PDA

View Full Version : coughing up white foamy mucus

spedkiddos
September 3rd, 2011, 11:11 AM
Cane has coughed up a white foamy mucus (very slimy) several times today. She's not coughing a lot, just when she's coughing up the mucus. Could it be allergies, what can I give her? She also has her "spots" again! We've been taking notice as when they pop up, its seems like it is several days after we give her a bath. Is there a type of shampoo you would suggest? She has to get a bath about once a week or week and a half. She LOVES to roll in the dirt... Thanks Dr. Buckley!

Brad Buckley, D.V.M.
September 3rd, 2011, 11:21 AM
The coughing and gagging up mucus is most consistent with inflammation in the throat or tonsils. Sometimes allergy or extremely dry air can aggravate this. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless it drags out over several days. Should you need to treat I would use about 75mg of Benadryl every 12 hours for about 2 days. This would be 3 of the 25mg capsules.

As for the skin, if you are beginning to notice a pattern of outbreak then I would change to a very mild shampoo. I like aloe vera and oatmeal shampoos for situations such as this but there are other options. Watch for any itching and scratching and let me know if these lesions spread or look more "angry" than usual.

Tell ol' "tiny" to stay cool for me!!!

BB

spedkiddos
September 3rd, 2011, 12:02 PM
The first type we used was oatmeal, we've tried Johnson & Johnson baby... we will try aloe. She's slowed down on putting on weight, but starting to gain more muscle. 1868 I think it's hard to tell in the pics how big she is, but she was right at 100 a month or so ago!

SciTeach
September 4th, 2011, 11:17 PM
I bathe my bassets in Dawn dishwashing soap. Being typical bassets, we were forever fighting inflammations...when we tried the Dawn soap the inflammation and "basset smell" stopped. (If it's gentle enough for a baby duck, it's good enough for me :) ) It works wonders for fleas too (but only the green apple scented one)...we never use chemicals or treat the yard because of my allergies so finding stuff like this has been great :)