PDA

View Full Version : Choking game

6pack
April 24th, 2009, 10:28 AM
This was sent to us at school: What is going on with kids these days....

"I know that many of you already may know about the rise in Youth Asphyxia Activities, namely “The Choking Game”. Here’s a list we compiled from the websites listed below of alternate names it is called:

“Choking Game” ~ “Pass Out Game” ~ “Fainting Game” ~ “Black Out” ~ “Space Monkey”~ “Space Cowboy” ~ “American Dream” ~ “Flat Liner”~ “Knock Out” ~ “Gasp” ~ “Rising Sun” ~ “Airplaining” ~ “Suffocation Roulette” ~ “Scarf Game” ~ “Something Dreaming Game” ~ “Purple Hazing” ~ “Dream Game” ~ “California Choke” ~ “Purple Dragon” ~ “Cloud Nine” ~ “Funky Chicken” ~ “The Tingling Game”

What Is it?
Basically, the kids are tying ties around their necks, choking themselves with their hands, tying bungee cords or any other form of cord or tie around bed posts or in closets and then around their neck to make themselves pass out. Scary thing is that many kids have died and/or had seizures due to this “game”. They do this for the thrill of feeling lightheaded (loss of oxygen) and the “rush” they feel afterwards (when all the blood starts gushing through their neck to their head again).

Even more scary is that there are websites and YouTube videos showing kids how to choke themselves and also the effects of the “game” in live motion.

The problem is that 75% of children ages 9-16 know how it's 'played' or have 'played' themselves (found on chokinggame.net) and 40% of the kids surveyed thought that the choking game was safe (reported on Today Show 4/24/09).

All of us would benefit from knowing more about this rising epidemic that is claiming the lives of children. There was just a special interview on the Today Show today (4/24/09) that spotlighted a family that lost their son March 30th of this year. You can watch the video of the interview/segment on the Today Show at http://today.msnbc.msn.com/

I included some of the stats below or you can view all of the stats and more info about the “game” and its dangers, stats, victims, etc. at this website: www.chokinggame.net

www.leesummit.k12.mo.us

www.cdc.gov/features/chokinggame

If you want printables about tips for parents, dangers, warnings, etc go to this site: www.telecomassociation.com/pubs/chokinggamereport/index.html

Many states had a 4x increase in reported Choking Game deaths
since the 2006 reporting

In 2006, Texas reported 4 fatal Choking Game cases. By the end of
2008, they had reported 23.

1 out of every 2 states in the U.S. has reported death or injury

California has the highest number of reported deaths or injuries from
Youth Asphyxia Activity followed closely by Florida and Washington.

90% of U.S. victims are male."

Night Owl
April 24th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Tragic, but things like this has been going on for decades. This is just the latest craze.

CenTexDave
April 24th, 2009, 2:40 PM
I know:) of a few, and I'm sure Scarlett and the other teachers do also, that they would like to choke!

Scarlett
April 24th, 2009, 4:10 PM
Heck, I just choke 'em and drag the bodies to the stairwell....

Night Owl
April 24th, 2009, 4:34 PM
My initial thought was human nature was cleaning up the gene pool.

christine
April 24th, 2009, 7:15 PM
What the hell is wrong with these kids!!!!! Holy s****! Why would anyone think that hurting yourself is fun?
I wonder what their parents would think…”gee honey, little Jimmy’s choked himself with my tie ain’t he cute”

CenTexDave
April 24th, 2009, 10:03 PM
More Darwin Award nominees.

Scarlett
April 25th, 2009, 8:40 AM
My initial thought was human nature was cleaning up the gene pool.

Darwin was onto something with his whole "survival of the fittest" thing....

THEMEANOGRE
April 25th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Such a pity that we have way too many laws to allow Darwin to prove his theories correct.

kryptickancer
April 26th, 2009, 2:20 PM
Thank you for posting this 6pack. I have a six year old daughter and I have just explained the dangers of such games. Thanks again!

FieryPrincess
April 26th, 2009, 10:21 PM
I watched two kids try this in a room where I was subbing almost 15 years ago.

My initial comment to the chokee was "Are you stupid? Why try to kill what few brain cells you have left?"

I asked the choker "So when you screw this up and kill your friend, are you prepared to make friends in prison?"

and then I referred it over to the counselor's office.

6pack
April 27th, 2009, 9:27 AM
Thank you for posting this 6pack. I have a six year old daughter and I have just explained the dangers of such games. Thanks again!

No problem!