I bought a single trusting heart,
that gave devation from the start
If you think these things are
NOT FOR SALE
Buy a brown-eyed puppy with a wagging tail

Ludwig
August 26th, 2011, 12:04 PM
... Buy a brown-eyed puppy with a wagging tail

When he grown up, after ruining your carpet and sofa, he will tear off your arm for daring to pick up his bone. A dog, is, after all is said and done, a dog.

dawglover
August 26th, 2011, 12:38 PM
When he grown up, after ruining your carpet and sofa, he will tear off your arm for daring to pick up his bone. A dog, is, after all is said and done, a dog.

I'm sorry my freind, but you're mistaken. A dog is much more than just that. A dog is mans best freind - a therapeutic friend. A dog can pick you up and bring you joy during your most difficult hours. Own a dog and treat your dog right and you too will know and understand what I mean. Other dog lovers can testiify to the truth of this.

THEMEANOGRE
August 26th, 2011, 1:13 PM
A friend showed me a video clip of a large dog dragging a fully grown man out of a burning building.

Ludwig
August 26th, 2011, 1:40 PM
I'm sorry my freind, but you're mistaken. A dog is much more than just that. A dog is mans best freind - a therapeutic friend. A dog can pick you up and bring you joy during your most difficult hours. Own a dog and treat your dog right and you too will know and understand what I mean. Other dog lovers can testiify to the truth of this.

I own two of them. They are great pets and I share my days with them. They, however, are dogs and always will be dogs.

Ludwig
August 26th, 2011, 1:47 PM
A friend showed me a video clip of a large dog dragging a fully grown man out of a burning building.

Awesome! But, on the other hand, There are more than 4 million dog bite victims annually in the USA. A recent study showed that 1,000 Americans per day are treated in ERs as a result of dog bites. In 2010 alone there were 34 fatal dog attacks in the USA. Most of the victims who receive medical attention are children, half of whom are bitten in the face. Dog bite losses exceed $1 billion per year.

dawglover
August 26th, 2011, 3:13 PM
Awesome! But, on the other hand, there are more than 4 million dog bite victims annually in the USA. A recent study showed that 1,000 Americans per day are treated in ERs as a result of dog bites. In 2010 alone there were 34 fatal dog attacks in the USA. Most of the victims who receive medical attention are children, half of whom are bitten in the face. Dog bite losses exceed $1 billion per year.

I'm sure none of those dogs were family pets, or at least not cared for and loved family pets. Do your stats include how many criminals were caught by police dogs and drug sniffing dogs? How about how many lives were saved by explosive sniffing dogs and military dogs? How about the improved quality of life of “Seeing Eye” dogs and a wide variety of other helping/therapeutic dogs. How about the joy that therapeutic dogs bring to the aged in nursing homes and sick children in hospitals? How about the joy that dogs bring to lonely people and regular folks just like me? I could go on but you get my point - don't you?

Ludwig
August 26th, 2011, 3:51 PM
... I could go on but you get my point - don't you?

Yes, I get your point. Nevertheless, dogs are dogs.

Night Owl
August 26th, 2011, 4:45 PM
dawglover, I totally agree with your posts. My dogs are not just dogs, they are MY dogs.

siamcat
August 26th, 2011, 7:34 PM
Dogs have to be trained and loved ( especially the bigger breeds).
If they're neglected, trained to be viscious, or not trained at all they can pose a danger.
Our dog is not just a dog but a member of our family.
I feel sorry for anybody that would try to cause us harm, but otherwise he's a big baby.

SciTeach
August 27th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Children also need to be trained! I can't tell you how many times I've had to stop a stranger's child from just grabbing my dog's ears! (He's a basset) While he wouldn't bite the child normally...his ears are testy if he has an ear infection (rare) and as he is getting older some strange small kid sneaking up behind him to grab those ears is a little startling (his hearing is going). I worry that the wrong kid will catch him on a wrong day and he MIGHT bite. I am a hyper-vigilant owner because parents are not!

What about those stats Ludwig? How many of those children (blame the parents) did something to get bitten (a bite in the face tells me kid in dog's face...kids shouldn't be allowed to do that to any dog, ever)?? How many parents truly teach their children to ask the owner first before petting their dog?? Now I know things happen and there are vicious dogs BUT so many bites could be prevented if parents would do their job and TRAIN THEIR CHILDREN!! It's a shame it's always the dog's/dog owner's fault when someone gets bitten...maybe we should be holding the children/parent responsible. It's not always the dog...even a well trained, well mannered dog will bite if pushed and all children should know that...I blame the parent when a child is bitten!