PDA

View Full Version : What qualities do you look for when searching for a massage therapist/salon?

christy1969
October 29th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Hello! I am a licensed massage therapist looking to get some new views on various topics that involve massage therapy! I would like your honest word and will not be offended by any response! So here is my first question:

What qualities do you look for when searching for a massage therapist/salon? From looks to prices and anywhere in between, please be descriptive in your answers! Thanks

FieryPrincess
October 29th, 2011, 1:13 PM
I cannot exist pain-free without regular massage therapy because of a medical condition.

I look for hours (nights/weekends) that don't conflict with work. I look for a fair price for the work done. I require clinical trigger point work and lots of therapists in the past have left me feeling bruised for a few days afterwards. What has to be done for me isn't always pleasant, but my current therapist gets the job done very well and I don't feel bruised and sore the next day.

If I am in just for relaxation purposes, then I probably won't be very chatty. Don't take it personally.

Currently I go through one of those little chain-style places (because I found an awesome therapist there) and because the price is so low, I tip extra.

THEMEANOGRE
October 29th, 2011, 1:36 PM
I look at price, house calls. I appreciate a therapist with beefy elbows. Also, someone who knows how to work deeeep without wearing out their hands.

Scarlett
October 29th, 2011, 9:48 PM
Beefy elbows? Ewww....

Night Owl
October 29th, 2011, 10:22 PM
I refuse to answer because I would get in BIG trouble.:)

My wife goes often and she does not like deep muscle massages. She enjoys soft music and lots of communication. She is a woman.:)

Scarlett
October 29th, 2011, 10:34 PM
I refuse to answer because it will come out all wrong and my reputation will be ruined. 8-;

xzochye
October 29th, 2011, 11:09 PM
I loved the 2 massages I have had. Wish I could afford it again :(

Rick
October 29th, 2011, 11:23 PM
I refuse to answer because it will come out all wrong and my reputation will be ruined. 8-;
LOL I think we already know. :)

Welcome Christy! Glad you joined. You can tell everyone where you work if you want, and I can say, no beefy elbows.

THEMEANOGRE
October 30th, 2011, 4:05 AM
Beefy elbows? Ewww....

I have had therapists need to use their elbows to get some of the knots in my back and skinny, sharp, pointy elbows don't feel very good.

Scarlett
October 30th, 2011, 8:12 AM
I loved the 2 massages I have had. Wish I could afford it again :(

You can. Go to massage school on Elms. Is only $35 for an hour and a half or $25 for an hour.

Scarlett
October 30th, 2011, 8:12 AM
I have had therapists need to use their elbows to get some of the knots in my back and skinny, sharp, pointy elbows don't feel very good.

That makes sense now!

Scarlett
October 30th, 2011, 8:20 AM
LOL I think we already know. :)

This is just one of those topics where the conversation, in writing, could be taken so wrong! Kinda needs the non-verbal clues in the mix.

For example:
(Start each phrase with "While getting a massage I like...")

1. Someone who goes deep and hard.
2. Someone who knows what they are doing.
3. Someone who asks me if it feels good.
4. Someone who knows my pressure points and how to trigger them.
5. Someone who doesn't tire out before the time is up.
6. Someone who, when finished, leaves me lying there not really sure if I should get up because I'm so relaxed I wanna just take a nap.

Now, change the beginning phrase and this topic could easily be read in a different kind of way! ;) Thus the fun I have teasing a friend of mine who is a current student of massage. I have a cousin who is a massage therapist as well....they can tell you some stories! Hahaha

Ludwig
October 30th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Sounds like what they look for in a San Francisco Bath House too. :)

christy1969
October 30th, 2011, 2:26 PM
Thanks for the Feedback! and Thanks for the greeting Rick! No i do not have beefy elbows but i can also be gentle if needed! **Fieryprincess: funny fact, i work mostly with men where I work now and they talk more than any female ever did on my table!!

JoAnn Purser
October 30th, 2011, 5:56 PM
A facility that does not have a lot of noise.

My pet peeve is doors slamming and being able to hear the conversation in the next room.

Everything Scarlett said too. ;)

liessemsed
October 30th, 2011, 7:50 PM
Having worked at a day spa, I became slightly addicted to massage. I look for a spa that isn't overly tacky and smells nice. One of the spas I went to locally stunk like cigarettes and nasty man cologne. I always get a deep tissue massage because I actually enjoy being sore afterwards. My biggest pet peeve during a deep tissue is therapists who do a lot of stretching. I had one therapist who had very little actual massage time but a lot of it was spent stretching my shoulders. I know that in some cases that's necessary or helpful, but I want to get the knots rubbed out - I can stretch on my own. I always appreciate a therapist who asks if you'd like to talk or if you want quiet. I'm a talker, and since I usually go to the same therapists we end up catching up.

August
November 3rd, 2011, 5:52 PM
Hello! I am a licensed massage therapist looking to get some new views on various topics that involve massage therapy! I would like your honest word and will not be offended by any response! So here is my first question:

What qualities do you look for when searching for a massage therapist/salon? From looks to prices and anywhere in between, please be descriptive in your answers! Thanks

First and foremost, it's the massage itself. I have certain places that hurt (upper back and neck) and I like those areas massaged intensely.

Other than that - a good, moderate temperate; a clean, cozy environment; and pleasant smells. And I like to feel pampered so I want someone to be nice to me and offer me water or herbal tea (:

Okay I really want a massage now LOL