PDA

View Full Version : Paterno Has Died

Rick
January 21st, 2012, 8:22 PM
A sad situation all the way around.

Rick
January 21st, 2012, 8:48 PM
Well now, it is unclear if he has died. The story I read this was from a Drudge link. That link has been taken down and FOX News says he is in Serious Condition (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/01/21/paterno-in-serious-condition-spokesman-says/?test=latestnews).

beaver
January 21st, 2012, 9:00 PM
His family has tweeted that he is alive as of now.

cnjbond
January 21st, 2012, 9:04 PM
All the reports I've been seeing state that he's in serious condition also.

CenTexDave
January 21st, 2012, 9:53 PM
It seems these long term coaches all die soon after retiring - Bear Bryant, Woody Hayes, and JoPa will go soon. Wonder when Bobby Bowden is going to leave us.

Chief
January 21st, 2012, 11:49 PM
Joe Pa was completely disrespected. What a horrible way to end a Hall of Fame career. Should he/could he have done more regarding the sex allegations? I don't know, but to wipe his name from everything he earned throughout his career is unbelieveable.
There are felons playing in the NFL, POTUS who had sex with an inturn, and Joe PA gets singled out. It's amazing how sex overcomes all other felony crimes.

Rick
January 22nd, 2012, 6:11 AM
This scandal is not about sex.

Rick
January 22nd, 2012, 6:13 AM
College news editor resigns over false Paterno death report (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/01/22/college-news-editor-resigns-over-false-paterno-report/).

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. – A student-run news organization that covers Penn State has posted a letter online from its managing editor announcing his immediate resignation after the publication's Twitter (http://www.foxnews.com/topics/twitter.htm#r_src=ramp) account sent messages saying former coach Joe Paterno (http://www.foxnews.com/topics/ncaa/div1/big-ten/coach-joe-paterno.htm#r_src=ramp) had died.

CenTexDave
January 22nd, 2012, 6:13 AM
I think it was Rick. Bottom line - Sandusky wanted sex with a young boy.

JoAnn Purser
January 22nd, 2012, 7:23 AM
The family has been called in. Pray for the family.

CenTexDave
January 22nd, 2012, 8:33 AM
It's really a shame. I was never a Penn State fan,but this guy was a great coach and a class act.
That PSU treated him like this will go down into the Hall of Shame.

TheOldProgrammer
January 22nd, 2012, 9:36 AM
Just got two Facebook posts indicating that Joe Paterno has died at the age of 85... One was from 254Sports.com, the other from KWTX...who got their information from the AP.

Here's a link to the story from ESPN:
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7489238/joe-paterno-ex-penn-state-nittany-lions-coach-dies-85-2-month-cancer-fight

:smoke

Chief
January 22nd, 2012, 11:17 AM
I got the following from a friend and I think it says it best -

Penn State's Joe Paterno has died at age 85. The medical record will probably say "complications of lung cancer." Those of us who knew him, even only tangentially, will - like ESPN's Matt Millen - say it was of a broken heart. I hope that every member of the PSU board of trustees, and every reporter and commentator who eviscerated him in print, on the air and in cyberspace, understands his or her role in bringing this story to its sad conclusion. RIP, JoePa.

CenTexDave
January 22nd, 2012, 11:49 AM
Of course this is all over the news now - ESPN, SI, AP, Yahoo.
A couple of the sports writers who were calling for his head two months ago are now praising him.
Damned media makes me sick.

Grammar Rules
January 22nd, 2012, 12:31 PM
I agree, Dave. Who wants to listen to them try to have it both ways?

Ludwig
January 22nd, 2012, 4:41 PM
I got the following from a friend and I think it says it best -

Penn State's Joe Paterno has died at age 85. The medical record will probably say "complications of lung cancer." Those of us who knew him, even only tangentially, will - like ESPN's Matt Millen - say it was of a broken heart. I hope that every member of the PSU board of trustees, and every reporter and commentator who eviscerated him in print, on the air and in cyberspace, understands his or her role in bringing this story to its sad conclusion. RIP, JoePa.

JoePa died because the Author of Life decided that it was time for that to happen.

I fail to see how he would have a broken heart. He was well aware of his complicity in the crime committed by the homosexual pedophile he had as an assistant. If his heart was broken then it was most likely from the realization that he had let his school, his athletes and his fans down. Those whom you charge with having eviscerated him did nothing more than to reflect the outrage which these people felt.

May his soul, through the mercy of God, now rest in peace.

cnjbond
January 22nd, 2012, 4:58 PM
I agree with Ludwig on this one. He may have been a heckuva coach and worthy of the Hall of Fame but there's no way in HELL you can overlook his role in this whole scandal. He's certainly not the only one to blame but he can't go blameless in this.

CenTexDave
January 22nd, 2012, 7:34 PM
He didn't have a role. He was not charged with any crime.

onetime
January 22nd, 2012, 11:08 PM
Joe Pa was completely disrespected. What a horrible way to end a Hall of Fame career. Should he/could he have done more regarding the sex allegations? I don't know, but to wipe his name from everything he earned throughout his career is unbelieveable.
There are felons playing in the NFL, POTUS who had sex with an inturn, and Joe PA gets singled out. It's amazing how sex overcomes all other felony crimes.

Nah, all situations are wrong, Paterno got and will get what he deserves. You do not forgive the Nazi general who may have been a great citizen and done great things for young germans and give him a pass for not speaking up about innocent Jews being killed. I can not see how people even consider giving this guy a pass, do you realize they knew about Sandusky in 1998? How is he still allowed to work on the campus at that point, then caught again in 2001, yet he is still allowed to work on the campus, what a crock their is something more to the story I bet. Lastly, you have players in the NFL that commit murder because they were penalized, did their time and there is a high demand for them. They have been trying to run JoPa out of that place for over a decade and they jumped at the chance. Besides it is not what he did but what he overlooked on his watch, can you imagine how the decisions he did not make have impacted the lives of the people Sandusky came into contact with? Also can you imagine how different your thinking would be if it was your son. Why are we mentioning other peoples crimes too?

onetime
January 22nd, 2012, 11:11 PM
He didn't have a role. He was not charged with any crime.

JoPa was the king of the castle their, if he wanted Sandusky out of there it would have been easy

Chief
January 23rd, 2012, 12:23 AM
Quote from onetime - "Why are we mentioning other peoples crimes too?"

Are you seriously comparing Joe to Nazi's? You're free to you opinion, but I certainly don't agree as did several thousand who came to the candlelight vigil. I don't have all the facts as I am sure you don't; however, as they say in the Army a career of attaboys can be wiped out by one aws#@t. I think Joe deserved better. We can agree to disagree.

onetime
January 23rd, 2012, 6:34 AM
No I am not comparing him to Hitler, but he is that guy who probably could have saved thousands by speaking up in the german army. Maybe it was that he was so old he did not understand the gravity of the situation, who knows.

CenTexDave
January 23rd, 2012, 6:48 AM
The man reported it to his superiors. While it obviously was not followed up, he did all he was required to do.

TheOldProgrammer
January 23rd, 2012, 6:59 AM
The man reported it to his superiors. While it obviously was not followed up, he did all he was required to do.

And there Dave is the fact that many fail to remember...

:smoke

Night Owl
January 23rd, 2012, 7:22 AM
But did he report it to law enforcement. That was his moral obligation. If he didn't do that, he was wrong. No one, even Paterno, can explain that away to my satisfaction.

Chief
January 23rd, 2012, 8:20 AM
...and we crtainly want you satisfied.

Diz
January 23rd, 2012, 10:38 AM
Just because he did the bare minimum he was "required" to do makes him no less responsible for what happened. There were several people hurt after that incident that had he spoke up to authorities could maybe have been spared.
I think it is disgusting that people are willing to let him pass because "he did all he had to do."
I wonder if any of these people personally know someone who has been the victim of a rape or sexual assault. Their life is changed forever because he had no moral code to speak of.

Since when did football & someone's ability to coach become more important than our kids? I can assure you if my child had been raped or molested I would be outraged to find out people knew about it & only did the bare minimum they had to do rather than do everything in their power to help my child.

dawglover
January 23rd, 2012, 3:50 PM
May he RIP. Sad he had to go out this way. He was such a great coach.

CenTexDave
January 23rd, 2012, 7:09 PM
Diz: According to your way of thinking everyone - Churchill, Roosevelt, Stalin, etc - were then responsible for the Holocaust. They knew about but did little to stop it.

onetime
January 23rd, 2012, 7:32 PM

C'mon, it joe paterno, not some first year no name coach. I think he could have done more, as he said. I understand the whole chain of command but that has to go elsewhere seeing as JoPa really had no superiors at the time.