PDA

View Full Version : second Chance Animal Shelter

stig
April 15th, 2009, 9:47 AM
This just happened this morning. Two dogs were wondering around out where I work and Were taked to Second Chance. They were not going to take them. A donation was mentioned and all of a sudden they would take them. No wonder Second Chance is getting a bad reputation. If this is how they operate I wonder what the facilities look like. To bad that the poeple wirking there are worried mor about money that taking in an helping the animals. Which is what I thought they are there for.

christine
April 15th, 2009, 3:10 PM
Its sad but that's how a lot of the shelters are having to look at things. a lot of them like second chance rely mainly on donations & with the economy the way it is people are less prone to give to charity.

Night Owl
April 15th, 2009, 3:54 PM
I guess we need to start killing strays instead of giving them a second chance.

CenTexDave
April 15th, 2009, 8:52 PM
This place was a hot topic on "the other forum" a few months ago. It was pretty well established they are run by morons and their policies are consistent with their management.

Proud Texan
April 16th, 2009, 3:36 AM
This place was a hot topic on "the other forum" a few months ago. It was pretty well established they are run by morons and their policies are consistent with their management.

Yes in fact I stated something to that affect and I was flat out called a LIAR. I talked to someone else that tried to take four kittens there and they were told 75 dollars per kitten, they negotiated that down to 75 for all four.

Night Owl
April 16th, 2009, 7:49 AM
So they use extortion. Like I posted earlier, it is time to start shooting strays. There second chance is when you miss with the first shot!

Scarlett
April 16th, 2009, 10:12 AM
They wanted YOU to PAY $75 to drop off strays? I would have just left the little things in front of their gate I guess.

bytem
April 16th, 2009, 3:37 PM
They wanted YOU to PAY $75 to drop off strays? I would have just left the little things in front of their gate I guess.

Wow, thats pretty low! Thats like putting yourself on the same level with those morons at Second Chance.

Scarlett
April 16th, 2009, 10:59 PM
Ummm...what would you have someone do with them if I didn't have $75 each for the fee? I sure as hell wouldn't be able to keep them! Nor do I know anyone who could! I was thinking if they were outside the gate, then the shelter would take 'em in. My bad. Guess it is best to leave 'em on a busy street corner? Pretend I never saw the strays in the first place? WTFEVA.
(One should never refer to me in any way as a "moron." I tend to cast spells with no warning...lol.)

reader
April 17th, 2009, 4:36 AM
Wow, thats pretty low! Thats like putting yourself on the same level with those morons at Second Chance.

Don't be calling Scarlet "low", now...her friends might have to hurt you...;):-)

CenTexDave
April 17th, 2009, 6:02 AM
That's pretty good, bytem. You've been a member of this forum now for about one whole month, have 4 whole posts, and just managed to piss everyone off. Congrats. You sure make friends easily.

Rick
April 17th, 2009, 8:59 AM
Oh come on Dave, of those four posts, two were about looking for a dentist, and one saying something good about beer and then the one here.

I say that's about normal...LOL

6pack
April 17th, 2009, 9:03 AM
I don't understand how the whole adoption process works...this past Mon. we went their to see if they had a dog we could adopt and we saw one. My husband and I inquired about it and the lady told me that the puppy wasn't available yet because it hadn''t seen the vet. I asked when will that be, and she said Thurs. I also then asked what is the process and she tells me that everyone in the family including any other dogs we had needed to spend time with the animal to see if they were compatible and pay $120 and it was a 1st come, 1st serve basis. That sounded pretty fair. She then told me to call on Thurs. around noon because that is when the vet would see the animal and it would get neutered (sp?). My husband called around noon and the vet had not been there yet, so I call at 3 as soon as my last student leaves, and was told that he had ALREADY been adopted! Within 3 hrs. the animal was checked out by a vet, neutered, and had bonded with a family. Does that seem possible? This was my 1st time, so I may not totally understand the whole process.:(

Scarlett
April 17th, 2009, 9:46 AM
I know when my dog got away...the first time...some lady found him and took him to the second chance shelter. I had called the Killeen Shelter and reported him missing. The second chance shelter had called the Killeen Shelter to report his being turned in to them. Killeen Shelter then called me to tell me where I could find him.
SOOO, I am grateful that they did the right thing for me and Oscar!

CenTexDave
April 17th, 2009, 10:35 AM
6pack's comlaint seems to be a recurring one. On "that other forum" other people stated the same thing.
The previous complaints centered around staffers that had no idea what was going on, being lied to, etc.
Guess the place hasn't changed.

6pack
April 17th, 2009, 10:49 AM
OOPs wrong "their", I meant there, sorry!

Night Owl
April 17th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Someone got there with their $120 first. BTW what kind of dog was it?

6pack
April 17th, 2009, 11:16 AM
it was a lil brown/black dachshund. Their hours are not worker friendly either. They are opened 12-5, where a lot of people are at work. :(

Night Owl
April 17th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Scarlett was it you? I know you just got a new puppy and now you might be looking for another. :):):)

Dachshunds are very popular and I am sure 2nd Chance had someone waiting in the wings for this little guy.

skipster
April 17th, 2009, 11:56 AM
I also had that problem with second chance. I found a dog I wanted to adopt, but my pup and her were not getting along. The dog was not be able to be adopted at that time because she was nursing puppies. So I had time to work with my dog getting to know her. They said one of the reasons they were not getting along was my dog was not neutered. I really wanted this dog so I told them I would get my pup neutered. I asked them if I could put a deposit on the dog to hold her until the surgery was over. My dog had started getting along better with her and I was sure their would be no problem. They told me there was no need to because she would still be nursing the pups and still needed to be spayed. They said come back after his surgery and we wil see how they are getting along

I got my pup neutered went back to second chance to check on the pup and was told they adopted her. I reminded them that they said to get my pup neutered so they would get along better. I offered to pay the fee and you told me not to worry about it that she was going to be there for awhile and no one could adopt her until the pups were weaned and the spay was done. Then they said another family came in loved her, took her home and will get her spayed.

I stayed in touch with second chance the entire time while waiting for the my pup's surgery. Told them when the surgery was. I came by and visited wth the dog and was asuured that I would be able to get this dog. Then they go adopt it out to someone else.

i was a little upset that I spent the money for a surgery I did not need. My pup stays in the house so I don't worry about him making unwanted litters and If I bring a female into the house she gets spayed. It woked out anyway because I got my pup anopther playmate who needed a home.

Night Owl
April 17th, 2009, 12:07 PM
My recommendation is to stay away from 2nd chance. I would never adopt from there.

bytem
April 17th, 2009, 1:41 PM
That's pretty good, bytem. You've been a member of this forum now for about one whole month, have 4 whole posts, and just managed to piss everyone off. Congrats. You sure make friends easily.

I don't care who gets pissed off. I you would consider dumping a helpless animal you ARE low. God forbid you get off your ass and away from your computer and try to make a difference.For how long to you have to be a member and how many posts do you have to have if you wish to voice your opinion?I found the statement about leaving a helpless kitten outside the gates of second chance offensive.There are better ways to deal with such a situation.People these days are dumping their trash,their unwanted animals and their newborns just because they can't be bothered to find a better solution. I am offended by this and I will say so . If that pisses someone off then thats just too bad.Who needs friends like that.

Night Owl
April 17th, 2009, 1:45 PM
I don't guess you give credit that the person actually took the chance to pick up the stray in the first place. I would have dumped the poor little kitten in the river inside a burlap bag. I guess that makes me horrible, doesn't it?:crying:crying

bytem
April 17th, 2009, 1:59 PM
I don't guess you give credit that the person actually took the chance to pick up the stray in the first place. I would have dumped the poor little kitten in the river inside a burlap bag. I guess that makes me horrible, doesn't it?:crying:crying

Yes,it does.My gripe is with the statement made, not how the kitten actually got to be there.

Night Owl
April 17th, 2009, 2:08 PM
Hey at least I wouldn't have dumped the damn cat in front of 2nd chance.

bytem
April 17th, 2009, 2:40 PM
Hey at least I wouldn't have dumped the damn cat in front of 2nd chance.

See,you do have a good side.But seriously,maybe the people at second chance are that way,because they get a lot of animals dumped at the gate,over the fence and so on?

Scarlett
April 17th, 2009, 2:57 PM
NightOwl, my current dog is a beagle, and I am getting him a dachshund tomorrow! I am so excited.

And bytem...I only meant that if a shelter is trying to get over $300 dollars from a concerned citizen to DROP OFF A STRAY, then I have a problem with that. I would have left them by their door, where I know they would have taken them in. Other options, I guess, would be to leave the hypothetical kittens along the road where they were found, dump them in a river, or do what I know my father would have done, and shoot them? (Which, exactly, out of those options, is more "humane" in your book?) Not everyone who FINDS A STRAY has that kind of money laying around to help these little creatures find homes. All I was saying. I certainly had no plans to offend you by saying that. And I am sure you didn't mean to upset anyone by calling me a moron. So all is well! :thumbsup

Rick
April 17th, 2009, 3:08 PM
Out where we live, we have had three stray dogs dumped on our property. On all three occasions, Second Chance took them in without mentioning a word about money.

One of the times, they recognized the dog which had been adopted a few days before and the people who adopted it lived no where near us.

bytem
April 17th, 2009, 3:15 PM
NightOwl, my current dog is a beagle, and I am getting him a dachshund tomorrow! I am so excited.

And bytem...I only meant that if a shelter is trying to get over $300 dollars from a concerned citizen to DROP OFF A STRAY, then I have a problem with that. I would have left them by their door, where I know they would have taken them in. Other options, I guess, would be to leave the hypothetical kittens along the road where they were found, dump them in a river, or do what I know my father would have done, and shoot them? (Which, exactly, out of those options, is more "humane" in your book?) Not everyone who FINDS A STRAY has that kind of money laying around to help these little creatures find homes. All I was saying. I certainly had no plans to offend you by saying that. And I am sure you didn't mean to upset anyone by calling me a moron. So all is well! :thumbsup

If I had to make a choice,I guess shooting would be the most humane if you are a good shot.And yes, they should not be trying to get ANY money from someone who wants to bring in an animal.The person running the show there should be on top of that problem or maybe the problem is coming from the top.Be that as it may, the place certainly seems to have gone downhill in a hurry.And I did not refer to you as a moron, I said "the morons at second chance". Otherwise I would have said"you moron". Sorry if I was unclear.Silly me.:crying

Night Owl
April 17th, 2009, 3:22 PM

The beagle is in for a SURPRISE. The little dachshund will keep him entertained whether he likes it or not. You are going to have some great stories.

FieryPrincess
April 18th, 2009, 7:31 AM
It just turns my stomach to hear some of the second chance stories.

When one of our dogs died, we decided to be a one-dog family. That worked for a month, but our dog was pining away, so I called 2nd Chacne to ask about the adoption process and asked if it was OK to bring my dog so she could pick one out. I was told by the lady that comes across a littel strong that they not only encourage it, they require it.

I head out there with my dog. I explain that my dog is 7 and I do NOT want a puppy. Most of the dogs I was interested in, they told me I couldn't have. I loved when they told me I couldn't have one of the bigger dogs and didn't have a good reason for it. I have grown up around large and willful dogs and they don't bother me at all. They brought out a 5YO old dog (which was close to my dog's age) who was fine with my dog but very shy around me. I was told I shoud come and visit a lot and she would get used to me. Uh....no.

I found a dog that seemed to work well and got her to the door when I was told that one was crazy and we couldn't have her. From the story I was told, I had figured out the issue and it didn't worry me (dealt with that before too), but they insistent.

Finally they tried this little-ish brown dog. It was great. It turns out he was more puppy than not (6 months old). He had been adopted as a puppy but returned to the shelter. He was scared to death to ride in a car.

When we got him home, it was love at first sight for my kids. I did figure out why he had been returned - dang that dog was a chewer! He has grown out of most of it. They tend to. I took him to obedience school (Roomin' and Groomin' still rocks!) and he is a great dog!

He dotes on my daughter and sleeps next to her.

He was a great find.

Again, it just breaks my heart that I hear these other stories about people truly wanting animals and having the pets taken right from under them. Lesson learned: don't tell them much about your family life. I sure didn't bring my kids or husband with me to get our dog.

reader
April 18th, 2009, 9:47 AM
I guess I'm the lone dissenting view here, because I know at least one person that works there, and she is very conscientious. I've taken donations from their wish list to them and they've been gratefully received. I do know it's very expensive to take care of the many medical problems encountered, despite the fact that vets give them a break. They can't take every animal, obviously, but I believe they do a good job under some pretty difficult circumstances. I know others that volunteer there and they speak highly of the young woman I know.
I haven't attempted to adopt a dog from them, so I can't speak to that.

Proud Texan
April 18th, 2009, 12:27 PM
I don't care who gets pissed off. I you would consider dumping a helpless animal you ARE low. God forbid you get off your ass and away from your computer and try to make a difference.For how long to you have to be a member and how many posts do you have to have if you wish to voice your opinion?I found the statement about leaving a helpless kitten outside the gates of second chance offensive.There are better ways to deal with such a situation.People these days are dumping their trash,their unwanted animals and their newborns just because they can't be bothered to find a better solution. I am offended by this and I will say so . If that pisses someone off then thats just too bad.Who needs friends like that.

So what is your address and phone number so when we find strays we can bring them to YOU.

reader
April 18th, 2009, 1:58 PM
So what is your address and phone number so when we find strays we can bring them to YOU.

:thumbsup

Scarlett
April 18th, 2009, 3:44 PM
Ok, PT....that is an excellent plan. I kinda like that...:rose

bytem
April 18th, 2009, 4:15 PM

Sounds like they would be better off if you did.Living close to the lake, I can't even begin to count the times someone dumped a dog or cat on my street. Some of them alive and friendly or very often scared half to death.Sometimes they are dumped dead or you hear a gunshot and later a dead dog is found on the road.Not only is dumping an animal against the law, you have to be real piece of crap to do something like that.Shows what kind of a person you really are, doesn't it.

Scarlett
April 18th, 2009, 10:00 PM
I think, somehow, bytem, you are missing the big picture here. Proud Texas is NOT, by his own admission, "that type" of person. He TRIED to take the strays he found...STRAYS HE FOUND, not pets he dumped....to the shelter and they refused to take them.
THAT IS THE BIG PICTURE HERE. He does not sound, at all, to me, to be some big, bad, animal hater who would abandon his pets.

bytem
April 19th, 2009, 8:58 AM
I think, somehow, bytem, you are missing the big picture here. Proud Texas is NOT, by his own admission, "that type" of person. He TRIED to take the strays he found...STRAYS HE FOUND, not pets he dumped....to the shelter and they refused to take them.
THAT IS THE BIG PICTURE HERE. He does not sound, at all, to me, to be some big, bad, animal hater who would abandon his pets.

I certainly was not trying to suggest that anyone was a big, bad animal hater and would abandon their pets. I was merely trying to explain why I have absolutely no patience with anyone who dumped, or suggested that they would be capable of dumping their pet.I believe such behavior shows us at our lowest, when we have no concern for anything but our own selfishness. But to get back to the point of second chance animal shelter,how about volunteering in some way, IF you have the time. I am sure they could use the help, in whatever form you can offer it. Maybe that would improve things there and in our community in general.Should we not all give SOMETHING back to improve our own lives and all those around us no matter if you live here a year or 50 years.It just seems more productive than just *****ing all the time. And you know there is not just the animal shelter, you could contact APCA,take them to petsmart and find a caring person , but wait, you would have to make an effort, that would never work! It is sooo much easier call the dog catcher or leave them at the gate at second chance.Just to be clear, sometimes the situation requires the dogcatcher,no doubt.I am just saying that MAYBE there are other options than second chance if you care to make the effort.After all they can only handle so much and as I am sure you have noticed, you can not drive down the street without seeing strays.Of course the opinion expressed here is solely my own and is not meant to offend anyone who might not agree with it.;)

Scarlett
April 19th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Petsmart takes strays? I did not know that!
I do agree, it is a good idea to take them to a different shelter if one refuses them.

bytem
April 19th, 2009, 10:16 AM
I do agree, it is a good idea to take them to a different shelter if one refuses them.

Sometimes you used to see people outside petsmart,trying to find homes for pets or their litters is what I was trying to say. I got one of my beloved dogs that way when she was a puppy.A very caring young lady was trying to find a home for her neighbors unwanted 4 month old puppy.She was unbelievably cute but if you ever tried to house-train a black lab you know it takes a lot of patients.The original owner could not do it and tried to take her to second chance,where the dog was refused. This kind woman took it upon herself to help this little pup and that's how I ended up with a very good dog.:-)

Scarlett
April 19th, 2009, 10:18 AM
You are right...I have often seen people outside of Petsmart selling or giving away animals. It is nice that Petsmart allows that. I think if my friend who is trying to sell her car were to just pull up outside of Automax and try to sell it they would not be so understanding?! :thumbsup

FieryPrincess
April 19th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Trying to bring up any lab puppy or any puppy that is even just a part lab is a study in patience.

Both my dogs now are part lab and it is very annoying to live through the long chewing phase.

bytem
April 19th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Trying to bring up any lab puppy or any puppy that is even just a part lab is a study in patience.

Both my dogs now are part lab and it is very annoying to live through the long chewing phase.

I was lucky,this one was not a chewer.Unbelievable for a lab,I know.However she was a digger.She herself never got out,but her adopted mom,a rottie, always did.Luckily they were staying in a dog-pen inside my fenced property and she was just walking around the pasture when I got home.

skipster
April 19th, 2009, 10:43 AM
You are right...I have often seen people outside of Petsmart selling or giving away animals. It is nice that Petsmart allows that. I think if my friend who is trying to sell her car were to just pull up outside of Automax and try to sell it they would not be so understanding?! :thumbsup

Unfortunately this is a violaton of city ordinance and I have heard KPD called out many times for this on the scanner.

Sec. 6-136. Premises; regulations.

It shall be unlawful for any person to sell, trade, lease, rent or give away any live animal on
any roadside, public right-of-way, commercial or private parking lot, or flea market within the
city limits. (Code 1963, Ch. 3, art. 14, § 2 [Ord. No. 69-45, § 2, 9-22-69]; Ord. No. 94-61, § I, 9-
13-94; Ord. No. 02-22, § I, 5-28-02)

bytem
April 19th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Unfortunately this is a violaton of city ordinance and I have heard KPD called out many times for this on the scanner.

Sec. 6-136. Premises; regulations.

It shall be unlawful for any person to sell, trade, lease, rent or give away any live animal on
any roadside, public right-of-way, commercial or private parking lot, or flea market within the
city limits. (Code 1963, Ch. 3, art. 14, § 2 [Ord. No. 69-45, § 2, 9-22-69]; Ord. No. 94-61, § I, 9-
13-94; Ord. No. 02-22, § I, 5-28-02)

:-0 Maybe they will install cameras soon:))

skipster
April 19th, 2009, 11:12 AM

Yes it is and I love my lab. Unfortunately her former owner did not have the patience to raise her. As a result she was abused:hopmad. Instead of having the typical loving and trusting tempermant of a lab, she is shy, fearful and untrusting of people. I had talked to a trainer that had previoulsly worked with this dog and her old owner. The trainer said my pup had been a very typical lab. She was trusting, loving and not fearful.

She is now terrified of everything. The former owner had her spayed to try to change her temperment even the trainer told them it would not help. The trainer told me that the owner was verbally abusive to the dog in class.

My friends that got the dog for me told me the owner was going to kill the dog because she had no value:hopmad. This was based on the fact that she did not do well in training schools, they could no longer show her in AKC shows becose she was spayed nor could she have puppies because she was spayed.

I have given up on trying to get her to relax and accept people. She loves me and trusts me, as far as everybody else is concerned they are a threat. When friends come over she just goes into the hallway and hides. Bless her heart she will come around the corner and check them out but if anyone moves she runs back to her hiding spot. She is the jealous type though. If someone plays with the other puppy she will come over very near to them but if they try to pet her she will run away. She tries to trust people but her fear overwhelms her.

Why do some people have pets if they are not going to love them and take care of them? She is pure lab and had papers showing an excellent lineage, so I am sure she cost some money. I am just glad I got her before she was killed.

bytem
April 19th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Yes it is and I love my lab. Unfortunately her former owner did not have the patience to raise her. As a result she was abused:hopmad. Instead of having the typical loving and trusting tempermant of a lab, she is shy, fearful and untrusting of people. I had talked to a trainer that had previoulsly worked with this dog and her old owner. The trainer said my pup had been a very typical lab. She was trusting, loving and not fearful.

She is now terrified of everything. The former owner had her spayed to try to change her temperment even the trainer told them it would not help. The trainer told me that the owner was verbally abusive to the dog in class.

My friends that got the dog for me told me the owner was going to kill the dog because she had no value:hopmad. This was based on the fact that she did not do well in training schools, they could no longer show her in AKC shows becose she was spayed nor could she have puppies because she was spayed.

I have given up on trying to get her to relax and accept people. She loves me and trusts me, as far as everybody else is concerned they are a threat. When friends come over she just goes into the hallway and hides. Bless her heart she will come around the corner and check them out but if anyone moves she runs back to her hiding spot. She is the jealous type though. If someone plays with the other puppy she will come over very near to them but if they try to pet her she will run away. She tries to trust people but her fear overwhelms her.

Why do some people have pets if they are not going to love them and take care of them? She is pure lab and had papers showing an excellent lineage, so I am sure she cost some money. I am just glad I got her before she was killed.

I am glad your sweet dog found someone as caring as yourself!It's a shame some people see an animal as a commodity, not as a living, feeling creature.

my3dogs
April 21st, 2009, 3:06 PM
I just came across this thread or I would have posted sooner. I am the one who took the kittens, it was 3 kittens and the mamma cat, to 2nd chance. I found the mamma cat as a stray and knew immediately she was preggers, so I figured she would be better off if I took care of her and her kittens until they were old enough to be adopted. I kept them until they were 6 weeks old then I called 2nd chance. I was told I would have to pay 75.00 per cat...and I certainly didn't have 300.00 so I negotiated just the 75.00, all I could afford. I didn't want to take them to the pound as I was afraid they would never make it out. This was also back before Craigslist was popular so I really had no means to find them homes.
A few months ago, my husband took a cat we found as a stray there and they refused to take him. He would have been adoptable, but they refused, whether with or without a donation.
Because of this, we no longer donate to their organization, but I do volunteer for a breed specific rescue group, so I do my part.

MyFoot76541
May 10th, 2009, 9:30 AM
A few months ago, my husband took a cat we found as a stray there and they refused to take him. He would have been adoptable, but they refused, whether with or without a donation.
Because of this, we no longer donate to their organization, but I do volunteer for a breed specific rescue group, so I do my part.

I do not believe this! The Second Chance shelter is a non-profit organization. there are regulations as to the amount of animals per enclosure/sq. ft or whatever - Second Chance is busting out of their seams. They are well over capacity. If they deny taking in an animal it is because they have no room. It is a wise decision on their part. Since January, donations have dropped well below what they need to properly operate, and the money they ask to take in an animal does not cover the expenses they will have resulting from this animal.

I know people at Second Chance personally and they have turned me down when I had strays or trying to help someone find a place to put their pets. While this may not be what I want as a result, it is their prerogative, and I trust that they can judge when they just cannot take in one more and when not.

With funding having dropped as much as it has, it will be a miracle if they can maintain the operation at the level they are at now. I ask you to permit yourself to see both sides of the story, not just yours.

If anyone wants to donate to Second Chance, please go to CentexHumaneSociety.com (http://www.centexhumanesociety.com/) and click on the white cat donation icon. Thank You :)

FieryPrincess
May 10th, 2009, 9:33 AM
Just amazing what bad press and a bad economy can do.

Proud Texan
May 10th, 2009, 12:55 PM
I do not believe this! The Second Chance shelter is a non-profit organization. there are regulations as to the amount of animals per enclosure/sq. ft or whatever - Second Chance is busting out of their seams. They are well over capacity. If they deny taking in an animal it is because they have no room. It is a wise decision on their part. Since January, donations have dropped well below what they need to properly operate, and the money they ask to take in an animal does not cover the expenses they will have resulting from this animal.

I know people at Second Chance personally and they have turned me down when I had strays or trying to help someone find a place to put their pets. While this may not be what I want as a result, it is their prerogative, and I trust that they can judge when they just cannot take in one more and when not.

With funding having dropped as much as it has, it will be a miracle if they can maintain the operation at the level they are at now. I ask you to permit yourself to see both sides of the story, not just yours.

If anyone wants to donate to Second Chance, please go to CentexHumaneSociety.com (http://www.centexhumanesociety.com/) and click on the white cat donation icon. Thank You :)

This is the second time on here you have called someone a liar. Let me tell you I have personally had this happen to me as well. Before you go and start calling people liars you better know what the **** you are talking about. You owe this person an apology, I know you don't apologize at all. So unless you are willing to apologize quit calling people liars. I would rather burn money than give it to them.

FieryPrincess
May 10th, 2009, 4:59 PM
Calm down! She didn't call you a liar, she just said she couldn't believe it.

Lots of people say that when presented with something that doesn't match their experiences. I daresay we all have different experiences. My experiences have been nice at 2nd chance, but I was not dropping off and I adopting a dog twice rejected. I wasn't trying to adopt the world's most adorable puppy. I can believe that others have had negative experiences just based on the law of averages.

Nowhere is her post did I see her calling you "Mr. Pants-on-Fire" or its equivalent.

Proud Texan
May 10th, 2009, 5:59 PM
Maybe in your eyes, but I have stated my experience and someone else stated there experience. And if someone say they do not believe it happened that way. That is calling them a liar. Maybe not using the word LIAR but I can pretty much call someone a sorry piece of **** without using the word. It is all a word game. And yes she has done this on more than one occassion on here.

LOTRGeek
May 10th, 2009, 11:21 PM
I think the Second Chance Shelter does the best they can with very limited means. The staff and volunteers are compassionate and know the animals well. I recently spent time there looking to adopt and they were very helpful and patient. I plan on donating time, supplies, and money very soon. If the staff had to refuse an animal, I am sure it was because they are overcapacity. I applaud what they are doing at the shelter; saving as many animals as they can who have no other options.

Proud Texan
May 11th, 2009, 1:33 AM
I wouldn't have a problem with that, but when they tell you that they will not accept the animal unless you give them a 100 dollar donation in my case or a 75 dollar donation in the case of someone else on this forum I have a real problem with that. That does not mean that they are not full that means that they want your money.

MyFoot76541
May 13th, 2009, 8:55 PM
This is the second time on here you have called someone a liar. Let me tell you I have personally had this happen to me as well. Before you go and start calling people liars you better know what the **** you are talking about. You owe this person an apology, I know you don't apologize at all. So unless you are willing to apologize quit calling people liars. I would rather burn money than give it to them.

Why are you so sensitive about someone being called a liar...? I was incredulous as to anyone having an issue with how 2nd Chance runs their NON-Profit operation. I could not believe (i.e. I was amazed, I had a problem with...) that someone did not want to pay money to turn an animal into caring hands. Even the city pound charges money to take in animals... I did not mean to imply that I did not believe what was said.

Oh forget it ... I don't even know why I try and explain. You are probably h*ll-bent on not understanding what I am saying.
:banghead

my3dogs
May 13th, 2009, 8:56 PM

You can choose to believe it or not believe it...that's your decision. Just as it is my decision to redirect my donations. When I have donated year after year to 2nd Chance, and was told to take that cat to the city pound, where it would no doubt be killed, why would I continue to send my donations there? It happened again just recently....we found a kitten, maybe a month old if that, someone had dumped it on the side of the road in a paper bag!!! Sick bastards. I still have the kitten, although I have no intentions of keeping her because my dogs are trying to eat her so right now she has to stay locked in my bathroom. Now, what do you suppose 2nd Chance said?? NO, they will not take her.
Now, I understand they do not have the resources they should have, but had they taken in the abandoned kitten I would have redirected my donations back to them. I'm already taking in any stray that crosses my path and finding homes for them...Craigslist is awsome for that. However, I may come across one sometimes that I just don't have the space for or the time...and that is when I call 2nd Chance only to be turned away each and every time. So, I send my donations to an organization who appreciates it.
I have adopted a cat and a dog from there, and I still have them both. Can't say that the adoption experience was a positive one, but honestly...it's not about the people...it's about the animals.
Maybe if the people at 2nd Chance would stop treating people like they are dirt on the bottom of their shoe they just might start getting their donations back up there. Sorry, but people don't want to send their money somewhere where they are treated poorly.

Proud Texan
May 14th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Why are you so sensitive about someone being called a liar...? I was incredulous as to anyone having an issue with how 2nd Chance runs their NON-Profit operation. I could not believe (i.e. I was amazed, I had a problem with...) that someone did not want to pay money to turn an animal into caring hands. Even the city pound charges money to take in animals... I did not mean to imply that I did not believe what was said.

Oh forget it ... I don't even know why I try and explain. You are probably h*ll-bent on not understanding what I am saying.
:banghead

First why the **** would I want to pay someone to take an animal that I found and was just trying to get off the streets. Much less 100.00. I could have let the animal get run over, starve or whatever. I cared enough to pick the animal up and take it to a place that I thought cared about animals. But evidently the people that are there could give a **** less about animals.

The city does not charge me for an animal that I found. I can call them up and they will even come pick it up. They don't tell me that they will not take the animal unless I give them 100 dollars.

Like I said I will burn my money before I give it to this organization.

But I tell you what, since you seem to have no problem with paying for a stray animal, next time I find one give me your phone number and I will call you and you can come pick up the stray animal and you can pay them the money to take it. Or are you an uncaring individual as well.

Quit calling people liars when you have no ****ing proof of it and we won't have a problem. You weren't there on either occasion so you have absolutely no proof of either. There are at least three people on this thread that have said that they took an animal there and all three said they would not take the animal unless they gave a substantial donation. One individual stated that they had to negotiate it down to 75.00. And at least two of the individuals stated that these animals were found.

my3dogs
May 14th, 2009, 12:20 PM

Ok myfoot....I just noticed you said that you couldn't believe/had an issue with, etc. that I wasn't willing to pay money to the shelter to take in that cat. (It was my post that you had quoted, after all, so I assume you were referring to me)
I NEVER said I wasn't willing to pay money for them to take the cat in. I just said they refused, with or without a donation. They told me to take it to the city pound!!! I would have gladly paid a donation had they of taken it, just like for this kitten that I currently have that they refuse to take. Never said I wouldn't pay a donation, on top of all the donations I have given in the past.
If someone has a personal pet that they have decided is a burden to them and they just don't want it anymore and they choose to take it to the shelter rather than find a new home for it, then sure....they SHOULD be charged to take it in, although I believe that is a big problem with all the animals that are just dumped on the side of the road. However, if I happen across a stray and it's friendly/adoptable, why should I have to pay for someone else's stupidity? Although, I do it all the time.

Brad Buckley, D.V.M.
May 14th, 2009, 12:28 PM
This might be a good time to discuss the root cause of much of the problems that are being discussed on this thread. First of all, let me say that I have tremendous respect for those that work for and volunteer their time at the Second Chance Adoption Center. I have spent quite a bit of time out there and have been impressed with their compassion, organization and operation. They operate at 100% capacity plus and that is a demanding pace. Disease issues, behavior issues and adoptability issues all have to be considered by Second Chance.

When any animal is accepted by Second Chance they are immediately evaluated to determine their health status. They are examined by a veterinarian, given appropriate vaccinations, administered deworming medications, treated for external parasites (fleas and ticks) and treated for any other health problems. They are started on a healthy diet and their behavior and adoptability is evaluated.

I know that it must be frustrating to save a kitten from the streets only to be turned away or expected to donate funds to pay for the care. However, operating a facility such as Second Chance is expensive and requires many resources from money to volunteers. Most of the local veterinarians volunteer on a rotating schedule providing free professional services for shelter pets but vaccine, medication, food and supplies must be purchased.

Maybe a solution to this problem would be for those that cannot afford to pay the surrender fee to donate time as a volunteer to help out. This would allow for a needy animal to be taken in and in return all the animals would benefit from another person providing them attention and care.

Finally.....SPAY OR NEUTER YOUR PET!!!!! Unwanted kittens and puppies contribute to the issue we have been discussing. Spaying or neutering results in a happier, healthier pet and is the right thing to do.

MyFoot76541
May 16th, 2009, 11:04 PM
Let me try to explain again what I meant by "I don't believe it" :

I was incredulous that

a) people had an issue with paying money for turning in an animal to Second Chance: Killeen Animal Control charges $30 for residents and $40 for non-residents to accept an animal. There is a good chance that it may be put down there if it is sickly, or old, or does not seem appealing for adoption... that is the nature of the business. I personally would take an animal to Second Chance and pay the $100 fee knowing that the animal will be cared for, well fed, clean, socialized to a degree, and medically treated as necessary and survive, unless a terminal illness is discovered or something else prevents the animal positively from being adopted.
b) That someone would have an issue with 2nd Chance not accepting an animal because they had no room. To the best of my understanding the Centex Humane Society is there for the animals, with their best interest in mind.

I called noone a liar. I just questioned their reasoning. I was raised with the saying "I don't believe it!" (a high pitch on the believe) and I never perceived it to mean I was being called a liar, just that the other person disagreed with me strongly.

.... am I the only person who knows this??

FieryPrincess
May 17th, 2009, 7:50 AM
None of our 4 pets are capable of reproducing.

I don't care how cute they are, I just don't want to deal with puppies or kittens.

VooDooBaby
May 17th, 2009, 10:45 AM
MyFoot, just wanted to let you know that I didn't take your post "I don't believe it" as literally not believing the person, but just took it as "Wow!" or "Oh My!". I use that term alot and not in the manner of calling someone a liar, but more in the place of where I would really like to use a sentence enhancer like Proud Texan does :)

Back on topic... are there any organizations around here that have people foster animals? In leu of the surrender fee, one could foster a pet until it is adopted out. Just a thought.

yetanotherteacher
May 17th, 2009, 10:04 PM
One of the reasons that they are so overrun with dogs is because of the huge number of extra large dogs, mostly pits and lab mixes with fried brains. I volunteered there a few weeks back and I was shocked at how many gigantic dogs were there, all growling their heads off whenever I approached their cages. Sadly, those dogs will never find owners. Perhaps it's time for SCAS to cut their losses.

Proud Texan
May 18th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Yes I have been in the back and I agree that there are several vicious animals. If they ever do adopt one out and that one attacks anyone in my family I will sue them for so much that I hope it puts them out of business and then they can get someone else in there that truly does care about the animals.

I would have no problem if they turned the animal away because they said that are to full. But when they say that they will not take the animal unless you donate 100 from them that is not about the animals.

Like I said why the **** would I pay them 100 dollars for a stray that I found on the side of the road when I can take the stray to Killeen Animal shelter for free. They will not charge me for strays, or I can even call them to come pick it up for FREE. I at least had the caring to pick it up and take it there. If they were truly about the animals they would have said thank you and took the animal not try to extort money from me.

Like I said and I will continue to say, I will burn my money before I give them another dime.

bytem
May 18th, 2009, 1:46 PM
Yes I have been in the back and I agree that there are several vicious animals. If they ever do adopt one out and that one attacks anyone in my family I will sue them for so much that I hope it puts them out of business and then they can get someone else in there that truly does care about the animals.

I would have no problem if they turned the animal away because they said that are to full. But when they say that they will not take the animal unless you donate 100 from them that is not about the animals.

Like I said why the **** would I pay them 100 dollars for a stray that I found on the side of the road when I can take the stray to Killeen Animal shelter for free. They will not charge me for strays, or I can even call them to come pick it up for FREE. I at least had the caring to pick it up and take it there. If they were truly about the animals they would have said thank you and took the animal not try to extort money from me.

Like I said and I will continue to say, I will burn my money before I give them another dime.

I understand what you are saying about the money and you are right.However the place is staffed by volunteers, and while most of them probably are wonderful, kind and unselfish, I am sure that you have the occasional bad apple.So would the problem not come from bad management? Who is the person running the show over there? About the vicious animals,it really depends on why they are acting vicious.Out of fear maybe or have they been abused by a previous owner,lack of training. Whatever the problem is, it will not get better without proper care.I doubt that a bunch of volunteers,well-meaning as they may be, have the experience to handle such a case.Overall it sounds like there is too much to do and too little to do it with.

MyFoot76541
May 26th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Whatever the problem is, it will not get better without proper care.I doubt that a bunch of volunteers,well-meaning as they may be, have the experience to handle such a case.Overall it sounds like there is too much to do and too little to do it with.

Bytem, you are so right! I have been involved with them for the past 10 years plus. There is a small die-hard group of aging people who have bent over backwards to help, raise funds, improve housing for the animals and find ways to keep it going. Then I have also seen the many many young people, who come in hot and heavy with ideas to change the world. They come three times, ten times - and then disappear.

Only a very small number of people involved in the shelter have paid positions, and those are not high-waged, let me assure you. I admire the dedication of all these people. Nobody ever said that any of them are professional dog or cat whisperers. They just love animals and want to make a difference.

If you are a dog whisperer - please volunteer!

:thumbsup

Iteachtoo
May 27th, 2009, 2:30 PM
Out where we live, we have had three stray dogs dumped on our property. On all three occasions, Second Chance took them in without mentioning a word about money.

I took them a puppy and a kitten I found outside a laundry mat in the rain. They took them, but I had to bring back three bags of dog food and three bags of cat food. They refused the bags of food because they were not Science Diet; they told me that was all they used. First of all, no mention of this was made when they told me to bring the food, and second place, how rude to refuse any food because it was not what they "use". I took my six bags to the Killeen animal shelter and they took it, no questions asked. You would think they would be grateful for any donation of food. For the record, this was Purina, not a house brand. I feed my own animals this brand and they seem very happy and healthy!

bytem
May 27th, 2009, 3:33 PM
I took them a puppy and a kitten I found outside a laundry mat in the rain. They took them, but I had to bring back three bags of dog food and three bags of cat food. They refused the bags of food because they were not Science Diet; they told me that was all they used. First of all, no mention of this was made when they told me to bring the food, and second place, how rude to refuse any food because it was not what they "use". I took my six bags to the Killeen animal shelter and they took it, no questions asked. You would think they would be grateful for any donation of food. For the record, this was Purina, not a house brand. I feed my own animals this brand and they seem very happy and healthy!

They probably did not refuse the food just to be rude to you,but if you consistently feed a certain brand and then suddenly feed a lesser quality food(and yes ,purina is lesser grade than science diet) you can cause very nasty digestive problems.Something an animal hoping to be adopted surely does not need!The fact that they are feeding SD speaks highly of their attempts to build those animals up as much as possible.Purina is good food and if it works for your guys,great, but you probably feed it consistently.If you bought a bag of something different every time you shopped you would most likely not be happy with the results

my3dogs
May 27th, 2009, 4:08 PM
What makes Science Diet so much better than Purina? Is it just because it costs more? Or do they use a better quality corn, since it is listed as one of the top ingredients? I know the Vets seem to push Science Diet a lot, but that doesn't mean it's better quality food, it just costs more. I feed a good quality food, but I'm certainly not going to feed my dogs a food that is full of corn, regardless of the misconception of how 'good' it is. I think 2nd Chance would be much better off if they fed Pedigree and then let the adopters decide on what quality of food they want to feed, especially since SD is so stinkin expensive.
I thought they were working with the bare minimun? SD doesn't sound like bare minimum to me.

CenTexDave
May 27th, 2009, 4:44 PM
Science Diet, Iams, etc. Baloney. Dog food is dog food. If the hound is hungry enough he'll eat it.

Brad Buckley, D.V.M.
May 27th, 2009, 6:31 PM
Science Diet, Iams, etc. Baloney. Dog food is dog food. If the hound is hungry enough he'll eat it.

I'm of the opinion that dogs can thrive on many different types of dog food as long as we are consistent and don't switch brands on them too often. The premium foods (Science Diet, Iams, Waltham, Purina Pro Plan) do use very high quality ingredients, test each variety and AAFCO label them for lifestage and are low residue that usually results in less mess to clean up from the yard.

However, if a dog has a specific medical condition (food allergy, heart disease, kidney disease, urinary tract disease, etc) then the prescription diets are extremely important in successfully treating the disease process. Science Diet and Purina both have excellent products in this area.

I like Pedigree and Purina One as my "grocery store" favorites. I see many dogs eating these foods and thriving. Not to bash Wal-Mart but I'm not a big fan of Ol' Roy as I do see some digestibility issues at times.

I'm thinking of asking Dave to join my team at the clinic and put him in charge of nutrition counseling.:thumbsup

CenTexDave
May 27th, 2009, 7:28 PM
Hey, Doc, didn't mean to try to upstage you on here. I just think, like you said, Purina and Pedigree are good enough for both dogs. I have owned many dogs in the past, and only once did I try feeding one (a golden lab) that stuff from Walmart - Ol' Roy. He didn't like it, but gobbled up Purina Dog Chow at every meal. Now I realize that dogs do have allergies and diseases like you mentioned and then would need a special diet.

FieryPrincess
May 27th, 2009, 9:54 PM
My dogs have done great on Sam's brand until they quit providing the Kibbles and chunks version. We switched to Beneful and they still do great.

Yes, there is an adjustment period on an animal's digestive system, but wouldn't a solid, but less expensive brand be more prudent in the long run when every penny counts?

Night Owl
May 27th, 2009, 10:33 PM
I feed my dogs Eucanuba (sp) and it is more expensive but a 40 lb bag lasts about 2 months. I have two shelties (27 and 45 pounds) and feed them a cup and a half of food per day. Feeding other dog foods require more food to provide them the same nutrition in their diet.

BTW the 45 pound sheltie is not fat, he is just a huge sheltie. Twice and talk and long as my "normal" sheltie. When I took him to the vet the first time he couldn't believe his size. Said he was the biggest sheltie he had ever seen.

my3dogs
May 27th, 2009, 11:00 PM

I just put this together in my head...I know...I'm pretty slow. But you said they told you you had to bring back 6 bags of dog/cat food and after you got it they said it had to be SD?? A large bag of SD is about 50.00. Times that by 3 bags of dog food that's 150.00!! Not counting the cat food which isn't cheap either, although I don't know the exact price, but it's up there too. So they wanted you to purchase around 250.00 worth of food?? OMG!!!!

Brad Buckley, D.V.M.
May 28th, 2009, 9:15 AM
Hey, Doc, didn't mean to try to upstage you on here. I just think, like you said, Purina and Pedigree are good enough for both dogs

I was just messing with ya Dave. I like your style. There are quite a few dogs out there that will stay on perpetual hunger strike just waiting for Mom or Dad to jump through a few hoops and buy 19 different brands of dog food. Seriously though, consistency and reasonable quality food combined with good preventive care can go a long way towards keeping our pets healthy and happy.

wouldn't a solid, but less expensive brand be more prudent in the long run when every penny counts?

Good point! If the dog is doing well on the food and it fits your family budget while allowing you to be consistent with the food type then your dog will benefit from this in the end.

jewelr
May 28th, 2009, 9:28 AM
I use retriever from tractor supply it's 20.00 for a 50lb bag. Both my dogs do great on it and I only have to buy it once a month.
I use paws and claws for my cats same price per bag as the dog food they do great on it and it last for three or more months.

Proud Texan
May 28th, 2009, 10:32 AM

And this is the same kind of **** that I am talking bout them doing. At least they asked for food now instead of flat out telling you to give them money. I would still have told them to kiss my ass.

bytem
May 28th, 2009, 10:46 AM
I MOST CERTAINLY agree that no one should allow themselves to be exploited for someone else's personal gain.But is it clear that this is a NON-PROFIT organization?Just wondering...................

my3dogs
May 28th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Yes we know it is a non profit organinzation. I just can't figure out why they would expect someone to go buy 250.00-300.00 worth of dog/cat food. They don't have to feed Science Diet unless a particular animal needs that...most animals will do just fine on Pedigree and it's a lot more affordable for a non profit organization.

skipster
May 28th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Purina has been good enough for my pups so it is good enough for shelter pups. Their argument that you should not change foods is valid however you can wean them off the brand they are used to by gradually mixing in the other brand. The new pets should be started on purina or comparable food then they can lower their standards from the expensive food to the more resonably priced food making their food budget go further. I have one pup with severe alergies and he still eats purina only because he is allergic to almost everything that grows in Texas along with multiple food allergies. He didn't seem to have any more problems eatting purina than he did Science Diet and he liked Purijna Little Bites the best.

xzochye
May 28th, 2009, 1:12 PM
Everyone is clear that it is a non-profit organization. The problem is things about how they operate are not clear. If they want/need/require a donation to surrender an animal it should be posted somewhere. This "donation" should also be the same for each person and animal. (Dogs may require more of a donation than cats.) Different people on this forum have been told different things when they have tried to surrender a stray. I have had my own negative experience with the place when I tried to have a dog I found scanned for a microchip.

This doesn't mean that this is a bad place and that it isn't for a good cause. It just means that the people that run the place should get a little more organized, train the staff and volunteers (They don't tell volunteers anything. You sign up and they tell you to go find someone in the dog kennels to give you a dog to walk. I know this 1st hand. It happened to us!) and be consistent! Oh yeah and write the "rules and guidelines" somewhere.

Before anyone can say volunteer there or anything like that I DO. My son and I volunteer there to walk the dogs and play with the cats. I have also adopted a kitten from there 2 years ago.

Rick
May 28th, 2009, 1:16 PM
Well stated!

bytem
May 28th, 2009, 4:08 PM
Thing there do seem disorganized.So I'll ask for the second time, who is in charge of running things over there? Even a non-profit has to has some kind of accountability ,post rules and requirements about donations ,adoptions and so on.Somebody has to supervise the volunteers,schedule daily functions,answer when someone has a complaint.There is always someone sitting behind a desk somewhere holding the title of director or whatever.So when someone tries to take your money or demands highly priced dog food,isn't that the person you would complain to?Has anyone done it and had bad results?Is it one of those good-ol'-boy organizations?A lot of people have stated that they had bad experiences there,I can't believe they would want that sort of publicity but I don't see anyone with a title responding to any of this.Should they not address any problem that may arise and try to fix it?

my3dogs
May 28th, 2009, 9:07 PM
No, all they do is defend themselves saying they are right and all of us with a complaint/issue are wrong. This is a military town so most of those who are here today will be gone tomorrow and new ones will replace them.

MyFoot76541
May 29th, 2009, 7:24 AM
Let me shed a little bit of light on the Science Diet issue. Centex has a contract with Science Diet, where they receive a good amount of food (and I believe also funding or other services) if they agree to feed Science Diet exclusively. They have done this the entire time I have been associated with them.

If you have any issues with them, you can always speak to Ginger, the manager, or George, the president of the organization.

Now let me make another comment as to the organization: The shelter was designed to be a lot smaller. The influx of animals has created the wide array of outside runs that are not attached to the main structure. Just as the facility has busted out of its seams, so has the need for staffing. The shelter is run by a few people who are paid staff, and many dedicated volunteers who help out of the goodness of their hearts. They are people like you and me, who pitch in as they can with what they can do.

This is not a structured organization like the SPCA. Although it is their dream and aspiration, they do not have the funding available to do what they need to do in order to become a flashy, modern business. They do what they can with what they have. When you are up there, and experience something you think is not right, talk to George or Ginger. If you would like to know more about the shelter's operation, call and make an appointment to learn, please. Once you know the rest of the story, you may look at it in a different light :)

Their website, with contact information is centexhumanesociety.com (http://www.centexhumanesociety.com)

Green Pitman
May 29th, 2009, 10:18 AM
I volunteer outat 2d chance quite a lot and can offer the following in repsonse to some of the things posted on this topic

The shelter has adopted out over 120 large dogs since last November - a total of 1600 animals in 2008 incuding 350 kittens - most of these would have perished without 2d Chance taking them in due to surrenders, hardship, deployments, abandoned strays brought in by good samaritans, foreclosres, divorces etc.

No dangerous dogs are taken in - all animals are evaluated - in many instances dogs will bark at folks visiting to get attention - this may be mistaken for aggression which is not the case
The shelter continues to stay overull at over 100 percent capacity - but does a creditable job in managing the population providing food, cleaning, health care and many volunteers coming out to exercise the dogs on weekends.

Surrender fees are requested from owners - in many instances if the owners cannot afford fees of $35-$50 the animal is taken in anyway - I have witnessed this dozens of times.
The shelter depends on donations to supplement the modest adoption fees of $120 per adult animals whilch includes spay/neuter, vetted, vaccinations, deworming, etc. and $60 for cats and $100 for puppies- It costs approx $26,000 a month or operate the shelter - the underpaid staff work there for the love of animals

In the last year, the shelter has saved over a hundred dogs from the local municipal shelters when they run out of room - especially HH and Ft Hood - many of these animals would be euthanized for lack of space - when given more time by 2d Chance are eventually adopted. quite a few were taken from Killeen as well before their much needed expansion.

Donated dog or cat food that is not used by the shelter is donated to Meals on Wheels, Senior Center, destitute owners and those feeding strays or rescues. I have personally delivered food to these rescues.

The one problem that needs to be worked on is when folks feel they were misinformed about a dog being ready on a given day and then coming in to see the animal was adopted - this happens rarely but be assured there is no lying on the part of the staff - Folks are lined up to take home pets late Thurs and Fri after the vet leaves and the surgeries completed. But improvement needed to better communicate

volunteers and fosters are always needed to help the small staff- if they have more fosters then they can take in more kittens - but 350 adopted out in a year is pretty good.

thanks for your consideration of these points

Green Pitman
May 29th, 2009, 10:32 AM
one other thing - yes, good samaritans bringing in dogs are asked for a small donation - not a specific amount as in a normal surrender. -The modest surrender fees and such donations do not cover the costs for spay/neutering the animal or paying for essential meds. Good samaritans are thanked for saving the animal which could have been killed in traffic. Owners bringing in litters are admonished for not spay/neutering the Mom which results in so many homeless animals - That one owner poster who complained about neutering the pup did not waste her money - it will be a better pet and healthier in the long run

Likewise, many lost animals brought in to 2d chance are scanned and later claimed by very grateful owners.- Close coordination with Kileen Animal Control - The bulletin board inside the halllway lists dozens of posters for lost animals by owners

Also pups too young to be sterilized that are adopted out by 2d Chance get a discount coupon to have the animal sterilized at one of the 10 or so supporting area vets -

Green Pitman
May 29th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Yes we know it is a non profit organinzation. I just can't figure out why they would expect someone to go buy 250.00-300.00 worth of dog/cat food. They don't have to feed Science Diet unless a particular animal needs that...most animals will do just fine on Pedigree and it's a lot more affordable for a non profit organization.

no way did anyone get asked to spend that money for food - that is ludicrous and not done - pls call the mgr and give details - I'm sure it was miscommunication - as I said donated food is given away to the needy - thanks

my3dogs
May 29th, 2009, 12:50 PM
no way did anyone get asked to spend that money for food - that is ludicrous and not done - pls call the mgr and give details - I'm sure it was miscommunication - as I said donated food is given away to the needy - thanks

So are you saying that the person lied?? Wow, isn't that nice. The poster said that she took in a stray cat and a stray dog and was told to go buy 3 bags of cat food and 3 bags of dog food. She said when she returned with the food, 3 bags of each, she was told they wouldn't take it because it's not SD, so she took it to the KAS.
Why is it that whenever someone says that had a bad experience there someone from the shelter always shows up on here and says that it's a lie and it didn't happen....it's always a communication problem right? Well maybe they should communicate with the public a little better!!
Nobody is saying that what they do isn't a good thing for the animals. I really appreciate what they do!! All I'm saying is maybe they could treat the public a little better.
I came across a cat and a litter of kittens a few years ago. I lived in a rental house at the time and couldn't have pets. So I took them to 2nd chance. I was specifically told a donation fee of 75.00 per cat!! Multiply that by 3 kittens and the mamma. I don't think so! I did give 75.00, because that's all I could afford. Luckily for the cat and her babies they took them anyway.

CenTexDave
May 29th, 2009, 1:02 PM
I agree with you my3dogs. Everytime someone says something about how they've been treated there six people log on in defense of Second Chance.
There's obviously problems down there and they are either too dumb to see that or won't admit it. At any rate, I avoid them like the plaque.

skipster
May 29th, 2009, 1:05 PM
That one owner poster who complained about neutering the pup did not waste her money - it will be a better pet and healthier in the long run

-

That is not the point. The point is don't make promises you can't keep. I had fallen in love with that dog and was getting my pup neutered as requested by the shelter in order to see if that would make a differance. I visiited her at least twice a week and walked her. When I brought my pup in or visit with her after his surgery I am told she had been adopted. That was wrong the shelter knew I was having my pup neutered to see if things would work out better but was never given the opportunity. My pups are inside dogs and are supervised when they are outside so neutering my male was my choice, I always keep my females spayed so I don't have to deal with the bleeding during their cycle.

I don't know what you mean by a better pet he was then a great pup and is still a great pup. The neutering did not change his attitude towards other dogs. He is not aggressive he is just very forceful when he approaches other dogs which comes from his being thrown out on the street when he was only about 3 -4 months old and never being properly socialized. He is now as he was before the surgery a very loving pet with the same attitude and temperment he had before his surgery. When I got my new female pup he acted the same as he did before the surgery, however working with a trainer we got them both to calm down and accept each other. Apparently the neitering was not the pups were feeding off my anxiety at their meetings, when the trainer worked with them they were fine. When I worked with them they got a little crazy. Trainer got me to calm down andreact everytime they approached each other and it worked. They still have their occaisonal momments with each other, they growl and snap but then its over. Usually caused by the younger one trying to bully the older one until he reminds her of who is in charge.

my3dogs
May 29th, 2009, 1:11 PM
Not that I'm trying to defend him, but I think what he means is there are health benefits to having a male neutered. I am a firm believer in having all of my pets fixed, male and female.
I'm sure Dr. Buckley can explain the health bennies to having a male neutered better than I can.

skipster
May 29th, 2009, 1:28 PM
I understand and I do agree with you it is true. My baby has been through so much with his allergies, he lives on prednisone so I try not to put him through any unneeded procedures he was about 5 or 6 years old at this time. But yes neutering is not just about preventing litters there is a health benefit and yes I should have my males neutered but I always worry about their being a change in the dogs personality. I love my baby and did not want to see him change. Neutering can cause some attitude change and sometimes nothing but I did not want to gamble on this loveable boys attitude changing either. I am no expert on the neutering affect on the males this is what I have been told and read.

What irritated me with his reply was the comment how I would have a better dog. As I said neutering can calm the male down but it does not always cause any change in attitude. In my case it did not affect his attitude he was the same after surgery as he was before and the problems with dogs interractons was owner caused.

Proud Texan
May 29th, 2009, 3:43 PM
Yes typical of people from this organization to come on here and say it was miscomminication. I was personally told 100 for a dog I found, My3dogs was told 75 per cat, others have stated independently they were told they had to donate. I don't beleive there have been micommunication, I believe those stories as I have seen them personally.

As for Mr. Fox don't even get me started on him.

Ginger smith-Holmes
May 29th, 2009, 4:18 PM
We ask for a $50.00 donation to surrender an animal at Second Chance. We also work with customers who do not have the money to bring their animals in to our shelter. We have to purchase supplies, pay utilities and our employees. I would love to have a volunteer coordinator but alas no one has volunteered. If you would like to stop by the shelter I would be glad to try to help fix what you perceive as wrong or where we can improve our customer relations. I wish we could take in every animal but I do have to say no at times. We are very proud of our shelter and work very hard to keep it going. Thanks for all the support we do receive from the community.

Night Owl
May 29th, 2009, 4:27 PM
But if a person picks up a stray why should they have to pay to have you take it. They are being good samaritans and now they have to pay. Just think that is not the best way to handle the situation.

Rick
May 29th, 2009, 4:35 PM
I think it is great that these people are coming here to explain policy. Thank you for doing that and I would like to ask the members to keep in mind that they do not have to, they want to.

Ms. Holmes, some people are complaining aout something that happened 4-5 years ago. Unless you read the other forum or followed every message here, you could not possibly know that. So thank you for setting the record straight.

Ok, so there we have it, they ask for a $50.00 donation. That is in writing now. If you are told something different, come back here and print this message and then return. I will not believe that these volunteers are sitting at the shelter just waiting for the next sucker to come in so they can con them out of an extra $25.00.

This is a very emotional issue and it shows that many people care about animals that cannot care for themselves. You all are great.

Rick
May 29th, 2009, 4:38 PM
But if a person picks up a stray why should they have to pay to have you take it. They are being good samaritans and now they have to pay. Just think that is not the best way to handle the situation.
Do you think it is possible that some people would take a dog they no longer want and tell them it is a stray, just to avoid the fee?

This is a tough spot to be in to have to make that call. They need money for expenses related to taking the animal and the fee charged can cause more people to just dump them.

It is a tough situation.

Brad Buckley, D.V.M.
May 29th, 2009, 4:57 PM
Neutering males and spaying females is the right thing to do. Beside the obvious benefit of helping to control overpopulation, these procedures have health benefits. A female that is spayed at or before 6 mos of age nearly eliminates the possibility of ever having mammary cancer and she will never have a uterine infection. A male that is neutered will never have testicular cancer and his likelihood of acquiring a deadly form of perianal cancer is greatly reduced.

As for behavior changes, I have not had one client in 16 years that expressed any concern about their dogs behavior after being sterilized. They may become more sedentary but typically are still active and playful. They most certainly will gain weight but making good decisions about their diet can mitigate this problem. Neutered males will usually refrain from trying to go "lookin' for love in all the wrong places" and this cuts down on hit by cars and fighting between competing males. Spayed females will not have a messy heat cycle and will not attract unwanted males to the area as well.

Opinions abound out there concerning spaying and neutering. Many myths and "urban legends" persist often confusing the issue and leaving folks with bad information. I believe that it is our responsibility as pet owners to spay and neuter our pets and help combat the terrible problem of pet overpopulation. Breeders of purebred dogs have a tremendous responsibility as well to not over breed and to be vigilant about genetic defects. Then when males and females surpass their ideal reproductive years they should be spayed and neutered to live out their days free from the health issues that can burden the intact.

Proud Texan
May 29th, 2009, 4:59 PM
Yes mine was several years ago. But some of these people are talking about things that have happened in the last few months. One person even stated on here that he volunteered a few months ago and that they had a few vicious dogs. Mr. Pitman stated that they did not take vicious dogs but that some of the dogs barked. A pitbull growling at me is not what I would call a barking and non-vicious. Had it been out in the country a 45 would have solved that problem. This was within the last two years. People live and die by their reputation, unless their is a management change things usually don't change. So I will go by my past experiences with them and several of them that have been posted here. I will donate my money to the Peacable Kingdom resort, I would rather help sick children anyways.

Rick
May 29th, 2009, 5:12 PM
Ya PT, we get it.

At 1,600 adoptions in 2008, they averaged four per day. Who knows how many turn ins get requested per day, so yes, it is possible that miscommunications occur among volunteer staff in a building full of yapping animals.

No one is saying that the place is perfect and doesn't need to improve.

And I would like to add a comment in general and not directed toward anyone in particular.

We request that more people in these positions come here and give us the facts, but when they are met with hostility, why would they want to? This shouldn't be an "Us vs Them" situation.

bytem
May 29th, 2009, 5:18 PM
Ms.Holmes, thank you for explaining and thank you for being there for the animals.You certainly have my support.I am sorry that some people just don't want to understand.I wish we all could pull together to support something so valuable to our community.If people would donate only once or twice a year,I am sure it would make a big difference.Surely we all have vices we could cut back on in order to do a good deed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And by the way,if someone is still *****ing about something 4-5 years later, they have issues anyway!

Green Pitman
May 29th, 2009, 9:47 PM
Thank you Dr Buckley for clarifying what I was trying to get across about sterilized animals being "better" - this will vary fr om animal to animal but we are speaking in general terms.

All of these complaints like "go get bags of food" could have been resolved if the person had spoken with the manager- no one is accused of lying but in that hectic environment miscomunication abounds.

Comment from poster on Hours of operation. The shelter is open 7 days a week - 12-5 PM on weekdays and 11 AM - 5 PM on weekends. It is closed for only four holidays a year. The staff cleans and feeds all morning to get ready for noon opening. There is ot enough staff to stay open past five although many stay later doing late adoptions until 6 PM. Visitors are welcome to walk around outside until the lights go out and gates locked very often past 6 PM. People working during the day can come in on weekdays to make their choice - however in making such a big decilsion it is always wise to take a few hours off from work in the PM if possible, view the animals and then come back on the weekend with the family for the adoption.

I repeat that many, many good samaritans come in with dogs and they are not in a position to donate but the animal is taken because it is all about saving the animal. Many of these animals are taken in after hours. And yes, sometimes they do misrepresent that it is not their animal. I should add that many dogs are tied to the shelter gate overnight including litters

Green Pitman
May 29th, 2009, 10:13 PM

One of the times, they recognized the dog which had been adopted a few days before and the people who adopted it lived no where near us.

Thank You Rick - exactly my point - and even with offcial surrenders that I have witnessed there is no fee if the owner is not in a position to provide -

Green Pitman
May 29th, 2009, 10:22 PM
It just turns my stomach to hear some of the second chance stories.

When one of our dogs died, we decided to be a one-dog family. That worked for a month, but our dog was pining away, so I called 2nd Chacne to ask about the adoption process and asked if it was OK to bring my dog so she could pick one out. I was told by the lady that comes across a littel strong that they not only encourage it, they require it.

I head out there with my dog. I explain that my dog is 7 and I do NOT want a puppy. Most of the dogs I was interested in, they told me I couldn't have. I loved when they told me I couldn't have one of the bigger dogs and didn't have a good reason for it. I have grown up around large and willful dogs and they don't bother me at all. They brought out a 5YO old dog (which was close to my dog's age) who was fine with my dog but very shy around me. I was told I shoud come and visit a lot and she would get used to me. Uh....no.

I found a dog that seemed to work well and got her to the door when I was told that one was crazy and we couldn't have her. From the story I was told, I had figured out the issue and it didn't worry me (dealt with that before too), but they insistent.

Finally they tried this little-ish brown dog. It was great. It turns out he was more puppy than not (6 months old). He had been adopted as a puppy but returned to the shelter. He was scared to death to ride in a car.

When we got him home, it was love at first sight for my kids. I did figure out why he had been returned - dang that dog was a chewer! He has grown out of most of it. They tend to. I took him to obedience school (Roomin' and Groomin' still rocks!) and he is a great dog!

He dotes on my daughter and sleeps next to her.

He was a great find.

Again, it just breaks my heart that I hear these other stories about people truly wanting animals and having the pets taken right from under them. Lesson learned: don't tell them much about your family life. I sure didn't bring my kids or husband with me to get our dog.

They worked with you and made the effort to find a good match - and the adoption was successful as you pointed out - Most HUmane Societies require the family to come in to make sure that all is compatible - to prevent a dog from being adopted, going home and then r eturned for one reason or another - kids, were scared, husband rejected, family related etc. The Second Chance is much more flexible than most in its adoption counseling. Many dogs are sent home with the family for a trial period to ensure all is well in the home environment --Like big boy "Lightning" last night :)
let's give a little credit.

Green Pitman
May 29th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Let me try to explain again what I meant by "I don't believe it" :

I was incredulous that

a) people had an issue with paying money for turning in an animal to Second Chance: Killeen Animal Control charges $30 for residents and $40 for non-residents to accept an animal. There is a good chance that it may be put down there if it is sickly, or old, or does not seem appealing for adoption... that is the nature of the business. I personally would take an animal to Second Chance and pay the $100 fee knowing that the animal will be cared for, well fed, clean, socialized to a degree, and medically treated as necessary and survive, unless a terminal illness is discovered or something else prevents the animal positively from being adopted.
b) That someone would have an issue with 2nd Chance not accepting an animal because they had no room. To the best of my understanding the Centex Humane Society is there for the animals, with their best interest in mind.

I called noone a liar. I just questioned their reasoning. I was raised with the saying "I don't believe it!" (a high pitch on the believe) and I never perceived it to mean I was being called a liar, just that the other person disagreed with me strongly.

.... am I the only person who knows this??

Thank you My Foot for your enlightened explanation. PT has been on this kick for months based on his perceived episode many years ago. It is a simple neurosis or complex he has that may be resolved through counselling. He is quick to take offense, post very belligerent comments, use vulgar language and accuse folks that disagree with him as (he) being a liar. He cannot fathom the difference as you tried to explain. Logic and reason and good manners are beyond his narrow comprehension .

yetanotherteacher
May 29th, 2009, 11:02 PM
What makes Science Diet so much better than Purina? Is it just because it costs more? Or do they use a better quality corn, since it is listed as one of the top ingredients? I know the Vets seem to push Science Diet a lot, but that doesn't mean it's better quality food, it just costs more. I feed a good quality food, but I'm certainly not going to feed my dogs a food that is full of corn, regardless of the misconception of how 'good' it is. I think 2nd Chance would be much better off if they fed Pedigree and then let the adopters decide on what quality of food they want to feed, especially since SD is so stinkin expensive.
I thought they were working with the bare minimun? SD doesn't sound like bare minimum to me.
I'm certainly not an expert on the ingredients in premium and lesser quality dog food. However, my vet told me a simple way to tell the difference: Inspect the poo. High quality dog food (yup, it does cost more) will be smaller in volume, harly smell at all, and will be nice hard nuggets. Dogs fed poor quality dog food leave droppings that are much greater in volume, much looser, and much more putrid. I opt to pay more for better health in my dog and higher quality doggie diamonds!

my3dogs
May 29th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Well I definitely feed a high quality food to my dogs. But I choose to feed a food that doesn't have corn listed within the first 5 ingredients. Corn cannot be digested by dogs and is used as a filler. IMO, Science Diet is crap disguised as quality. If you read the ingredients it is full of corn, fillers and by-product.

Green Pitman
May 29th, 2009, 11:56 PM
Ms.Holmes, thank you for explaining and thank you for being there for the animals.You certainly have my support.I am sorry that some people just don't want to understand.I wish we all could pull together to support something so valuable to our community.If people would donate only once or twice a year,I am sure it would make a big difference.Surely we all have vices we could cut back on in order to do a good deed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And by the way,if someone is still *****ing about something 4-5 years later, they have issues anyway!

How misguided to bash such a heroic organization that has cared for and saved thousands of animals from euthanasia - the only no kill shelter serving this large and growing community - constantly at over capacity - a hard working and dedicated staff working exhaustively to care for and save as many animals as possible - day in and day out; supporting our troops by taking in hundreds of animals from soldiers deploying overseas; conductng low cost shot clinics to promote the health and welfare of animals in the community, sponsoring youth groups such as Girl/Boy Scouts, and students of all ages in volunteer activities, serving hundreds of guests weekly in their search for pets, and receiving dozens of cards, photos and commendations from the public at large expressing their gratitude for what the Second Chance does for the animals.

Green Pitman
May 30th, 2009, 12:15 AM
Let me shed a little bit of light on the Science Diet issue. Centex has a contract with Science Diet, where they receive a good amount of food (and I believe also funding or other services) if they agree to feed Science Diet exclusively. They have done this the entire time I have been associated with them.

If you have any issues with them, you can always speak to Ginger, the manager, or George, the president of the organization.

Now let me make another comment as to the organization: The shelter was designed to be a lot smaller. The influx of animals has created the wide array of outside runs that are not attached to the main structure. Just as the facility has busted out of its seams, so has the need for staffing. The shelter is run by a few people who are paid staff, and many dedicated volunteers who help out of the goodness of their hearts. They are people like you and me, who pitch in as they can with what they can do.

This is not a structured organization like the SPCA. Although it is their dream and aspiration, they do not have the funding available to do what they need to do in order to become a flashy, modern business. They do what they can with what they have. When you are up there, and experience something you think is not right, talk to George or Ginger. If you would like to know more about the shelter's operation, call and make an appointment to learn, please. Once you know the rest of the story, you may look at it in a different light :)

Their website, with contact information is centexhumanesociety.com (http://www.centexhumanesociety.com)

All of these complaints could have been resolved on the spot by speaking to the manager on duty and if not satisfied going to the President who is always available to the public.

Proud Texan
May 30th, 2009, 7:17 PM

Since you are adressing me I will answer, there are people on here that are *****ing about the same thing continuing. So give me your number that way when I find a stray animal I can call you and you can go out there to get told the same thing that several of us on here are complaining about. Some of the complaints are from within the last year. Like the person who was told 75 dollars per cat and negotiated it down to 75 dollars for all of them. Or the person that was told 250 dollars of dog food. Which that person has now been called a liar by Mr. Pittman.

Proud Texan
May 30th, 2009, 7:20 PM
All of these complaints could have been resolved on the spot by speaking to the manager on duty and if not satisfied going to the President who is always available to the public.

Oh I do believe the manager was there when I had my problem there and still refused the animal unless I donated 100.00

bytem
May 31st, 2009, 7:29 AM
Since you are adressing me I will answer, there are people on here that are *****ing about the same thing continuing. So give me your number that way when I find a stray animal I can call you and you can go out there to get told the same thing that several of us on here are complaining about. Some of the complaints are from within the last year. Like the person who was told 75 dollars per cat and negotiated it down to 75 dollars for all of them. Or the person that was told 250 dollars of dog food. Which that person has now been called a liar by Mr. Pittman.

Why do you think I was addressing you?I was not addressing anyone in particular,but if the shoe fits,please wear it!And whats up with you always asking for my phone number?It's non of your business.I think that some of these" complaints" are probably true,some of them are most likely exaggerated and some are just made up by some person who just likes to whine and needs professional help.But all has been clarified and you know now whom you can go to if you have a problem.Therefor the subject is really quite dead.

Rick
May 31st, 2009, 5:32 PM
A message was removed from this section because it contained cowardly, vulgar personal attacks against people who came here to explain current policy as requested by some of our users.

There is absolutely no reason why this issue cannot be discussed in a civilized manner.

This will not be tolerated at this forum.

skipster
June 1st, 2009, 9:06 AM
I already stated my complaint so no point bringing that up again. What is done is done. I do have to say that the people working their do show a genuine concern and love for the animals and any place that takes care of animals is not bad. Even though I may not be back I do congradulate them on the work they do and hope they are able to continue for a long time.

Rick
June 1st, 2009, 12:54 PM
Nice words skipster. Thank you for that.

I removed a bunch of off topic posts including my own so we can move on to the future.

Have a nice day!

FieryPrincess
June 1st, 2009, 9:06 PM
They worked with you and made the effort to find a good match - and the adoption was successful as you pointed out - Most HUmane Societies require the family to come in to make sure that all is compatible - to prevent a dog from being adopted, going home and then r eturned for one reason or another - kids, were scared, husband rejected, family related etc. The Second Chance is much more flexible than most in its adoption counseling. Many dogs are sent home with the family for a trial period to ensure all is well in the home environment --Like big boy "Lightning" last night :)
let's give a little credit.

I grew up surrounded by "vicious" dogs surrendered by owners who could no longer (or never could) handle them. They just became part of our family. Of all dogs aroundover 30 years, we actively sought out only two of them. My dad was the original dog whisperer and this little grasshopper learned much. My children are similarly trained to work with the animals when we go visit Grandpa. My daughter is amazing with animals. My son is still too young to be effective with a dog three - five times his weight.

While I understand that there are several people who think they can own a big dog and can't, I am more comfortable with large dogs. I specifically had my eye on the larger dogs when I went to the shelter and I was steered away from them. I wondered why and no one could tell me. At 70 pounds and 50 pounds, these are the smallest dogs I have ever owned.

If we were to ever figure out how to live on one salary, I would love to spend time volunteering at a shelter helping to gentle down the more spirited ones. Some of the best dogs I remember us owning when I was growing up were some of the toughest cases. As it is now, I work with middle schoolers every day - sometimes it seems like almost the same thing.

Ginger smith-Holmes
June 2nd, 2009, 7:45 PM
Fiery Princess

We would love to have you help out at the shelter any time you are able. I do understand the "work" thing. All of us old dogs could learn a few new tricks!!!!

Again thanks to all that support and help all the animals in our community!!!

melissa
July 3rd, 2009, 10:01 AM
obvisously, they are low on funds and need money. But they are asking too much.
Melissa

Puck
July 22nd, 2009, 6:38 PM
That places like the Second Chance animal shelter have to exist at all is a sad comment on our society.

The animals that are taken there are better off than the animals that are taken to the pound. The Shelter is almost always in need of donations of items like dog food, cat food, kitty litter, blankets when the weather is cold, and always volunteers.

If you are unwilling to help solve the problem, are you really qualified to criticize?

Night Owl
July 22nd, 2009, 7:28 PM
What qualifies someone to be able to criticize? Money, food, whatever. What do I have to do to be "allowed" the right to criticize?

CenTexDave
July 22nd, 2009, 9:47 PM
Don't worry, Owl, just another Newbie who wants to stir the pot.

Night Owl
July 22nd, 2009, 10:23 PM
I know and I like stirring it also.:):)

Phantomwarrior
July 23rd, 2009, 8:38 PM
That places like the Second Chance animal shelter have to exist at all is a sad comment on our society.

The animals that are taken there are better off than the animals that are taken to the pound. The Shelter is almost always in need of donations of items like dog food, cat food, kitty litter, blankets when the weather is cold, and always volunteers.

If you are unwilling to help solve the problem, are you really qualified to criticize?

I agree. God bless the Second Chance animal shelter. They're in the business of adopting and saving pets which is why the have the name "Second Chance." This is a good organization to contribute too. What they do is in line with the biblical teaching of doing "good works."

Black Jack
July 23rd, 2009, 10:08 PM
Along the lines of donations to the shelter they also take empty soda cans. The shelter takes the empty soda cans to a recycling center and then uses the money to buy cleaning products, dog & cat food, etc. for the animals. If you are interested all you have to do is drop the bags of empty soda cans by the shelter door and they will find them. You can also just bring in the money if you would prefer after recycling the empty soda cans yourself - the choice is yours.

MyFoot76541
July 24th, 2009, 9:46 PM
If you feel generous, several area rescue groups are on the web and accept paypal donations:

Centexhumanesociety.com
assisianimalrescue.org
kathyskitties.com

caring2009
September 8th, 2009, 7:17 AM
This just happened this morning. Two dogs were wondering around out where I work and Were taked to Second Chance. They were not going to take them. A donation was mentioned and all of a sudden they would take them. No wonder Second Chance is getting a bad reputation. If this is how they operate I wonder what the facilities look like. To bad that the poeple wirking there are worried mor about money that taking in an helping the animals. Which is what I thought they are there for.

Im sick and tired of people bad mouthing sec chance. Seriously - they work there asses of everyday. Its a shelter that is on Donations only who do think pays for all the animals surgeries and food and livingspace and meds and shots flea treatments heartworm do i need to go on? But than people ***** and complain about they wont take the dogs but they did with a donation which probally does not even take care of one of those dogs.
You know when the workers get there in the morning they have to unty dogs from the fence, people cruel enough to do so. Or they throw them out of the car since sec chance has triple of what they are supposed to have no one talks about that.
You all are lucky animals cant talk serious.
How about people need to be responsible with there pets act like its a child cause yo surly dont give up youre child like that no matter how many times they throw up or get sick or wine and scream ????
How about how much the people at sec chance work and bring work home like bottle feeding every 2 hours cause otherwise the puppies would not make it. And YEAH they do not get paid for that neither for all the other extra work they do cause some people do not have brains when they get a dog.
It's a BIG Responsibility -
How about all the sheets and blankets that keep the animals comfy and warm oh yeah they take that home in their own time and wash it at home they do not get paid for that either.
So everybody instead of bad talk the sec chance why dont you all go help out. They are in need of all kinds a help from old sheets ,blankets ,dog &cat food, brushes ,soap to do laundy detergent , old cell phones there is a list of items we all have laying around so lets not waste our time badmouthing all the hard working people at sec chance.

Thank you

Night Owl
September 8th, 2009, 9:08 AM
Would you care to repost and use English this time. I couldn't understand a thing you wrote. It did seem like you were unhappy about something.

CenTexDave
September 8th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Well, Night Owl's back!!:))

sweetk
September 8th, 2009, 3:40 PM
The Second chance shelter is run by volunteers and donations! My girl scout troop has worked with them for three years and both the girls and animals love it! Take some time to go there and find out exactly what they do before you judge!! Donations do not have to be cash...take food, leashes, blankets etc. Think before you speak and then do so intelligently. Know what you are talking about before you open your mouth!! Thanks to all hard working people involved in the Second Chance shelter!!!

cityboy
September 8th, 2009, 10:45 PM
That surly not is vary too nice, Mr. Night Owl ... :-B

Night Owl
September 9th, 2009, 10:03 AM
What was not nice about my post?

cityboy
September 9th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Pointing out that the person can hardly speak English ...

Night Owl
September 9th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Did I lie?

cityboy
September 9th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Not at all ... and I don't disagree. I was just being my usual smartaleck self, tryin' to be funny ...

Night Owl
September 9th, 2009, 11:19 AM
I know.8-;8-; But at least I was truthful, this time!!!!:))

cityboy
September 9th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Finally! :-B

FieryPrincess
September 12th, 2009, 8:12 AM
My daughter's Girl Scout troop went there too.

My daughter came back afraid of and with an unhealthy dislike of cats.

MeinLieberSchollie62
September 12th, 2009, 5:21 PM
After reading this threat my husband and I decided that we will go and donate some food and supplies to them. They are trying to make a difference and I am all about the animals .... as my personal zoo shows :)

sasquatch
September 16th, 2009, 10:51 PM
The one time I went there, it was like the creepy cat lady from hell's house. All these cats roaming freely everywhere. My daughter and I were too creeped out to go outside. Needless to say, we didn't stay long.

joyohjoy
September 19th, 2009, 8:10 AM
Anyone who wants to help Second Chance log onto www.theanimalrescuesite.com . Click to help rescued animals, then vote. They have a chance to win a $20,000 grant. This was in the Killeen paper today.

Proud Texan
December 9th, 2009, 11:46 AM
I haven't been on in awhile due to some things that were said in this thread. After the fire that killed several of their animals I was kind of feeling sad for the animals and even the place. I even thought of donating money until I heard that they had over 2 million in the bank. Seems like they were about the money after all.

Rick
December 9th, 2009, 12:19 PM
I notice you conveniently forgot to include your source as it was a far cry from "$2 million in the bank."

Second Chance animal shelter president under fire (http://www.kxxv.com/Global/story.asp?S=11541300)

Grammas said that he has always disclosed monthly financial transactions to the board and has given their financial information to anyone who asked.

“We had upwards of $200,000 in savings,” said Grammas, referring to the time of the fire. Their total annual operating budget is $350,000.

Night Owl
December 9th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Whats a single 0 among friends???? :)

dtribby
December 9th, 2009, 1:40 PM
Even at $2M, that's just .000254% of the TARP fund. Why not bail 2nd Chance out?

Really, though. They'd be foolish NOT to have at least 6 months of operating capital in reserve. I don't know why simple business realities would upset folks. It's not like they're trying to turn a profit! (hissing and booing because profits are Eeeeevil)

SunDevil
December 9th, 2009, 3:55 PM
So he had money saved in Second Chances' account as a rainy day fund? Sounds like good money management to me. Someone's trying to make trouble where there is no trouble to be made.

Rick
December 9th, 2009, 9:52 PM
The person throwing these stones has done so for a long time. Can we all say, "Axe to grind?" He is the one who called these fine volunteers the most vulgar names and got pissy when I wouldn't tolerate it.

My opinion on the matter is that the President and Treasurer should not be the same person. I am not in any way accusing, I am just referring to the appearance. and, with $200,000 in the bank, I think a sprinkler system should have been purchased. But I am not on the board and just throwing my opinion into the pot.

They do hard work there and I in no way want to disparage them.

Be thankful that no human lives were lost in the fire,

Proud Texan
December 11th, 2009, 7:20 PM
Well Rick I have not lied one time about the way they do things out there. And there have been several on here that have had similar experiences with them. I didn't call them vulgar names. I called them a bunch of xxxholes after they came on here and called me names as well. I see you didn't do anything to them. But then again I expect nothing less than that from you towards me.

My contention is they are not about the animals when you take one out there that you find on the street and they refuse to take it unless you give them money. In my case it was 100.00. There have been people that have came on here and said that they were told 75.00 per cat for four cats, which they negotiated down to 75.00 for all of them. And one person even stated that they had to go buy dogfood and when they came out there with the dogfood it wasn't the proper kind of dog food. If they truly cared about the animals they would take them in. I don't mind that they have money in the bank. Just don't pretend that you are flat broke when you have money in the bank.

One report I saw said two million, if it was only 200,000 that is far from broke if you ask me. Insurance should cover the building. As far as lost income, with no building there shouldn't be any expenses as well.

Rick
December 12th, 2009, 12:45 PM
One report I saw said two million, if it was only 200,000 that is far from broke if you ask me. Insurance should cover the building. As far as lost income, with no building there shouldn't be any expenses as well.
Got a link to the report you are referencing?

As you can see, people with common sense support them keeping a percentage of their operating budget in the bank. Too bad you can't see that as a good business practice.

THEMEANOGRE
December 12th, 2009, 12:55 PM
I agree Rick. Earlier this year, some organization rated ALL the veteran's organizations and gave the Paralyzed Veterans of America a really low score for the same reason.

Proud Texan
December 12th, 2009, 6:05 PM
I don't care if he keeps a money in the account like that or not. But don't LIE to the general public and say you are broke when you have that kind of money in the bank. And that is what he did was flat out LIE.

Rick
December 13th, 2009, 3:43 PM
You cared when you claimed that there was $2 million in the bank. But once you are proven wrong, you all of a sudden don't care and start calling people liars.

Can you prove that he said he was broke? Would you be willing to put your real name to that accusation?

Proud Texan
December 14th, 2009, 4:44 PM
Excuse me but did he not admittingly withhold the amount of money that they had in the bank. He admitted that in your post. 200,000 in the bank is far from being broke which he was claiming. So therefore he is a liar. Like I said I dont care if they have 2 million or 2 hundred thoughsand but do not pretend to be broke refuse to accept animals because you say you can't care for them and then have that kind of money in the bank.

Rick
December 15th, 2009, 4:57 AM
Excuse me but did he not admittingly withhold the amount of money that they had in the bank. He admitted that in your post.
Now you are claiming that he withheld money?

Here's what I posted about what he said.

Grammas said that he has always disclosed monthly financial transactions to the board and has given their financial information to anyone who asked.
Can you comprehend that simple sentence?

200,000 in the bank is far from being broke which he was claiming.
Please provide a link to someone other than YOU claiming that he said this. That shouldn't be too much to ask since you are once again, making a cowardly and baseless accusation.

So therefore he is a liar.
I'm guesing that you wouldn't say this to his face.

dtribby
December 15th, 2009, 8:50 AM
Gettin' ugly in here!:(

Scarlett
December 15th, 2009, 10:46 AM
It's because PT and Rick are BFF's.

Rick
December 15th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Aww shucks, I thought it was a secret! :-$

Proud Texan
December 25th, 2009, 12:11 AM
Rick I am guessijng that you won't call me a coward to my face.

I tell anybody that has anything to do with this place exactly what I think about them to their face. Rick I am not going to provide you with anything. You don't' like me and I hate you. This is no secret, so your biased opinions against me blur your visions.

So I am not going to prove what everybody else knows other than you. People all over town were talking about this and how he lied to the general public. I had to hear about it somewhere, I didn't just make this up. What would I have to gain by making false accusations towards this place. Ask yourself that. What does this person have to gain by making false accusations. I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO GAIN BY MAKING ANY FALSE ACCUSATIONS. I am just telling people about my experiences that I have had, and other people have come on here and said they have had similar experiences with them as well. But you sir have called me a liar, coward, azzhole and other names. But when I called them a bunch of azzholes you deleted my post and called me a coward. And when I confronted you on the matter you put me in something where you had to approve my post before they were posted. Which is something that this website was started over because of the other site. YOUR PERSONAL ISSUES WITH ME HAVE CLOUDED YOUR JUDGEMENT.

Rick
December 25th, 2009, 4:46 AM
Awww gee, it's Christmas, what's with all the hatred?

All I ask, is that you provide proof of your baseless accusations. If you can't do that, then at least sign your name to the claim.

A man would do that.

And once again, I did not call you a coward, I said that making a baseless accusation was cowardly and I would certainly not have a problem telling you that to your face.

So either provide your proof, or own your words with your name, or I will have to delete your cowardly message.

All you are doing is attempting to bring harm to the hard workers at the center and I am not going to allow you to do that through my website.

Proud Texan
December 25th, 2009, 5:29 AM
Rick all you have to do is go to the video that comes with the story that you posted and it tells how he lied about the financial situation. Go ahead and delete the messages like you always delete my messsages(but I was told that it took both of you to agree to delete them but when I asked her about something she had no clue about what you did). And saying someone is acting like a coward is saying that they are a coward. And nobody would dare call me a coward to my face. This is not only your website this is someone elses to, and when she asked me to join over here and I was hesitant not because of her but because of you and your obvious dislike of me from the other website. Have you not noticed that I don't come on here as much as I used to, maybe it is your attitude towarads me. In fact the way I feel right now anybody that advertises with you will not be getting any of my business either.

Rick
December 25th, 2009, 6:00 AM
Yawn.

You can go run to Scarlett to tattle on me all you want, that really doesn't bother me. All I did was ask you to either support your claim, or at the very least, identify yourself to the man you are attempting to harm, but you won't do that.

pioneer
December 25th, 2009, 1:52 PM
well PT to complain about it on Christmas day is pretty sad , like a mad little kid

Proud Texan
December 25th, 2009, 4:40 PM
Pioneer obviously you don't know me because I have been complaining about this organization for years. And when someone calls me a coward I don't care what day of the year it is I will defend myself.

Rick
December 25th, 2009, 4:48 PM
:beathorse :falldown

Proud Texan
December 25th, 2009, 4:52 PM
Yea Rick that is what I feel like doing when you can't even go look at the video and see what was said for yourself, where it clearly stated that he intentionally misled people into thinking they had less money than what they actually had because he was afraid that it would hurt the donations that they would be getting. And intentionally misleading people is the same thing as lying. In fact didn't they just put some woman in jail for intentionally misleading people into thinking that she had breast cancer when she wanted breast implants.

prideworks
December 25th, 2009, 6:19 PM

Scarlett:

I would like to commend you for refusing to respond to the "stupid-ass comments" bait that some posters are throwing in your face. :chatter
You are doing an excellent job of repeatedly drawing the conversation back to the primary topic for this thread. :thumbsup

I had a few dealings with second chance when I was in Killeen and had good feelings about the first encounter and mixed feelings about the second. Having normally worked with city and state shelters before this, I get the feeling that a lot of the issue is lack of structure and control; ie, inconsisent management. And, having worked on several non-profit boards, I can attest that this is a repetitive challenge. Sometimes you get people with good management and business skills, and other times...................:unsure:

And by the way, Merry Christmas to you and Rick, hope you both have a safe and peaceful holiday..Alma

Rick
December 25th, 2009, 6:35 PM
I had a long conversation with Mr. Grammas a couple weeks ago. We discussed the news story and he told me that the expenses for Second Chance are $24,000 per month. That are hurting since the fire due to the fact that they don't have adoption money coming in.

He also told me that after the fire, they had the entire electrical system thoroughly checked and found some wiring that had been chewed by rats and mice, and that has to be repaired. It was my understanding that the insurance money only covered the fire damage.

His philosophy on the rebuilding is that the first fire was an accident, the next one would be on him if he didn't fix the problems that are identified. The cause of the first was an oven that had been donated.

I invited him to come here and inform people of these things. I told him that I was amazed that their expenses were so high.

Thank you Alma, I hope you have a great holiday season as well.

poundpup
December 26th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Let me get in on this one, since I have no clue where Proud Texan's hatred comes from. I do not know who Proud Texan is, but I won't hesitate to put my name to my posts.

The news story that PT is referring to was skewed on purpose in order to benefit from sensationalism. If you would please read the entire web archive, not just view the video, you will see a lot of the rest of the story.

Any smart financial adviser will tell you and your family to have at least 6 months' operating expenses saved up in the bank for bad times. The reason why the organization has money in the bank, is just that: a cushion for bad times.

It is easy to just want to believe one side of the story, but out of fairness, I would like for you to open your mind and read the full statement on the CentexHumaneSociety.com (http://www.centexhumanesociety.com/donations.shtml) website.

There is no need for hatred here. The Centex Humane Society is made up of volunteers. Many of them have dedicated many hours to ensure that animals are shown at Petsmart and Petco on the weekends, do fundraisers in the heat and in the cold, shuttle animals to and from rescues, keep the books in tip top shape, shovel gravel, foster animals in need of special one on ones, maintain their online listings of available animals .... and do a host of other tasks out of the goodness of their hearts.

The staff there is dedicated to the animals and their welfare and have given more of themselves and their resources than you normally experience in a place of employment.

I do not understand how you can have such vile feelings about these people and that place...

Like I said, I do not know who you are, Proud Texan, but I am

Liz Rainey
aka Pound Pup

prideworks
December 27th, 2009, 4:48 PM
:beathorse :falldown

ROTFLMAOAPTFWABIMH!

And Rick, unless you know the whole verbage, you'll have to message me on this one..

Proud Texan
December 28th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Liz it is very well documented on here and the other forum my problems with second chance animal shelter. And there have been other people that have come on here and have had similar experiences as I have. I am just the most vocal of the ones that come on here.

As far as me giving my name that will not happen. Due to the fact that I do criticize my employer on here at times. But my good friends do know who I am on here and some of them are even posters on here as well.