PDA

View Full Version : Chewing issue

engteach64
August 4th, 2011, 9:36 PM
My beagle is chewing herself bloody. She started chewing on her leg, like dogs do when they have alergies. She has now gone to chewing on her leg and making it red. Tonight she was chewing on her tail and I noticed it was bleeding. The entire tip of her tail is bloody. Her hip is red too. When it was just her leg we wrapped it in gauze, and she quit, but now it is everywhere. My chow used to get hotspots, and licked/chewed herself raw. I am concerned my beagle is doing the same. Is there anything I can do?

siamcat
August 4th, 2011, 10:36 PM
My first thought would be fleas.
If she doesn't have any fleas, something is irritating her skin and it should be looked at by a vet.
They can pinpoint what is irritating and come up with a solution.
Unfortunatly our pets/babies can't talk.

engteach64
August 5th, 2011, 12:37 PM
She definitely does not have fleas. That is something I keep up on. My dogs have had fleas once in the last 10 years believe it or not. I don't do fleas, and neither do my dogs. :) It has to have something to do with the extreme heat. She seems to be fine today, so I will just keep watching her, and check with my vet when we go in tomorrow. Thanks.

FieryPrincess
August 5th, 2011, 2:32 PM
Some dogs start and can't stop. Maybe a kong or one of those chew toys with a treat inside that you can keep her occupied with?

You'll also have to keep and eye on her to help break the cycle of behavior if it is becoming habit.

SamBrown
August 7th, 2011, 12:13 PM
et64, I believe it has to do with the heat. I see the same with one of my labs. She does not chew herself bloody, but she is nibbling constantly on herself. I talked to my petsitter about it a couple of weeks ago and she recommended coconut oil once a day (she has English bulldogs) given with the food. It is great for the skin and fur. I bought it at the health food store; it can also be purchased online ("natural pet" site for example).

Brad Buckley, D.V.M.
August 7th, 2011, 9:35 PM
I would suspect allergy to be the cause of the chewing. Flea allergic dermatitis and/or inhalant allergy would be on the top of my list. Check very closely for the presence of fleas. Part the hair at the base of the tail and examine closely for black debris or fleas themselves. I would have problem treated by a veterinarian before secondary infection becomes an issue.

dawglover
August 8th, 2011, 11:51 AM
My dog was chewing himself crazy. We had all his teeth removed and it sovled the problem. He still chews but can't do any damage to himself anymore. He's funny to watch too. He learned to like soup. :)

SamBrown
August 8th, 2011, 9:08 PM
dawglover, that is NOT funny. I am picturing your poor dog with no teeth............

dawglover
August 9th, 2011, 10:37 AM
dawglover, that is NOT funny. I am picturing your poor dog with no teeth............

Take it easy Sam - Geeze. All my dog have all their teeth. It was obviously a joke. I am a big time dog lover and I spoil my dogs rotten. I love dogs and I despise animal cruelty and anyone who is cruel to animals. Anyone that has followed my posts on CTT knows that.

Night Owl
August 9th, 2011, 11:04 AM
Hey dawg at least you won't be sued for your pups gumming someone.:)

dawglover
August 9th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Hey dawg at least you won't be sued for your pups gumming someone.:)

Yeah, but it sure puts them at a disadvantage in a dog fight.:))

SamBrown
August 9th, 2011, 7:45 PM
Take it easy Sam - Geeze. All my dog have all their teeth. It was obviously a joke. I am a big time dog lover and I spoil my dogs rotten. I love dogs and I despise animal cruelty and anyone who is cruel to animals. Anyone that has followed my posts on CTT knows that.
And I know it, too... just had to be ornry back at ya........;):bluerofl