PDA

View Full Version : Vectra

joyohjoy
June 3rd, 2011, 10:18 AM
Does anyone use Vectra on their dogs? I have and I hate it. I will be going back to FrontLine after the next month. The Vectra is hot on their skin when you put it on and it smells terrible. Should have bought one month instead of three. Guess you learn by trial and error.

Spartan
June 3rd, 2011, 10:21 AM
Ok, it's hot and it stinks... but does it control ticks and fleas... better or worse than Frontline?... is the temporary discomfort and odor perhaps a good trade-off?

Rotti_mama
June 3rd, 2011, 10:33 AM
I like Frontline the best.

Brad Buckley, D.V.M.
June 3rd, 2011, 11:40 AM
We have had a few clients complain about Vectra and it apparently making the dog uncomfortable when applied. However, this is a small number compared to the total number of doses dispensed. I personally have used Vectra on my dogs and have found it to be an excellent product, especially when it comes to ticks.

I have limited my recommendation of Frontline over the past couple of years due to many complaints from clients about it not being as effective as it had been in the past. Yet there are many people that still use it with good results.

My policy is 100% client satisfaction when it comes to these products. If a client is concerned about side-effects or efficacy then I will make it right for them and provide them with an alternative product. It is important for me to manage expectations as fleas are a premise problem and not just a dog or cat problem. So if you are using an expensive product and still having issues then you must look at your environment as well.

Night Owl
June 3rd, 2011, 1:09 PM
Keep the ticks/fleas out of your yard are you won't have a problem. I treat my yard, not my pets.

THEMEANOGRE
June 3rd, 2011, 1:20 PM
For a pet treatment, "Pet Armor" sounds promising. For a yard treatment, I recommend Amway's Liquid Organic Cleaner (LOC). Put a liter in a garden sprayer set to 50/50 mix. Used 2/ year, it keeps the bugs at bay. The grass stays a lush, healthy green with a minimum of watering.

Brad Buckley, D.V.M.
June 3rd, 2011, 1:55 PM
"Pet Armor" is exactly the same as Frontline. I have not used it but it should work comparably to Frontline. Night Owl makes a good point about treating the environment. Diligent treatment of environment (yard, house and pet bedding) is crucial in controlling fleas. Hopefully your neighbors will work as hard at their environment as you work on yours.

THEMEANOGRE
June 3rd, 2011, 2:11 PM
"Pet Armor" is exactly the same as Frontline.
That is what the commercials say. But, "Pet Armor" sells for about half the price of "Frontline".

Brad Buckley, D.V.M.
June 3rd, 2011, 2:22 PM
The patent ran out on the compound in Frontline, fipronil, and Pet Armor is Wal-Mart's generic version. And yes it is much cheaper.

joyohjoy
June 3rd, 2011, 4:30 PM
Just so everyone knows, I do treat the yard and it helps. The problem with Vectra is really the heat on my dogs skin when applied and the kerosene smell. I have a neighbor who does nothing for their dog so we constantly fight fleas. My dogs live like queens and he lives like a pauper. Thank you Dr Buckley for the call.

Night Owl
June 4th, 2011, 3:26 PM
Treat the border of your yard extra heavy to form a barrier against the fleas and ticks. They may get through but they die soon afterwards. I do this every year and my dogs haven't had either in over 5 years and I do not put chemicals on my dogs.