PDA

View Full Version : Ceiling Fan Blows

Ludwig
September 27th, 2011, 9:53 AM
OK. I have a ceiling fan/light combination that is giving me fits. When set for winter use, blowing up against the ceiling, it works quite well. When I reverse the fan for summer use, at all speed settings, it blows the ground-fault circuit breaker. I don't have the time/energy to repair it. Does anyone know of a person who has the requisite skills to fix it? A new fan/light combination costs about $150 so the repair ought to cost somewhat less.

mac
September 27th, 2011, 10:01 AM
if it were mine, i'd just change the gfc....mac

OK. I have a ceiling fan/light combination that is giving me fits. When set for winter use, blowing up against the ceiling, it works quite well. When I reverse the fan for summer use, at all speed settings, it blows the ground-fault circuit breaker. I don't have the time/energy to repair it. Does anyone know of a person who has the requisite skills to fix it? A new fan/light combination costs about $150 so the repair ought to cost somewhat less.

Ludwig
September 27th, 2011, 10:36 AM
if it were mine, i'd just change the gfc....mac

If it were only the fan/ceiling light circuit I'd have no problem. That circuit however covers all the outlets in the Master Bedroom and I'm not sure what the code requirements are.

THEMEANOGRE
September 27th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Ask the building inspector. They have all the requisite info and there should be no fee for them to come out to give you advice.

mac
September 27th, 2011, 11:54 AM
just pop out the one that's already in and it'll tell you every thing you need to know on the back of it.......and take it with you to lowes or home depot or aces...mac

Ask the building inspector. They have all the requisite info and there should be no fee for them to come out to give you advice.

THEMEANOGRE
September 27th, 2011, 12:12 PM
I'm giving room for the possibility that there might be more in the room drawing current than the breaker was designed to handle. Ludwig may need to go up to the next amperage of breaker.

mac
September 27th, 2011, 12:55 PM
yeow......that's always possibility....kind of rare but always possible. it's generally a weak breaker and the more time a breaker pops, the weaker, or easier to pop, it gets.....especially GFIs....

EMEANOGRE;166856]I'm giving room for the possibility that there might be more in the room drawing current than the breaker was designed to handle. Ludwig may need to go up to the next amperage of breaker.[/QUOTE]

engteach64
September 28th, 2011, 12:51 PM
When they put the GCFI breaker on my pool it kept blowing. It was too small even though it was the exact same voltage? He put one that was just one step bigger seemed to make the difference. I've never had trouble with it since. Hope you figure it out cheaply.

I have a home warranty on my house, and I had to have some electrical work done. It cost me 60.00 for the visit, and they fixed everything I asked. Pretty good deal for a house built in the 70s.

Ludwig
September 28th, 2011, 2:03 PM
OK my friends. Call off the dogs. My fan blows, like a homo, in both directions now. We had an electrician come and and he found a short in the lower unit of the fan. It only cost $65 to get it all fixed. Thanks for all your input.

Night Owl
September 28th, 2011, 3:24 PM
That's exactly what I was thinking it was. A short in the fan!!!!:)

TheOldProgrammer
September 28th, 2011, 3:43 PM
That's exactly what I was thinking it was. A short in the fan!!!!:)

That makes two of us Owl... Maybe we should have said something earlier...

:smoke

Night Owl
September 28th, 2011, 3:46 PM
Yea I know but I just forgot.

engteach64
September 28th, 2011, 4:18 PM
Yeah, unh huh, that's what I was thinking too. :) Me and all my vast knowledge. Now I can add something else to my knowledge base of home repairs...ceiling fan blows, check for short. Thanks. :)