PDA

View Full Version : Bed or Pillow Shredding

JoAnn Purser
December 27th, 2011, 4:46 PM
Yes it seems I have a dog that is moving, shredding, and destroying beds that are usually in the garage.

I don't know for sure which dog it is, as I have four. I found three beds in the yard yesterday and one in the yard early this morning shredded. (The innerds are out.)

I know they too may have not gotten what they wanted for Christmas, but I have not destroyed my husbands pillows and slung them into the yard. Hmmmm

Anyway, why do dogs all of a sudden do this? It seems the behavior comes and goes, but is not a regular behavior.

siamcat
December 27th, 2011, 6:32 PM
I know my dog loves to take the fluff out of stuffed animals. When we first got them they were not safe.
Now I buy him cheap stuffed animals and over the years he has learned he can only shred his toys.
He also loves to chew on wood, again he has his wood and leaves the furniture alone.
I have no clue as to why a dog would suddenly develop this habit, as mine always did that. We just had to train him so he leaves our stuff alone.
Good luck.

Night Owl
December 27th, 2011, 7:54 PM
You did something to him and he is getting even. I had a cocker spaniel that would go to the bookcase and only take my books out and destroy the. It only happened when I was in the field.

poundpup
December 28th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Usually shredding, chewing are signs of utter boredom. With puppies in the house, I am very familiar with that. We have kept our home pretty much shred and chew free by buying the dogs "stinkies" (cow hooves) and antlers ... wonderful play and chew toy, and doing a "class session" in the evenings to occupy their minds.
I buy the stinkies at Tractor SUpply or Petco/Petsmart and the antlers I order online. they are nearly indestructible, do not chip, and become chew, tug and toss toys.

xzochye
December 28th, 2011, 10:20 PM
You did something to him and he is getting even. I had a cocker spaniel that would go to the bookcase and only take my books out and destroy the. It only happened when I was in the field.

One of my monsters does the same thing! I had to move my bookcase into the spare room.

Night Owl
December 30th, 2011, 9:32 AM
So what did you do to piss your puppy off?:)

JoAnn Purser
December 30th, 2011, 1:37 PM
She is very tempermental. I think the Catahoulla breed has a little pit and she definitely wants full attention. Watching her behavior she walks circles around the older cur female (literally circles, like she is pacing) and always, always, always growls when the blue heeler female moves towards her general direction. Someone suggested spaying her as a remedy but we may want to breed her once so I am not ready to do this. As far as her behavior with the male dog, she is playful and loving but she also may not be able to whip him either. ;)

Days will go by with no destruction then surprise, a fiber fill mess.

poundpup
December 30th, 2011, 6:56 PM
JoAnn, if I may ask: why do you want to breed her? There are a lot of good dogs in all kinds of shelters. It is estimated that around 98,000 dogs are euthanized in the State of Texas alone every year. That is like 11 animals an hour - every hour of every day in Texas alone.

Personally, I do not see any reason not to fix a dog or cat - ever. There are so many puppy mills and back yard breeders that contribute to the many hundreds and thousands in shelters (some of which are torture chambers). We will not have a shortage of pets in shelters being killed, because there are no homes to adopt them readily.

JoAnn Purser
December 30th, 2011, 11:00 PM
She has beautiful colors and my friends want a puppy of hers. Just something they have mentioned. I have my hands full with four. Just didn't want to close that door permanently if there is another option.