PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else like/watch "pro Wrestling"?

King_of_kings
February 7th, 2009, 7:00 PM
I was wondering, I know its not a "sport" but it is sports entertainment, Anyone else out there willing to go on record as being a fan of wrestling? Be it WWE, TNA or even the old school WWF, WCW, ECW. Lets see how many of you are willing to admit to it...

kantwin
February 7th, 2009, 7:16 PM
The only time I watched wrestling was when I was in Germany.
One channel. . . only thing on.
That was before cable was in the housing areas.
About halfway through my tour in Germany, I bought a very expensive 486 computer. A whopping 2MB of RAM, and a 100MB hard drive.
That was the end of my wrestling watching days.

cityboy
February 7th, 2009, 9:47 PM
If you're a wrestling fan, you oughta go see the movie, "The Wrestler." As far as being a fan and watching/following "professional" wrestling, I really don't see the point ... except, maybe, for female wrestling. That's a whole 'nuther thing, baby ... ;)

Scarlett
February 7th, 2009, 10:54 PM
That's a whole 'nuther thing, baby ... ;)
Perv
:-Q

cityboy
February 8th, 2009, 9:58 AM
Awwww, darlin' ... :( ... I ain't no perv ... well, maybe jes a little ...

CenTexDave
February 8th, 2009, 10:02 AM
It's a freaking joke.
Back in the 70's I was stationed in Hawaii after a tour in RVN. I lived next door to an MP. Wrestling was big in Honolulu - they televised it live every Friday night from the Honolulu Civic Center and on Saturday afternoons. Every other Saturday night the wrestlers would stage a program at Schofield Barracks. One Saturday night this MP asked if I wanted to go with him as he had patrol duty at Conroy Bowl where the wrestling takes place. He took me into the locker room prior to the wrestling matches. All the guys were sitting around drinking Primo beer and deciding how the match would go. After the matches, which are entertaining and the crowd goes wild, we went back into the locker room and they were eating and drinking more beer and laughing it up. One of the "bad guy" wrestlers at the time on Hawaii went by the name of Ripper Collins. He had a big beer bug, platinum hair, etc. I was talking to him. Nicest guy in the world. Turns out he was a school teacher, little league coach and voted "Man of the Year" in a Honolulu suburb where he lived!!!! His tag team partner that night was a clown named "Handsome Johnny Barand" - played the role of a psycho. Another nice guy. Told me he comes to Hawaii once a year for a two month vacation and wrestles, then goes back to New York.

cityboy
February 8th, 2009, 10:12 AM
It's a freaking joke.
Back in the 70's I was stationed in Hawaii after a tour in RVN. I lived next door to an MP. Wrestling was big in Honolulu - they televised it live every Friday night from the Honolulu Civic Center and on Saturday afternoons. Every other Saturday night the wrestlers would stage a program at Schofield Barracks. One Saturday night this MP asked if I wanted to go with him as he had patrol duty at Conroy Bowl where the wrestling takes place. He took me into the locker room prior to the wrestling matches. All the guys were sitting around drinking Primo beer and deciding how the match would go. After the matches, which are entertaining and the crowd goes wild, we went back into the locker room and they were eating and drinking more beer and laughing it up. One of the "bad guy" wrestlers at the time on Hawaii went by the name of Ripper Collins. He had a big beer bug, platinum hair, etc. I was talking to him. Nicest guy in the world. Turns out he was a school teacher, little league coach and voted "Man of the Year" in a Honolulu suburb where he lived!!!! His tag team partner that night was a clown named "Handsome Johnny Barand" - played the role of a psycho. Another nice guy. Told me he comes to Hawaii once a year for a two month vacation and wrestles, then goes back to New York.

That's exactly the way it was depicted in the movie -- cool ...

King_of_kings
February 8th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Me I have been a fan since I was about 2. I understood very young that it was fake, I mean how can you smash a chair over someones head and they get right back up. Lol , Im 5'10' 250 with 19" arms ( yes I work out, being on the strong side comes in handy in my line of work) so if I put a chair into your forehead your ass aint jumping right back up. So for me it was alway just a break from reality. The over the top storylines, the characters, the whole atmosphere of it just always kept me into it.

Now I am older and still a fan, although I still wish the days of Hulk Hogan and Andre the Giant had never ended, but I still watch it on Mondays, thrusdays, and fridays, as well as most of the pay per views.

Go ahead... call me names... lol I wont ban you for calling me things I have been called before....

Scarlett
February 8th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Ummm....freak.
Just TRY to ban ME.
lol.

I will admit, as a KID, I watched Hulk Holgan. But guess what happened? I FREAKING GREW UP. :-BD

Rick
February 8th, 2009, 2:53 PM
I don't watch it. But it has done wonders for the steroid industry.

King_of_kings
February 8th, 2009, 5:02 PM
LOL Scarlett, I grew up physically, just tend to stay a kid at heart is all...

Dagobert II
February 9th, 2009, 7:19 AM
Not that I am, but were I into pro wrestling, I'd be a fan of the NWWL (http://www.nwwl.com/). =p~

Scarlett
February 9th, 2009, 7:50 AM
Jeesh DAG...THANKS...so glad I clicked on that to see all those boobies on my damn screen. Thank God I am NOT AT WORK TODAY!! X_X

THEMEANOGRE
February 9th, 2009, 9:54 AM
In junior high, we lived in the suburbs of Atlanta, in an apartment complex. I can remember the Stasiaks(sp) saying, "I love you, honey!" That little tiny Polish woman gave as good as she got. Most of the Atlanta area wrestlers lived in our complex. They would hang out by the pool. Once they took me and a friend to practice one day and we learned quite a bit. Wrestling is NOT fake, but it IS scripted. And they use various gimmicks, like cosmetic tricks to make things look like something they're not.
I always thought the writers of the 80s & 90s story lines were unemployed soap opera writers.

King_of_kings
February 9th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Orge, you are my new best friend lol

Thats what i try to get alot of people to understand, that it is scripted. Alot of these guys were former college football stand outs that didnt make it to the NFL, others worked their butts off to be a wrestler.

The 80's & 90's were the best period of it, which ended the day Vince Russo, former head writer for WWF & WCW came up with the wonderful idea that they should stop treating the belts as championships and start treating them as "props" That was when Pro Wrestling started its decline

the stig
February 10th, 2009, 1:58 PM
Not much of a fan of WWE. I do watch TNA. Seems like more goes on in a six sided ring. Vince Russo writes for TNA. What does everyone think of the Main Event Mafia story line. Not sure having Sting turning into a heel really worked.

King_of_kings
February 10th, 2009, 7:52 PM
Stig, To be honest, the Main Event Mafia is nothing more then a rehashed, sharp dressed verison of the nWo. Yes they have all been World Champions, Yes they are true veterans and deserve the respect of the roster and the fans, but the storylines, which have a very Vince Russo-ish feel to them are hard to follow at times and too dialouge heavy... I want to see Kurt Angle in the ring where is truely is one of the best, if not the all time best performer, not back stage doing a wanna-be Tony Sopraino routine for an hour...

the stig
February 12th, 2009, 7:59 AM
I couldn't argee more. I would like to see all of MEM back in the ring. Especialy Angle.
It is getting to be to much out of ring show. Need to see MEM perform more like the Four Horsemen. More in ring action and less monolauge.

Gonzo
February 27th, 2009, 4:28 AM
As a kid I was a fan of the 'original' Hulk Hogan and the Ultimate Warrior and then I lost track of it all until the Rock headlined all the events a number of years ago - including the ppv Hulk v Rock showdown that ended up as nothing more than a passing of the torch between the two greats.
Since 'the Rock's' departure, i haven't kept up with it. the recent cats I watched, Chris Benoit, the Undertaker, Triple-H have either committed murder-suicide or complete identity overhauls even to the point that the age-old WWF label - that Hulk, Rowdy Roddy Piper, Ultimate Warrior and etc. created -- became the WWE, it's just not the same.
It may be scripted, but these guys are headline actors who do their own stunts, essentially. How many of Hollywood's A-list can say the same? It's a 'sport' that they have to maintain their physique and build but it's also a lot of acting. In Hollywood, it's either one or the other. In the WWE, it's all or nothing.

King_of_kings
March 4th, 2009, 7:05 PM
I agree. None of the "BIG" hollywood stars can say that they do ALL their own stunts, work 320+ days a year, and go to Iraq to spend time and put on a free show for our troops.

Also like i said before, back in the old WWF days the belts actually meant something, and by default, the SHOW meant something... Now that the belts are treated as just "props", the show has suffered...