PDA

View Full Version : ESPN reports RGIII to enter NFL

ItsMe
January 10th, 2012, 8:20 PM
http://www.kdhnews.com/news/story.aspx?s=63484

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2012/story/_/id/7447477/2012-nfl-draft-qb-robert-griffin-iii-telling-baylor-bears-going-pro

Since I'm not really into College football...? for those who are? Why do the guys do this when they make it big in college? Is it so they come out on top when they are on the top of the news? Why can't they wait the one more year and finish their degrees? Is it because he will be the highest draft picks because he won the Heisman? I HATE watching that damn show. Just start football already! I barely watch that!

sojourner truth
January 10th, 2012, 8:49 PM
RGIII finished his degree work last year, with honors. He could have declared for the NFL a long time ago. He wants to finish his masters, but if he goes pro it may have to wait. Unless he does it on line. Not only has he already finished college in 3 years, but did so with one of the highest GPA's in the school.

ItsMe
January 10th, 2012, 9:04 PM
RGIII finished his degree work last year, with honors. He could have declared for the NFL a long time ago. He wants to finish his masters, but if he goes pro it may have to wait. Unless he does it on line. Not only has he already finished college in 3 years, but did so with one of the highest GPA's in the school.

OK thanks. So that's good. No issue for him then. He has what he needs to fall back on. I guess I think about people like Lebron James. OK now it won't be an issue, he's rich. But...straight out of high school, he took a chance, and it paid off. There was another basketball player that I think took the same chance, but went to play overseas straight out of high school and it didn't pay off for him.

So, to be considered for the Heisman, is that a stipulation...grades? Or is it just based on your skills on the football field? If they all could make that choice to leave school early for the NFL, I guess I wouldn't have an issue with it as long as their degree is finished, I would just hate to see them so close to finishing and not go all the way.

CenTexDave
January 10th, 2012, 9:04 PM
He graduated with a degree in Political Science in Dec, 2010. He graduated from high school early also.
He is eligible for one more year of college ball because he was injured during the third game of his soph season and sat the rest of the season out.
He is 12 SH from his masters degree. He's a lock to be a top 10 draft pick. You can't make millions of dollars a year sitting at Baylor.
He'll finish his masters and go on to law school.

ItsMe
January 10th, 2012, 10:02 PM
He graduated with a degree in Political Science in Dec, 2010. He graduated from high school early also.
He is eligible for one more year of college ball because he was injured during the third game of his soph season and sat the rest of the season out.
He is 12 SH from his masters degree. He's a lock to be a top 10 draft pick. You can't make millions of dollars a year sitting at Baylor.
He'll finish his masters and go on to law school.
Thanks for breaking it down! And I hear ya on that one!!!! Makes perfectly clear sense to me!

sojourner truth
January 11th, 2012, 10:19 AM
My understanding is that he and his parents have had many discussions about finishing his masters and law degree because they all realize is that all it takes is one injury to end a brilliant career. Most NFL players are considered over the hill by age 30. Be nice to make a bazillion dollars in the NFL, but RGIII isn' the kind of guy who would be happy sitting around the mansion all day counting his money. He could probably make a killing as a college football commentator on ESPN. He is very intelligent, and has great mastery of English and grammar. A lot more so than a lot of the former jocks you see on TV now that have a problem with any word that has more than 4 letters in it. Not you typical lump of meat who can run a football.

cnjbond
January 11th, 2012, 10:36 AM
OK thanks. So that's good. No issue for him then. He has what he needs to fall back on. I guess I think about people like Lebron James. OK now it won't be an issue, he's rich. But...straight out of high school, he took a chance, and it paid off. There was another basketball player that I think took the same chance, but went to play overseas straight out of high school and it didn't pay off for him.

So, to be considered for the Heisman, is that a stipulation...grades? Or is it just based on your skills on the football field? If they all could make that choice to leave school early for the NFL, I guess I wouldn't have an issue with it as long as their degree is finished, I would just hate to see them so close to finishing and not go all the way.
Grades are definitely not a requirement for the Heisman! It's all about on-field performance.

CenTexDave
January 11th, 2012, 10:50 AM
Still nothing officially "official" from him, but I think he's going to declare for the draft.
About the only thing he hasn't accomplished at Baylor is win a Big 12 Championship and a national championship.
With the defense Baylor has that will never happen. His three main offensive cohorts (Ganaway, Wright and Salubi) are also graduating. He'd have all new players on the offense next year. Doubt they would score like they did this year.
He can probably finish 6 SH towards his masters this semester before all these mini training camps open. Knowing him he'll have his masters within one year.

xzochye
January 11th, 2012, 10:53 AM
What is the process in the NFL draft? I have heard that he is supposed to graduate with his masters in May. Will the draft prevent that?

CenTexDave
January 11th, 2012, 12:37 PM
It will only prevent him from graduating because there's no way he could finish his 12 SH this semester. Once drafted in April the NFL teams will start having all sorts of mini-camps for drafted players, free agents, etc.
ESPN is reporting this, but still no official announcement.
KWTX is reporting, however, a news conference by RGIII and Head Coach Art Briles has been scheduled for this afternoon. This is the moment everyone has been waiting for.
Robert will soon be the richest guy in Cove, outstripping another former Coveite who plays in the NFL - Charles "Peanut Tillman".

Night Owl
January 11th, 2012, 12:48 PM
He is currently rated as the #6 talent in the draft and #2 at quarterback behind Luck. I don't know how he is rated behind Luck but that is what the experts say.

He may become a Redskin.:(

CenTexDave
January 11th, 2012, 1:33 PM
Most teams still want the prototype drop-back QB.
But I saw on ESPN a few nights ago where many of these analysts think Griffin is the better QB, and more and more teams are gonna start using the kind of offense he can direct. He's a take-off on Michael Vick, although I think he's a better passer and faster.
He would just add another weapon to a backfield.

CenTexDave
January 11th, 2012, 1:42 PM
News conference at 3PM. I imagine ESPN will cover it.

CenTexDave
January 11th, 2012, 3:04 PM
It's on KWTX, channel 25

CenTexDave
January 11th, 2012, 3:09 PM
Finally official - RGIII declares for the draft, but what a humble young man as he spoke of his love for his teammates, his coach, his school.

CenTexDave
January 11th, 2012, 3:35 PM
I just sent a text to my daughter who is in Austin today telling her the press conference was on and RG3 committed to the draft. She texts back that she talked to him last night and he told her was committing to the draft. lol

Chief
January 11th, 2012, 3:42 PM
I believe RGIII will go before Luck. I've seen both play and if I had first round pick I would go with RGIII. He can pass, run, read the defense, good leader on and off the field. I would hate to see him go to the Colts.

CenTexDave
January 11th, 2012, 3:52 PM
I think the Colts have pretty much decided on Andrew Luck. They want a typical drop back passer. And Luck is the best of those.
St Louis picks second. They have Sam Bradford, 2009 Heisman winner who had one helluva good rookie season, but fell off last year. St. Louis needs a lot more than just a good QB.
Minnesota picks third. Here again, they selected their supposed "QB of the future" last year in the draft in Christian Ponder. He played good at times.
Number four is Cleveland. Do they really believe Colt McCoy is the answer??????? I think the Browns take RGIII. If they pass on him I'll be totally convinced, as most of those in Ohio area, that the owner of this once proud franchise doesn't give a rat's butt about them. They need more than Griffin though - their OL sucks except for Joe Thomas at LT, and they need some good receivers.
If Cleveland passes then comes Tampa Bay followed by the Redskins.
RGIII will be gone before Jacksonville has the 7th pick.

Chief
January 11th, 2012, 4:10 PM
You may well be right about the Colts; however, I think RGIII will really impress during the combine and I think he's the better of the two but doesn't fit the image for the Colts. That's fine with me he doesn't need the Colts.
I think Colt McCoy got screwed. As you said the OL is terrible and Colt took a hell of a beating because no one blocked for him. Tough rookie year. Whoever gets RGIII is getting a great QB and a class act.

CenTexDave
January 11th, 2012, 6:09 PM
Also consider that the Rams have the second pick. They are set with Bradford at QB. Trade down?? They need lots of help. Could probably get a later first round pick, a second rounder and more for next year. That is how you build a team. Ask Jimmy Johnson.