PDA

View Full Version : HOW GOOD WILL COVE BE - AGAIN?

dawglover
August 3rd, 2011, 10:05 AM
How good will the perpetual Copperas Cove Bulldawg football dynasty be this year? Who can beat them? Anyone?

cnjbond
August 3rd, 2011, 10:26 AM
Yep, good enough to win their district, go into the playoffs and then choke in the big one...if they make it that far. Yes, the trash talk has begun!!!

Ludwig
August 3rd, 2011, 11:12 AM
Humble pie is in the oven and will be gleefully served whenever the opportunity arises.

cnjbond
August 3rd, 2011, 1:50 PM
I'm a Cowboy fan, I've acquired quite the taste for humble pie!

Night Owl
August 3rd, 2011, 6:37 PM
Cove will beat ALL the Killeen schools they play again.

onetime
August 3rd, 2011, 7:03 PM
Copperas Cove beat three of the Killeen Schools by a combined score of 157-29. So Cove will be good relatively speaking in the district that they are in, with that said Cove and Welch (Best recruiter in the area) had an unusual early exit in the playoffs last year getting "punked" in the 1st round of the playoffs 48-14. I have a feeling that Welch will rally the troops and they will go as far as that QB of theirs takes them.

In response to bond, they have not won the district in a couple of years. I could be mistaken, but I think Consol has had their number in that period.

Is that QB they have is as good as advertised, better then Griffin III???

Night Owl
August 4th, 2011, 7:01 AM
What do you call Killen teams when Cove comes to town. A drum waiting for a beating.

dawglover
August 4th, 2011, 9:16 AM
Cove will beat ALL the Killeen schools they play again.

But of course. Who could doubt that? :)

dawglover
August 4th, 2011, 9:17 AM
What do you call Killen teams when Cove comes to town?

LOSERS!!!

RooDawg
August 4th, 2011, 9:51 AM
What do you call Killen teams when Cove comes to town. A drum waiting for a beating.

LOSERS!!!

It sucks that we in KISD have to take that...but its our own undoing (along with Welch's doing)...I have to continue to live in the past until this can get rectified...oh, the days when the Bulldogs couldnt win 5 games in a season and was everyone's homecoming game...

CenTexDave
August 4th, 2011, 10:08 AM
Cove is favored to win the district in all major publications/media. Will they? I have no idea.
The QB is Orlando Thomas. He was forced into that position last year as the starting QB got hurt before the season started. A former RB/WR, all he did was run wild and make All-State Hon Mention and All-District. He was not a good passer at all, but with that RB tandem they had (Randolph and that FB) he was dangerous. Randolph is gone to Texas A&M. The FB returns. Forget his name, but he broke the school record for longest TD run - 98 yards. No, not as good as Griffin.
How far Cove goes will depend on their offensive line. It's been years since they've had some real huge guys up front.

onetime
August 4th, 2011, 1:12 PM
Cove is favored to win the district in all major publications/media. Will they? I have no idea.
The QB is Orlando Thomas. He was forced into that position last year as the starting QB got hurt before the season started. A former RB/WR, all he did was run wild and make All-State Hon Mention and All-District. He was not a good passer at all, but with that RB tandem they had (Randolph and that FB) he was dangerous. Randolph is gone to Texas A&M. The FB returns. Forget his name, but he broke the school record for longest TD run - 98 yards. No, not as good as Griffin.
How far Cove goes will depend on their offensive line. It's been years since they've had some real huge guys up front.

With that said Centex Dave I do not see Cove getting over the hump, and predict they will be a big spark in no fire in a relatively weak district.

The better question or poll would be to rank the HS recruiting classes in the area

1. Cove Freshman A
2. Cove Freshman B
3. Cove Freshman C
4. Harker Heights Freshman
5. Cove Freshman D
6. Ellison
7. Killeen
8. Shoe

Night Owl
August 4th, 2011, 1:53 PM
That looks like a good ranking to me. I might move Cove D above HH Fish.

CenTexDave
August 4th, 2011, 2:54 PM
The district has gotten weaker the past few years. Belton had a nice run while Ash was QB and, before that, Ramonce Taylor at RB. If the Killeen schools and Temple would return to form it would be powerful district again. Waco is gone, never to return to 5-A as families fled the city. Midway is the result of that.
Looks like it will most likely be A&M Conso and Cove fighting it out for the championship.
We'll know a lot about how good Cove is right at the beginning of the year when they take on Southlake Carroll up at Southlake. Cove beat them last year; I'm sure they're planning a big payback.

DiamondKing
August 4th, 2011, 4:42 PM
When is the last time a Cove's Varsity football team lost to a KISD school? Also when will be the next time? 5 years? 10 years? 20 years? Never?

RooDawg
August 4th, 2011, 5:06 PM
Copperas Cove loss to Ellison in 1998 43-17...that was the last Cove loss to a KISD team...great guess on the next loss...

dawglover
August 4th, 2011, 8:37 PM
Copperas Cove loss to Ellison in 1998 43-17...that was the last Cove loss to a KISD team...great guess on the next loss...

...and even that came after a long run (years) of Cove wins. Let's face it. Cove is a football dynasty.

onetime
August 4th, 2011, 9:01 PM
Were the buffalo bills of the 90s a dynasty? How about the eagles during the earlier part of last decade? How about the jazz during the late 90s? Or the jets the last two years? Dawg I guess your a lovable loser if so. Because none of these teams along with cove have won jack last I checked. Cove has been good over the last 13 to 14 years but go across the state of Texas and see just how many one hs districts are good. Factor in the recruits they bring in and the coaches eeer lawn maintenance which out number most staffs by three fold and I guess you could say they've done alright for themselves. They have a good track and football program aside from that they are average.

Schools like boerne champion, lake Travis, cedar hill, manage to do it in multiple sports. Killeen has had a good run in many years as well.

RooDawg
August 4th, 2011, 10:39 PM
Were the buffalo bills of the 90s a dynasty? How about the eagles during the earlier part of last decade? How about the jazz during the late 90s? Or the jets the last two years? Dawg I guess your a lovable loser if so. Because none of these teams along with cove have won jack last I checked. Cove has been good over the last 13 to 14 years but go across the state of Texas and see just how many one hs districts are good. Factor in the recruits they bring in and the coaches eeer lawn maintenance which out number most staffs by three fold and I guess you could say they've done alright for themselves. They have a good track and football program aside from that they are average.

Schools like boerne champion, lake Travis, cedar hill, manage to do it in multiple sports. Killeen has had a good run in many years as well.

I have to agree here...Cove is excellent at football and really good at track right now...there is no questioning that...Cove, I will say, has a productive girls basketball program although they were really good several years ago and havent really gotten back to that...but a dynasty? not sure i can agree with that statement...even if you relegate it to just football...Cove beats everyone in this area (which, is that really saying much)...they had a good couple of runs to the state title several years ago (in my opinion should have at least won one title)...but a dynasty? When people think of high school football in the state of Texas Copperas Cove does not come out of people's minds...let's see, Odessa Permian, Plano, Southlake Carroll, Highland Park, those are teams that come to mind first when i think of big schools...small schools make me think of Cuero, Mart, Giddings, and i dont even pay attention to small schools but i remember those names...

Cove beats up on the teams in this area...I am interested to see what their record is against teams outside the area over a period of time...and i dont mean against poor teams...i mean against high quality teams like they are trying to get on their schedule now...

dawglover
August 5th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Cove has been good over the last 13 to 14 years but go across the state of Texas and see just how many one hs districts are good. Factor in the recruits they bring in and the coaches eeer lawn maintenance which out number most staffs by three fold and I guess you could say they've done alright for themselves. They have a good track and football program aside from that they are average.

What do you $#@!^&*! mean the Dawgs are average? Come to Cove and say that buddy!!!! :bringit:bringit:bringit

Night Owl
August 5th, 2011, 10:38 AM
If Cove is average what does that make the Killeen schools?:)

onetime
August 5th, 2011, 11:25 AM
What do you $#@!^&*! mean the Dawgs are average? Come to Cove and say that buddy!!!! :bringit:bringit:bringit

The DAWGS are average on the state level, sure they beat up on the locals but the locals have talent in some areas (Ellison and Heights) and enjoy getting the stuffing beat out of them.

They are not Denton Ryan, Denton Guyer, Steele, Lake Travis, Kerville Tivy, or Allen. They do well, and they get there kids in colleges which I have to say I admire about old welch.

All of the other Killeen schools combined probably do not match a single Cove class which is saying alot. They develop their kids.

DiamondKing
August 5th, 2011, 11:31 AM
KISD probably could not combine into 1 team and beat Cove. They reasons why are to multiple to type.

CenTexDave
August 5th, 2011, 3:18 PM
Well, let's see. Don't get me going on Dawg Ball. From 2005-2009 they were pretty dominant. No, didn't win State, but 2 championship game appearances, a loss in the state semis, and a loss in the regional finals. Until 1998 they hadn't been in the playoffs since Eisenhower was sitting in The White House. All they did that year was beat the #4 ranked team in the state in Arlington Lamar in the first round, blew Irving Nimitz out of Texas Stadium in round #2, and finally lost to the eventual state champ in Midland Lee who had a RB by the name of Cedric Benson. That team produced 4 players who went onto the NFL - Tillman, Duff, Holllowell and Hodges. Only Tillman remains as he has been a very good CB for the Chicago Bears. Plenty of players went onto play in college at Div 1. Prior to that Williams Fields and James Richey made it to the pros.
Steele a powerhouse??:)) Last year they were. Haven't done much before that. Want a state powerhouse program, look no further than Brownwood and Stephenville, 3-A and 4-A respectively, but ruled those classifications for many years.
Southlake Carroll and Katy would probably be the last powerhouse programs. Multiple championships, and SLC did it in 4-A, went to 5-A and continued doing it.
Yep, agree with a previous post. They should have won at least one of those championship games. if you were at either of them you left shaking your head. It was theirs to win. The OC is a moron.

onetime
August 5th, 2011, 5:18 PM
Well, let's see. Don't get me going on Dawg Ball. From 2005-2009 they were pretty dominant. No, didn't win State, but 2 championship game appearances, a loss in the state semis, and a loss in the regional finals. Until 1998 they hadn't been in the playoffs since Eisenhower was sitting in The White House. All they did that year was beat the #4 ranked team in the state in Arlington Lamar in the first round, blew Irving Nimitz out of Texas Stadium in round #2, and finally lost to the eventual state champ in Midland Lee who had a RB by the name of Cedric Benson. That team produced 4 players who went onto the NFL - Tillman, Duff, Holllowell and Hodges. Only Tillman remains as he has been a very good CB for the Chicago Bears. Plenty of players went onto play in college at Div 1. Prior to that Williams Fields and James Richey made it to the pros.
Steele a powerhouse??:)) Last year they were. Haven't done much before that. Want a state powerhouse program, look no further than Brownwood and Stephenville, 3-A and 4-A respectively, but ruled those classifications for many years.
Southlake Carroll and Katy would probably be the last powerhouse programs. Multiple championships, and SLC did it in 4-A, went to 5-A and continued doing it.
Yep, agree with a previous post. They should have won at least one of those championship games. if you were at either of them you left shaking your head. It was theirs to win. The OC is a moron.

FOUR AAAA SCHOOL WITH BIG FIVE AAAAA NUMBERS ENOUGH SAID SIR

I wonder if Killeen Ellison could win if they were three AAA?

onetime
August 5th, 2011, 5:20 PM

Steele would have won three maybe four consecutive state championships had another school not won them all

RooDawg
August 5th, 2011, 10:25 PM
Steele would have won three maybe four consecutive state championships had another school not won them all

not sure who really said this line...onetime or Yogi Berra...

onetime
August 5th, 2011, 10:29 PM
That's funny

jack
August 6th, 2011, 7:43 AM
ove has a system that feeds players to the varsity team . It gets the most from the players that are there. Great coaching on all levels. Many assistant coaches go to other head coaching jobs. Welsh is a motivator. Great system. Most areas would love their success

CenTexDave
August 6th, 2011, 9:14 AM
Very doubtful that Ellison would win big in 3-A. I remember when they were a state power, but that was way back in 1998. They were ranked #1 that year, snapped Austin Westlake's big 30+ game win streak, blew Cove out (last win by a Killeen school over Cove), then lost in the first round of the playoffs. :))

onetime
August 6th, 2011, 11:51 AM
Centex obviously you don't keep up with 3a ball the average program is maybe 120 to 160 kids deep. Ellison on the other hand has almost the amount in there freshman class.

So with over 350 kids to choose from I think Ellison would be a three power house with 5a numbers as cove did a few years ago only in 4a

dawglover
August 7th, 2011, 9:19 AM
I think Ellison would be a three power house with 5a numbers as cove did a few years ago only in 4a

Heeeeyyy!!! Are you kidding? Cove was a powerhouse in both 4A and 5A. They still are. ...And yes, they match up with and on any given day can beat any other football team in Texas. The Dawgs are truly a powerhouse high football team. They are always in the hunt for a state championship no matter what division they are in..

onetime
August 7th, 2011, 9:25 AM
They were a powerhouse in 4A but they are only an above average team in 5A.

EX powerhouses - dangerfield, lake Travis, teams that expect to win and usually do.

cnjbond
August 27th, 2011, 9:41 AM
What happened to the Bulldogs last night? The last time I checked they were winning and then I see the news this morning that they lost...how the heck did THAT happen?

CenTexDave
August 27th, 2011, 11:31 AM
I didn't listen to it, but checked the 10PM news and the sports showed they were winning 28-17 in the 4th quarter. Then they must have decided the game was over. SLC promptly decided to start playing defense and stopped the Dawgs on two consecutive possessions. From what I read, Cove decided to get cute and try and throw the ball. Multiple incompletions and they had to punt. Orlando Thomas is a running QB, and still can't pass. Think he was something like 6 of 14 for 45 yards passing, but he and the RB, Brandon Hamilton, ran for 440 yards.
But give them a little credit - SLC is ranked in the Top 10 and had the majority of last year's team back that went three round deep in the playoffs. Obviously Cove has to find a passing game. Maybe a defense too. :))

CenTexDave
August 27th, 2011, 11:34 AM
They were a powerhouse in 4A but they are only an above average team in 5A.

EX powerhouses - dangerfield, lake Travis, teams that expect to win and usually do.

Are you really serious? Since 1998 missed the playoffs once, and that due more to the team's attitude toward the QB (hint - QB was coach's kid and was given too much favoritism). I wouldn't exactly call a team that went to a regional finals, two state championship games and a state semi not a powerhouse. No, they're not like Euless Trinity or Katy, but nevertheless a good program.

CenTexDave
August 27th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Centex obviously you don't keep up with 3a ball the average program is maybe 120 to 160 kids deep. Ellison on the other hand has almost the amount in there freshman class.

So with over 350 kids to choose from I think Ellison would be a three power house with 5a numbers as cove did a few years ago only in 4a

I follow Brownwood a lot. Not a bad program. What, something like 6 state championships in a row at one time?

lovinlife
August 27th, 2011, 3:07 PM
I was at the game...penalties and mistakes killed us. Orlando was actually passing much better than last year, there were several passes spot on that the receivers didn't catch. One would have been a touchdown. We also had a couple of touchdowns and a long run called back due to penalties. It was frustrating to watch. But...after SLC's first score, Cove was ahead the entire game. SLC tied it up in the 4th quarter and then got the TD for the win with about 35 seconds left. Of course, we helped them down the field with penalties. I read somewhere that both teams racked up over 100 yards in penalties last night...crazy!! :rolleyes But...we're gonna go to Waco next week and take care of business!!!:)

onetime
August 28th, 2011, 12:16 AM
ROOS 1-0
COVE DUDS, ELLISON UGLES, HEIGHTS KNITS, AND LOSSMAKER GRAY HOUNDS 0-4

GOOD JOB ROOS

CenTexDave
August 28th, 2011, 7:46 AM
I'll take a loss to the number 9 team in the state. It was a high scoring affair.
I note the Roos don't ever play the Dawgs anymore in pre-district play. Why's that?? Care to take a few guesses?? :))

onetime
August 28th, 2011, 9:02 AM
I'll take a loss to the number 9 team in the state. It was a high scoring affair.
I note the Roos don't ever play the Dawgs anymore in pre-district play. Why's that?? Care to take a few guesses?? :))

I think its due to the cost benefit analysis, it is just cheaper for the KISD schools to play each other rather then other schools. I believe that killeen hasn't played a four game pre-district schedule in some time.

DiamondKing
August 28th, 2011, 10:21 AM
Killeen has 5 non-district games this year and has for the last several years.

CenTexDave
August 28th, 2011, 6:53 PM
So much of that cost benefit analysis. :))
Cove packs the visitor's side, last time I was at Leo Buckley they had to let Cove fans sit on the home side. Pretty sad really.

jimbob
August 29th, 2011, 7:31 AM
Cove doesn't win every game, but the coaches and players give maximum effort. That counts for success over the long haul. Every year they produce quality teams, and that spells "program."

kantwin
August 29th, 2011, 8:00 AM
Cove doesn't win every game, but the coaches and players give maximum effort.
Unlike every other team out there. . . <end sarcasm>

CenTexDave
August 29th, 2011, 9:45 AM
We have Waco Friday night. At Bulldawg North - Waco ISD Stadium.
Waco had a good game Friday - a RB that got over 300 yards. Think we need Tanner Brock back. :))

Ludwig
August 29th, 2011, 10:42 AM
I suspect that the dogs will not be wagging their tails after this game.

CenTexDave
August 29th, 2011, 1:01 PM
Don't agree. While the defense gave up 38 points, Cove ran for 441 yards, had at least two beautiful passes dropped that would have been TD's. Cove should win, and while against Waco it hardly ever is an offensive explosion, Cove will wear them down. 28-20, Dawgs.

jimbob
August 29th, 2011, 2:58 PM
No trash talking here. Waco is for real and so are the 'Dawgs. Should be a great game and get both teams better prepared for district play. Playing quality teams like these, helps both get better.

dawglover
August 29th, 2011, 4:19 PM
It doesn't count if your playing a team of the pee wee league caliber like the Roo's did. Cove played a high scoring game against the #9 team in the state and it was a very high scoring affair. Plus, but for two dropped passes that should have been touch downs, Cove would have one the game. Comparing the Roos to the Dawgs is like is like comparing a music box monkey with King Kong. :)):))

dawglover
August 29th, 2011, 4:20 PM
No trash talking here. Waco is for real and so are the 'Dawgs. Should be a great game and get both teams better prepared for district play. Playing quality teams like these, helps both get better.

I agree except for the trash talk. We're going to talk some trash. :)):)):):)

cnjbond
August 29th, 2011, 4:23 PM
It doesn't count if your playing a team of the pee wee league caliber like the Roo's did. Cove played a high scoring game against the #9 team in the state and it was a very high scoring affiar. Comparing the Roos to the Dawgs is like is like comparing a music box monkey with King Kong. :)):))
I gotta admit, that was pretty funny but your Dawgs seem to be earning that title of "Choke Artists"...:thumbsup

Night Owl
August 30th, 2011, 7:08 AM
Every team in KISD wishes they were the choke artists the "dawgs are. At least they get to the game.

cnjbond
August 30th, 2011, 9:22 AM
You might be right, and I'm sure everyone wanted to be the Buffalo Bills of the 90's too...

Night Owl
August 30th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Bills - Boy I Love Losing Superbowls. What other team in NFL history can say they got to the big game 4 years in a roll? None. Just because they lost them does not mean they were a bad team.

cnjbond
August 30th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Bills - Boy I Love Losing Superbowls. What other team in NFL history can say they got to the big game 4 years in a roll? None. Just because they lost them does not mean they were a bad team.
There's no arguing their talent but they are more known for losing four superbowls in a row than making it to them. Find a Bills fan and ask them about those Super Bowls, the first thing they'll do is drop their heads and then say a few expletives but I bet none of them will say how happy they are that the Bills made it to four SBs in a row...well they may say it, but not sure if I'd believe it!

Cove won't really be known for how talented they are but for not being able to translate that talent into a state championship...unless they win one of course. I like ribbing Dave and Dawglover about the dawgs because it's all in good nature and although it may not seem like it, I really do pull for them in the playoffs.

CenTexDave
August 30th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Oh, I'm well aware of their shortcomings in the big games. Someone wins; someone loses.

lovinlife
August 30th, 2011, 7:47 PM
No offense here...but I think cnjbond is the only one hung up on Cove not winning the big one! LOL :rolleyes

cnjbond
August 30th, 2011, 8:48 PM
No offense here...but I think cnjbond is the only one hung up on Cove not winning the big one! LOL :rolleyes
No offense taken...;)