PDA

View Full Version : Baylor Upsets TCU 50-48

Rick
September 2nd, 2011, 10:57 PM
Great win for the Bears!

cnjbond
September 2nd, 2011, 11:41 PM
We were cheering pretty loud at the updates during the Killeen vs Shoemaker game, I can't believe they pulled it off, I wished I saw it!

onetime
September 3rd, 2011, 1:25 AM
If griffen stays there next year Baylor he should get his. Head checked

dawglover
September 3rd, 2011, 9:13 AM
Here is the story in the KDH today:

Griffin puts on a show as Baylor upends No. 14 TCU Posted On: Saturday, Sep. 3 2011 01:03 AM
By Alex Byington
Killeen Daily Herald

WACO — In an effort to ramp up attention for junior quarterback Robert Griffin III, the Baylor athletic department has started a Heisman Trophy campaign with his own trading card and a fancy new website dedicated to his accomplishments.

Following a record-setting performance in front of a national ESPN audience, in which Griffin led Baylor on a game-for-the-annals winning drive in the closing minutes of a 50-48 upset of No. 14 TCU, consider the nation now fully aware of the man known simply as RGIII.

Throwing a career-best five touchdowns and 359 yards on 21-of-27 passing, Griffin also caught a clutch 15-yard pass from favorite target Kendall Wright on a third-and-10 play to extend the go-ahead drive, setting up the game-winning 37-yard field goal by kicker Aaron Jones with 1:04 left in regulation.

"It just let us know that we can be one of the best offenses in the nation," the former Copperas Cove standout told Sportscenter after the game. "It showed me this is one of the best teams I've ever been on."

And, even after spotting the Horned Frogs 25 points in a furious fourth-quarter rally in which TCU stormed back from a 47-23 deficit to take a 48-47 lead with 4½ minutes remaining, it was a Bears defensive stop — an interception by safety Mike Hicks — with 2 seconds left that sealed the upset Friday night at Floyd Casey Stadium.

And, seemingly inviting Baylor Nation to storm the field with a waving of his arms before the final snap, Griffin kneeled in the victory formation as a sea of yellow flooded the Bears players celebrating on the field,

Coming through with one of the greatest offensive showings of his illustrious career, Griffin shone brightest playing opposite ex-Bulldawg teammates Josh Boyce and Logan and Tanner Brock with TCU.

Boyce, a childhood friend of Griffin's from their days playing church-league basketball, had the biggest impact for the Horned Frogs, finishing with a team-high 96 yards receiving on nine receptions and a 9-yard touchdown reception coupled with a two-point conversion catch one play later that made it 47-39 with 11:05 in the fourth quarter. Logan Brock (4 catches for 41 yards) added a pair of touchdown catches that bookended a 26-point scoring run by Baylor that put them in position to bring TCU's 25-game regular season winning streak to a screeching halt.

But ultimately, it was the Baylor offense — led by RGIII himself — that made the biggest plays, as Griffin found Wright a school-record 12 times for a career-best 189 yards and two touchdowns. Wright also had a touchdown throw himself, opening up the shootout with a early-first quarter 40-yard double-pass to Terrance Williams, who himself finished with six receptions for 126 yards and two scores.

But the miraculous comeback might not have been necessary if not for Griffin's lone mistake on the night — a fumble with just under seven minutes left caused and recovered by TCU defensive lineman Stansly Maponga — that set up the Horned Frogs' go-ahead 27-yard field goal by kicker Ross Evans to cap a 25-point turnaround.

After back-to-back incomplete passes to begin the next drive, the Bears offense changed things up, calling a passing play to Griffin. Throwing a lateral to Wright in the backfield, Griffin took off up the middle of the field 15 yards before turning around just in time to haul in the first-down completion, absorbing a monster hit by TCU linebacker Kris Gardener.

"Honestly, it caught me off guard, especially for coach to call that on 3rd-and-10, but I'm glad he did because it worked," Griffin said of his catch. "I knew I was going to get hit on the play, just because every time we run that play I get hit — and I'm still feeling that hit right now — but you have to make those kind of plays to win."

Laying on the ground for a few seconds, Griffin popped up ready to keep moving the ball, returning the favor with an 11-yard completion to Wright and then taking off on a 7-yard scamper across midfield. Following a short run by Ganaway, Griffin found Williams for 17 yards to the TCU 26 and set up Jones for the go-ahead kick.

Contact Alex Byington at alexb@kdhnews.com or (254) 501-7566.

dawglover
September 3rd, 2011, 11:07 AM
KDH: "In an effort to ramp up attention for junior quarterback Robert Griffin III, the Baylor athletic department has started a Heisman Trophy campaign with his own trading card and a fancy new website dedicated to his accomplishments."

Expect Griffin to be in the Heisman Trophey hunt with a real chance of winning it. Then look for him to go in to the draft at the end of this year. Then expect him to be a "first round" draft pick and maybe even the first or second overall pick in the entire NFL draft. Then look for him to be Tony Romo's replacement on the Cowboys (or maybe Houston).

CenTexDave
September 3rd, 2011, 1:59 PM
Let's check on the locals, and some former opponents from high school:
Griffin - outstanding
Boyce - good plus, a couple of drops but weren't real good throws
Logan Brock - two TD's, excellent
Tanner Brock - where was he last night? I think Baylor neutralized him real well. His counterpart, Tank Carder, played pretty well, but Tanner Brock might as well have stayed in the locker room.
Travor Valdez - Baylor freshman DL from Cove - didn't play
Jared Salubia, RB Waco - former Waco HS Lion who always played well against the Dawgs. Now used mainly as a kickoff returner. Some decent kickoff returns.
Casey Pachall, QB TCU - former Brownwood QB who beat the Dawgs one year (we beat him the other). Did well for his first start. And almost brought the Frogs back.

Ludwig
September 3rd, 2011, 2:26 PM
Great win for the Bears!

Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn now and again. And a stopped clock is correct twice a day.

cnjbond
September 3rd, 2011, 3:04 PM
Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn now and again. And a stopped clock is correct twice a day.
Another example of typing tourettes...

TexMexYum
September 3rd, 2011, 4:32 PM
Interesting....

KDH: "In an effort to ramp up attention for junior quarterback Robert Griffin III, the Baylor athletic department has started a Heisman Trophy campaign with his own trading card and a fancy new website dedicated to his accomplishments."

Expect Griffin to be in the Heisman Trophey hunt with a real chance of winning it. Then look for him to go in to the draft at the end of this year. Then expect him to be a "first round" draft pick and maybe even the first or second overall pick in the entire NFL draft. Then look for him to be Tony Romo's replacement on the Cowboys (or maybe Houston).

CenTexDave
September 3rd, 2011, 7:59 PM
Griffin is already on the Heisman and Davey O'Brien watch lists. Last night sure didn't hurt his stock. He's been nominated for ESPN's Player of the Week.

lovinlife
September 3rd, 2011, 8:08 PM
check out www.BU-rg3.com!

Ludwig
September 3rd, 2011, 8:56 PM
That gives a whole new meaning to ego mania.

CenTexDave
September 3rd, 2011, 9:00 PM
He's the real deal for sure, and the Pride of Cove. I've known him since he was a little kid in elementary school. Everyone figured back then he'd be some special athlete.
But he needs to have a big game like he did last night against the likes of Oklahoma, A&M, Oklahoma State, etc. TCU, although they have been the #1 defense in college football the past 3 years, obviously are not very good on the defense this year.

onetime
September 3rd, 2011, 9:05 PM
It is actually one of the smartest things the university of Baylor could have thought of, Briles is smart fellow. What better way to increase interest in your school by young recruits then to pump their Heisman candidate up. The Long horn network is in that same regard, I would do it to.

lovinlife
September 3rd, 2011, 9:41 PM
Robert didn't make the webpage himself...Baylor put it up to promote him, just like onetime said. Other schools do the same exact thing to campaign for their players. Some of the bigger schools have even put up billboards in Times Square for goodness sake!! Anyways, I've known Robert and his family for a long time, too, and he is more than deserving of the attention he is getting. Go Robert and Sic 'Em Bears!!!

CenTexDave
September 4th, 2011, 8:07 AM
Don't get me started on The Longhorn Network. It is the final straw that broke the Big 12's back. A&M is leaving; now Oklahoma is looking.
Add into the fact you can't even get this new UT TV station, I'd say UT has killed the Big 12.

dawglover
September 4th, 2011, 3:18 PM
Griffin is already on the Heisman and Davey O'Brien watch lists. Last night sure didn't hurt his stock. He's been nominated for ESPN's Player of the Week.

Aww, I think he won CTD.

Rick
September 4th, 2011, 7:44 PM
It is tough to carry a team like that for a long season. Hope he stays healthy.

I absolutely loved the guts it took for the Bears to go with the trick play with everything on the line. That was great.

onetime
September 4th, 2011, 9:43 PM
Good for UT then, way to be proactive. Why wait until others receive better offers? If your boss came in and offered you an 80% raise at the expense of others at your job that were good but not as successful would you turn it down? I doubt it, why would anyone expect Texas to do anything different.

bbh
September 4th, 2011, 10:04 PM
What a great game! Love Griffin!!!!!