PDA

View Full Version : For the Daddies

Scarlett
June 19th, 2011, 5:10 PM
I won't see my daddy again this Father's Day. I haven't been able to spend a Father's Day with him in...wow...9 years now. I thought I'd try to write down all the ways my Daddy changed my life. There are so many, I don't know if I can begin to name them.

He taught me the value of hard work. We aren't talking about cleaning your room spotless either. Oh no, we're talking back breaking, sweating in the Kansas sun, country folk work from sun up to sun down. And it hurt. A Lot.

He taught me that the phrase, "You just wait til your Daddy gets home!" had many different meanings... Most of them bad.

He was so brave, he taught me to drive a manual transmission, little Chevy on a county road when I was my barely tall enough to reach the pedals and still see over the dash. Now that I'm a parent, I can appreciate this oh-so-much more. I'm not ready for this. Maybe he'll teach my kids too?

He taught me to shoot guns. LOTS of guns. From the age of about 5 on upward, he taught me to respect them for what they are. We didn't have gun safes but we didn't need them... Why? You just wait til your Daddy comes home...

He taught me to fish. Not just handing me the reel all ready tossed in, but rather how to tie on the hooks and weights, stab a nasty worm just right, and cast it out where I wanted it...have the patience to wait for that slight feeling...and yank that fish in. Then, oh yes, I had to remove him from the hooks and get bit, shredding my thumbs.

He taught me to ride a bike. He swore he wouldn't let go, but then he did and I didn't mind because I knew if I fell down he'd be right there to put me back on the seat again.

He taught me to drink beer. This is important. Kids whose parents neglect to teach them the power of alcohol often end up in the ER or worse. Daddy taught me slowly, but I needed to know and respect it to stay out of trouble and harms way. And many a man has learned the hard way since then that I wasn't joking when I said I really could put them under the table.

He taught me to stand up for my beliefs and what is right, even when it seems everyone is against you. Be strong. You are never given more than you can handle, you just can't see it right now.

He taught me that rotten tomatoes hurt a lot more than water balloons... so you better be able to run faster and throw harder...

There are so many things I've learned from my Daddy. Each time I see or speak to him, I learn more. Sometimes I look back on things he has done for me and my siblings and I realize the true power of a father's love is beyond all words. It is a feeling... knowing he's always there, for anything I need, even when he's hundreds of miles away... he'll always support me even when he knows darn well I am making a bad decision... and he'll pick me up, wipe my tears, commiserate then hand me a beer and say, "Time to get over it now."

He's picked me up more times than I can recall. His strength and determination have helped mold me into the strong woman I am today.

My daddy is the scent of sawdust and power tools. I can't sew on a button straight to save my life, but I can build just about anything given enough time and wood. Whenever I pass a construction sight, I catch the smell of my father in the breeze. It never fails to put a smile on my face and a memory in my mind.

To all you Daddies out there...you are loved...and you make more of a difference than you may realize.

Rick
June 19th, 2011, 5:38 PM
That's sweet.

Scarlett
June 19th, 2011, 5:38 PM
Yeah...he didn't teach me how to be sweet....lol. I got that way on my own! ;)

Scarlett
June 19th, 2011, 8:09 PM
This one if for my friend bbh....I thought about you after I saw this pop up on a friend's facebook today.
I know you are missing your daddy...and I'm guessing he would be quite proud of you right now.
Love ya, Me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQFWVBGCkXI

bbh
June 19th, 2011, 8:22 PM
That was so sweet and thoughtful of you. You do know how much I miss him....every single day of my life. He was the dearest and kindest man. He was the absolute best father and grandfather. He would have adored his beautiful great-grandchildren and cherished their funny little ways. I would give anything just to spend one more hour with him.

Thank you, Scarlett.

jack
June 20th, 2011, 6:07 AM
Thank you. I was lucky to also have great parents