PDA

View Full Version : High Anxiety during thunderstorms

gray haired granny
May 21st, 2011, 8:11 PM
My large Australian Shepperd mix is terrified of thunderstorms and rain. He is now 8 yrs old and we have had him since he was only 6 months old. Do the over the counter anxiety calming supplements really work, or should I visit my vet?

He tears through the privacy fence and has scratched the paint off the back door. Any advise is appreciated.

siamcat
May 21st, 2011, 8:26 PM
Can you bring him in the house during thunderstorms when you're home and just play cuddle with him? That way he would learn to associate them with pleasant things.

gray haired granny
May 21st, 2011, 9:23 PM
We do this. Today when we got home, he had made his way through the fence and was on the porch waiting for us. I guess he was hoping one of the cats would let him in. He hates fireworks, thunderstoms, tries to eat the vet, very high anxiety and olny weighs 75 lbs.

Brad Buckley, D.V.M.
May 21st, 2011, 9:30 PM
I'm now enjoying this stormy evening with the company of my 107# Great Dane that also suffers from thunderstorm anxiety. She has gotten worse over the years and now sticks like velcro to us during the storms. There are medications that can help with anxiety but you have to be a better weatherman than I to be able to predict when you'll need them and be home at an appropriate time to administer. We have created a safe place for our dog during the storms and she now goes directly to the rug in our bedroom and rests pretty well until the storm passes. It took some time and we had to sit with her for several storms but now she stays put and we go about our business without her knocking us down.

JoAnn Purser
May 21st, 2011, 9:45 PM
I am watching movies while listening to the snoring of four dogs in my home too.

Amazing behavior an hour or so before the storm and lightening came through. I always know when we really are going to get rain or if it is a false alarm.

I have one that has no anxiety (really gritty dog) but I just thought she should come in with the others.

Two Black Mouth Curs 75 lbs each, a Blue Heeler and a Catahoulla.

Life's Good :-)

engteach64
May 21st, 2011, 11:14 PM
I have two beagles. Our male would hang outside in the storm if he could. He does have his limits, but no anxiety. Our female (thinks she's a cat) is terrified of storms. More than anything it is the water. She went out today and really had to think about how bad she needed to go before finally venturing out in the rain (it was only sprinkling for Pete's sake). She's such a wimp, but I love snuggling with her during these times though. Sometimes she is so close that she is almost behind me, but I love snuggling with my baby girl.

Mestral
May 22nd, 2011, 8:00 AM
Mine is afraid of the sound of the wind in the window screens (even with the windows shut). I made his crate into a cave-style den, with blankets covering all but the (extended) doorway. When I am in the office, I have a filter fan and a computer fan that he lays between, that blocks out the sound of the wind.

engteach64
May 22nd, 2011, 4:46 PM
Mestral, I like your quote underneath your post. :)

SamBrown
May 22nd, 2011, 9:23 PM
Our first dog (a mutt) was terrified of thunderstorms and fireworks. He would go hiding in one of the closets for hours.

Deb
May 30th, 2011, 1:40 PM
I have a female pomeranian who's terrified of thunder and fireworks. She came to me that way 4.5 years ago. I just let her snuggle up to me and let her go. The only other dog I've known to hate thunder was a neighbor's dog who I used to watch when they left town. She was worse than Taffee, but then again she was a collie mix.

Grammar Rules
June 2nd, 2011, 6:41 AM
One of our large dogs is terrified of thunder, firecrackers, and gunshots (we live in the country, not in a crime wave). The other dog just doesn't like to get her feet wet. They have Dogloos and a large covered patio. When we are home, we let them in during noisy events, but if it storms when we are away, the nervous one has a hissy fit!

There's an ad running on tv that touts a "thunder shirt" that "hugs" the dog and calms it. Sounds doubtful, but has anyone tried one?

Spartan
June 2nd, 2011, 6:55 AM
Just more info from Amazon:

The Anxiety Wrap uses a technique called "maintained pressure" to aid in calming your animal thereby allowing your dog to redirect their focus. When used with gentle training methods, the Anxiety Wrap can significantly reduce thunder phobia, barking, and other behaviors that would benefit from calming.

The Anxiety Wrap was created to fill an existing need, it's a holistic approach and an alternative to traditional behavior modification for dog and cats. The Anxiety Wrap can ease your dog and cat's anxieties. When used properly it has proven positive to increase balance, self-confidence, focus, preparation for and during training, animal to animal socialization, animal to human socialization, bonding, relaxation, and gait awareness. And there's more...Anxiety Wrap can help to end dog and cat aggression, shyness, nervousness, releasing stress and tension, end jumping, stop destructive chewing, fear biting, car sickness, unnecessary barking, shyness, fear of loud noises, thunderstorm fear, sensitivity to touch, sensitive to sound, aloofness, emotional upset, hyperactivity, grooming issues and other anxieties.

A brief explanation of how it works. The Anxiety Wrap is a wrap that applies slight pressure across a wide area of the body, stimulating the body's receptors to aid in the transmission of different sensations to different parts of the brain. When the animal receives this new information, it's awareness and focus can change, resulting in the animal "letting go" of the old sensation and modifying its behavior. A similar technique is used in children and adults with autism, providing a calming effect.

I only wish they made one in my wife's size. She's not autistic but she has most of those other problems.:)

Mestral
June 2nd, 2011, 3:56 PM
Just more info
providing a calming effect.

I only wish they made one in my wife's size. She's not autistic but she has most of those other problems.:)

For your wife, that is why God gave us, men, arms. Now, if only I could be home for every storm :p

Back on topic, it seems like the pressure wrap has potential, but I note it says with training, but it doesn't say what kind of training. May be as easy as playing a game of fetch while wearing it, to keep the animal occupied, but I really don't know. I do know a couple of my animals that were afraid of storms would either squeeze in between my wife and I on the bed, or between the sofa and the wall, for comfort.

Spartan
June 2nd, 2011, 4:15 PM
... squeeze in between my wife and I on the bed, or between the sofa and the wall, for comfort.

Now there's a thought, next time she acts up I'll let her squeeze between me and my dog. :) :)