PDA

View Full Version : A&M Flirting with the SEC...again

cnjbond
August 13th, 2011, 9:47 AM
Well it looks like the Aggies are considering bolting to the SEC, poor things, do they NOT realize they can't compete with those horses?!! If they leave, I think the Big XII will be no more...TCU has already committed to a new conference and I don't see any of the other non Big XII Texas teams being able to fill the void of an A&M exit.

CenTexDave
August 13th, 2011, 10:20 AM
I don't know what A&M is thinking. There is already 12 teams in the SEC, 6 in each division. A&M would probably go in the West Division along with LSU, Auburn and Alabama. Brilliant move. Wasn't it LSU that just blew their doors off in the Cotton Bowl??

Iteachtoo
August 13th, 2011, 11:33 AM
My Aggies are being really, really stupid right now. Hopefully they remember the Cotton Bowl before they make a mistake!!

cnjbond
August 13th, 2011, 12:26 PM
I don't know what A&M is thinking. There is already 12 teams in the SEC, 6 in each division. A&M would probably go in the West Division along with LSU, Auburn and Alabama. Brilliant move. Wasn't it LSU that just blew their doors off in the Cotton Bowl??
FSU is rumored to be a possible addition as well, which would even out the conference. I think A&M is still butt hurt about UT going behind everyone's back and working out their own TV deal after begging the rest of the teams to stay in the Big XII. A&M might be forcing the conference's hands to give them a bigger slice of the pie to stay.

CenTexDave
August 13th, 2011, 12:40 PM
If Florida State jumps from the ACC to the SEC I would A&M going would be a done deal.
The Big 12 would be finished.
When Colorado and Nebraska jumped ship they screwed up. They should have immediately asked TCU and one other Texas team - SMU, Houston, Rice 0 to join.
This country will end up with 4 "power conferences" if A&M and FSU join the SEC. Look for what's left of the Big 12 to join other conferences. Texas even toyed with the idea of the PAC-10 and Big Ten before Colorado and Nebraska left. Missouri was looking at the Big Ten.
Gonna be very sad when some of these great regional rivalries are done.

Iteachtoo
August 13th, 2011, 1:33 PM
I wish they had not killed the South West Conference.

CenTexDave
August 13th, 2011, 1:52 PM
Me too. A&M - Texas and Texas - Arkansas were great rivalries. Of course A&M-Texas still happens every year.
SI is reporting today that the Big 12 is looking at Air Force Academy, BYU and Notre Dame.

cnjbond
August 13th, 2011, 7:16 PM
Notre Dame would be the sexy pic if they decide to join...it wouldn't be too hard to bring in the other teams to round it out to 12 again. The Big XII should have Houston on speed dial if they are only 1 team short or pay whatever the fine is to pull TCU away from the Mountain West Conference.

CenTexDave
August 13th, 2011, 7:43 PM
TCU has already committed to joining The Big East next year. How freaking stupid.
The Big Ten unsuccessfully, went after Notre Dame quite a few years ago. As long as the Irish have that lucrative TV contract with NBC they'll never join a conference. If I was NBC, I'd dump them in a heartbeat. They want to remain independent so they don't have to split and bowl money. The way they've been the past few years, they may not have to worry about any bowl money.

corgifan
August 13th, 2011, 9:16 PM
This is just the beginning. The big conferences are simply looking to divie up available teams to ultimately form four 16 team super conferences. That in turn will set things up to eliminate the current bowl system in favor of a true playoff system. This is a GOOD thing.

CenTexDave
August 13th, 2011, 9:35 PM
I don't think so. Some of those bowl games were conference rivalries.
I agree the BCS sucks, but would be plenty easy now to have a 16 team playoff and still keep all these bowl games.

cnjbond
August 13th, 2011, 11:18 PM
TCU has already committed to joining The Big East next year. How freaking stupid.
The Big Ten unsuccessfully, went after Notre Dame quite a few years ago. As long as the Irish have that lucrative TV contract with NBC they'll never join a conference. If I was NBC, I'd dump them in a heartbeat. They want to remain independent so they don't have to split and bowl money. The way they've been the past few years, they may not have to worry about any bowl money.
Oops I meant Big East not Mountain West, thanks Dave.

cnjbond
August 14th, 2011, 5:11 PM
WOW, the SEC gave A&M the Heisman stiff arm!

Southeastern-Conference-nixes-talk-about-expansion-including-Texas-A&M (http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/Southeastern-Conference-nixes-talk-about-expansion-including-Texas-A%2526M-081411)

CenTexDave
August 14th, 2011, 7:42 PM
All Aggie fans should be totally pissed off they (A&M) even tried to pull this off. I hope every Big 12 team stomps the hell out of them this year.:)

gnatsum
August 15th, 2011, 8:35 PM
According to some experts I've heard, the SEC HAD TO "pull" the invitation, or else the Big 12 could've sued the SEC for trying to entice its members to leave or break their agreements. The invite to A&M was signed, sealed, and all but delivered, when an SEC attorney interjected about the strong possibility of the lawsuit.
Of course, one sports show host on the radio (forgot who) said that the SEC has more than enough money to pay the Big 12 whatever it wants, in order to get Texas A&M. Then...the Big 12 could go turn around and offer SOME of the money to the Big East in order to get TCU!!
One show voice made the comment that the collegiate sports world seems to be headed towards a scenario of having FOUR REALLY BIG conferences (12-16 schools each, with two divisions!) and a small handful of smaller conferences...and the NCAA is powerless to stop it from happening!! (and for that matter...so is the Texas Legislature...although IF A&M 'leaves', does that affect the Permanent School Fund set up years ago to benefit UT and A&M!!)

CenTexDave
August 15th, 2011, 9:50 PM
Nothing more than highway robbery. A&M needs to have its state charter pulled. Let them become a private school.:))