PDA

View Full Version : Ice cubes harmful to dogs - Fact or fiction?

poundpup
July 25th, 2011, 9:29 PM
http://www.examiner.com/la-in-los-angeles/ice-cubes-harmful-for-your-dog?do_not_mobile_redirect=1

Dr. Buckley, what is your opinion on this? Does feeding ice cubes to your dogs expose them to the dangers of Bloat?

engteach64
July 26th, 2011, 10:03 AM
Hmmm...My dogs have eaten ice cubes forever, and it has never hurt them. Isn't it just like drinking water? My dog drinks out of my swimming pool, so I don't see how ice cubes will hurt him. I await the response.

THEMEANOGRE
July 26th, 2011, 10:17 AM
I would speculate that ice would have a similar effect on canines that it has on humans. When allowed to become over heated a person that tries to cool off quickly by the ingestion of iced beverages can run the risk of suffering a cardiac incident.

CenTexDave
July 26th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Thank you, Dr. Ogre, DVM.

Brad Buckley, D.V.M.
July 26th, 2011, 1:56 PM
I think there are many factors that contribute to bloat (or GDV). I have never seen anything other than anecdotal evidence that ice cubes or ice cubes in water contribute in any way to increasing the chance of bloat. I think in the story in the link provided that other factors are at play. These dogs are show dogs that have the stresses and strains associated with that endeavor. There is also a known breed and body type correlation that is well known as it relates to bloat and the risk of bloat.

I think consistent and scheduled feeding of a quality and highly digestible food along with providing adequate amounts of fresh water that is readily and consistently available is an important factor in preventing bloat. Ice cubes are not necessary to manage heat related events in dogs just keeping their environment cool, shaded and their activity limited in extreme heat is important.

Saw this on a vet clinic sign in Austin this weekend.....

Heat stroke is not a joke
Water, water, water

Simple but to the point.

spedkiddos
July 26th, 2011, 6:54 PM
Let's hope this is not true! ::) My girl LOEVS ice... In the summer I fills the water bowl outside with water and ice. If I leave Cane outside after I put ice water, I will have to fill it up again... She will dig and scratch the ice out and then will put her face in up to her eyes to get a cube... She also comes running when we get ice out of the ice maker.

dragonfly
July 26th, 2011, 6:58 PM
She also comes running when we get ice out of the ice maker.

LOL, mine too!
I thought for a moment today after reading this, but I still gave in and gave them their "treat".

Iteachtoo
July 26th, 2011, 7:26 PM
I had a dog growing up that would not drink her water without ice in it, she had been raised at a gas station where they had taught her how to drink out of the water fountain. When we got her she would drink nothing except VERY cold water.:)

SamBrown
July 26th, 2011, 7:51 PM
I put ice in the water bucket throughout the summer as our tab water is way more than luke warm at this time of year. None of mine like ice straight. They do drink huge amounts of water when its so hot, even though all three are "air condition babies". :07:

Scarlett
July 26th, 2011, 7:56 PM
My mom has to use the child lock on the freezer door ice dispenser cause her dog will go hit it with his nose until ice spits out across the floor...then he will go eat them up! Not that bad of a thing...except if one gets away from him and melts and you walk through the kitchen in sock feet....

poundpup
July 26th, 2011, 8:50 PM
I am so glad, and thank you, Dr. Buckley for your sane comments. My dogs all LOVE their morning ice. After breakfast (I feed twice a day) I fill one large salad bowl full of ice and they all take turns crunching away until it's all gone. Ice cubes are their treats... They get them as rewards or against boredom (puppies love scooting the cubes across the tile :)) I will continue this practice, since it has proven practical and successful for many years.

Sloane Peterson
July 26th, 2011, 10:34 PM
My boxer loves ice and goes after them like she is dunking for apples. It's adorable and with how hot it is, I know I find myself getting a cup of ice and I don't have a fur coat :))

JoAnn Purser
July 28th, 2011, 9:28 AM
Would this be considered an addiction?

Night Owl
July 28th, 2011, 9:39 AM
Yes it would.:)

Pumpkingirl
July 28th, 2011, 4:02 PM
Our baby loves ice and chases it all over the kitchen floor, she now has taken to an afternoon nap in her little pool (we keep her in the house from 10-5...TOO HOT) but when we get a bit of shade in the backyard we fill up her pool and she plays for a while and then dozes off in it. It freaks my husband out because he is afraid she is going to fall asleep and drown (UGH).1737

dawglover
July 29th, 2011, 11:02 AM
If ice were bad for dogs I wouldn't have dogs because all ours dogs love ice, especially to cool down. My dogs are always well cared for. We spend a small fortune on them because they bring us so much joy. We really really love them a lot. They are family. They have also always had limited access to ice and they have lived long happy lives with ice in their lives. They really live a happy life, especially our pups shown in picture below.

dawglover
July 29th, 2011, 11:30 AM
Would this be considered an addiction?

We had an English Bull dog that loved ice just like yours. When she died I was so heartbroken I went out and bought another bulldog (in my picture above). He is an Olde English Bull Doggie. Our research and consultation with vets determined they live longer and are generally much healthier then English Bulldogs. They cut vet bills nearly in half because English Bulldogs ordinarily have a lot of heath issues. We spent over $5000 in vet bills over 9 years on our English bulldog. She was worth every penny but still, that’s a lot of money for just one dog. Olde English Bull Doggies have the same wonderful friendly disposition as English Bulldogs without those health issues. Unfortunately, they cost as much or more then English Bulldogs to buy - ouch! One thing is for sure - English bulldogs are great pets and I absolutely love yours Joann. That is a great picture. What a gorgeous English Bulldog you have.

P.S. Pugs are great dogs too.

engteach64
August 4th, 2011, 4:32 PM
My chow used to love ice. She would eat it as fast as I could drop it on the floor or in her water. My beagles like ice, but don't eat it as much anymore since they've gotten older. It is funny watching dogs chase ice across the floor.