PDA

View Full Version : Which HS would you send your son or daughter too?

onetime
September 5th, 2011, 7:19 PM
This is just a sports question and I am bored so I thought it would be interesting to see where everyone would send there son or daughter to if they had the choice. If I were going education I would have to choose Killeen, solely for their I.B. program. The schools to choose from would be the K.I.S.D. schools Belton, Temple, and Cove.

Football and Boys Track would clearly go to Cove, I think they do a great job as a staff developing their players and they have worked for as long as I know to assist kids in getting to the next level wether it be Division three or one they do a great job. I would imagine that at least 5 to 8 kids from that school go on to play college football somewhere. I think if you were to look at every other school in the area they might get one or two out every so often, but there is definitely some talent that stays home due to grades I am sure, but I would imagine that Cove has to have an answer in place to address the grades. The track team is simply an extension of the Football team but they seem to do well there.

Boys Basketball - Wow this is tough, while Killeen has certainly been one of the most "talented" teams the last five or six years they are equivalent to the Dallas Cowboys as far having a great regular season (I think the HC has got to be 150 - 20) that is great only to lose to "Middle No where" High in the first round. The lose to Dripping springs a few years ago was inexcusable. I liken it to Lebron James 4th quarter performances in the finals. Unlike cove who has done a great job getting there kids to the next level and actually performing at the next level I just wonder if the Roos get the same out of there kids. Check Tre Nichols and Cory Jefferson who have or have had tiny roles on their teams. Hopefully the same can not be said about the next one.

Girls Volleyball and Basketball would go to Cove (Belton?) as well, I watched the volleyball team play a game against Killeen a short while ago and it seemed as if I were watching a division II college volleyball team against a 2A high school. It was an overmatched squad. As far as basketball is concerned, similar to volleyball their are so many players that likely play on club squads, I do not think that is the case at the other schools minus Belton.

Baseball - Belton hands down, the Killeen schools do the best job ever of making the city looking as close to an inner city dwelling as possible check Shoe whos baseball program historically worse then the football team (yes its possible) Killeen did not make the playoffs this year in a five team district. FOUR TEAMS MAKE THE PLAYOFFS!!!!!!, Waco high is in the district YIKES!!!!!! They stink University is in the district they stink.

CenTexDave
September 5th, 2011, 10:36 PM
Kind of agree.
Add Belton in on soccer. Hands down the class of the district, both boys and girls.

onetime
September 6th, 2011, 9:33 AM
I forgot about the soccer teams but I agree, I think Soccer, baseball, and volleyball are the sports where the team with the most money wins 100% of the time.

junior
September 6th, 2011, 2:43 PM
onetime, couldnt you compare Cove' s football team to Killeen's basketball team? Seems like they crush folks during district, then can't finish it in the playoffs.
I'd have my kids go to Belton for baseball, swimming, or soccer.
And KHS for football, and basketball.
I'm biased though, growing up in Killeen, I could never let my kids go to Cove, or Temple.

Night Owl
September 6th, 2011, 4:12 PM
Any school that is not KISD!

dawglover
September 6th, 2011, 7:14 PM
Football and Boys Track would clearly go to Cove, and maybe girls for basketball. Boy's basketball I'd take Killeen. Soccer & Baseball - I'd have to go with Belton. Girls Volleyball - toss up between Cove, Belton and Ellison. Finally, cheerleading (which is definately a sport) goes hands down to Cove. Finger painting, graffiti and dope pushing all go to Shoemaker and Harker Heights. :)) Understand I'm sticking with the local areas only. If you want to go state wide or nation wide that would take a lot more thought.

RooDawg
September 6th, 2011, 9:23 PM
I will agree with most of onetime's assessments...

I will say that unlike cove football, killeen's basketball has at least won the district title 6-times in a row, albeit in a SIX (not five) team district...and yes, the basketball team has not done well the last couple of years in the playoffs but the previous four years the roos have lost either to the state champion of that year (south oak cliff) or a state finalist (lake travis)...tre nichols will be starting this year for boise state and jefferson should see plenty of playing time this year with the baylor bears after being redshirted last year...he still has three years left...the latest basketballer out of K-town high is tashawn thomas who should see alot of playing time as a freshman at the university of houston...i have to admit that that's pretty good

the one major thing i will say that the reason cove football has many kids going to colleges is NOT because the coaches are getting them there...it's mainly because the kids are good enough to play at the college level...i can promise you that if a kid could not play at the next level that there is nothing a coach, even at cove, can do to get them into college...KISD has had kids make it to the next level and play college ball and even further...but I can guarantee that those kids would have been able to get a college scholarship no matter where they were...if they are good enough to play in college the college coaches are going to find them...

onetime
September 6th, 2011, 9:36 PM
I will agree with most of onetime's assessments...

I will say that unlike cove football, killeen's basketball has at least won the district title 6-times in a row, albeit in a SIX (not five) team district...and yes, the basketball team has not done well the last couple of years in the playoffs but the previous four years the roos have lost either to the state champion of that year (south oak cliff) or a state finalist (lake travis)...tre nichols will be starting this year for boise state and jefferson should see plenty of playing time this year with the baylor bears after being redshirted last year...he still has three years left...the latest basketballer out of K-town high is tashawn thomas who should see alot of playing time as a freshman at the university of houston...i have to admit that that's pretty good

the one major thing i will say that the reason cove football has many kids going to colleges is NOT because the coaches are getting them there...it's mainly because the kids are good enough to play at the college level...i can promise you that if a kid could not play at the next level that there is nothing a coach, even at cove, can do to get them into college...KISD has had kids make it to the next level and play college ball and even further...but I can guarantee that those kids would have been able to get a college scholarship no matter where they were...if they are good enough to play in college the college coaches are going to find them...

I think if it wer based solely on athletic ability then the KISD schools would have several Division one kids yearly, the point I was making is that Coves A.D. likely runs the building as far as teachers passing and failing students. Where at certain schools kids will fail off the team or have to go to summer school do to over zealous teachers failing kids with 68s for a six weeks, "yes I said it teachers failing kids with 68s" (I mean a legitimate 68, not the one where 20 grades were dropped and their original grade was a 42)

I would imagine that those teachers are told that they need to give the kid in question every opportunity to pass the course as possible or suffer behind the scenes consequences.

Coaches are just as responsible for "getting them there" as the students, think of the freshman and sophomore school years, I wonder if Cove's kids GPA are similar to KISD kids GPAs after the first or second year. I would think not

Excellent points on the other stuff Roo and thanks for the clarification, with that said how well will the roos do now that the D1 talent pool has dried up this year.

CenTexDave
September 6th, 2011, 11:35 PM
Totally false onetime. You either pass or you don't play for Jack Welch.

Night Owl
September 7th, 2011, 6:54 AM
Give a pass to a student that is failing. A 68 is failing and if that is what the kid earned that is what the kid should get. If you pass that kid with a 68 just exactly what are you teaching that kid? Nothing good.

jimbob
September 7th, 2011, 7:35 AM
Question was "where would you send your child to school?" My answer Cove. Good all around school , community, and athletic program. And there is alot of jealousy about Cove. People ususally are NOT jealous of the bad schools lol.:)

CenTexDave
September 7th, 2011, 10:05 AM
I know for a fact Cove doesn't do this. I speak from experience. My son played for Welch and company. I remember during his freshman year over 60% of the team failed the first grading period. The Gold team (A team) was especially decimated and many had to be moved up from the Blue (B team). The JV team also experienced it a bit. Jack Welch warns the incoming freshman that the first semester of their freshman year will be their hardest during high school. Lots of them didn't believe it. So in Cove, it's no pass, no play.

onetime
September 7th, 2011, 6:48 PM
Give a pass to a student that is failing. A 68 is failing and if that is what the kid earned that is what the kid should get. If you pass that kid with a 68 just exactly what are you teaching that kid? Nothing good.

Night Owl, if your at Harvard University then I would agree, if your a perfect teacher that teaches to all learning styles and abilities then I would say yes you give someone a 68 that has earned a 68, but with that said If I did not fit that criteria or come near it then I would give a kid the benefit of the doubt as I would with the entire class. It is called a curve. Who cares man, get off your high horse on that one please.

onetime
September 7th, 2011, 6:50 PM
I know for a fact Cove doesn't do this. I speak from experience. My son played for Welch and company. I remember during his freshman year over 60% of the team failed the first grading period. The Gold team (A team) was especially decimated and many had to be moved up from the Blue (B team). The JV team also experienced it a bit. Jack Welch warns the incoming freshman that the first semester of their freshman year will be their hardest during high school. Lots of them didn't believe it. So in Cove, it's no pass, no play.

:rolleyes Yeah sure with the Frosh, but all bets are off with the older kids, believe that pal.

CenTexDave
September 7th, 2011, 6:55 PM
Wrong again, pal.
About 5 years ago they lost two starts on the varsity. Thanks to only 6 week grading periods the kids were able to at least play in the first 5 games, had to sit out the next six, but were able to come back and play on the team that went onto win 3 or 4 games in the playoffs.
By the way, pal, you really need to learn that "you are" is abbreviated as "you're", and that "your" is possessive.

onetime
September 7th, 2011, 7:28 PM
You would have to understand the dynamics of athletics, sometimes kids are so far in the hole that the thought process is we will take the bullet for these kids now for something in the future. Centex first off there is no six weeks in between, it is a 3 week add process if you failed at the 6 week grading period. That is three games, with that said who were the teams that they played? Killeen, University, and the wood? Remember how weak that district was?

CenTexDave
September 7th, 2011, 9:33 PM
It was 13-5A back then. A&M and Bryan in there with Waco, Temple and the rest. Cove went to the regional finals.

SciTeach
September 7th, 2011, 9:43 PM
I teach in Cove and I can assure you the athletes and other extra curricular kids work hard to make the grade! I have Varsity, JV and Freshmen football players for science and they are ALL at tutorials every day they are offered so that they can get help and keep their grades up. Other athletes, Band, Color Guard, Cheer, etc. also show up and they are there to WORK! I am truly impressed. I worked in KISD for 3 years and had athletes and NEVER once had a kid in tutorials...EVER! Don't knock the program, those athletes and "extras" kids do what they need to do and as for college, the programs get them ready in their sport/activity, the teachers get them ready for academics, the parents and the kids get ready in their drive to get somewhere...they are ready all the way around...not just in their "game"! It's a team effort from all of us and Cove is a well-oiled machine :)

onetime
September 7th, 2011, 9:48 PM
Oh I am sorry, 5 years ago cove was in there with W High, Mid, Uni, K-town, and the wood

onetime
September 7th, 2011, 9:49 PM
I teach in Cove and I can assure you the athletes and other extra curricular kids work hard to make the grade! I have Varsity, JV and Freshmen football players for science and they are ALL at tutorials every day they are offered so that they can get help and keep their grades up. Other athletes, Band, Color Guard, Cheer, etc. also show up and they are there to WORK! I am truly impressed. I worked in KISD for 3 years and had athletes and NEVER once had a kid in tutorials...EVER! Don't knock the program, those athletes and "extras" kids do what they need to do and as for college, the programs get them ready in their sport/activity, the teachers get them ready for academics, the parents and the kids get ready in their drive to get somewhere...they are ready all the way around...not just in their "game"! It's a team effort from all of us and Cove is a well-oiled machine :)

Whose knocking anyone? I was simply posing a thought, great job then Cove.

SciTeach
September 7th, 2011, 9:55 PM
Just wanted to make sure that everyone is clear...those kids get NOTHING for free ;) I hear it all the time about how Cove kids get a ride academically because of athletics and I will yell from the mountaintops if I have to...those kids work and work hard. There are no free passes and no easy way out. The kids and the district deserve the credit for making sure they are well-rounded and I'm going to stand up and say it as long as there is one person who still doesn't believe it ;)

Go Dawgs!

Night Owl
September 8th, 2011, 6:54 AM
Whose knocking anyone? I was simply posing a thought, great job then Cove.

Sometimes it is better to keep thoughts to yourself until you have facts to back those thoughts up. Just a thought.

onetime
September 8th, 2011, 7:28 AM
Sometimes it is better to keep thoughts to yourself until you have facts to back those thoughts up. Just a thought.

How do ever discover anything if you do not explore the issue, say what you want, no school or program runs that tight a ship.

jimbob
September 8th, 2011, 8:06 AM
One time is trying to irritate Cove backers. Cove is where I would have my kids go to school. Good discipline, high academic standards, excellent extra-curricular programs and a good community. :)

Night Owl
September 8th, 2011, 8:07 AM
There are many ways to explore an issue. I said what I wanted. Define running a tight ship?

You are the one, if I recall correctly, that said teachers should give passing grades to students that do not earn passing grades. If that is your plan on how to run a tight ship, then I hope your ship is a row boat. Just a thought.

sbdriver
September 8th, 2011, 9:26 AM
I drove the freshmen team bus to College Station once and they all were studying, doing homework and the coaches helped the boys when needed.

RooDawg
September 8th, 2011, 9:26 AM
regardless of where a coach is, if he/she is any good he/she will be involved in the athletes' grades...each athletic program and even each sport will demonstrate some responsibility with athletes and their academics...they would be foolish not to...with that being said coaches also have to build a relationship with the teachers in order to ensure that the athlete's are 1) getting the help that they may need in class and 2) providing the support to the teachers when an athlete is not being academically successful...this is an added benefit of being an athlete...i dont agree that teachers should give preferential treatment to athletes but i do believe that teachers, who are given support by the coaches, will work more with athletes in achieving their academic goals...ultimately it comes down to what the athlete is willing to do academically...

As for the 68...i have a hard time thinking an athlete fails with a 68...again, this is only if what i suggested above is happening...how does a teacher ALLOW an athlete, who has done everything he possibly can (in the opinion of the teacher), with the support of the coaches, to fail by 2 points...that is a disheartened teacher...now if an athlete is a turd and does nothing to help themselves pass I can understand a teacher failing the kid...(but i would move the points down to 65 so it doesnt look like you are being a hard ---)...

To answer onetime's question awhile back about the loss of many athletes at K-Town high...it's going to be a tough athletic year for KHS all around...

CenTexDave
September 8th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Oh I am sorry, 5 years ago cove was in there with W High, Mid, Uni, K-town, and the wood
OK, six years ago. Excuse the hell out of me. We lost to Lufkin in the Regional Finals.
You're fighting a losing battle here, onetime. Cove coaches care about their kids and their grades. See SciTeach's comments above.

onetime
September 8th, 2011, 10:35 AM
One time is trying to irritate Cove backers. Cove is where I would have my kids go to school. Good discipline, high academic standards, excellent extra-curricular programs and a good community. :)

Billy bob your jumping in a little late, hell I would send my Kids to cove to play football, run track, volleyball, and girls basketball.

onetime
September 8th, 2011, 10:42 AM
OK, six years ago. Excuse the hell out of me. We lost to Lufkin in the Regional Finals.
You're fighting a losing battle here, onetime. Cove coaches care about their kids and their grades. See SciTeach's comments above.

I am sure your D.W. Rutledge himself over the Centex so I am sure you know alot about how high school sports are ran. The wealthier schools typically do not have to worry aboutgrades, but middle of the road schools like Cove or lesser ones like KHS likely deal with the issue early and often throughout the school year. Killeen had an offensive lineman that was six foot seven and 300 pounds, he went to Navarro JC. I am just speculating, but I think that usually when cove has a can't miss they go somewhere. Just a thought

Agent X
September 8th, 2011, 4:41 PM
Football - Killeen HS - best coaching in KISD by far (just couldn't stomach sending my kid to Cove, sorry:()

Baseball - Belton - great program from little league on up - right demographic for baseball players

Basketball - Killeen HS - would have been Ellison when Manley coached but now KHS

Track - Anywhere HS - probably least likely to be influenced by coaching at high school level

Soccer - People's Republic HS - don't know anything about it - don't care and neither do my kids

As for college scholarships, too much is made about "coaches" getting scholarships for kids. Fact is that talent wins out in the end. Now being in a good program with good coaching will improve those skills but D1 talent will rise to the top. Case in point, David Cobb (EHS Class of 2011, now at Minnesota) excelled even while being coached by the worst football coach in Central Texas while playing in a system that was not comparable to any successful, modern day college programs. The kid could flat out play and his talent was revealed even under those circumstances. Borderline D1 kids and those below probably benefit from the prestige of their program and get a few more looks due to their coaching pedigree.

onetime
September 8th, 2011, 8:42 PM
Football - Killeen HS - best coaching in KISD by far (just couldn't stomach sending my kid to Cove, sorry:()

Baseball - Belton - great program from little league on up - right demographic for baseball players

Basketball - Killeen HS - would have been Ellison when Manley coached but now KHS

Track - Anywhere HS - probably least likely to be influenced by coaching at high school level

Soccer - People's Republic HS - don't know anything about it - don't care and neither do my kids

As for college scholarships, too much is made about "coaches" getting scholarships for kids. Fact is that talent wins out in the end. Now being in a good program with good coaching will improve those skills but D1 talent will rise to the top. Case in point, David Cobb (EHS Class of 2011, now at Minnesota) excelled even while being coached by the worst football coach in Central Texas while playing in a system that was not comparable to any successful, modern day college programs. The kid could flat out play and his talent was revealed even under those circumstances. Borderline D1 kids and those below probably benefit from the prestige of their program and get a few more looks due to their coaching pedigree.

Great information Agent X, but I think you are making my point on the significance of Coaches and getting kids into Universities. Look at shoemaker, traditionally bad school, but Gray obviously had connections to overcome that crappy schemes that they ran and get kids to college. With that said, how many more would have had the opportunity if they were coached by Welch? Or Cobb going to Minnesota? I wonder where he would have ended up had he went to Killeen?

jimbob
September 10th, 2011, 10:21 AM
What a class act Coach Welch and Cove staff were Friday night, honoring the George family at the coin toss of the football game. Much more than just the game is taught at Cove, and many of us appreciate that. Go 'Dawgs!

CenTexDave
September 10th, 2011, 10:48 AM
And go they did, 59-9. :bluerofl

dawglover
September 10th, 2011, 4:19 PM

...and Dawglover. Don't forget that.:thumbsup

dawglover
September 10th, 2011, 4:21 PM
And go they did, 59-9. :bluerofl

Woo Hoo!!!!! Arf! Arf! :):)):)):))

bbh
September 10th, 2011, 4:41 PM
Football and Boys Track would clearly go to Cove, and maybe girls for basketball. Boy's basketball I'd take Killeen. Soccer & Baseball - I'd have to go with Belton. Girls Volleyball - toss up between Cove, Belton and Ellison. Finally, cheerleading (which is definately a sport) goes hands down to Cove. Finger painting, graffiti and dope pushing all go to Shoemaker and Harker Heights. :)) Understand I'm sticking with the local areas only. If you want to go state wide or nation wide that would take a lot more thought.

I'm all for a little trash-talk, but man, that was nasty, and I'm more than a little surprised that anyone liked this post or thought it was funny. These are kids that we're talking about, and a generality like that is unfair, IMO.

We're three weeks into the school year, and I have a lot of athletes in my classes. Not a single one of them fits this characterization.

SciTeach
September 10th, 2011, 6:47 PM
Remember the like button doesn't allow us to like just part of the comment...I appreciated the notice for Cheer (DEFINITELY) a sport :)

bbh
September 10th, 2011, 7:34 PM
Gotcha. :-)

CenTexDave
September 10th, 2011, 8:29 PM
Don't think the athletes at Heights or Shoemaker are involved in those shenanigans. I've been to plenty of soccer games at both Heights and Shoemaker fields. Was always treated with respect.

dawglover
September 11th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Don't think the athletes at Heights or Shoemaker are involved in those shenanigans. I've been to plenty of soccer games at both Heights and Shoemaker fields. Was always treated with respect.

It's not there athletes. It's the student body reputation. Granted, only a few taint the rest but hey, if the shoe fits?

Scarlett
September 11th, 2011, 11:49 AM
As for the 68...i have a hard time thinking an athlete fails with a 68...again, this is only if what i suggested above is happening...how does a teacher ALLOW an athlete, who has done everything he possibly can (in the opinion of the teacher), with the support of the coaches, to fail by 2 points...that is a disheartened teacher...now if an athlete is a turd and does nothing to help themselves pass I can understand a teacher failing the kid...(but i would move the points down to 65 so it doesnt look like you are being a hard ---)...

As a teacher, I find your choice of words bothersome. I do not "allow" my students to fail. If they fail, that was a choice they made. I can guarantee I did everything in my power to prevent that. I have kept them informed of their grades, I have contacted their coaches and parents. If they CHOOSE to never come to tutoring or turn in all of their assignments and they end with a 68 or even a 69, that is what they EARNED. As teachers, we do not "fail the kids." If we have done everything in our power to teach them and show them where they are and where they are going, then they fail themselves. And sometimes, lessons learned the hard way are the lessons they LEARN.
My 7th period class has 12 varsity football players in it. TWELVE. It is the end of the day, right before they go to athletics, and the LAST thing on their minds is history. It isn't easy, but they are learning quickly that I do not bump a grade just because I like them.

Ludwig
September 11th, 2011, 12:21 PM
... It isn't easy, but they are learning quickly that I do not bump a grade just because I like them.

Just wondering, if your values are as described and you have done as you said, then why is it not easy? How do/would you respond to pressure from the coach, the administration, to "bump" a grade?

Scarlett
September 11th, 2011, 12:28 PM
It isn't an easy class....because that many boys with minds on football are hard to focus.
I have NEVER had a single coach or administration ask me to bump a grade...or even come conference with me about an athlete's grades. Not once in my 6 years at Ellison. So I don't know exactly how I would respond other than to lay out their grades and tell them to take a look.

bbh
September 11th, 2011, 3:42 PM
I've never had a coach or principal ask me to bump a grade either......in all my time with KISD (17 years). I've never had anything but support from coaches. Never.

bbh
September 11th, 2011, 3:51 PM
It's not there athletes. It's the student body reputation. Granted, only a few taint the rest but hey, if the shoe fits?

So there are absolutely no kids who do drugs at CCHS? None? That's amazing. I would say that CCISD has a moral obligation to let the world in on the secret of your success. We should all model ourselves after your enormous success in wiping out drugs among our young people.

"Finger painting, graffiti and dope pushing all go to Shoemaker and Harker Heights." Again, this was a nasty, snarky general statement which was beneath you. But I can see that there will be no backing off. If it was due to "the student body reputation," it's because there are those of you who perpetuate that false reputation.

RooDawg
September 11th, 2011, 5:00 PM
As a teacher, I find your choice of words bothersome. I do not "allow" my students to fail. If they fail, that was a choice they made. I can guarantee I did everything in my power to prevent that. I have kept them informed of their grades, I have contacted their coaches and parents. If they CHOOSE to never come to tutoring or turn in all of their assignments and they end with a 68 or even a 69, that is what they EARNED. As teachers, we do not "fail the kids." If we have done everything in our power to teach them and show them where they are and where they are going, then they fail themselves. And sometimes, lessons learned the hard way are the lessons they LEARN.
My 7th period class has 12 varsity football players in it. TWELVE. It is the end of the day, right before they go to athletics, and the LAST thing on their minds is history. It isn't easy, but they are learning quickly that I do not bump a grade just because I like them.

I wholeheartedly agree with you that students are the ones who fail...My stance is that if a student, any student not just student-athletes, has averaged their grade to a 68 or 69 then I am not willing to say that student will fail. I don't know about you Scarlet, but I know that I am not the best teacher each class period in a day for each day of a nine-weeks. I work and try to do that but I am sure that I don't reach that level. With that being said, if a student of mine ends a grading period with a 68 or 69 then I make sure that they are passing.

Scarlett
September 11th, 2011, 5:04 PM
If a student has ANY zeros...I hope no teacher bumps them up a point.

Night Owl
September 11th, 2011, 8:22 PM
I wholeheartedly agree with you that students are the ones who fail...My stance is that if a student, any student not just student-athletes, has averaged their grade to a 68 or 69 then I am not willing to say that student will fail. I don't know about you Scarlet, but I know that I am not the best teacher each class period in a day for each day of a nine-weeks. I work and try to do that but I am sure that I don't reach that level. With that being said, if a student of mine ends a grading period with a 68 or 69 then I make sure that they are passing.

Trying to take the blame away from the student and blame yourself is all fine and good, but if the student didn't earn a passing grade then they deserve what they get. Did every student understand and this one student just didn't get it? Did this student get tutoring? Did they communicate with the teacher and let the coach know they were having problems? Would you give the second string quarterback the starting job just because he made every practicve and just couldn't grasp the playbook as well as the starter? If not then you are a hypercrit.

Scarlett
September 11th, 2011, 8:51 PM
My problem is this...if in the minds of some a 68 is, in fact, passing...then why isn't that where the bar is?
The bar is set at 70.
Changing the bar changes everything.
(To keep this a sport's thread...you don't move the goal line just because the offensive player was "close" to making a touchdown.)
If the school districts in the state of Texas want us to make 68 passing, then 68 should be passing. They have set the standard at 70...so in my world, it is a 70. And I promise you, as I promise all of my students, I will do my very best to make sure the students in my class understand that and are aware of all the extra time and effort I put into making sure it isn't an unreasonable request.

onetime
September 11th, 2011, 9:03 PM
Trying to take the blame away from the student and blame yourself is all fine and good, but if the student didn't earn a passing grade then they deserve what they get. Did every student understand and this one student just didn't get it? Did this student get tutoring? Did they communicate with the teacher and let the coach know they were having problems? Would you give the second string quarterback the starting job just because he made every practicve and just couldn't grasp the playbook as well as the starter? If not then you are a hypercrit.

The two things your trying to compare are not even remotely the same, if one student makes a higher grade in the class does he become the starter of something? No, with that said I can imagine that Scarlett as a teacher has missed a deadline, did not complete a SPED students Modifications or forgot to complete something or was late grading a few students papers due to things outside of her control. The average high school football, basketball, volleyball, or baseball player works or participates in his sport for nearly 30 hours a week. Your telling me that if that person who is likely drained from other "more important" classes (MATH, SCIENCE), TESTs, peer pressure, etc, etc. during your class is a good kid in your class turns in most of the important assignments (NOT BUSY WORK), and passes all of his tests but earns a 68 in your class you would fail him/her? If it is an AP course or Pre-AP, full steam ahead fail there buts, but general Education that is a no no.

onetime
September 11th, 2011, 9:06 PM
I've never had a coach or principal ask me to bump a grade either......in all my time with KISD (17 years). I've never had anything but support from coaches. Never.

Your probably either a really good teacher that students get along with and learn a good deal, or a poor teacher that passes most of your kids. Because that kinda stuff happens, if your failing 60% or 40% or 30% of your kids and one of them happens to be significant in a sport. Someone is going to bring that up to someone else until it is properly addressed.

onetime
September 11th, 2011, 9:08 PM
If a student has ANY zeros...I hope no teacher bumps them up a point.

What makes up a zero? Is it the teacher that gives out a hundred assignments? Or the others with 10 and accept no late work?

onetime
September 11th, 2011, 9:11 PM
My problem is this...if in the minds of some a 68 is, in fact, passing...then why isn't that where the bar is?
The bar is set at 70.
Changing the bar changes everything.
(To keep this a sport's thread...you don't move the goal line just because the offensive player was "close" to making a touchdown.)
If the school districts in the state of Texas want us to make 68 passing, then 68 should be passing. They have set the standard at 70...so in my world, it is a 70. And I promise you, as I promise all of my students, I will do my very best to make sure the students in my class understand that and are aware of all the extra time and effort I put into making sure it isn't an unreasonable request.

Honestly Scarlett how often are we talking? I would think the issue occurs once a year, I can only imagine how great that kid is in your class after you fail him with a 68 and he is watching his teammates continue the season. Cheers to you scarlett for teaching the kids a great life lesson.

Scarlett
September 11th, 2011, 9:17 PM
A zero is a zero is a zero. I don't care why they didn't want to do the assignment. It isn't a buffet of work where they get what they want to do.
I don't give out a hundred assignments, but I do give a lot. I am also kind and understanding and I don't assign things to be do on a football day.
I teach all AP and Pre-AP classes and we do not have the privledge of slowing down. There are no kids with mods in my classes...well...wait...there is one. And no, 30-40-50% do not fail my class. Closer to 2-4 kids out of 174. I do not LET them fail...I stay on them. BUT if they choose to ignore the help...ok. I can't help stupid choices.

And while I am not saying that I am "all that" I will say this...I put in more hours teaching AP than you would ever understand. I was at Ellison last weekend on Saturday from 6-midnight grading essays. Then Sunday from 1-7. This weekend I was doing better because last week they took tests not essays....so I was only at Ellison until 6 three nights during the work week and for 5 hours on Saturday...2 hours today. But since over 140 essays are due tomorrow...looks like another busy weekend coming my way. Why do I do this? So that I am never late grading something or forget something. If I allowed myself to get even a day behind, I would never recover from that. Not with the load I carry this year.

Scarlett
September 11th, 2011, 9:18 PM
Honestly Scarlett how often are we talking? I would think the issue occurs once a year, I can only imagine how great that kid is in your class after you fail him with a 68 and he is watching his teammates continue the season. Cheers to you scarlett for teaching the kids a great life lesson.

LOL. You confuse the lessons I teach with the lesson he taught himself. ;)

onetime
September 11th, 2011, 9:22 PM
A zero is a zero is a zero. I don't care why they didn't want to do the assignment. It isn't a buffet of work where they get what they want to do.
I don't give out a hundred assignments, but I do give a lot. I am also kind and understanding and I don't assign things to be do on a football day.
I teach all AP and Pre-AP classes and we do not have the privledge of slowing down. There are no kids with mods in my classes...well...wait...there is one. And no, 30-40-50% do not fail my class. Closer to 2-4 kids out of 174. I do not LET them fail...I stay on them. BUT if they choose to ignore the help...ok. I can't help stupid choices.

And while I am not saying that I am "all that" I will say this...I put in more hours teaching AP than you would ever understand. I was at Ellison last weekend on Saturday from 6-midnight grading essays. Then Sunday from 1-7. This weekend I was doing better because last week they took tests not essays....so I was only at Ellison until 6 three nights during the work week and for 5 hours on Saturday...2 hours today. But since over 140 essays are due tomorrow...looks like another busy weekend coming my way. Why do I do this? So that I am never late grading something or forget something. If I allowed myself to get even a day behind, I would never recover from that. Not with the load I carry this year.

I am referring mainly to regular Ed classes, to be included with foreign language, electives, and AVID. If your in Pre-Ap and AP courses I think the solution would be to get out of the class. If I had a student that failed in one of these types of courses I would let them know they would need to either go to regular ed or not expect the token again.

CenTexDave
September 11th, 2011, 9:33 PM
Perhaps if they think a 68 is passing you need to refer them to remedial math class.

onetime
September 11th, 2011, 9:47 PM
Perhaps if they think a 68 is passing you need to refer them to remedial math class.

Dave no one tells them at the beginning of class that if you make a 68 you will pass, let's be realistic.