PDA

View Full Version : I need advice please.

engteach64
October 17th, 2011, 6:09 PM
I have a dog who is 10 years old. Four years ago she became ill. She almost died. She has recently gotten ill again. I really love my dog, but I need to know when it is time to just let her go. Please don't comment flippantly because this is really hard for me.

Today I went to the vet and they said she is losing her white blood cells. Her red blood cells are good, but not the white. The vet talked to me and said she could bleed to death. We doubled her medication, and I also had a shot given to her that helped raise her white count before. The vet said I am just keeping her alive, but that I just had to make the decision myself. I was not ready to walk out of there without my Haley, so asked him to give her the shot again. The shot starts with a "V" and is basically a type of chemo (it isn't expenxive). My vet also said that eventually she will get heavier, and sleep, eat, pant, and that's it. So, I have to decide when it is time to put my selfish desire to have my baby with me, or let her go. I prayed that she'd go in her sleep, but don't see that happening. Am I horrible to keep her on medication? She seems fine, and still looks good, but she breathes really hard. How do you tell when a dog is in pain...? I have so many worries, but don't want her out of my life.

Any advice for me? Thanks.

xzochye
October 17th, 2011, 6:30 PM
Awe Engteach I feel so bad for you. Back in April I really thought I was going to lose my 4 year old dog and it hurt beyond words.

If your baby isn't going to get better and have a happy/healthy life then I think it would be time to let her go. From what you wrote it sounds like you are just prolonging then inevitable.

Regardless of what you decide I am sending warm thoughts and hugs your way.

Ludwig
October 17th, 2011, 7:15 PM
Letting go of your pet is never easy. Heck, just the thought of it makes me panic. Death of a pet is a hard subject for many people, but avoiding the topic isn't helpful to you or your pet.

Let me ask you, if it was YOU in your dog's situation, how much treatment would you want? How much pain and suffering would you be willing to endure if there was even a chance that you'd have a better life? When would you just want to say, “Enough”?

Quality of life is another issue. If you know that your dog is suffering and has no chance of returning to even an adequate level of quality of life, I think it's time to talk with your vet about euthanasia. If the side effects of a treatment are going to mean that your dog will be very sick from it and there's less than a 50-50 chance of returning to a good quality of life, I think you should talk with your vet about whether the treatment is really in the dog's best interest. Again, ask your vet what he or she would do if it was their dog. Sometimes it's hard to let a creature that we love so much leave our life, but once a reasonable level of quality of life for that pet is gone, I think the loving thing to do IS to let go.

engteach64
October 17th, 2011, 9:26 PM
At this point she does not appear to be in pain. She was just running around a few minutes ago. She is old, but does not seem to be in pain. The vet said when she just lays around all day breathing heavy that is a sign she has no real life. Right now she seems fine, but I just have to keep watching her. The vet said the amount of medication she will have to take (really cheap medicine) may cause her to become diabetic. I think that will be the time to know she is going. Thank you all for your advice. It has been very helpful to know that I am on the right track. Thanks for your support and kind words telling me what I know, but needed others to verify.

siamcat
October 17th, 2011, 9:49 PM
I'm so sorry for what you're going through.
Basically you have to ask yourself if your dog is still having a quality life. I know dogs don't talk, but you know your dog.
If you're willing to pay for their treatment and you feel like they're still enjoying life then go with it.
At the point where you feel like their life is just suffering then you have to make the decision to end it.
I know you love your dog and will make the best decision for them, but only you can know when it's time.
I'm keeping you and your dog in my thoughts and prayers.
I know my pets are family and I would hate to have to make that decision.

Night Owl
October 18th, 2011, 7:00 AM
This is not an easy subject to talk about. My pups are part of my family. Your decision should be based on what you know about your pup and the non-talking hints he gives. He will let you know when it is time and your duty is to notice when that happens. It will be one of the most difficult decisions you will ever make. Good luck and my prayers are with you. Love him while you have him is the best advice I can give.

JoAnn Purser
October 18th, 2011, 7:08 AM
I know for me I knew it was time for my retriver to be put down because of the quality of her life. She was a very happy dog throughout her life and I owed her a dignified ending to a very much appreciated friendship. You will know when. Years later I still think of her and so will you.

engteach64
October 18th, 2011, 8:13 AM
This morning she was like a puppy again. She was running around, barking, and having a good time. This is what confuses me. I guess I will do as you all say, and just keep my eye on her. She does not look as if she is in any pain, so I will continue with the meds since they are affordable. Thank you all for your kind words. It truly does help to hear confirmation of what I am thinking.

mac
October 18th, 2011, 12:00 PM
do you take walks with her. it appears as though you have a beagle. i had to put my beagle down about a year ago........she was very old and i knew it was time when she quit wanting to go on evening walks with me and my jack russle. it was obvious that no longer had a life worth living and and all her aches and pains......mac (take it's collar and leash to the back gate, makeing sure she sees you while at the same time ignoring her and see if she follows you to the gate. if she don't want you to go without her, she's still got a life worth living..

This morning she was like a puppy again. She was running around, barking, and having a good time. This is what confuses me. I guess I will do as you all say, and just keep my eye on her. She does not look as if she is in any pain, so I will continue with the meds since they are affordable. Thank you all for your kind words. It truly does help to hear confirmation of what I am thinking.

engteach64
October 18th, 2011, 1:31 PM
She went running outside this morning, and actually tried to chase a bird. :) If I am fortunate we probably have another good six months to a year before she is no longer having a pain free life.

dawglover
October 18th, 2011, 1:35 PM
I have a dog who is 10 years old. Four years ago she became ill. She almost died. She has recently gotten ill again. I really love my dog, but I need to know when it is time to just let her go. Please don't comment flippantly because this is really hard for me.

Today I went to the vet and they said she is losing her white blood cells. Her red blood cells are good, but not the white. The vet talked to me and said she could bleed to death. We doubled her medication, and I also had a shot given to her that helped raise her white count before. The vet said I am just keeping her alive, but that I just had to make the decision myself. I was not ready to walk out of there without my Haley, so asked him to give her the shot again. The shot starts with a "V" and is basically a type of chemo (it isn't expenxive). My vet also said that eventually she will get heavier, and sleep, eat, pant, and that's it. So, I have to decide when it is time to put my selfish desire to have my baby with me, or let her go. I prayed that she'd go in her sleep, but don't see that happening. Am I horrible to keep her on medication? She seems fine, and still looks good, but she breathes really hard. How do you tell when a dog is in pain...? I have so many worries, but don't want her out of my life.

Any advice for me? Thanks.

Believe me when I tell you that I understand, sympathize, and empathize with what you are going through. We've had to put down three dogs in ours lives, after they lived long lives and gave us more company and joy then can be measured. It's an incredibly hard thing for us dog lovers to do. It hurts. As a grown man I’m not ashamed to say that I cried like a baby when I lost my dogs. I really loved them and they were very important to my family and me.

My advice, ask your vet for an honest opinion. That's what I did. They'll let you know when it’s time for the dogs own good.

P.S. We found that a new puppy helps to alleviate the pain of the loss and bring that joy back in your life. It won't replace what you had but it will be as good as what you had. I still have incredible joy in my life because I have dogs in my life. My wife and I have found out that they are therapeutic for both of us. They help you deal with and overcome adversity and sorrow.

engteach64
October 18th, 2011, 3:32 PM
The biggest thing is that if it weren't for her love during my hardships I would be a basket case. She has gotten me through many hard time, she snuggled with me while I cried for almost a year. I think that is why this is so hard. She has been my therapy.

I figure that if I get another beagle pup, name her Haley, and have her for the next 10 years I will grow senile and think it is the same dog. :) Problem solved.

Night Owl
October 18th, 2011, 3:44 PM
Puppies are special and they give unquestionable love. You can never get that from any other animal.

kantwin
October 18th, 2011, 4:11 PM

Ludwig
October 18th, 2011, 4:48 PM
I truly enjoy my two dogs. But I also realized that dogs do not love at all. They simply make investments in human beings because it works for them. They stand something to gain from putting so-called emotions out there. The more “cute factor” they give us, the more we feel like they love us. This makes it more likely that we will give them more attention, food treats, outdoor access – all based on how much of a show they put on for us. Dogs "love" us as long as we continue to reward their tricks and antics with treats and attention.

I know that some of you might get upset but I have no doubt that if you moved your dog to our neighbor's house and that neighbor gave the dog as much as you gave the dog and in the same motivational forms, your dog would no doubt adapt to the new life and would become as loyal to the neighbor as he was to you.

According to Cesar Millan, when a dog is constantly leaning on you, putting his paw on you, using his nose to make you pet him, and always feeling the need to be touching you in some way, this isn’t your dog loving you, it’s your dog displaying dominant behaviors. In the dog world, space is respect. A dog that is constantly nudging you and leaning on you, is not only disrespecting you, he’s being the alpha dog.

engteach64
October 18th, 2011, 7:28 PM
Ludwig, there is only one problem with your comment...my dog would not want to invest the time in training another person to take care of all of her needs. :) My dogs are not trained, I am.

JoAnn Purser
October 19th, 2011, 8:56 AM
I have two black mouth curs and I can say that the male is a strong speciman that leans against us I feel to protect and feel comfort. The female is the coward of all four of my dogs and she leans onto us also. I thinks she does it to feel safe and comforted too.

The toughest grittiest dog I have (catahoulla) does not lean onto us nor does my heeler.

Could it be the breed? What a minute?!!! They have trained me too.

mac
October 19th, 2011, 11:16 AM
being very familiar with black mouth mountain curs, i can almost guarantee you that their leaning has nothing to do with being an alpha dog. the darn things just love to lean and if you're in a crowd of 10 or so men, they will seek you out to lean on you....but the last thing a moutain cur wants to be is an alpha dog...if anything, it wants you to be the pack leader.......but, actually, i don't think they have the ability to connive anyway......i love those mountain curs......mac

I have two black mouth curs and I can say that the male is a strong speciman that leans against us I feel to protect and feel comfort. The female is the coward of all four of my dogs and she leans onto us also. I thinks she does it to feel safe and comforted too.

The toughest grittiest dog I have (catahoulla) does not lean onto us nor does my heeler.

Could it be the breed? What a minute?!!! They have trained me too.

spedkiddos
October 19th, 2011, 11:55 AM
I have a "puppy" who is 14 years old, she has made several moves with me, from Austin to here. I know the day will come when I will have to make that decision, and it scares me to death. I have other dogs and cats, but she has been with me 1/2 my life... She is healthy for the most part, she does have some hip problems (has pain meds when needed), incontinence at times (meds for that also when needed). She runs around like a puppy most of the time, she does get cranky with my 2 younger dogs. I have been fortunate enough to not have to put a pet to sleep yet. My blue heeler died in his sleep (had not been sick). I think that would be the best way to go, for them and me. I have a feeling you will know when it is time to say good bye, even though it's going to kill you... One thing you can do is take plaster of paris and make a couple of paw prints, just an idea.

dawglover
October 19th, 2011, 11:58 AM
The biggest thing is that if it weren't for her love during my hardships I would be a basket case. She has gotten me through many hard time, she snuggled with me while I cried for almost a year. I think that is why this is so hard. She has been my therapy.

I figure that if I get another beagle pup, name her Haley, and have her for the next 10 years I will grow senile and think it is the same dog. :) Problem solved.

I advise to not get the same breed of dog. You don't want to be comparing and being constantly reminded of the dog you now have. Get a different breed. You can't go wrong with a pug. English Bulldogs are great too but they are expensive to buy and even more expensive to maintain (they have a lot of health issues and live short lives) but if you can afford one, English Bulldogs really are fantastic dogs. Once again, you can't go wrong with pugs. They are generally healthy, very loving, and live long lives (on average 15 years).

dawglover
October 19th, 2011, 12:17 PM
I truly enjoy my two dogs. But I also realized that dogs do not love at all. They simply make investments in human beings because it works for them. They stand something to gain from putting so-called emotions out there. The more “cute factor” they give us, the more we feel like they love us. This makes it more likely that we will give them more attention, food treats, outdoor access – all based on how much of a show they put on for us. Dogs "love" us as long as we continue to reward their tricks and antics with treats and attention.

I know that some of you might get upset but I have no doubt that if you moved your dog to our neighbor's house and that neighbor gave the dog as much as you gave the dog and in the same motivational forms, your dog would no doubt adapt to the new life and would become as loyal to the neighbor as he was to you.

According to Cesar Millan, when a dog is constantly leaning on you, putting his paw on you, using his nose to make you pet him, and always feeling the need to be touching you in some way, this isn’t your dog loving you, it’s your dog displaying dominant behaviors. In the dog world, space is respect. A dog that is constantly nudging you and leaning on you, is not only disrespecting you, he’s being the alpha dog.

Our dogs get upset when we leave and are happy when we come home. They sense if we are ill or sad and let us know that it upsets them. They are the happiest when we are happy. They are completely loyal. They warn us if they sense danger and would try to protect us if they sensed anyone was trying to harm us. Of course dogs will do the same for other owners who treat them well becuase they are domesticatd animals. They must be cared for and they show appreciation, loyalty and and affection to anyone who cares for them. You can call that what you want but it seems like love and comfort to me. That's the way I see it, right or wrong (and it's definately right for me), and I could care less what anyone else thinks. It annoys me that anyone would try to ruin that for me or other dog lovers with insenstive reasoning. Dogs are known as "mans best friend" for a reason, so stick that in your ear.

P.S. Other than that, you're a great American Ludwig. :)

dawglover
October 19th, 2011, 12:20 PM
One thing you can do is take plaster of paris and make a couple of paw prints, just an idea.

I prefer pictures and videos. They capture the greatest memories.

engteach64
October 19th, 2011, 1:55 PM
I can't do bull dogs, I have "dog hearing," and would go insane with that loud bull dog breathing. Sometimes I breathe too loud for me.

dawglover
October 19th, 2011, 2:01 PM
I can't do bull dogs, I have "dog hearing," and would go insane with that loud bull dog breathing. Sometimes I breathe too loud for me.

You haven't lived until you've had a bulldog "licky face." :)):)

Night Owl
October 19th, 2011, 2:11 PM
Then I don't want to live. Shelties and weiner dogs are enough. If you want a loving, gotta touch you dog then get a weiner dog. They love to cuddle.

dawglover
October 19th, 2011, 2:32 PM
Then I don't want to live. Shelties and weiner dogs are enough. If you want a loving, gotta touch you dog then get a weiner dog. They love to cuddle.

Yeah, and they remind you of your own weiner - your iddy bitty weiner, and that pervert New York congressman guy that had to resign.. :)):)):)):))

Night Owl
October 19th, 2011, 3:47 PM
I wish mine was as long as my weiner dog!!!:)

engteach64
October 19th, 2011, 4:30 PM
Okaaaaaaaaaay, keeping us on topic...The best dog I ever had was my cocker spaniel/chow mix. She looked like a fox when she blew her coat, and she sat beside me when I was down. If my husband and I argued, she always snubbed him...she took my side. When I had surgery she would lie beside me and just lay her head on my lap, when someone tried to walk in the house she would growl and put herself between me and the person, when we went to bed at night she would go into each of the kids' room and walk up to the bed...look up at them, then go to our room to sleep (we never taught her to do that). Chows are one person dogs. They attach to one person, and do not attach to others, at least that is what all the books say, and what I saw. She was the best dog ever.

My beagles are great too, they love me and protect me, they are pack dogs, so they will snuggle if forced, but for the most part are at the age where they just want to be left alone. :) I'm okay with that because the times they do snuggle are all the better.

dawglover
October 19th, 2011, 5:20 PM
I wish mine was as long as my weiner dog!!!:)

That;s why I said "iddy bity." :)):)):))

dawglover
October 19th, 2011, 5:23 PM
Okaaaaaaaaaay, keeping us on topic...The best dog I ever had was my cocker spaniel/chow mix. She looked like a fox when she blew her coat, and she sat beside me when I was down. If my husband and I argued, she always snubbed him...she took my side. When I had surgery she would lie beside me and just lay her head on my lap, when someone tried to walk in the house she would growl and put herself between me and the person, when we went to bed at night she would go into each of the kids' room and walk up to the bed...look up at them, then go to our room to sleep (we never taught her to do that). Chows are one person dogs. They attach to one person, and do not attach to others, at least that is what all the books say, and what I saw. She was the best dog ever.

My beagles are great too, they love me and protect me, they are pack dogs, so they will snuggle if forced, but for the most part are at the age where they just want to be left alone. :) I'm okay with that because the times they do snuggle are all the better.

Your first dog mentioned sounds great but none of them can give a good ole' bulldog "licky face."

JoAnn Purser
October 19th, 2011, 6:15 PM

Yea like when they get into the katnip for the SECOND TIME!!!!!

siamcat
October 19th, 2011, 9:56 PM
Personally I prefer pound pups. I have never bought a dog or cat. Our current one is a lab mix and he was the runt of the litter. Once we trained him or he us he's the best.
There are way too many abandoned pets out there that need homes. They don't have papers, but you can find about any breed out there.

Night Owl
October 20th, 2011, 7:04 AM
Two of my three are rescue pups.

engteach64
October 20th, 2011, 7:45 AM
Most of the dogs we've had in the past have been pound pups. My chow/cocker mix was given to us by a lady I worked with. She bred both breeds, and one got to the other, so she gave us Ginger. My beagle, Haley, is pure. We bought her pure. Her buddy, Flash, looks pure beagle, but we rescued him from the pound. He had heart worms, and the vet treated him for free since I volunteered at the clinic. Five years later I still have him. I see advantages both ways. It is a matter of whether you want to pay for purity or not. Either way these animals get love and affection, and so do we.

joyohjoy
October 20th, 2011, 12:49 PM
You can also get really good dogs from a rescue group. Choose the breed you love and get a rescue. I have a rescued Boston and she is the best dog going. Have not been able to figure out why she was dumped.

engteach64
October 20th, 2011, 12:57 PM
There used to be an organization called Pet Finders, and you could take your pet there and they would find the perfect home for them. That is where we got a dog once. If there is an adoption center on post you could go there. People abandon pets regularly in the military. Sad to say, but true. When they travel to other countries they don't take them. Some do, but many dump them. That was why I had to quit volunteering. It broke my heart. If I had the room I would adopt all kinds of dogs, but I don't.

spedkiddos
October 20th, 2011, 8:16 PM

Well of course so do we... but it's something different you can do. I've done it with my XXL puppy, it shows how much she has grown in a short time..

engteach64
October 21st, 2011, 12:38 PM
My daughter got a beagle puppy. She posts pictures, and then I post pictures of my beagle and tell her that is what her's will look like in 10 years. :)