and won State. Another notch in their belt.
Cove's opening game was at SLC, and we had them beat 28-17 in the 4th quarter and blew it.
I was talking to a SLC fan on 5-A Football.com website - he said Cove gave them the toughest game they had in years.
Whether that is true, or he was just being a nice guy, I don't know. But if true, what the hell happened in the area round when we got our clocks cleaned by Rowlett?

Iteachtoo
February 2nd, 2012, 3:28 PM
You know, football is a funny game, you just never know who may come out of the mist to surprise you. It ain't over till it's over! My Roo's are not losing a lot of seniors. Will their path be harder than this years......well, yea, duh, but you just never know. Cove, Midway, and Belton players could get hit by a bus....truly they could.:)

RooDawg
February 2nd, 2012, 3:40 PM
This district will be set for a while...I do not see any of the schools falling below 5A numbers anytime soon...the part that got me was the region switch...and can someone tell me how in the world can anyone think of a positive thing about that bi-district...too many one and done's (in any sport) in my mind when you face that district in the playoffs...

JohnKilleen
February 2nd, 2012, 3:51 PM
Yep moving to region 1 was kind of a shock...but it happened before. I kind of thought that if they combined the Odess-Midland district with the panhandle schools, it would open up a spot in region 1 that they might put us in. It is going to be very tough in the playoffs.

xzochye
February 2nd, 2012, 3:54 PM
Aww com'on! Our Dawgs can beat them. I hear you on the rest of the district though. :)):)

Yeah right! Dawgs haven't managed to win state and now that goal is even farther away.

dawglover
February 2nd, 2012, 3:58 PM
...... But if true, what the hell happened in the area round when we got our clocks cleaned by Rowlett?

Because when they played Rowlett they all had to go to the toilet. It's really hard to hold it when you have to go to the toilet, especially when you're playing Rowlett. So ****it, get over it. F*** Rowlett and their nasty toilets too. Now do you understand what happened?:)

dawglover
February 2nd, 2012, 4:00 PM
Yep moving to region 1 was kind of a shock...but it happened before. I kind of thought that if they combined the Odess-Midland district with the panhandle schools, it would open up a spot in region 1 that they might put us in. It is going to be very tough in the playoffs.

Especially for you guys in Killeen. We'll keep the Roos in our prayers.:)):)):))

dawglover
February 2nd, 2012, 4:02 PM
This district will be set for a while...I do not see any of the schools falling below 5A numbers anytime soon...the part that got me was the region switch...and can someone tell me how in the world can anyone think of a positive thing about that bi-district...too many one and done's (in any sport) in my mind when you face that district in the playoffs...

Are you forgetting that those guys are thinking that they have to face us? Well no you guys in Killeen, but the Dawgs definately.:)

dawglover
February 2nd, 2012, 4:04 PM
You know, football is a funny game, you just never know who may come out of the mist to surprise you. It ain't over till it's over! My Roo's are not losing a lot of seniors. Will their path be harder than this years......well, yea, duh, but you just never know. Cove, Midway, and Belton players could get hit by a bus....truly they could.:)

That's what it will take to give the Killeen teams a chance. :)):)):))

jimbob
February 2nd, 2012, 4:05 PM
Southlake Carroll went undefeated this past year and won State. Another notch in their belt.
Cove's opening game was at SLC, and we had them beat 28-17 in the 4th quarter and blew it.
I was talking to a SLC fan on 5-A Football.com website - he said Cove gave them the toughest game they had in years.
Whether that is true, or he was just being a nice guy, I don't know. But if true, what the hell happened in the area round when we got our clocks cleaned by Rowlett?

lol!Dave, they should win them all, shouldn't they? If they play well, over their heads and win, then every team should fall to Cove. You're a great supporter. The Roo's will compete well. Shoemaker will be greatly improved. Temple is loaded and Midway is coming off a state title run. Now if Dave was a fan of Midways, he would be ripping them for not winning the "big one." This will be a tough district.

dawglover
February 2nd, 2012, 4:06 PM
The Killeend teams don't realize it yet but Jack Welsh in Cove is going to unveil RG4 next season. Look out!!!!:)):)):)):))

dawglover
February 2nd, 2012, 4:08 PM
..... then every team should fall to Cove. ..... The Roo's will compete well. Shoemaker will be greatly improved. Temple is loaded and Midway is coming off a state title run. This will be a tough district.

Yeah right. And Aunt Jimimah can whop King Kong to. :)):)):)) Cove has this locked in.

CenTexDave
February 2nd, 2012, 4:39 PM
We were in Region I before - back in 1998 I think it was. That was when Cove played Midland Lee in the regional finals and lost to them and a kid named Cedric Benson.
The district was put in Region I because the UIL President was the husband of Georgetown's womens' basketball coach. G-town had a real good ladies' team, but she got tired of losing to the Lady Dawgs and figured if we were in Region I G-town would go to state. She was wrong!! :))

onetime
February 2nd, 2012, 7:04 PM
All of the Killeen schools with the exception of Harker Heights, who have both the talent and real 5A numbers, could be on a playoff hiatus. While I won't count out the Roos in football I think they will have to beat Shoe, The Buddyson buzzards, and Temple/Heights. There are no Lake Views, Gatesvilles, or Waco Universities, to beat up on, each game will be decided by a touchdown or less. Let's not forget the lucky fourth place team will get pummeled in the first round.

CenTexDave
February 2nd, 2012, 7:44 PM
Go back and check last year's scoring. Shoemaker, with that all-everything Jefferson kid, got blown out of the stadium. So did Ellison and Heights. Belton was close until the Dawgs caused some turnovers.
Cove has some spots to fill, but they always find the right mixture.
The district championship will be decided when Cove plays Midway.

blueeagle
February 2nd, 2012, 7:49 PM
All of the Killeen schools with the exception of Harker Heights, who have both the talent and real 5A numbers, could be on a playoff hiatus. While I won't count out the Roos in football I think they will have to beat Shoe, The Buddyson buzzards, and Temple/Heights. There are no Lake Views, Gatesvilles, or Waco Universities, to beat up on, each game will be decided by a touchdown or less. Let's not forget the lucky fourth place team will get pummeled in the first round.

Ellison is larger than Harker Heights High School, so they have true 5A numbers also. I really wish KHS could have stayed in 4A.

RooDawg
February 2nd, 2012, 7:57 PM
Regardless of who comes out of this district in ANY athletic event they will still have to face...Duncanville, Cedar Hill, Desoto, or South Grand Prairie...And if you get through those teams then our district will be facing some Flower Mound Schools and such...playoff runs, even for Cove, will not be long on a consistent basis...

JohnKilleen
February 2nd, 2012, 8:04 PM
The new district is not going to be very strong. Sorry Cove, I am sure you will make the playoffs, but I think Midway will be top dog and I believe a reborn Temple program is going to do some payback big time.One of the KISD teams may slip in; Belton is kind of always an underchiever.

CenTexDave
February 2nd, 2012, 8:17 PM
Could very well happen. Midway has been a powerhouse for a few years now.

onetime
February 2nd, 2012, 9:10 PM
Ellison talent pool or scheme or both stink right now though.

onetime
February 2nd, 2012, 9:14 PM
The new district is not going to be very strong. Sorry Cove, I am sure you will make the playoffs, but I think Midway will be top dog and I believe a reborn Temple program is going to do some payback big time.One of the KISD teams may slip in; Belton is kind of always an underchiever. Honestly, it is not fair to the coaching staff, the kids, or their parents to have to travel to Lake Travis, Hutto, San Angelo, Hendrickson, Marble falls, or dripping springs on a tuesday, wednesday, or thursday night and then turn around and have to go to school the following morning after getting home at midnight or later. For the football staff it is twice as brutal to drive up to San angelo twice in less then 24 hours. I think most would welcome the opportunity to ride up to hewitt over san angelo any day of the week.

blueeagle
February 3rd, 2012, 3:35 PM
The new district is not going to be very strong. Sorry Cove, I am sure you will make the playoffs, but I think Midway will be top dog and I believe a reborn Temple program is going to do some payback big time.One of the KISD teams may slip in; Belton is kind of always an underchiever.

I agree with you, Midway is going to be the one to beat. They played a really good game in the state playoff,against that professional team in Austin.:))

JohnKilleen
February 3rd, 2012, 5:14 PM
Any ideas who the KISD schools are scheduling for non district. I saw Temple has SLC and Westlake. I am sure KISD will end up with Austin area teams.

corgifan
February 4th, 2012, 7:54 PM
While I won't count out the Roos in football I think they will have to beat Shoe, The Buddyson buzzards, and Temple/Heights.
The Roos are going to be just fine. Their QB, who was pretty danged good as a first time starter, will be a big story this fall.

onetime
February 5th, 2012, 9:44 AM
The Roos are going to be just fine. Their QB, who was pretty danged good as a first time starter, will be a big story this fall.

I dunno, they have had the athletes in athletically weak districts the past four years. Cove, temple, midway, and the other Killeen schools have athletes so as I have said already their will be no cake walls this year. Lampasas, lake view, or sub par performing teams such hutto, waco u, dripp, or marble falls. I guess shoe will fulfill the scrub team and Ellison will be the sub par, heights and temple will be the above average but under performing squad ala plfugerville hendrickson. Cove and midway are what they are

xzochye
February 5th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Did you just say that Henderickson is under performing? They have a really good team. Last year they went to the second round of the playoffs.

onetime
February 5th, 2012, 1:33 PM
During the time they were in the district they were underperforming. Second round of the playoffs really is not that big of an accomplishment either, I am sure they expected to go at least to the quarters with the talent they had.

RooDawg
February 7th, 2012, 8:49 AM
Everyone in town will be fighting for one playoff spot...i can see cove and midway taking at least two spots...then you have belton and temple fighting for a third spot...and the killeen schools fighting for one remaining spot...each of the next two years you will see one or maybe no kisd school in the playoffs...and I will ALMOST guarantee that if one does make it to the playoffs it will be one and done...any kisd school would make the big school playoffs and would play the likes of Duncanville (4000 students) or Desoto (2900 students) in the first round.

blueeagle
February 7th, 2012, 9:20 AM
I really, really, really, really wish we (KHS) had stayed 4A.

DiamondKing
February 7th, 2012, 10:34 AM
KISD athletics is in trouble.

RooDawg
February 7th, 2012, 12:18 PM
KISD athletics is in trouble.

That is an excellent statement...and oh, so true...KISD ATHLETICS (all sports, all schools) are in trouble

Night Owl
February 7th, 2012, 12:41 PM
Lest we forget the age old advice, "It's only a game."

kjpool
February 7th, 2012, 2:46 PM
That is an excellent statement...and oh, so true...KISD ATHLETICS (all sports, all schools) are in trouble

Everyone in town will be fighting for one playoff spot...i can see cove and midway taking at least two spots...then you have belton and temple fighting for a third spot...and the killeen schools fighting for one remaining spot...each of the next two years you will see one or maybe no kisd school in the playoffs...and I will ALMOST guarantee that if one does make it to the playoffs it will be one and done...any kisd school would make the big school playoffs and would play the likes of Duncanville (4000 students) or Desoto (2900 students) in the first round.

Okay time for me to jump in here (and I apologize for rambling)... I agree that it will be difficult for any football team in this district (to include Cove) to get beyond the 1st round of playoffs in this region HOWEVER as far as the other sports (I know its a football thread):

TRACK: I see great successes for KISD track teams....Ellisons boys and Heights girls can actually win the Regional meet and get a ton of kids and/or their entire teams to the State Meet out of this region....

GIRLS BASKETBALL: Heights girls basketball STOMPED every team in this new district (except Temple) this year and has all those kids coming back which means they will likely win district next year as well which in turn means they will play the 4th place team out of a pretty tough District 7....that said they played quite a few of the teams out of this new Region in tournaments this year and either kicked them or beat them in a close game which tells me they will NOT go one and done next year in playoffs (now's the time to remind or inform everyone that HHHS girls basketball was one of two remaining teams in the entire state that was undefeated up until a couple of weeks ago and they just clinched a district win the other night against top 20 A&M consolidated AND will go into the playoffs ranked in the top 10) and if you ask most girls basketball coaches they will say that traditionally Region 2 is considered the tougher region in girls basketball).....

BOYS BASKETBALL :I think that KISD boys basketball teams will jockey for the top 4 spots in district next year .....Heights boys basketballl ALWAYS schedules the toughest teams around and they hold their own or better and Shoemaker and Ellison also schedule tough which will only help them not go "one and done" in bi-district....

OTHER: volleyball, softball, baseball will continue to struggle...as to the other sports I have no predictions

RooDawg
February 8th, 2012, 12:09 AM
i love you optimism kj and i hope you are right in your predictions...but let me add that in track desoto and duncanville usually have GREAT track teams, especially on the girls' side so the regional meet is not a guarantee...district can be good for the four schools because this area has done a good job with their track programs...I have to disagree with the girls' basketball section...other than heights' girls i can not see any one going beyond the first round of the playoffs...again we are talking about duncanville, desoto, mansfield timberview, and south grand prairie who are all currently in the top 18 in the state rankings...Heights will get to run into them later in the playoffs only if they are able to get past a very good pflugerville team this year...

boys basketball will be battled i agree, but again, i can only say that the other district has quality teams each and every year starting with desoto and duncanville...mansfield timberview is having a down time now but they are usually a team to contend with (remember this was a team that almost had manley as their head coach several years ago)...and now south grand prairie is in the top 10 in the state...the heights boys team will hopefully get to avoid desoto for a couple of rounds this year in the playoffs...

onetime
February 8th, 2012, 10:02 AM
Bottom line (playoff picture) the 5a schools are relatively the same, Killeen is nearly the same as they were last year with stiffer competition if they make the playoffs. Kj great positive vibe but outside of heights bb boys and girls all is lost for KISD. They are not winning anything in track minus the couple of pockets of winners in the regional meet. Some one will win district, big deal, and then get smashed in the regional meet.

kjpool
February 8th, 2012, 10:22 AM
i love you optimism kj and i hope you are right in your predictions...but let me add that in track desoto and duncanville usually have GREAT track teams, especially on the girls' side so the regional meet is not a guarantee...district can be good for the four schools because this area has done a good job with their track programs...I have to disagree with the girls' basketball section...other than heights' girls i can not see any one going beyond the first round of the playoffs...again we are talking about duncanville, desoto, mansfield timberview, and south grand prairie who are all currently in the top 18 in the state rankings...Heights will get to run into them later in the playoffs only if they are able to get past a very good pflugerville team this year...

boys basketball will be battled i agree, but again, i can only say that the other district has quality teams each and every year starting with desoto and duncanville...mansfield timberview is having a down time now but they are usually a team to contend with (remember this was a team that almost had manley as their head coach several years ago)...and now south grand prairie is in the top 10 in the state...the heights boys team will hopefully get to avoid desoto for a couple of rounds this year in the playoffs...

My eternal optimism was dashed after I did a little fact checking...HHHS girls lose 3 starters!!!:doh....you're right...they're toast in the bi-district....oh well ...hope springs eternal!!!;)

kjpool
February 8th, 2012, 10:50 AM
Bottom line (playoff picture) the 5a schools are relatively the same, Killeen is nearly the same as they were last year with stiffer competition if they make the playoffs. Kj great positive vibe but outside of heights bb boys and girls all is lost for KISD. They are not winning anything in track minus the couple of pockets of winners in the regional meet. Some one will win district, big deal, and then get smashed in the regional meet.

Okay OT ...I want you to remember that you said this come the regional meet next year... heights girls run in a couple of REALLY competitive meets a year in the dallas area and do quite well...I think they will surprise you ( not me)....I still think ellisons boys will get quite a few out as well... and in the end what's everyone expecting? so what if we get only 1 or 2 teams out to the 2nd rounds and beyond? that's pretty normal for any district isn't it.... dont the stacked districts (like 7-5A) start knocking each other off in the area rounds anyway...maybe I'm wrong...I haven't really studied a bracket in quite awhile...

xzochye
February 8th, 2012, 5:51 PM
BOYS BASKETBALL :I think that KISD boys basketball teams will jockey for the top 4 spots in district next year .....Heights boys basketballl ALWAYS schedules the toughest teams around and they hold their own or better and Shoemaker and Ellison also schedule tough which will only help them not go "one and done" in bi-district....

KISD basketball is holding their own. Go SHS and Ellison!

http://kdhnews.com/news/story.aspx?s=64137

RooDawg
February 10th, 2012, 8:15 AM
KISD basketball is holding their own. Go SHS and Ellison!

http://kdhnews.com/news/story.aspx?s=64137

That's this year. Next year in the first round of the playoffs is going to be the tough one.

xzochye
February 10th, 2012, 9:31 AM
It may be tough but I will keep the faith.