PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping with a puppy...

Scarlett
April 19th, 2009, 10:09 AM
I have decided that it is harder to sleep with a new puppy than it is to sleep with a new baby or even with a man.
Puppy insists on being curled up either ON me or right by me where he can feel my heart beating...thus preventing my moving. I am a mover...
Puppy needs to go OUTSIDE to pee.
Puppy cries in his sleep, but he is still asleep...I am not...
Puppy way too loud for any sleep to happen if puppy does not get his way.

Babies don't go out in the rain in the middle of the night.
Men don't either...that I care to know about...

But guess what? I sure love this new puppy....even if I am tired...
http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr84/tcherizard/puppy1.jpg

FieryPrincess
April 19th, 2009, 10:33 AM
With our new puppy (11 years ago) we had her in a crate with some newspapers in one corner and a blanket*. She went crazy with the crate in the other room, but with teh crate in the bedroom with us, she was OK. We also had the house a little warmer than usual for awhile too.

Every morning we would clean out the cage with bleach and put down new paper. I think that was the only time we subscribed to a paper...

*it was a Rottweiler sized crate for a 8 week old Lab/greyhound mix puppy. She had plenty of room.

skipster
April 19th, 2009, 12:14 PM
He is a sweetie. It does not take them guys long to become wrapped around our hearts. I love his eyes. My guys have taken over my bed. If I try to move them over so I can have a little room they look at me like how dare you dusturb us. Have you come up with a name yet? I vote for Felix.

bytem
April 19th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Ahwww,ADORABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

circle_c
April 19th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Oh yeah, hes a cutie got that already in charge look in his eyes.

Scarlett
April 19th, 2009, 1:55 PM
I know it took him less than a hot minute to become part of the family. He is my new lap baby...and yeah, he has me wrapped around that paw.

CenTexDave
April 19th, 2009, 2:36 PM
Good Lord, it is a dog. Put him with your other dog at night.
You're going to start something that he'll get too used to and be very hard to break.
Believe me - I went through this crap many years ago.

Rick
April 19th, 2009, 3:10 PM
Dave, it ain't like it's going to grow up to be a 100 pound dog. I don't like animals in beds, but to each, his (or her) own.

skipster
April 19th, 2009, 3:19 PM
My babies share my house and everything in it. To me they are a part of the family. When one of babies had surgery and was not allowed to jump or climb. I took my bed apart, put the matress on the floor and we slept on the floor. I probably treat my pups better than some people treat their kids. The only time they are treated differently is when the grandkids visit. When the grandkids are here the pups sleep in the living room and are not allowed in the bedroom. My pups have never shown any aggression towards the grandkids but I will not take any chance, especially with the lab since she is so scared of everyone.

Scarlett
April 19th, 2009, 3:52 PM
Jeesh Dave, it isn't as if my big bed doesn't have room for a tiny dog! My other dog is a product of an ex who hated animals, thus he was crate trained for night time. He goes there now on his own when he is tired. This dog gets just me...he can share the bed!

Dagobert II
April 19th, 2009, 6:04 PM
My wife doesn't want any dogs on the bed, but I don't mind.

The dogs all wait until she falls asleep before getting on the bed. The Westie just jumps up and makes himself comfortable. He doesn't even try to be discreet. He just flops his full weight down on the mattress. The Yorkie is too small to get up on the bed by herself so she comes to my side of the bed, scratches the side of the bed with her front paws while standing on her hind legs and looking at me pitifully. When I pick her up she runs down to the foot of the bed and makes herself comfortable. The Sheltie won't get on the bed if my wife is at home, but when she's not home he'll get on the bed (my side) when I shower and wait there for me to come out.

I'm also the one who feeds the dogs and takes them to the groomer and the vet so it should come as no surprise to my wife that when she comes home the dogs run to the door to greet her and then turn away in disappointment when they find out its her and not me.

The other day my wife had sequestered herself in the bedroom with the door closed while I took my youngest son to play paintball. According to my wife, our Yorkie barked at the bedroom door. My wife opened it and the Yorkie walked right past her into the bedroom as though she were looking for something. The Yorkie continued into the master bathroom, then looked under the bed and walked back to the door that my wife had closed. The Yorkie looked at my wife and barked for her to open the bedroom door to let her out. My wife figured the Yorkie was looking for me, and satisfied I was not in the bedroom, had no desire to remain there with my wife.

Scarlett
April 19th, 2009, 6:36 PM
That is so funny....

Ed Coet
May 9th, 2009, 7:15 PM
I'm a real dog lover. My dogs sleep where they want and when they want. I spoil them far worse then I did my own kids.

Chief
May 10th, 2009, 2:17 PM
Dogs don't belong in bed, or on the furniture. And, cats just don't belong.