PDA

View Full Version : Dental Hygiene

Firecracker
August 2nd, 2011, 12:32 PM
I had three Pekingese, I had to put two of them down due to gum decease problems that got out of control. I'm really hopping to save the third one, who or what is the best approach to use in order to prevent this problem with my third Pekingese? The other two were pure, pure, pure Pekingese, the third one is not so pure.
Thanks in advance for any help provided. 

siamcat
August 2nd, 2011, 2:54 PM
Your vet should offer teeth cleanings. They're not cheap, but better then losing your dog.
You can also brush their teeth and they have treats for tartar control.
Good luck.

Brad Buckley, D.V.M.
August 2nd, 2011, 3:38 PM
Professional teeth cleanings followed by aggressive home care should help you with the problem. Small dogs typically have more severe dental disease than large dogs and therefore require a more proactive approach to treatment and prevention.

Good dental cleanings involve anesthetizing the dog, scaling the teeth, polishing the enamel, evaluating teeth, gums and the entire oral cavity and extracting or attempting to restore damaged or diseased teeth. Just like with humans, it is easier to prevent problems than it is to fix problems once they have started.

See your veterinarian about dental services. Fees vary but our routine teeth cleaning packages run about $220 and include pre-anesthetic blood testing, anesthesia and monitoring, cleaning, polishing, flouride treatment, simple extractions and pain control medications. Complicated extractions and restorative procedures are additional and vary greatly depending on the circumstance. I also like to give dogs with severe dental disease oral antibiotics for a few days prior to and a few days after the procedure.

I wish you good luck.

FieryPrincess
August 2nd, 2011, 6:25 PM
Dr Buckley,

What is your opinion on things like the dentistix? We got a young dog in April and as part of her bedtime routine, she goes in the kennel and gets a dentistik before we close the crate for the night. My daughter taught our other dog to tolerate actually having his teeth brushed by her.

Do you feel that sort of practice can stretch the time between dental cleanings? Do you recommend some sort of cleaning schedule?

Brad Buckley, D.V.M.
August 2nd, 2011, 8:38 PM
I think many dental treats can be very helpful and can increase the time in between professional cleanings. I really don't have a favorite treat I just think you have to try a few and use the one that your dog likes best. In general, small breed dogs will need their teeth cleaned more often than large breed dogs. Rely on your veterinarian to guide you in the right direction. I also find that some dogs just have more dental problems than others just like what occurs with people.

spedkiddos
August 3rd, 2011, 6:09 PM
Call Belton Vet Clinic on loop 121, I found they were the cheapest place when I had my smaller dog's teeth cleaned. It was about a year or so ago, so I may be wrong on the price but I want to say it was $100, that was with extracting a tooth.

Brad Buckley, D.V.M.
August 4th, 2011, 1:19 PM
Please remember to ask lots questions if price shopping over the phone for veterinary services. When it comes to procedures such as dental cleanings and extractions, it is imperative that proper anesthetic screening and assessment be performed to mitigate as much risk as possible. Furthermore, not every patient needs the same type of anesthesia. Factors such as age, breed, health status and concurrent disease can drasticallly alter the anesthetic protocol for a pet.

Be an educated and informed consumer of such services. Call the doctor that your interested in having perform the procedure and ask all the important questions. Then select the best option for your dog's needs.

Ludwig
August 4th, 2011, 1:58 PM
... Then select the best option for your dog's needs.

I fear, however, people often select the option that is best for their bank account rather than their loving, totally dependent pet.

Night Owl
August 4th, 2011, 2:14 PM
Some pet owners may do that but my pups are like my kids and nothing is too good for them.