PDA

View Full Version : Water Heater

FieryPrincess
May 14th, 2011, 3:46 PM
So the water heater went bad. Not a surprise as hard the water is and that it is a 9-year old unit. We call a plumber who diagnosed the problem and was ready to fix it RIGHT THEN. We call property management for the approval and are told that she will call her plumber.

It took forever for him to call and in interim, I called her back. The water is brown, so I wouldn't call it drinkable, but she told me that it wasn't a property code issue.

Something doesn't seem right about that.

CenTexDave
May 14th, 2011, 7:28 PM
Darn right something isn't right about that. Call the health department.
I have no use for landlords who blow tenants off like that. It certainly isn't your fault the unit went belly up. If they were so concerned about it they should drain it quarterly.
Raise hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ithoughtso
May 14th, 2011, 9:46 PM
What's the name of your rental company?

FieryPrincess
May 15th, 2011, 11:47 AM
We rent in San Antonio. Somehow, considering where we are, I didn't expect to find the same sorts of rental issues that run rampant in the Fort Hood area.

Incidentally, I did find water heaters in the property code. I am now trying to figure out (I'll have to reread the lease) if THEY broke the lease in failing to provide a devide that heats up water to 120 degrees Farenheit (as that code stated).

I also can't figure out why she was upset that *I* found a plumber who could have had it fixed in two hours on a Saturday. We were willing to pay some of the expense for that because I understand that it was our plumber and not hers, but we never had the chance to offer... *Her* plumber wasn't able to fix it because he didn't have parts. Knowing what little I do, I suspect that he is going to try and repair with with just a couple of parts and not a replacement. If that's the case, then for sure we'll have to find another place to live because I don't want to go through this again next year when the parts give out. Shoot - the water is so hard here that the entire unit is compromised after nine years. I'll bet it was NEVER drained in that time at all since this has been a rental house for 6 of it's 9 years of existence. I went through water heater problems a couple of years ago (ironicallyin May) when we were selling our Harker Heights home. I don't see what the big deal is with the replacement...

The saddest part is that she feels she has done a good job because she called someone quickly. It doesn't seem to matter to her that they won't act quickly or that they were not as prepared for the job as the plumber WE ALREADY HAD THERE!!!!

I am still seething over this. (in case you can't tell)

dragonfly
May 15th, 2011, 12:03 PM
You're suppose to drain your water heater? How often?

CenTexDave
May 15th, 2011, 6:50 PM
Depends on how hard the water is and how much sentiment may build up in the bottom of the tank. I drain mine every six months. Just shut off the water, open the pressure relief valve and let all the air out, hook a garden hose up to the drain valve and turn it on. You'd be surprised at the amount of garbage that will empty out of it.

Spartan
May 15th, 2011, 7:02 PM
Be sure to keep the pressure relief valve open even after the air has been let out because that valve then will become an air inlet to allow the water to drain. If you close the valve you will build up a vacuum which will cause most of the water to remain in the heater.

If your water is as bad as Copperas Cove water, you might also want to replace the anode periodically. From your description of the color of your hot water, that may well be the root cause of your problem. An anode's life depends on the quality of the water, the amount of use the tank gets, the water temperature, and the quality of the tank. When salt is added to the water (as in softened water), anodes corrode more quickly. Water softeners help reduce sediment, but anodes can corrode in as little as six months if the water is over-softened. Never soften to zero.

cnjbond
May 19th, 2011, 1:59 PM
I think I need to take a look at my water heater!!!

FieryPrincess
May 21st, 2011, 7:58 AM
Well, the one we finally gotis a Taj Mahal of water heaters. I tend to think the plumber took property management for a ride rather than thinking property management wanting to give us an excellent water heater. This sucker has dual heating elements and thermostats and this little tank on top that looks like a hat.

They didn't set the thermostats so I had go in and do that, and he didn't clean up all his mess.

I wonder how much all that cost them because I am sure it was too much.

CenTexDave
May 21st, 2011, 9:18 AM
Probably well in excess of $1,000.