PDA

View Full Version : Hawaii???

Rick
October 13th, 2011, 7:29 AM
Looking for some Hawaii tips. Thinking about going in February for our 30th anniversary. Knowing us, I have doubts if we will actually go, but justnin case, I want to know if anyone has been and if so, what you would suggest. What to see, where to stay, what island?

Night Owl
October 13th, 2011, 8:23 AM
Check out http://www.afvclub.com/

engteach64
October 13th, 2011, 5:58 PM
I think we were on Oahu (sp), but you HAVE, HAVE, HAVE to go to the Dole plant and eat fresh pineapple. Also get the pineapple drink. I was only there for three days, but it was so beautiful. We also went snorkeling (okay I snorked before I freaked out) at Shark Cove. No sharks, just the name. It was so awesome. It felt like swimming in a tropical fish tank. No matter what, you have to get into the crystal clear water. Have a blast!!

armyslowrdr
November 25th, 2011, 12:34 PM
yup that's oahu and i never got bored once in the 3 year tour,,, well 1 year was in Iraq and that was enjoyable as well. Although I wouldn't recommend Kirkuk as a normal tourist hotbed :)

CenTexDave
November 25th, 2011, 4:27 PM
If you have the time, Rick, get off Oahu - check out Kauai, Maui and the Big Island. If you want to see what the islands were mostly like before tourism destroyed them - go to Molokai or Lanai.
I'll be on Oahu a couple of days around Feb 4 - 6, then flying onto the PI.

Rick
November 25th, 2011, 10:42 PM
IF we go, I will look at that. Wife is going to Germany to be with her aging mother for Christmas, so that may cancel our vacation yet again.

CenTexDave
November 26th, 2011, 8:14 AM
Rick, if you do go there be sure to check Iolani Palace in Honolulu and the Pali Lookout. Sunset Beach on the north shore is famous - world's biggest waves for surfing.
If you get to Maui let me know. My brother owns a company there called Ocean Activities Center. He can take you scuba diving or snorkeling.

Rick
November 26th, 2011, 9:19 AM
That would be sweet!

dawglover
November 26th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Check out http://www.afvclub.com/

We stayed at the Army's Hal Koa Hotel right on the beach in Honolulu. It was fantastic and reasonably priced too, especially when compared to any of the other civilian hotels. If you book early you can get in if you are active duty military, DoD Civilian, or retired military. I highly recommend it. Here is the link to check it out:

http://www.halekoa.com/index.cfm

dawglover
November 26th, 2011, 12:55 PM
Rick, if you do go there be sure to check Sunset Beach on the north shore is famous - world's biggest waves for surfing.

Yeah, Ludwig and me were riding the waves there during a big Tsunami. Ludwig had to ride a jelly fish that was stuck to his surfboard. He screamed out in pain and then went in to shock once he reached shore. His foot swelled up like a snowshoe and that’s when he gave up surfing.:)):)

dawglover
November 27th, 2011, 2:09 PM
Yeah, Ludwig and me were riding the waves there during a big Tsunami. Ludwig had to ride a jelly fish that was stuck to his surfboard. He screamed out in pain and then went in to shock once he reached shore. His foot swelled up like a snowshoe and that’s when he gave up surfing.:)):)

He should have stuck with it. With a foot that size he didn't need a surf board.

liessemsed
December 7th, 2011, 5:05 PM
Hubby and I went in '06... we followed the advice of my sister-in-law who had just been there on her honeymoon. We were told to avoid Honolulu proper. For the most part, we did. We stayed at the Marriott resort in Ko Olina and absolutely fell in love with it. We did not do all of the things that you're "supposed" to do - we didn't do the Polynesian Cultural Center, or Diamond Head, and we never hit the beaches in Waikiki. We hiked a trail (Wikiwikinui Trail, I think?) and it was amazing. We surfed in Haleiwa (amazing - North Shore Surf lessons - fabulous!), we snorkled in a few spots on the island. We also did Germaine's luau, which according to my friend who is a local, has the best hula show if you're looking to do that. My favorite things about our trip was the breakfast buffet at the resort - totally worth the extra $$, and these chocolates we got at Walmart called Toffee Macs. Toffee and macadamia nuts? Yes please!!!

Don't get bogged down in Honolulu. The island is so much better than just Honolulu. And make you island hop. We are going in a few years again and plan to hit the other islands this time.

Rick
December 7th, 2011, 6:50 PM
Great stuff, thanks.

stormy
December 8th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Hubby and I went in '06... we followed the advice of my sister-in-law who had just been there on her honeymoon. We were told to avoid Honolulu proper. For the most part, we did. We stayed at the Marriott resort in Ko Olina and absolutely fell in love with it. We did not do all of the things that you're "supposed" to do - we didn't do the Polynesian Cultural Center, or Diamond Head, and we never hit the beaches in Waikiki. We hiked a trail (Wikiwikinui Trail, I think?) and it was amazing. We surfed in Haleiwa (amazing - North Shore Surf lessons - fabulous!), we snorkled in a few spots on the island. We also did Germaine's luau, which according to my friend who is a local, has the best hula show if you're looking to do that. My favorite things about our trip was the breakfast buffet at the resort - totally worth the extra $$, and these chocolates we got at Walmart called Toffee Macs. Toffee and macadamia nuts? Yes please!!!

Don't get bogged down in Honolulu. The island is so much better than just Honolulu. And make you island hop. We are going in a few years again and plan to hit the other islands this time.

Did you stay at the Mariott resort, or the JW Mariott Ihilani Resort? When I lived in Hawaii, we went and stayed at Ihilani twice and it is by far the awesomest place I have ever been to. If I ever go back, that's where I'll stay. It is beautiful!!!!!

liessemsed
December 8th, 2011, 5:31 PM
We stayed at the Ihilani. Incredible... It was the best 6 days I've ever spent. I still have the exfoliating soap they put out in the bathrooms. I can't wait to go back!

stormy
December 9th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Yes! That place IS absolutely amazing!!!! I'll have to try and find some pictures and load 'em up here!

engteach64
December 10th, 2011, 11:40 AM
The things that struck me about Hawaii was that as soon as I got off the plane it was so green. I mean GREEN!! It was definitely a tropical feel. I know it is an island, but it was so much better than I thought. I also loved that the lobby to the hotel was wide open, no doors or windows, just totally open. I definitely want to go back.

armyslowrdr
December 27th, 2011, 11:07 PM
I miss riding the bike up to kole-kole pass and then bombing down. Almost can get to the commissary without pedaling. Germaines was good but Polynesian is an all day thing. I'm glad I stayed 3 years minus 1 Iraq tour--I got to do the Honolulu things and Island local things multiple times :))

stormy
December 28th, 2011, 12:49 PM
We lived right off that main drag (if I remember right) that takes you up Kole Kole Pass. I can't imagine riding a bike up that thing!

Brian McCall
December 28th, 2011, 2:02 PM
I was supposed to go to Hawaii for my first duty assignment out of AIT. The ex didn't want to be "stuck on some island in the middle of nowhere," so I got my orders amended. I was probably the only person in history to ever request their orders to Hawaii exchanged for Korea. So it was, I spent a year in freezy, steamy Hanguk. Before I deployed in 09, I went TDY to Hawaii for some pre-deployment training. When I saw where I would have lived for three, wonderful, balmy, beachy years, all the curses I had for that woman instantly took on new life.

Night Owl
December 28th, 2011, 2:07 PM
The second sentence says it all. Starting with the second word.

armyslowrdr
December 28th, 2011, 5:28 PM
We lived right off that main drag (if I remember right) that takes you up Kole Kole Pass. I can't imagine riding a bike up that thing!

yup yup, housing area right on the way. the golf course on the way they destructed to build more housing much like they ended up doing here on Hood. lol--used to do 3 or 4 rides to the top and back at a time. Was a chore but fun.

armyslowrdr
December 28th, 2011, 5:31 PM
ugh. i consider hawaii my reward for baumolder, ge (3+ years) and cp casey korea (19 months) but those places were ok too, just not A-ok, they just "B" ok lol

I was supposed to go to Hawaii for my first duty assignment out of AIT. The ex didn't want to be "stuck on some island in the middle of nowhere," so I got my orders amended. I was probably the only person in history to ever request their orders to Hawaii exchanged for Korea. So it was, I spent a year in freezy, steamy Hanguk. Before I deployed in 09, I went TDY to Hawaii for some pre-deployment training. When I saw where I would have lived for three, wonderful, balmy, beachy years, all the curses I had for that woman instantly took on new life.

mac
December 29th, 2011, 4:36 PM
"Baumholder".....the armpit of BRD...

Rick: as some have come close to saying, avoid oahu like the plague.....it's absolutely ruined (i'm talkin' '58 thru '62). Big Island was getting that way too. molakai, kauai are the places to put up at and then just do day trips to oahu or big island if you think you absolutely have to go. best of all, today, however, is maui.........relatively unspoiled......but still great facilities....mac

ugh. i consider hawaii my reward for baumolder, ge (3+ years) and cp casey korea (19 months) but those places were ok too, just not A-ok, they just "B" ok lol

Rick
March 21st, 2012, 5:14 PM
Well, I booked the trip for April 15 - 19th. Not when I wanted to go, since our church wedding anniversary is the 24th, but work requirements....yada yada yada.

Our hotel Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa (http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/hnmmc-wailea-beach-marriott-resort-and-spa/).

In thirty years, we've NEVER done anything like this, so we are excited.

I am planning to do a whale watching dinner cruise and Sunrise on a Volcano (http://www.gohawaii.com/maui/guidebook/topics/haleakala-sunrise).

And if I can coerce wife into taking a spa afternoon, I just might go fishing. ;)

CenTexDave
March 21st, 2012, 5:34 PM
Congrats. I'm sure you will really like it.

Rick
March 21st, 2012, 5:50 PM
Didn't you say that your brother's business is on Maui?

CenTexDave
March 21st, 2012, 8:15 PM
Yes, Ocean Activities Center in Lahaina.
I believe he's back in Ohio visiting for a while, but am sure the business is still operating. At one time it was huge - even owned a resort on Lanai, but the economy forced him to cut back a lot and that resort was sold.

TexMexYum
March 21st, 2012, 8:28 PM
I'm so jealous. I hope you will post many pictures and notes! I'm hoping my daughter/son-in-law will one day end up being stationed there. :)

Well, I booked the trip for April 15 - 19th. Not when I wanted to go, since our church wedding anniversary is the 24th, but work requirements....yada yada yada.

Our hotel Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa (http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/hnmmc-wailea-beach-marriott-resort-and-spa/).

In thirty years, we've NEVER done anything like this, so we are excited.

I am planning to do a whale watching dinner cruise and Sunrise on a Volcano (http://www.gohawaii.com/maui/guidebook/topics/haleakala-sunrise).

And if I can coerce wife into taking a spa afternoon, I just might go fishing. ;)

stormy
March 22nd, 2012, 12:04 PM
Awesome! The resort looks beautiful. In the 2 1/2 years I lived on Oahu, I never went to any of the other islands. :( Have a great time!

stormy
March 22nd, 2012, 3:03 PM
All this talk of Hawaii made me hungry :)) Harleygirl & I went and got C & H Hawaiian Grill for lunch today! Mmmmmm! :thumbsup

Rick
March 29th, 2012, 3:39 PM
I got some good news regarding the trip the other day. We were supposed to fly out of Killeen at 10:15ish AM, change in Dallas, then fly to Los Angeles, change planes to Maui and arrive in Maui at 7:30 PM.

New plan we leave Killeen to DFW at 9:15, change planes at DFW and fly to Maui, arrive at 3:15 PM. That's so much better. :thumbsup

Ludwig
March 29th, 2012, 3:41 PM
Anything to avoid landing in CA has got to be good.

Night Owl
March 29th, 2012, 4:31 PM
I got some good news regarding the trip the other day. We were supposed to fly out of Killeen at 10:15ish AM, change in Dallas, then fly to Los Angeles, change planes to Maui and arrive in Maui at 7:30 PM.

New plan we leave Killeen to DFW at 9:15, change planes at DFW and fly to Maui, arrive at 3:15 PM. That's so much better. :thumbsup

4 additional hours on the beach watching the bikini's. Gotta love it.

CenTexDave
March 29th, 2012, 5:33 PM
Oh hell yeah - avoid LAX like the plague.
American Airlines has a non-stop flight DFW to Honolulu. Long flight - 8+ hours - but worth not having a layover.

cnjbond
March 29th, 2012, 6:41 PM

Oh the days when airlines included meals in these long flights...without paying extra!

Brian McCall
March 29th, 2012, 7:48 PM
Oh the days when airlines included meals in these long flights...without paying extra!

You paid extra then too. It was just included in the price of the ticket. Personally I like it this way, more like an itemized cost. I can get the discount price without a meal, or "pay extra" as you say and have something to eat.

I never cared much for airline meals anyway. Just a big box of carbohydrates.

CenTexDave
March 29th, 2012, 9:15 PM
Very true. And DFW to Honolulu is considered a domestic flight, so bring food aboard or grab something at one of the airport's food vendors. Of course American will be happy to sell you a crappy sandwich for $10+.

Rick
March 29th, 2012, 10:00 PM
We'll bring some snacks and probably grab a subway sandwich for the flight. Getting in early, we'll have time to find a nice seafood place for Sunday dinner.

CenTexDave
March 30th, 2012, 2:01 AM
Rick - if it's still open you have to eat at the Banyan Tree Restaurant in Lahaina. Best damn Portuguese Bean Soup I ever had - best soup I ever had. Ordered it as an appetizer, kept telling them to bring more and didn't bother with the main course.

Night Owl
March 30th, 2012, 7:07 AM
You only did that for the gas effect.:))