PDA

View Full Version : State Finals

Iteachtoo
December 10th, 2011, 10:41 AM
Just in case you didn't know, 4A Division I has come down to Lake Travis and Midway for the State Championship. Wonder just how bad Midway will get beat.:)

CenTexDave
December 10th, 2011, 11:24 AM
Midway scored 50+ points in the semis. They'll score, but can they stop Lake Travis?

Night Owl
December 11th, 2011, 12:54 AM
No

CenTexDave
December 11th, 2011, 6:37 AM
Up in 5-A Southlake Carroll beat Dallas Skyline yesterday for a trip to the finals against Fort Bend Hightower.
SLC, as you may recall, has won so many State Championships in 4-A and 5-A that their trophy case is probably overflowing.
They were also the team Cove played in the first game this season and almost defeated. Had a 28-17 lead going into the 4th quarter and SLC mounted a big comeback and won.

dawglover
December 11th, 2011, 1:08 PM
Just in case you didn't know, 4A Division I has come down to Lake Travis and Midway for the State Championship. Wonder just how bad Midway will get beat.:)

Neither are local teams so I don't care. May the best team win. I'll leave it at that.

xzochye
December 11th, 2011, 1:18 PM
Lake Travis has a pretty awesome team.

JohnKilleen
December 11th, 2011, 6:28 PM
LT is going for a record 5 in a row, but Midway might just be the team that can stop them. They have been impressive with their wins in the playoffs. If i am not mistaken, they did reach thr semis a few years ago, so their program has really become strong. Going to be an interesting 2 years if they join our 5a district.

DiamondKing
December 16th, 2011, 9:38 AM
Midway is going to be good for years to come.

CenTexDave
December 16th, 2011, 2:37 PM
Yes they sure will. They have gotten lots of Waco's inner-city kids going there now.
They may dethrone Cove.

Night Owl
December 16th, 2011, 4:02 PM
It will happen some day by some team. If not Midway, then someone else.

CenTexDave
December 16th, 2011, 5:37 PM
Won't be Shoemaker or Ellison. :))

Night Owl
December 16th, 2011, 9:55 PM
Not for a LONGGGGGG time!!!!:)

onetime
December 16th, 2011, 10:24 PM
Yes they sure will. They have gotten lots of Waco's inner-city kids going there now.
They may dethrone Cove.

Misspoke, they have most if not all of the middle class folk that do not want to live in Waco, instead of attending Robinson, they go to Midway. They may occasionally get a really good inner city kid, but most of their team is suburb kids.

JohnKilleen
December 17th, 2011, 12:47 AM
Closer than many thought but LT made it a record 5 in a row, i believe it was 22-7. Congrats to both teams and I look forward for my Roos playing Midway in our new district

CenTexDave
December 17th, 2011, 12:36 PM
I guess they can play defense at Lake Travis. That's 5 championships in a row - remarkable.
Aledo goes after another one today - should already be started up at Cowboy Stadium. That would be a game I'd pay $100 to go watch - LT and Aledo.

Iteachtoo
December 17th, 2011, 12:54 PM
That is what they should do, have the division 1 winner play the division 2 winner for a real state champion.

CenTexDave
December 17th, 2011, 1:52 PM
Exactly. Having two divisions makes it interesting, but can water down the 3-A and down divisions.
I can see it at 5-A - some of those schools have 6000 kids and a few under 2000.
Look for Aledo to win today. They have a RB that is USA and Gatorade Player of the Year.
Also, think Southlake Carroll will add to its trophy case in 5-A, Div 1, and Cibolo Steele will win Div 2.

CenTexDave
December 17th, 2011, 7:07 PM
Aledo put up 49 points on Manvel and won their third in a row.
SLC is leading Fort Bend Hightower in the 4th quarter.
5-A Div II starts at 8pm - Spring Dekaney and Cibolo Steele. Steele won it last year.

CenTexDave
December 18th, 2011, 5:13 AM
Wow, Spring Dekaney beats Cibolo Steele for the 5-AII title. That school is only 6 years old!!

RooDawg
December 19th, 2011, 9:05 AM
Aledo has some Killeen ties as the head coach once coached at Killeen and their offensive line coach, Doug Wheeler, coached at Harker Heights....and Spring Dekaney has Charles West as its offensive coordinator and he was a state champion receiver here at Killeen...congrats to all of them...

CenTexDave
December 19th, 2011, 9:27 AM
We in Cove remember Killeen's ties to Aledo. Their coach said gave Aledo a pep talk that included "when I was at Killeen it was unacceptable to lose to Copperas Cove". Cove promptly blew them out of the stadium during the 4-A semis.
Next year was closer but Cove still took care of business. :))

RooDawg
December 20th, 2011, 8:33 AM
We in Cove remember Killeen's ties to Aledo. Their coach said gave Aledo a pep talk that included "when I was at Killeen it was unacceptable to lose to Copperas Cove". Cove promptly blew them out of the stadium during the 4-A semis.
Next year was closer but Cove still took care of business. :))

Now that is funny...

jimbob
December 26th, 2011, 3:09 PM
Now that is funny...
RooDawg, don't you think that now with Killeen going into the same district (after re-alignment) with Cove, that Cove will no longer be a power or threat? Cove lost all those offensive weapons and Killeen is loaded. Cove will have a hard time competing but I think those Cove coaches might put together a good squad. The only thing is HH is loaded, Killeen and Midway are loaded and Temple and Belton are powers for the district. Cove might not make the playoffs.

CenTexDave
December 26th, 2011, 3:52 PM
Here we go again.
Cove's JV won district - again, just as it has for the past umpteen years.
Yes, they lost Orlando Thomas, Brandon Hamilton and Johnny Sirmans from the offense.
But in case you didn't notice, they have a RB who came off the bench and lit it up also. He was a soph.
Cove will be a force in district. Jack Welch gets the most out of what he is dealt, and it usually is at least a winning hand.

CenTexDave
December 26th, 2011, 3:54 PM
JimBob - you remind of some guy who used to be on SuperCenTex.com bashing Cove all the time. If I remember he called himself CoveBob, and he lived in Cove but continually bashed the Dawgs - they're no good, they can't win, etc. That was during their first trip to the state championship game in 2006. Each and every week we would hear his doom and gloom prediction. Aledo was gonna kill the Dawgs in the semis. After that Dawg blowout he never appeared on that website again.
Matter of fact, you are probably the same dude.:))

RooDawg
December 27th, 2011, 7:18 AM
RooDawg, don't you think that now with Killeen going into the same district (after re-alignment) with Cove, that Cove will no longer be a power or threat? Cove lost all those offensive weapons and Killeen is loaded. Cove will have a hard time competing but I think those Cove coaches might put together a good squad. The only thing is HH is loaded, Killeen and Midway are loaded and Temple and Belton are powers for the district. Cove might not make the playoffs.

Cove will be good each and every year for a while...they are in a football program...they are in a community that cares. Did you read the article a couple of weeks ago that listed the athletic budgets of each school district in the area. Cove's athletic budget for the last two years has been almost $2.5 million while KISD was at $2.06 million last school year and $1.8 million this year...Cove is spending $2.5 on athletics for 1 high school and 2 middle schools and KISD is spending $1.8 million on 4 high schools and 11 middles schools...you do the math...

The cove community cares about athletics, the cove school board cares about athletics and that is the beginning of an athletic program...they already are ahead of us...they will continue to get more student/athletes moving into the area because of that and that will continue to make their football PROGRAMS better than ours...

trust me...as much as it hurts me to say this...cove will continue to be a strong contender in the district race for several years to come...no doubt about that in my mind...

onetime
December 27th, 2011, 8:53 AM
Cove
Midway
Belton
Temple
Killeen
SHOe
Heights
EHS

I am going to call it now, KISD will have less then 7 total teams (not including tennis, wrestling, track, swimming, and golf) that will make the playoffs next year. None of the football teams will make it, 2 boys basketball teams, 1 girls basketball, 1 baseball team, 1 softball team, none of the volleyball teams, 1 soccer team, 1 girls soccer team.

Killeen High school has had more then 7 teams in the playoffs alone in recent years, football, boys & girls basketball, volleyball, boys & girls soccer. Well at least 6 lol.

jimbob
December 27th, 2011, 9:07 AM
JimBob - you remind of some guy who used to be on SuperCenTex.com bashing Cove all the time. If I remember he called himself CoveBob, and he lived in Cove but continually bashed the Dawgs - they're no good, they can't win, etc. That was during their first trip to the state championship game in 2006. Each and every week we would hear his doom and gloom prediction. Aledo was gonna kill the Dawgs in the semis. After that Dawg blowout he never appeared on that website again.
Matter of fact, you are probably the same dude.:))
You make sense. I was just wandering. Cove is producing some mighty fine athletes.:thumbsup

JohnKilleen
December 27th, 2011, 9:51 PM
Cove will still be a contender in district and should make the playoffs, but Midway is going to be a big force to deal with. I believe Temple is on the rebound finally and they make take top dog in the district. Dont count out KHS or Heights for the 4th place spot.

gnatsum
December 27th, 2011, 10:46 PM
Somthing I haven't done yet, but wonder if anyone else here has: gone back to look at the predictions here on CTT on old threads, about how the high schools would do in football. I forgot if I made a prediction if there was one.
Did everyone think that Cove would do so well?

RooDawg
December 27th, 2011, 11:18 PM
I know I didn't think cove would do as well as they did...i think the coaches and the players did an exceptional job in winning the district...

onetime
December 27th, 2011, 11:24 PM
I know I didn't think cove would do as well as they did...i think the coaches and the players did an exceptional job in winning the district...

Minus Consol, the district this year was ridiculously weak. KISD schools do not count, but not only that but Cove likely does not even respect them as a prep. The starters play a quarter maybe a half and they are done. Its similar to Alambama scheduling Texas State, keeping the game plan really simple. Temple and Belton are rebuilding and will be good in years to come, and Bryan seems to be visibly struggling with the addition of the new school. Did I leave anyone out?

CenTexDave
December 28th, 2011, 7:17 AM
It was a weak district, and has been for a few years.
The old 13-5A used to be a powerhouse. Ever since Waco went down to 4-A and Cove went down for two years the district just got weak.
Midway, if they actually do end up in 5-A and join this district, will help beef it up. Same with Killeen.

jimbob
December 28th, 2011, 9:22 AM
It was a weak district, and has been for a few years.
The old 13-5A used to be a powerhouse. Ever since Waco went down to 4-A and Cove went down for two years the district just got weak.
Midway, if they actually do end up in 5-A and join this district, will help beef it up. Same with Killeen.
What makes a district so weak? All the teams in the district have to compete. To win a district is something special. The teams in the same district know the strengths and weaknesses of each team and know how to attack them. To win games is special. Each team ( school district) does not have a choice of the district they are assigned to. Kuddo's to the victories each team gets. Outside of district, again you do not get to choose the team to play in order. The toughest team might play your team in the first, second, etc round, so for news media to attack schools on one and done and crude like that is ridiculous. Its a game. The teams and coaches that I have seen in this district to a great job of educating youngsters. Give as much money as you can because it is education! :)

CenTexDave
December 28th, 2011, 11:12 AM
What makes the district so weak is the quality of the teams in it.
Check pre-district games that are played and the results. Even A&M was not the powerhouse this past season they usually are. Everyone else, with the exception of Cove,Heights, Bryan and Belton, got blasted pretty well in the pre-district games. But then once into district play Heights and Bryan got beaten regularly. Schedule some tough pre-district games. Heights and Bryan played cream-puffs.
I hear you about you can't control the playoff opponents. Some very good teams went down early in the playoffs - Allen, Lufkin to name a few.

onetime
December 28th, 2011, 12:07 PM
No one is bagging on Cove, simply saying that bragging about winning the district only to ousted in the second round is a bit of a let down. It is akin to the University of Houston bragging about winning the Conference USA season record only to lose to Southern Miss in the Championship game.

CenTexDave
December 28th, 2011, 12:37 PM
I hear ya. Region II was full of surprises this year. DeSoto went down in Div 1, then Skyline who was ranked #1 in the state went down to eventual state champ Southlake Carroll. In Div II Lufkin made a quick exit, and Longview went out shortly thereafter. Nobody had any idea that Spring Dekaney would win the whole enchilada in Div II.

Brad Buckley, D.V.M.
December 29th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Aledo won their 4th championship under Killeen native, Tim Buchanan. Very impressive.

CenTexDave
December 29th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Aledo has been very impressive since 2006. They had a monster of a RB this year in Jonathon Gray. He was the main reason they won their 4th consecutive championship - he did it all as a freshman for them too.