PDA

View Full Version : Welch Leaving Cove?

cnjbond
December 6th, 2011, 6:25 PM
Just heard on KWTX News that Jack Welch is one of the finalist for a small college in New Mexico.

CenTexDave
December 6th, 2011, 6:33 PM
I hadn't heard a thing.
Many years ago he was hired as the coach at, I think it was, West Texas A&M, and he had the whole family packed up and they were driving up there when he stopped, said it didn't feel right, called back to the superintendent and asked if he could come back.
I imagine he wants a new challenge, and figures even with the real good teams he has had here, he'll never win a state championship.

cnjbond
December 6th, 2011, 6:46 PM
Here's a link to the story out of the Statesman:

Copperas Cove’s Welch a finalist for college coaching job (http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/varsitynews/entries/2011/12/06/the_central_tex_3.html)

CenTexDave
December 6th, 2011, 7:27 PM
He'd be very hard to replace, but if he leaves and the new coach comes in it would definitely be to his advantage to keep the system Welch implemented all the way down to the elementary schools and city park leagues.

CenTexDave
December 6th, 2011, 9:38 PM
https://callipygos.pheaa.org/portal/student/student_portal.cfm?mentor=yes

Rick
December 6th, 2011, 10:36 PM
The link doesn't work.

CenTexDave
December 7th, 2011, 6:14 AM
It sure doesn't work. Sorry
In this morning's KDH he states he wants to stay in Cove. If that is the case, why did he apply for the job and agree to drive there for an interview. Kind of sounds like Urban Meyer - "no, I've had no contact with Ohio State", then a few days later is their head coach. :))

beaver
December 7th, 2011, 7:45 AM
..... or he is making a play to get Cove to up his salary again.

sojourner truth
December 7th, 2011, 8:46 AM
You mean he may be doin' a "David Blackburn"? Say it ain't so. Them's some mighty big shoes to fill.

cnjbond
December 7th, 2011, 9:36 AM
Or maybe he's greasing the skids just in case he isn't selected to save face with the school and the team. It's almost like the cheating spouse who "decides" they want to stay married after their "lover" kicks them to the curb..."Baby you know I loved you more and it wouldn't have worked out anyways."

kjpool
December 7th, 2011, 1:54 PM
..... or he is making a play to get Cove to up his salary again.

If this is the case shame on him for doing this at a time when Cove is cutting teachers/staff... and shame on Cove if they fall for it...it's not like he's not well compensated as it is, but how about picking a time when teachers/librarians/techs are not losing their jobs to SAVE money...wonder what he'd make in New Mexico? My guess is not even close to what he's making at Cove...didn't someone post the area salaries somewhere? Any one have that link still?

CenTexDave
December 7th, 2011, 2:45 PM
A few years ago he was among the top 5 in the state in salary. I imagine he's not near that anymore.
I doubt if that is Jack Welch's objective, but if he wants to stay here so bad like he says, then why even interview?

Night Owl
December 7th, 2011, 4:27 PM
He is getting tired of making it to the dance and then getting the frog.

CenTexDave
December 7th, 2011, 4:56 PM
As far as I'm concerned, he can blame his brother for not winning one state championship. Totally inept offensive play calling in 2007 against Rosenberg Lamar Consolidated.

CenTexDave
December 7th, 2011, 8:39 PM
Where he should be this weekend, instead of driving to New Mexico to interview for this job, is in NYC watching his former star QB win the Heisman!!!!!!!!!

Night Owl
December 8th, 2011, 6:54 AM
Exactly!!!!

Rick
December 8th, 2011, 7:44 AM
I'm sure seats are very limited. Maybe he wasn't invited. Who wouldn't go to that if they were invited.

Hell, the news chick on KWTX is going. Note, I said news and not SPORTS.

jimbob
December 8th, 2011, 8:10 AM
Make sure all of you attend the "Robert Griffin" day that Coach Welch and his staff are putting together next week at Bulldawg Stadium. All the details should be out next week.:)

CenTexDave
December 8th, 2011, 8:15 AM
I'll be there. The entire town should turn out.

cnjbond
December 8th, 2011, 8:24 AM
I'll be there. The entire town should turn out.
Including Killeen and HH residents...how often do you have someone local get this type of recognition, regardless if he wins the Heisman or not?