PDA

View Full Version : Along came a spider and........

Brad Buckley, D.V.M.
November 16th, 2011, 4:47 PM

This has little to do with anything but for those of you wondering if a black widow really has a red "hour glass" on their bottom side then here you go.

Night Owl
November 16th, 2011, 4:59 PM
Excellent picture and information.

xzochye
November 16th, 2011, 5:26 PM
EWE!

YUCK and DOUBLE YUCK!!!

Night Owl
November 16th, 2011, 5:35 PM
We now know for sure that the other spider was not a black widow.

stormy
November 16th, 2011, 6:22 PM
YEOW!!!!! Where was that one found???

Iteachtoo
November 16th, 2011, 6:39 PM
Yuck, just yuck!!!!!!!!!

Brad Buckley, D.V.M.
November 16th, 2011, 6:56 PM
We found this spider when cleaning behind our dryer at the clinic.

No animals were harmed during the making of this posting......except for the spider!

christine
November 16th, 2011, 6:59 PM
Yep they sure do. But I also think there's another spider who mimics the look of a black widow.

circle_c
November 16th, 2011, 7:32 PM
I came across this on Nat. Geo.

http://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/player/animals/bugs-animals/spiders-and-scorpions/black-widow-spider-predation.html

circle_c
November 16th, 2011, 7:39 PM
I think this is what Christine was referring to..

http://ento.psu.edu/extension/factsheets/false-black-widow

Mestral
November 17th, 2011, 9:20 AM
I think this is what Christine was referring to..

http://ento.psu.edu/extension/factsheets/false-black-widow
There is another one, even more common, around here that people confuse. The Regal Jumping Spider is a bit fuzzy and has a red spot on its back. As the Widow hangs upside down and this one stands on its legs, I assume God gave it the spot to fool birds into thinking it is a widow and bypassing it. Works on some of my coworkers too, as certain of them usually give it a wide berth.

Ludwig
November 17th, 2011, 9:41 AM
The Regal Jumping spider is a fairly common spider in Central Texas. The first impression of this moderately large, black, hairy spider; to the uninformed, leads to the conviction that the spider is a black widow. The black widow, however, is a globular, shiny black spider with long, spindly legs that is not noticeably hairy at all. Jumping spiders are harmless, beneficial creatures. The larger ones are capable of delivering a painful bite, but will do so only if held tightly. The bite itself causes a sharp stinging sensation which subsides in a few minutes and requires no treatment. These spiders are easily tamed and can be induced to jump back and forth from hand to hand.2029

dawglover
November 18th, 2011, 4:38 PM
These spiders are easily tamed and can be induced to jump back and forth from hand to hand.2029

That doesn't work with scorpions. Having been stung by bees, hornets and scorpions, the worst was my last scorpion bite, sting, or whatever you call it that happened about 6 - 7 weeks ago. Oh man! That really smarted. Ouch!!!!

Ludwig
November 18th, 2011, 10:34 PM
In the good old days we used to cut the tops off the corn stalks bundle them and lay them in the windrows to dry. When they were dry we came and picked them up and loaded them in a wagon. While they were drying, many a scorpion decided to make his home under that bundle. So, when you reach down with your bare hand to pick up the bundle, quite often youd get zapped by one of those critters. Each of us working the windrows carried a coffee can full of kerosene on our belt and when we got zapped wed put the injured hand down into the kerosene. I'm no chemist and I don't know how that works but I sure know it works. When the hand hit the kerosene... instant relief. It was not uncommon to get zapped 8-10 times in a days work. Damn, that's a long story just to tell you that kerosene will (apparently) draw the scorpion poison out.

Night Owl
November 18th, 2011, 10:48 PM
Might have just been the smell overpowering the hurt.:)

Ludwig
November 18th, 2011, 11:36 PM
Might have just been the smell overpowering the hurt.:)

Yea, after a couple of hours in the field I generally did smell a little rank. :) :)

dawglover
November 19th, 2011, 2:26 PM
In the good old days we used to cut the tops off the corn stalks bundle them and lay them in the windrows to dry. When they were dry we came and picked them up and loaded them in a wagon. While they were drying, many a scorpion decided to make his home under that bundle. So, when you reach down with your bare hand to pick up the bundle, quite often youd get zapped by one of those critters. Each of us working the windrows carried a coffee can full of kerosene on our belt and when we got zapped wed put the injured hand down into the kerosene. I'm no chemist and I don't know how that works but I sure know it works. When the hand hit the kerosene... instant relief. It was not uncommon to get zapped 8-10 times in a days work. Damn, that's a long story just to tell you that kerosene will (apparently) draw the scorpion poison out.

Well I got zapped by my last scorpion in a night attack. Oh I get it. Use a lighter so you can find the can of kerosene. Thanks for the advice. Things are going to heat up for those scorpions from now on thanks to you Ludwig.:)