PDA

View Full Version : Bullying

Ludwig
September 16th, 2011, 10:01 PM
So I'm sitting here watching a show recorded earlier from CBS. I don't know what to think. I remember when I was in 4th grade and all the way to high school being ridiculed and called names and yet never once thought of committing suicide, nor did I strike out and fight. Name calling is just what kids our age did. What has changed?

stormy
September 17th, 2011, 9:52 AM
The social environment has changed & technology has changed... Cell phones, computers. We didn't have that growing up, and the world is a very crazy place these days. I watched the show last night. It was sad to see how cruel the bullies were to the kids... As a parent I just don't know how I'd handle it if my kids were bullied...

Ludwig
September 17th, 2011, 11:14 AM
It just seems to me that our generation was better equipped to deal with taunts and insults. Why do these kids go on the internet to get insulted? Why do they allow the bullies into their circle of friends on the social nets? Why do they internalize the insults? From where does this great need to be accepted by everyone come from?

Mestral
September 17th, 2011, 4:03 PM
It just seems to me that our generation was better equipped to deal with taunts and insults. Why do these kids go on the internet to get insulted? Why do they allow the bullies into their circle of friends on the social nets? Why do they internalize the insults? From where does this great need to be accepted by everyone come from?
Kids nowadays have been so sheltered they cannot handle the least little thing. Parents cannot handle their kids being exposed to even the slightest risk, and it carries over to the kids. The state has to legislate every little aspect of our lives, so if we try to raise kids that are tough, self sufficient, and mindful, we are accused of being abusive and neglectful. This didn't happen overnight, of course, it happened so slowly that most of the people on this forum will not be able to see it when they first look for it. We have been, for the past two generations, been progressivly raising up nincompoops.

mac
September 17th, 2011, 4:07 PM
rush calls it the "chickification" of American men......mac

Kids nowadays have been so sheltered they cannot handle the least little thing. Parents cannot handle their kids being exposed to even the slightest risk, and it carries over to the kids. The state has to legislate every little aspect of our lives, so if we try to raise kids that are tough, self sufficient, and mindful, we are accused of being abusive and neglectful. This didn't happen overnight, of course, it happened so slowly that most of the people on this forum will not be able to see it when they first look for it. We have been, for the past two generations, been progressivly raising up nincompoops.