PDA

View Full Version : Deep Tissue Massage

christy1969
January 7th, 2012, 11:20 AM
Have you ever had a deep tissue massage?! If so I would like to hear about your expierence! (likes, dislikes, why you thought you needed a deep tissue massage, etc)

FieryPrincess
January 8th, 2012, 12:41 PM
I have chronic myofascial pain syndrome. I see a massage therapist to be unkinked every 3-4 weeks. She is wonderful. I maintain that I would not be mobile or function without her. She accomplished in one session what three months of physical therapy 3X a week couldn't do.

Once I went in with an neck kink and saw a different person. He dug in so deeply that I felt bruised and was almost unable to move my neck for a couple of days. I think that deep-tissue and trigger point work is more of an art form that most therapists realize.

moore254
January 9th, 2012, 1:16 PM
I LOVE deep tissues. I will never go back to a regular massage!! It hurts while they're doing it, but after I feel so extremely relaxed - more than normal!

christy1969
January 14th, 2012, 12:03 PM
I think that deep-tissue and trigger point work is more of an art form that most therapists realize.

LOVE IT!

liessemsed
January 14th, 2012, 6:50 PM
I agree with moore254. I also will never go back to regular Swedish massages. I get massages to relax, but I want to feel like I've been worked on. I love that feeling when the therapist is working on muscles that are sore or tense and it's that good hurt. I carry all my tension in my neck and shoulders and I come out of my monthly massages feeling like I have ten less pounds riding on my shoulders. I figure anyone can massage a back lightly - I want someone who's going to really work out the knots and kinks and still make it relaxing.

Just a word though - I have learned my lesson a number of times. I used to get deep tissue massages and get massive headaches afterwards. I learned my lesson that I have to drink a ton of water afterwards to flush out the toxins that were released during the massage. If I don't drink at least 2 bottles of water within 90 minutes after a massage, I get a headache. I think a lot of people just think the water offered at the end of a massage is just them being nice - but it's a necessity to enhance the massage experience.