PDA

View Full Version : Killeen Transfer Station

engteach64
July 8th, 2011, 1:48 PM
I had posted elsewhere and received a few comments about the transfer station on Ft. Hood road burning down. I wanted to clarify this.

It is open. I had the supervisor at my house yesterday looking at some stuff, and asked. He said they have quite a bit of damage to repair, but they are definitely open for business.

Here are a few things I learned this week:

You may put out 6 cubic yards of debris per week for free (4'x4'x12'). If you have more than that you are charged 7.00 per 1 cubic yard over that.

You may take up to 300 pounds of debris to the dump per month for free as long as you have your water bill. That is a one time thing. You cannot bring 300 pounds in multiple trips, only one. Anything over 300 pounds is at the cost of 2.93 per 100 pounds with a minimum of 100 pounds.

You may put out as many bags of yard clippings, etc. that you have, as long as they are securely tied, and weigh less than 50 pounds. They picked up 12 bags from my house this morning.

The hours for the station are:
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday - 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Wednesday and Saturday - 8:00 AM to 3:00 PM
The number for them is 501-7785, and the employees are wonderfully friendly. I have spoken to several people there, and they have all been wonderful to me. The supervisor came out and looked at my pile of trees and advised me not to spend the money for them to come get it, but to put it out a little at a time or use the transfer station. I really apprecaited his advice as I was not going to spend 400.00 to have them haul it off. Yes, I have LOTS of trees in my yard that were cut down.

Okay, that about does it. I know this time of year these are questions I always wonder because I didnt' save the brochure they gave me when I started service. I hope this is helpful to anyone who lives in Killeen. :)

RalphCossey
July 8th, 2011, 2:41 PM
6 cubic yards of debris per week for free (4'x4'x12')?

Is that like a couch? old computers? rusty bicycles? broken plastic wading pools?

Or is that like sticks and tree timmings?

engteach64
July 8th, 2011, 2:56 PM
This is for the brush collection, as long as it fits those perameters. Well, no oil cans brake fluid, contaminated oil, pesticides, gasoline, grease, fertilizers, or anitfreeze. (Antifreeze can be taken to the recycling center though).

Couches, appliances, etc. can be placed on the curb are for an additional fee. You will have to check with the city. I think they do a planned pick up at specific times of the year. If you place a fridge out you have to have a certification that there is no freeon in it. It says the minimum fee for these type of collections is 20.00 per collection stop up to three cubic yards. Over 3 cubic yards is 7.00 per cubic yard.

No matter what, everyone's best option is to take larger items to the transfer station. It is free as long as you have your water bill. I think you can only do one time a month for free, so fill your truck or trailer up! 300 pound maximum for free, then 2.93 per 100 pounds after that.

I sound like I work there don't I? :) I just happened to change my water over and got the pamplet, and have been asking lots of questions with the tree disposal I am doing. I am a walking pamphlet for the city right now. Give me a month and I will forget all of this. :)

CenTexDave
July 8th, 2011, 5:33 PM
Because they (and it's not just Killeen - Cove is the same way) only take appliances and furniture once a month or so, the dumpsters and doorways of the local Goodwill and Salvation Army stores fill up fast.

gnatsum
July 8th, 2011, 10:02 PM
Last week. a resident on my street stripped out the interior of a '90 Buick Skylark 4-door, and dumped it all by the curb--the carpets, the seats, the door panels, headliner, and the dashboard pieces (they couldn't figure out how to remove it in one piece?!?)
They also had the grill, headlights, and front bumper on the pile, in addition to their regular trash...and some old baby furniture.
Not sure what they did with the rest of the car (it WAS in their backyard...)

engteach64
July 9th, 2011, 12:09 PM
But, did the city pick it all up? :)

Just one more addition to all of my information. If you are dumping brush, that section of the transfer station is only open until 12:00 PM on Saturday's.

gnatsum
July 9th, 2011, 11:35 PM
Oh, it WAS picked up on the designated day for our street, but I don't know if the brush trucks, the recycling truck, or the regular bin-loader trash truck got it.

engteach64
July 10th, 2011, 11:20 AM
I'm sure whichever charges the most for the city picked it up. :)