PDA

View Full Version : Meeting

Texas Immigrant
July 11th, 2011, 9:01 AM
How long does it normally take for dogs and a kitten to get familiar with each other. We just got a new kitten on Saturday. We've kept it in our powder room and have put the dogs in their kennels when we've let him out. Our littlest dog, a corgi/dachshund mix seems to be doing okay. I have them out together right now. The kitten will spit and hiss at him and he keeps his distance. Our border collie is another story. He's much bigger and more hyper. We have to keep him kenneled while the cat is out.

Are we doing this the right way? And if so, how long do you think it will take before they all get along?

Thanks!

Brad Buckley, D.V.M.
July 11th, 2011, 9:46 AM
The amount of time it takes for familiarization between animals varies case by case. It depends on the personalities of all involved. I recommend strict supervision at first and stay at the ready to prevent an injury. Typically after a few supervised introductions the dogs will develop an acceptance and the hopefully the kitty will develop a playful indifference.

Good luck with the new critter family!!

Texas Immigrant
July 11th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Thanks! If it doesn't work out do you want a lively border collie? :)

Night Owl
July 11th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Keep the dog, get rid of the cat.

mac
July 11th, 2011, 11:07 AM
Texas Immigrant: be very careful of what you do! 3 or 4 weeks ago a small kitten got in my yard and my little jack russle shook it to death.....mac

Texas Immigrant
July 11th, 2011, 1:43 PM
Thank you for the warning. Our little guy seems fine with it, I've even taken him off the leash when I'm socializing them. He just kind of ignores the little guy, I think he respects him. But our border collie is a little more high strung, I won't dare let him off the leash for a while. I also don't let the smaller dog and the cat interact with each other unless I'm in the room with them. I don't want any tragedies or unnecessary trips to the vet.

INTBS
August 17th, 2011, 5:45 PM
we recently added a pup to our home that already has a cat. They get alone great. Its fun to watch them wrestle around the house.:)

dawglover
August 18th, 2011, 10:42 AM
How long does it normally take for dogs and a kitten to get familiar with each other. We just got a new kitten on Saturday. We've kept it in our powder room and have put the dogs in their kennels when we've let him out. Our littlest dog, a corgi/dachshund mix seems to be doing okay. I have them out together right now. The kitten will spit and hiss at him and he keeps his distance. Our border collie is another story. He's much bigger and more hyper. We have to keep him kenneled while the cat is out.

Are we doing this the right way? And if so, how long do you think it will take before they all get along?

Thanks!

Ted Nugget wrote and performed a great rock song about a situation like this -- "Cat Scratch Fever."